Carbs??

Shangri-la

I am just wondering if the level of carbs that can be eaten including fruit, potatoes, pasta and bread affect your losses?

I seem to be losing but am conscious of the fact that I have just been diagnosed last april with type 2 diabetes. On myfitnesspal, which I still use as a rough guide to keep track of sugar etc gives me a goal of 165g carbs per day but sometimes I am at 180/190g carbs but fat and sugar is pretty good.

I try to keep my glucose levels good, and binging, as much under control as possible. I have not yet been put on diabetes meds as they are trying to hold off doing this for as long as possible. I have to watch fruit with natural sugar in it too.

Any advice greatly appreciated.x

I'm no Dr and my own worst enemy at times. I'm type 2, I have no equipment to read myself? But I've lost 6 st 1 Lb in 14 months sticking to SW. Eating over 1/3 plate tea super free. Eating super free soup for lunch. Fruit yogurt breakfast. And snacking on crisp reads / dairylea for supper. Eating 2 A 2 B choices per day as I do green/ red. Mainly green for cost. But as you can see I eat no carbs bar fruit until tea time. I bought an Airfryer to make chips and I bet you they've been a big % of my meals, again due to £.
When I got to 10.9 target my diabetic nurse nearly collapsed at my check up. She thought my blood test had come through wrong. I've supposedly got my diabetic, cholesterol and blood pressure all back to normal?? She says I shouldn't get any diabetic related illnesses.
My downfalls before we're bread and mash. Now I don't eat mash, and I've hardly ate any bread. I keep a small loaf frozen ready incase I treat myself to a bacon butty.
So the moral of my story is, even though I'm a bit naughty and don't include any proper carbs in breakfast / lunch bar fruit, I obviously am doing filling up on super free and eating a fair bit of carbs for tea? My Doctors were no help whatsoever in teaching me how to manage diabetes at all. I've done my body better cutting out sugar and fat and eating sensibly but in a relaxed way :) does that help? ,

I'm no Dr and my own worst enemy at times. I'm type 2, I have no equipment to read myself? But I've lost 6 st 1 Lb in 14 months sticking to SW. Eating over 1/3 plate tea super free. Eating super free soup for lunch. Fruit yogurt breakfast. And snacking on crisp reads / dairylea for supper. Eating 2 A 2 B choices per day as I do green/ red. Mainly green for cost. But as you can see I eat no carbs bar fruit until tea time. I bought an Airfryer to make chips and I bet you they've been a big % of my meals, again due to £.
When I got to 10.9 target my diabetic nurse nearly collapsed at my check up. She thought my blood test had come through wrong. I've supposedly got my diabetic, cholesterol and blood pressure all back to normal?? She says I shouldn't get any diabetic related illnesses.
My downfalls before we're bread and mash. Now I don't eat mash, and I've hardly ate any bread. I keep a small loaf frozen ready incase I treat myself to a bacon butty.
So the moral of my story is, even though I'm a bit naughty and don't include any proper carbs in breakfast / lunch bar fruit, I obviously am doing filling up on super free and eating a fair bit of carbs for tea? My Doctors were no help whatsoever in teaching me how to manage diabetes at all. I've done my body better cutting out sugar and fat and eating sensibly but in a relaxed way :) does that help? ,

Thank you so much, Bunnylush. I was really hoping for a reply and you didn't disappoint. I don't have any support as regards Doctors as Nurse just said that my Hba1c was just a bit over what it should be. I have learned everything I know about my condition because I am a Student Nurse and also had gestational diabetes four times. I just write down in my diary when to go back for my Hba1c or I would just be forgotten about.

Can I just say that I eat 3 snacks of 80-100cals everyday which is approx. 15 syns and these are things like weightwatchers lemon slice for 80cals or 4 syns, kit kat, 2finger, 5syns and timeout, 1 finger which is about 5 syns. I eat fruit for breakfast but I do have a baked potato for dinner and two small slices of wholemeal bread everyday as a sandwich with tuna for my tea. I try never to eat after 6pm. I also try to stay within 1200 calories per day. How does that sound to you?. There is no fresh vegetables at all in uni canteen so its baked beans everyday. I have no kitchen/microwave for four nights as living away at uni in a guesthouse and just have an ensuite room but no facilties to cook/fridge/microwave. what do you think of the diet?. I have such a sweet tooth and crave choc/cake so that is why the mini snacks are keeping me motivated.

Hi, I think if this is something you need to continue for life line myself. You should stop counting calories, as that's not what SW is about. And you'll stress yourself over calorie counting. I'm not sure how much sugar snacks effects our diabetes but I've eaten sugary fruit pastilles for my syns and I'm still standing ;) if that's what's going to keep you on plan then carry on. The living conditions are awful fir you as far as practical cooking :( you could try adding more fresh stuff in any way you can though. Fat free cottage cheese with carrot cucumber crudités? You could buy it and eat it on same day if no fridge? Eat as much fresh fruit as you can. I'm not sure which plan you do but have a read of green days. Maybe they will be easy on days at uni, then you've got 2 A 2 B to snack on. I still have a third super free with my red green days :) you could buy a small pack salad to eat? Good luck.

Hi, I think if this is something you need to continue for life line myself. You should stop counting calories, as that's not what SW is about. And you'll stress yourself over calorie counting. I'm not sure how much sugar snacks effects our diabetes but I've eaten sugary fruit pastilles for my syns and I'm still standing ;) if that's what's going to keep you on plan then carry on. The living conditions are awful fir you as far as practical cooking :( you could try adding more fresh stuff in any way you can though. Fat free cottage cheese with carrot cucumber crudités? You could buy it and eat it on same day if no fridge? Eat as much fresh fruit as you can. I'm not sure which plan you do but have a read of green days. Maybe they will be easy on days at uni, then you've got 2 A 2 B to snack on. I still have a third super free with my red green days :) you could buy a small pack salad to eat? Good luck.

Thanks for the advice and ideas. I am an absolute terror for not eating salad as I hate it and I force myself with fruit. I tolerate a banana with lemon juice in warm water for breakfast. I will eat some pineapple or pre prepared fruit mid morning from Tesco. I do extra easy as I have to have tuna or meat as I really have no energy if I don't eat protein in the form of meat, chicken or tuna. I usually have some plain chicken from uni deli with baked potato and beans as my dinner at 1pm and tuna sandwich for supper.

Your advice is really good in relation to not counting calories as this is a habit that is really hard to break. The only thing is that I never have milk, yogurt or cheese. I hate cheese and milk and find the yogurts like muller that are free are full of artificial sweetener that I don't really like. so all in all, a faddy eater. cant eat salad or much fruit and only get fresh veg when I cook at weekend at home. I love baked beans and mushy peas, however, lol. thanks again.x

Can you not stomach dairylea triangles on your Tuna sandwich? Sneak some chopped cucumber onto it? :)

Great idea for the sandwich. I actually don't mind the laughing cow extra lite ones. The cucumber would be one step too far for me, lol. lettuce, tomato and cucumber are a no no for me, lol. all I could ever eat in a salad was the salad cream, beetroot, boiled egg and boiled potato and cold meat and a bit of spring onion. I think this could be because when I was very small, I remember the babysitter making me sit at the table for what seemed like an eternity until I would force myself to eat salad. I would then be really sick later on. I always associate salad with punishment. how bad is that?. My Mother would tell me to eat fruit if I didn't eat my dinner instead of the usual chocolate and biscuits that we got if we were good and ate our dinner. Fruit and Salad equate misery and punishment for me. Bad relationship with food is my middle name, lol.

Back