Can I alter my target weight after reaching target ?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Jenny112, 12 July 2009 Social URL.

1. Jenny112

Jenny112 New Member

When I joined SW the leader asked me what my target was. I said I just wanted to be back in the "healthy" weight range and we agreed on a target weight of 11 stone 5 pounds. I've now reached the target and ducked below it to 11 stone three pounds. The leader has now said that if I drop below 11 stone 2 pounds I will have to put weight on. That seems daft to me especially having worked so hard to lose the weight. The point is I'm happy to be anywhere within weight 10 stone and 11stone 5 pounds. My dilemna - what do I do next - reduce my "target" or deliberately put weight on to stay at 11 stone 5 pounds (give or take 3 pounds either way). Any ideas ?:confused:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Sarah-Jayne

Sarah-Jayne Gold Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Im pretty much in the same situation as you. I have 2lb left to loose but I think im going to change my tagret weight to another 7lb less. At the end of the day, my moto is to keep going until you are happy.

4. Emz118

Emz118 Desperate to be slim!

Diet:
    Slimming World
    You can change your target, and if you are still losing then it sounds like you're not where your body wants to be yet.
    Discuss it with your consultant!

5. kazpeza

kazpeza Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st0lb
    Current Weight:
    9st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(13.64%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    i think they set the 3 either way cause you could just set it high so you dont have to pay then keep on losing after you reach target hence slimming world not gaining anything

6. squiddie

squiddie Starting Again!

Start Weight:
    27st9lb
    Current Weight:
    23st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    3st11lb(13.7%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    It's really up to you. You can stay where you are +/- 3lbs and go for free and learn how to maintain, or tell your consultant you'd like to set a new target and start paying again! My advice (from someone who is a lightyear away from target) would be to see if you can maintain for say a month - 6 weeks, then if you still want to lose more, change you target.

I think, I don't know as I've never been there, but I think maintaining is the hardest part of any weight loss programme! Eating 'more' to stay the same, but not get carried away thinking I could "eat normally" again. I think maintaining for someone who has lost weight is the hardest part :)

7. miss jelly tot

miss jelly tot CWP Consultant

Start Weight:
    13st12lb
    Diet:
    CWP
    Im in the same boat too. When i hit the minus 3 lbs I am going to put my target down 7lbs. That would mean I need to lose another 4lbs before going for free again.

Putting on weight seems silly to me after you have done so well x

8. kevandju5

kevandju5 Maintaining

Start Weight:
    9st9lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(9.63%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I think Triple Trouble's advice sounds good. You clearly want to lose a bit more, so go for it. xx

9. Jenny112

Jenny112 New Member

Thanks to all of you who replied to me. I think I'll see how I go for the next few weeks and reduce the target if I keep losing. There is no way that I'm going to try to put weight on if I happen to slip below the somewhat artificial target that I originally set when I didn't know how well I would cope with the diet.

10. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

I agree with the others above, when we set a target it seems so far away and we don't really know how we will feel when we get there.
    I set my initial target at 10st7 and when I got there I changed it then and there to 10st, I didn't even let the consultant say I was at target as I knew I had more to lose.

I've been at 10st for almost a year and still toy with the idea of dropping my target to 9st7 but never have, it's quite hard to maintain a target weight and your body needs chance to get used to being that weight after being overweight.

Have you switched to maintenance? Have you increased your HEX's or are you still following the plan as if you wanted to lose weight?

Reason is, you will keep on losing if you haven't increased your HEX's. It's hard to do this after "dieting" but it's what we have to do to stay at target. It's up to you, but some people have to eat 3 or 4 more HEX's a day to maintain, some (like me) can only have 1 or 2.

Good luck!

11. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    I set a target of 10st 13, but in the past I have been as low as 9st 10 (happy days!) 10 st 13 is something I think I can achieve, but I have no idea what I'll look or feel like! Once I get there I'll have a think and I might go for a lower target. I think you need to see how you feel about your body, and if it feels right go for a small loss and see how you go.

12. JestersTear

JestersTear Cute, but psycho!

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm envious of those people who can set a target! I have no target set, as yet, as I have so far to go that I think it will pout me off if I write it down. In fact, I don't have any interim targets either!

13. hippychick85

hippychick85 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st1lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    5st8lb(32.64%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    I know this is an old thread, but I am currently 7lbs away from target but(4lbs from being in range). I already know, and have known for over a month that I want to lose another half a stone. Can I hit my 12 stone target range...have a few free weeks then drop it when I have to pay again, and do this till Im happy?

14. hollys nan

hollys nan Gold Member

Start Weight:
    12st10lb
    Current Weight:
    10st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st8lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(17.98%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Mmmm not sure really! Sorry I cant be more helpful! :(

15. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

The whole point of the us or minus 3 lb is to stop this happening!

16. hippychick85

hippychick85 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st1lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    5st8lb(32.64%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    I don't know if that's in reply to me or OP.

I didn't set a higher target on purpose. Last time I was 12 stone I was a size 12 (which is the size I wanna be). However, half a stone off I am a 16...so I know I am going to have to drop my target but is there any harm in getting a few weeks free in the meantime? I will have still lost 5 stone and worked hard to follow plan and change my eating and exersize habits. Yet I don't wanna seem like Im 'cheating' x

17. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

I guess the only harm is to the consultants pocket! You'd maybe get away with it once but if you carried on then I'm sure it would be noticed.

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Maddysmum

Maddysmum Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st1lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7.5lb(11.2%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    There is no such rule. You can choose a target, then if u get lower than the 3lbs you get the choice of either paying or changing your target. U can do this as many times as u want. A guy in my old group did it 4 times till he was finally happy. Do whats right for you!!!! X

20. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

I disagree. There is such a rule.

21. WelshJojo

WelshJojo Gold Member

Diet:
    Calorie counting/low carb(following SW principles where possible)
    You have to change the target by atleast 7lbs tho

22. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

Just a thought, imagine this - you reach target, you get your certificate, sticker, badge, big congratulations and your target book, then a few weeks later the same again. And again. Kind of dilutes the whole thing really.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.