C25K beginners - struggle with W1D1

jayne289 said:
I did another week one session tonight, I started running/walking a week ago but it was a few days before I found out about the couch to 5k plan. So technically I've only completed week one days one and two. Definitely still a struggle, especially when it gets to the 6th minute jog!

I might be getting ahead of myself but I found out tonight that a sprint triathalon is only 5k run, 20k cycle and 750m swim, so I've set myself the goal of completing that in the space of one day by June 1st!

Wow sprint triathalon! Sounds great :)

Wow Jayne, well done, go for it!!

I might be a bit naive but I don't think it will be that difficult. The hardest part for me will be the 5k run, I started my diet/healthy lifestyle over a month ago by using my exercise bike at home and because it builds up your leg muscles so quickly I find that I can be on there for an hour and the only problem I have is being bored!

As for the swimming part, about ten years ago when I was a kid I used to compete for the county in diving competitions and butterfly - the horrible stroke where you put in tons of effort but look like a fool splashing around!

We shall see if I still have that attitude in a month or so. And although it is a sprint triathalon I don't think I will be sprinting the whole way....

I'm SO pleased to have come across this thread. I tried C25K a couple of months back and actually cried on the treadmill when I could not finish Day 1. So I did what I always do, I gave up. Reading this thread has given me a kick up the backside to try again.

Thanks

I completed w2d1! With no cheating or extra breaks! For anyone reading this that it stuck on week one and is too worried about going for week two just do it, i spent five days on week one thinking i couldnt possibly work any harder but i did it!

Brilliant Jayne, well done! Good encouragement!
I have a super blister today on ball of my foot: ouch! So, doubt I will be doing it today :-((
Go for it everyone else!!

What do u have to do in wk 2? I should do my last week 1 this w/e. :)

You do the brisk walk warm up, then 90 seconds of jogging with 2 minutes of walking, and keep that up for 20 minutes which is 6 lots of jogging. In a way its a tiny bit easier than week one because there are less jogs for you to do. So dont be afraid to go up to week two when your done!

Although saying that I have pain in my knee, was going to go for w2d2 because I have a busy weekend ahead, but looks like its just a swim for me tonight to help it recover a bit!

Did w1d2 today: was great, except my trousers were falling down! I had to trot with one hand holding them on! What a great problem to have, I dud giggle, but will wear something else next time! Lol
Hope you all get out there today?

Just found this thread (I can usually be found on the Slimming World forum).

I must admit I didnt find the first couple of weeks too challenging, but once it got to the 5 minute runs I found it quite a big jump. However, I've now just completed week 5, about to start week 6, and I think its really started to click for me. Week 5 seems a huge step when you start it, (it changes each day - day one is 3x5 min runs with 3min walks between, day 2 is 2x8min run, day 3 is one long 20 min run!). But its amazing how much your body has adapted without you even realising it.

I found the Robert Ullrey podcasts a little dull music wise and much prefer this site

Running Into Shape

Her voice overs at the start can be a bit cheesy, but its a better mix of music, and she has 2 diffent podcasts for each week so you can mix it up a little bit. Not all of it is my taste, but its better than the synthy techno style of the Robert Ullrey podcasts

Thanks, have to say I'm feeling quite chuffed about getting this far.

I do think that the programme progresses at a fairly challenging pace - I was reasonably fit to start with which is why I didnt find weeks 1 and 2 that difficult -but certainly noticed it getting harder as the weeks went on.

I've managed to progress on a pretty much weekly basis, but the great thing about this is that you can repeat a week, or repeat it a few times until you are ready for the next level.

All I would say though, is that if you are thinking about holding back and repeating a week, do at least try the following one - often you will find that you are ready, even if you think you arent! If its too hard, then no harm done, but its worth a try. I was convinced I wasnt ready for the 20 minute run -but I managed it just fine. And now when I do the 5 min bursts, I cant believe how easy it is - a few weeks ago I was dreading those.

It really is amazing just how quickly your body can adapt to running if you build it up at the right pace.

Love the image with your trousers Woodland girl!! :)
I am looking at the wet weather again :-( really hope it stops raining, w/e's are the only time I can go running.

I can't imagine been able to run for 5 mins, how great would that be!

Hi Shazzabir, yes, I can't wait to run 5 mins too. I have been googling how to run cos it seems there are special ways! Lol. Where to land correctly on your feet, how to hold arms etc. I know a guy who run that nutters race in Namibia (70 miles, 40 degrees) so I might ask him. At the moment I feel like I lumber along, use the wrong part of my feet and lean too far forward. I guess it is good to get technique sorted now before I do myself an injury!

Raining here too, but we are going to the wood later to cut and stack firewood so that will be my exercise today.
Hope you all have a good one
Tx

Hello all
So glad i found this post, started c25k tonight and thought that it was some sort of conspiracy to murder me. Am really pleased i managed to complete w1d1 but think there is a long road ahead, i started this with the hope of being able to run Race of Life in july and have allowed myself quite along time for training.

Well done needsmotivating! I am doing Race for life in July as well. :)

I did wk 1 day 3 yesterday! I must have looked quite ridiculous doing it thou, as I went out early morning and it was quite frosty and icy, so nearly fell on my bum several times! My running technique was quite shocking trying to avoid slipping! I was determined to finish thou :)

Hope the ice clears for you Shazzabir ! Well, you motivated me to get out so I have done w1d3 too! Felt great and I felt like I still had run in me at the end of each minute! Now sat with a pint of water and a carrot lol
T x

Back