CDC's I really need your help, please!

RuthG

Gold Member
I go on another forum, which has a weight loss section. One of the favourite topics is VLCD bashing, and basically saying that there is no or little evidence to say that people who lose the weight in a fast period of time actually maintain their weight at a certain level. Basically some are saying that losing it fast is a sure fire way of putting the weight back on just as fast.

Are there any studies to show that people who maintain management programmes post VLCD, actually keep the weight off?

I'm sorry if I'm not making much sense, but I'm quite angry :mad:

I dont know about any research but what i can tell you is ive maintained my weight for 12 months now. If you follow the plans in the book right the way up to 1500 the stabilization works!!!
Of course you will regain weight if you go back to eating in your same old way.
You have to make changes and stick with them.
Dont worry enjoy your cambridge journey and when the time comes enjoy the maintenance faze

I don't think the overall statistics for regaining are any better or worse for VLCDs, as for any other kind of diet. Bottom line is, it doesn't matter how you lose weight, or how quickly - if you can't change your eating habits for life it will go back on!

I speak from bitter experience - I'm restarting today after putting 3 of my 4 stone LL loss back on over the last 2 years. And I for one have DEFINITELY learned my lesson!

Ooooh, I think I know which forum you are talking about. I might just go register and tell my story :)

Which one KD? ;)

Thanks all, i was just wondering if there are specific reports studies, just so that I can give some evidence. There are so many success stories on here, it's fab!

How did you guess, lol! Do you lurk there?

I think they would all love to lose weight as quickly - they just don't have the willpower needed!!!!
Seriously - no diet suits everyone. A friend of mine has lost a lot of weight by just eating fruit and vegetables alone - no dairy, carbs or protein. She remarked that a diet that consists of shakes alone is unhealthy! At least I know that I am getting all my nutrients, and that my body won't go into starvation mode because of the ketosis!
You could lose the weight by eating 3 Mars bars a day - but I would probably be doing all sorts of damage to my organs in the meantime!
Bah to them all!
Ceri

Hey there, I'm no expert but i can only tell you what i've learnt from experience. I belong to another weight loss support group and the first time i mentioned the fact that i was thinking of going on a VLCD you'd have thought i was saying i was going to drown kittens at the weekend!! Its not healthy, its bad for you, nobody keeps it off - are just the start of what everyone had to say on the subject!
Well i've been an on and off CDer and the first time i went on it i lost a stone and then fell off the wagon - even though i was eating takeaway etc that stone stayed off - the second time i tried i lost another stone and although i fell off the wagon in a big way that stone has also stayed off!! :eek: I think it depends on the person and how much you lose and whether you go back to the way you were eating before. Obviously if you lose 5 stone and then go back to your old eating habits then of course you're going to put some weight back on but i think as long as you look at it as a long term healthy eating plan (after the weight loss) then i don't see it as a bad diet or a waste of money at all.
Hope that helps.

omg ruth just been on that website and can see y ur so mad i would be too some people just dont get the fact some people cant loss weight the normal way and wish they would keep it to them myself like u im having problems with people saying that cant be good for u, and do u think ur doing it the right way and all the other s**t they say but i say if it makes u happy, ur lossing weight does it matter but some people just cant keep their noses out soz for my rant ashley xx

Just found this
cambridge research

Lessons from Obesity Management Programmes:
Great Initial Weight Loss Improves Long-term Maintenance: By A Astrup and S Rossner of Sweden. Obesity Reviews 2000. It is a common myth (belief) that weight loss achieved at a slow rate is better preserved than if the weight is lost more rapidly. However, this review of the literature shows that initial weight loss is positively, not negatively, related to long-term weight maintenance. There is evidence from randomised intervention trials to support the view that a greater initial weight loss induced without changes in lifestyle – eg liquid formula diets improves long-term weight maintenance, providing it is followed by a 1 – 2 years integrated weight maintenance programme consisting of lifestyle interventions involving dietary change nutritional education behaviour therapy and increased physical activity.
Conclusion: "Greater initial weight loss as the first step of weight management may result in improved weight maintenance".

hi....i have read a study online before that states that 80% of people who do a VLCD do regain the weight and in many cxases, end up bigger than b4 BUT i really do think that is because they do not follow the proper steps back up the ladder to "normal" eating. absolutely everyone i have ever read about who does follow the proper steps and doesnt go back to their old unhealthy habits keep it off.

i cant remember where i found the study online but i found it thru google. use key words like "vlcd statistics study" and you should find it quite quickly.

Thanks all, it's really appreciated!

would like to ask how many of us have lost weigh by other means?? I've lost from 2-3 stone umpteen times with WW scotish slimmers slimming world and calorie counting and every time i have put it back on and am now the heaviest i've ever been so it clearly doesn't matter how you lose the weight, its what you do to keep it off that counts. CD for me thanks!

Back