C25K beginners - struggle with W1D1

Last week I got up to week 2 day one and have injured my knee so badly it hurts to walk let alone run, Im so gutted! i hope it goes away soon, little bit worried that all the progress I have made will be lost, it was last Wednesday when I had a run. Eugh! Has anyone else had this problem? x

So sorry to hear that jayne! I think that your body will still hold on to some of the new fitness. Please make sure you get your knee looked at and do the correct exercises to repair it. I didn't and as a result still have a sore knee many years later!
Hope you get better soon
Tx

Dr Google tell me it is runner knee, so my technique must be incorrect, going to try running on the front of the feet rather than heels when I can get back out. Was your injury caused by running?

x

Good old dr google!
Yeah my knee was from too much running as a teenager! I played tennis and hockey. It wasn't from a one off but something to do with muscle growth and exercise. So, I have to do stretches etc. It grinds- lovely!!

I looked up running technique on good old google and yes, we are meant to land more in the front of out feet and kind of roll forward. Relax hands, head up, don't lean forward. There is a little video!! Ha ha worth getting right now though. I might get some runner friends if mine to watch me and advise, but only when I am a bit braver :)
Get well soon

I did find some stuff about doing certain stretches to help it i might give them a go and see if it improves. Never thought I would be so bothered about not being able to do exercise but I am absolutely gutted. I should be doing week three day one tonight, but ah well!

oooh a video i will have to have a look! x

Hope u feel better soon Jayne. I would be pretty gutted if I couldn't exercise, but the main thing is to get better, u can always catch up with the exercise later. My problem area was my ankles, was quite painful to do any exercise, so I got some ankle supports and haven't had any problems since. They also do knee supports, would they help?

Think the video might be a good idea, better to start early with the right technique.

Well done for going out Woodland girl!

Fat me and Thin me had a huge row about going out today in the mud, cold drizzle! I did it and now completed w2d1!!
Feels good!

Well done woodland girl, sometimes a good argument with ourselves puts things into perspective

Well done woodland girl! How did u find the next level?

Absolutely fine! Weird eh? Quite looking forward to more running! Lol. Not sure what is wrong with me but loving it at the moment :)

Although, I am considering the need for proper running shoes. What do you others wear? Proper running trainers are so expensive...

Absolutely fine! Weird eh? Quite looking forward to more running! Lol. Not sure what is wrong with me but loving it at the moment :)

Although, I am considering the need for proper running shoes. What do you others wear? Proper running trainers are so expensive...

Do you have a sports direct near you? Hardly a nice shopping experience but cheap shoes, well relatively cheap. I bought some Nike+ sheruns for only £45 which is a lot cheaper than I thought they would be. They had a lot of different ones around that price, which if it helps you avoid an injury is totally worth it.

Committing to it by buying shoes at almost £50 makes you want to avoid wasting them by sticking them in a cupboard aswell!

Congratulations on wk2d1 I didnt find it too much of a struggle either was really surprised!

Thanks Jayne, yes, £50 would commit me, although I don't know if I could buy Nike cos of their ethics. Hard to make these choices sometimes! I will look into it and save up.
It's also dead muddy where I run so would want black ones. Lol
Hope you continue to do well
Tx

Just done week 2 day 2!! At the beginning of this venture I came home and collapsed. Today I came home, chopped firewood, loaded some sacks, brought them in and hung up washing!! Lol. Something must be working :/)

Well done Woodland Girl, sounds like your doing really well....!
I wont b going out until Sat, so not sure what week 2 is like yet. :-6

Week 2 is fine. Run for 90 sec walk 2 mins. Easy ish!!
Lol

Just realised that my running thing is co inciding with lack if weight loss. Now, loads of people say stuff about muscle weight, retaining water when exercising etc. I wonder how much of that is true ..? Not going to stop, but I hope the weight loss picks up again!

I think water retention is literally during exercise, not a long term effect of it. Muscle does weight more than fat but I don't think that any fat lost is replaced exactly pound for pound in muscle gain. I read somewhere - hardly a valuable source I know - that even bodybuilders with serious weight training regimes will only put on 14lb in a year if they work incredibly hard. And as women it is impossible for us to bulk up in that way as we don't have the amounts of testosterone necessary to build muscle!

Definitely don't stop, im sure if you stick with it you will find the pounds start to fall off again, a plateau is quite common in weight loss!

Im still suffering from a knee injury which is incredibly frustrating I really REALLY want to run!

I cant wait to hear how you find week three!!

Thanks Jayne that made sense! I did w2d3 today and got a stitch early on which made it more difficult. I travelled further so so it involved a huge hill aaaah! But the view was worth it. Going to force at least 2 days rest on myself as my knee is a little sore. Week 3 looks scary, run for 3 minutes! Haha.
Hope your knee gets better soon

Hiya peoples!
I started this in January and have just completed week 8 :-o. I find this AMAZING!! I've never run before, I'm not young, I'm not fit and I'm definitely not thin but this programme is ace - it works! Trust the programme LOL
I remember being terrified of week 3 and the 3minuter. When you've done it you'll feel ACE....until you look at the schedule for week 5 ;-)
Enjoy it, go carefully and keep checking in with your progress please :0) x

Hiya peoples!
I started this in January and have just completed week 8 :-o. I find this AMAZING!! I've never run before, I'm not young, I'm not fit and I'm definitely not thin but this programme is ace - it works! Trust the programme LOL
I remember being terrified of week 3 and the 3minuter. When you've done it you'll feel ACE....until you look at the schedule for week 5 ;-)
Enjoy it, go carefully and keep checking in with your progress please :0) x

Well done you.

I did week 2 day 2 yesterday after a break of nearly 2 weeks and it was hard but not as bad as my original week 1 day 1 so progress has been made.

Plan to do week 2 day 3 tomorrow and maybe week 3 day 1 on Tuesday.

I have a pair of New Balance. I was measured in a Runners World where they film you on a treadmill to see how you run and then advise. These are a wide fit and I use an gel insole thing under my heels.

They cost about £90 but I think are worth every penny.

Back