Can I eat too much fruit and veg?

simplylucy

I started slimming world on Thursday and have so far been following the Green plan (I eat very little meat so thought this would be best).

I got a little confused with the food diary and thought I should be eating 2/3 super free foods. Only just realised my mistake today! :eek:

On Thursday/Friday/Saturday and today I've had between 8 - 10 portions of fruit and veg. Was really easy to do too.....:eek:

Do you think that is too much? I don't want to get it all wrong.

The short answer is no - you can eat as much fruit and veg as you want or need to fill you up. Latest advice on healthy eating is that you should have not 5 but 10 portions a day so you're doing great! Some people do say that if they eat too many bananas or grapes it can slow their losses but I think that if you are eating a good variety of fruit and veg then this will not be a problem. Instead of eating three bananas a day, eat one along with two other items of fruit, if you see what I mean.

I agree I don't think you can eat too much fruit and veg especially if you dont eat alot of meat. Bananas fill you up so you'll probably find you dont eat that much of them anyway. Lets face it this is how we're supposed to eat (according to ancestral genes) lots of fruit and veg and some meat, I think SW is spot on with that, tho in this day and age there is always going to be some processed food alongside that and I dont think theres anything wrong with that. I read a (tongue in cheek) article in the new scientist years ago that said in 500 thousand yrs tiime we'll have no legs (lack of exercise) arms for the remote control and it will be good for you to smoke and drink and eat junk food lol. Obviously tongue in cheek but quite an amusing thought but till then I'll stick to my healthy eating. And yes I also agree variety is the key so you get your 5 (or 10) a day.

Wendy

Wendy

I disagree a little with this. I think you can eat too much fruit. Veg isnt an issue but friot contains alot of natural sugar and carbs and still has calories. My consultant told me that my losses being slow could be due to eating too much fruit. Even though you think you are eating healthy they all add up.

If you are having good losses then like others have said, dont worry about it, but if you find your losses a bit slow, maybe you could think about the amount of fruit you eat a day.

The healthy eating guidelines also suggest that your 5 a day should be more veg than fruit. Fruit, as sm1ler says, is full of natural sugars which can mess with our blood sugar levels and lead to cravings. I can't snack on fruit because it makes me more hungry.
Don't worry about the past few days, just carry on.

I agree, when I cut back on the volumes of fruit I used to eat my weight loss was much better, but as eternity says don't worry about a few days. You'll do just fine.

I so disagree. You have to eat something and if you're filliing up on fruit and veg surely thats better than other things? I think that each person has to trial and error to get the best from SW and fruit and veg is a good start! Like Smiler says if you see a slow down in weight loss because ur filling on fruit and veg and not something else then reajust even if it means not filling up on anything else, depends how 'comfortable' you want to make the diet. Personally I like comfortable!

Wendy

SW is all based around 'Food Optimising' which is basically eating a lot of the right foods to fill you up that isn't the rubbish that a lot of us ate before the plan (well of course we can still have a little of those treats!) So eating tons of veg, fruit, pasta, rice, potatoes, lentils and pulses, grains, eggs, ?Quorn type foods (if you like them-Yummm), very low fat dairy products and then of course your HEXs- controlled amounts of cereals, breads, dairy products, 'good' oils, nuts and seeds etc etc will be filling you up and satisfying you, giving you lots of energy, doing your body a lot of good and not leaving much room for the bad stuff! That's what it's all about and you will definitely lose weight if you carry on doing this! However I would agree that you would probably get quicker results if you reduce things with lots of sugar in them eg fruits, some fat free fruit yogs etc!X

We are each different.
I know I STS for my second and third week of SW and I stuck to plan 100%. I was eating a lot of fruit, particularly bananas and grapes. When I cut down my weight loss improved, and I have cut down even more, and since I only ever eat when I am hungry, I hardly ever nibble and my weight loss has been even better.
A couple of ladies in my group always put on when they eat a lot of fruit.
I tend to eat far more veg than fruit and it seems to work better for me.
However, everyone is different and what works for one may not suit someone else.

I know that eating too much fruit affects my losses. Especially bananas. I agree that if you really MUST eat something then fruit is better than rubbish. I ahve had to start looking at why I really MUST eat something if I am eating three square meals. Bananas affect my weight loss, as do grapes. Grapefruits give me coldsores. I try to stick to melon, oranges and apples. But I also try to limit.

Lydn

I do like fruit but I find it more of an effort to eat fruit than veg. I find it so easy to make meals that have 2 or 3 portions of veg in them, whereas fruit I find I have to conciously think 'oh i'll have some fruit'. I also find the fruits that I like eating quite acidic (berries, oranges, apples, pineapple) and feel overstuffed and sick if I eat too much of them, so that kind of keeps me in check. I had a wonderful pile of carrots and runner beans with my dinner, and at lunch time had a delicious salad with lettuce, cucumber, gherkins, tomato, radishes, peppers, spring onions....it was awesome

Back