CDC's What should be done at a weigh in ?

I'm actually not bothered now about seeing food, it's smelling it !!!
I'm hoping the weight keeps coming off well, as i dont want to be on this forever, not that i could afford to !
Once i'm down to a better weight, i'll start back at the gym, i used to love going, but a job change meant i couldn't go as i was away from home a lot, so even if i get another stone off, i'll maybe stop CD.

Basically what should be done at a weigh in is having a weigh in and answering any questions or dealing with any problems that may have arisen in the previous week and then setting up a client for their next week (is it AAM?, is it time to change up a plan next week? and putting an order together.) We are there to offer support if support is needed (ie client is on SS but needs to go out for a meal - what to do? Has eaten once during week - help, etc)

How we all work is very different from counsellor to counsellor. I'm not a counsellor with anything other than being a Cambridge Counsellor under their belt. I don't do marriage guidance, therapy, hypnotism or anything else like that which you may find other CDCs do.

Whether or not a counsellor does a complete individual 40 minute appointment each time you see them, is up to the counsellor and the way they work. I only have three individual appointments available in a week. (due to kids and walking 8 miles every day seeing to the kids) So mainly what I do is in 'groups' (not group therapy) - just basically, I'm available between 10am and 11am or 6pm and 7.30pm drop by and I'll be ready.) Individual appointments go from 7.30pm, the kids are about to get into bed by then.

So for anyone starting the diet what you need to find out is how your counsellor works and is that way of working suitable for you. Most of my clients are in and out within 5 minutes and wouldn't have it any other way, and I know I have lost possibly just 3 that I can think of who would have wanted to stay for an hour each week. But that to me is therapy, and I don't do therapy. Yes I'll listen and I'm qualified to answer questons about how to use the diet, but I have been used in the past as someone who has counsellor in their job title and therefore must have the answer to life the universe and everything (I wish! :)) I just don't have all the answers.

The food thing (sorry going on again) is a constant battle for me. I have to make sure dinner is on the table by 5pm, and I also have to make sure that what I cook is plain enough to not smell. That is not right. It's a family home, yet I was in a panic the week I forgot about food smells and cooked my husband a chicken kiev. I was rushing around with air fresheners afterwards because I have had comments about cooking food in my own home. (I personally don't get to eat until 9pm - way too late don't do it.) Which brings me to why I only do 3 individual appointments a week. It used to be 8 (I gave up working Friday nights) Then it was 6, but three of them were at 5.30pm. My husband gets home at that time and has to reheat his dinner in the microwave. But I was getting people turning up half an hour early when I was still dishing up dinner. Or my husbands train would be late and I'd still have the kids on my hands. So I ditched the 5.30pm appointments and there you have it. 3 a week. It's not ideal, but it's the best I can do given the circumstances.

Sorry, long drawn out rambling post.

Brilliant post Debz...well put hun xx

Here here!!! CDCs are people with families and commitments too, more often than not working at home where they have to feed/look after their children!! I wouldn't be able to see people in the afternoons if it wasn't for Nina because I would be working full time so I always warn people about my 3 year old business partner!! :giggle:

The relationship between a counsellor and client is a two way street. If you need more from your counsellor you need to let them know that, and they can let you know if they offer that service. If your needs do not match their service, then you may need to look elsewhere. Each counsellor works for themselves, in a manner that suits their lifestyle.

As a (relatively new) CDC this thread is very interesting to me.

I have obv begun my work as a CDC recently. I have organised 3 work time slots during my week. When a client rings, I try to avoid booking the times where the family could possibly be eating or there are issues relating to the children (they are 3 and 6, the 6 YO has SN).

If there is no choice for the client that they may possibly come at a time when the family would be dining, then I warn them accordingly the same way that I explain I have 2 children and a family dog (who is barmy to say the least)

I think its a bit of a minefield for people who work from home and see people at home tbh. There are always going to be pitfalls.

That sounds terrible tomtom, where abouts are you?

:D

You have no idea how long it took me to word that so it wouldn't incur my usual 'I've been misunderstood' effect. Well actually, it took so long that OHs boil in the bag chicken thing boiled dry. I've told him to watch for bits of plastic! :D (Do think I got them all though!)

Good point re kids I've got a 7 year old helper, (just leave me alone child!) but I've only lost 1 client that I know of because of the kids.

Don't have a dog (have fish - not prone to jumping out of tank tho) - but tonight I have wet paint in the hallway. :eek:

Back