Calling all those 'Healthy eating' or 'Changing lifestyle'

... what is key to making the weight loss and better health long-lasting -- permanent lifestyle changes that work for you, as an individual. That is certainly my go -- at this point in my life. And, I am hoping to bring my family along with me.

MM

Yep, couldn't agree more. Diets can be useful to get you to a certain point, but they aren't sustainable long term - at some point you have to take the responsibility/control back for yourself, and feel able to rely on yourself to make the kind of sensible choices that work best for you long term. Otherwise you just stay in the 'on the diet/off the diet' vicious circle, which can so often lead to gaining back all the weight you've lost, and usually more.

Making the kind of permanent changes we're talking about can have a real knock-on effect with the family too, I've found. Leading by example is an excellent strategy there. :)

Morning all!

We adopted our 2nd dog yesterday called Dash he's a lab/whippet cross, and he's gorgeous! We already had archie who's a lab/jack russell cross and they are identical appart from their height! So i'm off for a nice long walk with them both today, gonna wear my sauna suit too so I can use it as a bit of a work out :D

Eating wise not doing too bad so still aiming for a loss just after xmas...

Hope your all well :)

Aww, hope you enjoyed your first walk with the new member of the family, Lisa! I so wish I could have a dog, but my three cats would pack their bags and leave home, I think. :cry:

Lab/Whippet is an unusual cross, no? I guess with a name like Dash he must have the Whippet's energy (which he'll need if he has the Lab's appetite!)

Thanks Elizabeth :)

I'd say the lab/jack russell cross is a bit more worrying condidering his mum was the kack russell!!! :giggle:

I loved our walk I was so surprised how well they walked together, they were as good as gold, played lovely with eachother and other dogs - and it was the best thing we could have done getting Dash!!

I'll hopefully get enough time to take them again today...:D

Hi LMac30 --

My friend has a Lurcher which I think is part greyhound part silky, maybe? Anyway, he is a bog food stealer -- has your new dog shown any bad habits, yet?

MM

Hey Mel,

No, he really is good as gold!! To be honest with him only being 7 months we expected a few accidents, barking at night (as we have him in a training cage and thats normal till they get used to it) and maybe some chewing...but so far so good there has been nothing, he takes his big brothers lead most of the time... We thought we were really lucky having Archie who to us is the perfect dog in all ways, but to get two is just fab!

:D

You are so lucky having these two dogs. I'd love to have one but sadly I am out most of the times and I wouldn't be able to take care of the dog properly.
Would you be able to upload some pics? Would love to see them.
x

I'll put my doggie pics in, too -- she is a sweetie.

Thank you for sharing! All your four "children" are very very cute xxx

Hi There!

Thanks for the comments on my pics :D

I've got a chest infection, actually 3 of us in the family have, and the dogs may also have Kennel cough! So off to the vets with them this avo...

Doing ok food wise, but not getting enough exercise due to not being able to breath when I try!! :( I'm just concerened, and don't wanna have put on when it comes to next weigh day...

Hopfully i'll get rid of the infection quickly and be able to do some exercise this week and over xmas :)

Hope your all well,

Hi All,

I've weighed in early this month as were going away today and probably won't be back until the new year! I'm another 2lb lighter, which i'm pretty happy with as this month hasn't been great with being ill etc and not being able to get to the gym as much as I wanted to....! :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas to everyone, have a safe and happy holiday!! :D

Well done on the loss Lisa, hope you feel better soon and enjoy Christmas. :)

Have a great time everyone, look forward to catching up in the New Year and seeing how we all managed the festivities!

Happy New Year!!! :D

Had a great xmas and new year, and i'm so ready and motivated to get back to a more 'normal' eating and exercise plan...

Feeling positive 2010 is going to be a good one for me, we've got 3 weddings (which i'm gonna look fab for :p) and I will also reach my goal weight...!

Hope you all had a great xmas, and sincere best wishes to you all for a fantastic 2010!!!

Hey Lisa

Just came across this thread (I am fairly new on here) and wanted to say it is fantastic. I try to eat healthily instead of following diets but have got some books and magazines from a few of them for looking through for recipes and inspiration. There are some diets on this site I haven't even heard of though!

I had a long lie in this morning so had a late breakfast of bran flakes. I then snacked on fruit later on and have just eaten chicken with stir fried veg and a couple of baby potatoes. The chicken was grilled after being marinated in the grated zest of an orange, a tablespoon of soy sauce, a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard and three tablespoons of maple syrup. It came out of a low-fat recipe book and was easy to do and tasty to eat. I then had a piece of pavlova left over from a family dinner. Oops. It was the last piece so now it is gone I can't eat any more and I am off to do my run when it all settles so I don't feel too bad.

I might try and post on here too to keep me on track but we will see how much spare time I have when I get back to work!

Well done for getting back to the gym - ours opens again tomorrow so I may go in for a visit!

Oh thank goodness I found this thread!! I am against "diets" and am trying to change my eating habits for life, so that they will be healthy. I will be reading through this thread later, but I wanted to poke my head in since I am relatively new here. I will definantly post here in the future.

Back