Can I alter my target weight after reaching target ?

Jenny112

When I joined SW the leader asked me what my target was. I said I just wanted to be back in the "healthy" weight range and we agreed on a target weight of 11 stone 5 pounds. I've now reached the target and ducked below it to 11 stone three pounds. The leader has now said that if I drop below 11 stone 2 pounds I will have to put weight on. That seems daft to me especially having worked so hard to lose the weight. The point is I'm happy to be anywhere within weight 10 stone and 11stone 5 pounds. My dilemna - what do I do next - reduce my "target" or deliberately put weight on to stay at 11 stone 5 pounds (give or take 3 pounds either way). Any ideas ?:confused:

Im pretty much in the same situation as you. I have 2lb left to loose but I think im going to change my tagret weight to another 7lb less. At the end of the day, my moto is to keep going until you are happy.

You can change your target, and if you are still losing then it sounds like you're not where your body wants to be yet.
Discuss it with your consultant!

i think they set the 3 either way cause you could just set it high so you dont have to pay then keep on losing after you reach target hence slimming world not gaining anything

It's really up to you. You can stay where you are +/- 3lbs and go for free and learn how to maintain, or tell your consultant you'd like to set a new target and start paying again! My advice (from someone who is a lightyear away from target) would be to see if you can maintain for say a month - 6 weeks, then if you still want to lose more, change you target.

I think, I don't know as I've never been there, but I think maintaining is the hardest part of any weight loss programme! Eating 'more' to stay the same, but not get carried away thinking I could "eat normally" again. I think maintaining for someone who has lost weight is the hardest part :)

Im in the same boat too. When i hit the minus 3 lbs I am going to put my target down 7lbs. That would mean I need to lose another 4lbs before going for free again.

Putting on weight seems silly to me after you have done so well x

Thanks to all of you who replied to me. I think I'll see how I go for the next few weeks and reduce the target if I keep losing. There is no way that I'm going to try to put weight on if I happen to slip below the somewhat artificial target that I originally set when I didn't know how well I would cope with the diet.

I agree with the others above, when we set a target it seems so far away and we don't really know how we will feel when we get there.
I set my initial target at 10st7 and when I got there I changed it then and there to 10st, I didn't even let the consultant say I was at target as I knew I had more to lose.

I've been at 10st for almost a year and still toy with the idea of dropping my target to 9st7 but never have, it's quite hard to maintain a target weight and your body needs chance to get used to being that weight after being overweight.

Have you switched to maintenance? Have you increased your HEX's or are you still following the plan as if you wanted to lose weight?

Reason is, you will keep on losing if you haven't increased your HEX's. It's hard to do this after "dieting" but it's what we have to do to stay at target. It's up to you, but some people have to eat 3 or 4 more HEX's a day to maintain, some (like me) can only have 1 or 2.

Good luck!

I set a target of 10st 13, but in the past I have been as low as 9st 10 (happy days!) 10 st 13 is something I think I can achieve, but I have no idea what I'll look or feel like! Once I get there I'll have a think and I might go for a lower target. I think you need to see how you feel about your body, and if it feels right go for a small loss and see how you go.

I'm envious of those people who can set a target! I have no target set, as yet, as I have so far to go that I think it will pout me off if I write it down. In fact, I don't have any interim targets either!

I know this is an old thread, but I am currently 7lbs away from target but(4lbs from being in range). I already know, and have known for over a month that I want to lose another half a stone. Can I hit my 12 stone target range...have a few free weeks then drop it when I have to pay again, and do this till Im happy?

The whole point of the us or minus 3 lb is to stop this happening!

I don't know if that's in reply to me or OP.

I didn't set a higher target on purpose. Last time I was 12 stone I was a size 12 (which is the size I wanna be). However, half a stone off I am a 16...so I know I am going to have to drop my target but is there any harm in getting a few weeks free in the meantime? I will have still lost 5 stone and worked hard to follow plan and change my eating and exersize habits. Yet I don't wanna seem like Im 'cheating' x

I don't know if that's in reply to me or OP.

I didn't set a higher target on purpose. Last time I was 12 stone I was a size 12 (which is the size I wanna be). However, half a stone off I am a 16...so I know I am going to have to drop my target but is there any harm in getting a few weeks free in the meantime? I will have still lost 5 stone and worked hard to follow plan and change my eating and exersize habits. Yet I don't wanna seem like Im 'cheating' x

I guess the only harm is to the consultants pocket! You'd maybe get away with it once but if you carried on then I'm sure it would be noticed.

The whole point of the us or minus 3 lb is to stop this happening!

There is no such rule. You can choose a target, then if u get lower than the 3lbs you get the choice of either paying or changing your target. U can do this as many times as u want. A guy in my old group did it 4 times till he was finally happy. Do whats right for you!!!! X

There is no such rule. You can choose a target, then if u get lower than the 3lbs you get the choice of either paying or changing your target. U can do this as many times as u want. A guy in my old group did it 4 times till he was finally happy. Do whats right for you!!!! X

I disagree. There is such a rule.

You have to change the target by atleast 7lbs tho

Just a thought, imagine this - you reach target, you get your certificate, sticker, badge, big congratulations and your target book, then a few weeks later the same again. And again. Kind of dilutes the whole thing really.

Back