Cheap fresh chickens at Tesco as from 25/06/09

Loops25

I have put this in the bargains section but thought i would make sure you all see it.

Fresh Whole Chicken 1.4KG £2 at Tesco Starts 25/06/2009 Only on for 3 days

Stock up xx

Damn - I'm going there tomorrow!!! Can't go Thursday onwards! What a good offer! Shame they're so chunky to keep, I'd have trouble freezing them whole.

Jill

Oh no :( yeah they are a bit of a pain to store in the freezer, luckily my mom has two freezers because we are greedy haha

Thannk you Loops

Brilliant offer - if you haven't got a lot of room in the freezer to store them whole, have a batch roasting session, take the meat off the bone and freeze them cooked. Take up a lot less room and ideal for salads, and curries etc. I was told on Saturday by a manager in Somerfield that Tesco buy their chickens in for 4p, thats some profit margin lol.

Brilliant offer - if you haven't got a lot of room in the freezer to store them whole, have a batch roasting session, take the meat off the bone and freeze them cooked. Take up a lot less room and ideal for salads, and curries etc. I was told on Saturday by a manager in Somerfield that Tesco buy their chickens in for 4p, thats some profit margin lol.

Wow what a great idea!! thanks hun xx

thank you gonna bomb there on thursday morning. xxx

I was told on Saturday by a manager in Somerfield that Tesco buy their chickens in for 4p, thats some profit margin lol.

Whether it's true or not, it does make wonder what sort of conditions the chickens have been kept under if Tesco can sell them for £2. By the time you factor in Tesco and breeder profit it doesn't leave much for looking after the chicken!

I was told on Saturday by a manager in Somerfield that Tesco buy their chickens in for 4p, thats some profit margin lol.

that's disgusting :mad: i feel sorry for the farmers AND the chickens! which is why i only buy free range meat/eggs ;)

They "grow" them in 6 weeks in squalid conditions. If you see any marks on their legs it's ammonia burns! I don't need to tell you what produces ammonia!

they should be ashamed of themselves!! my dad rescued chickens and i haven eaten anything not free range since i was absolutely gutted when i saw them and i'm not a veggie or an animal rights but seeing it first hand really puts it in perspective am not preaching though cheap is cheap and people have families to feed on a budget but if the supermarkets didn't drop down the prices so farmers had to keep them in shitty conditions it wouldn be a problem.

That is two very good points, at the end of the day from a totally selfish point of view, its about what you are putting into your body, if an animal has been brought up in sh*t then you are putting sh*t into your body, if an animal has been brought up well, then you are going to reap the benefits!

Oh this has made me cross!! I think it's disgraceful that these can be sold so cheaply. I don't think I've ever seen free range chickens on offer in Tesco, maybe 50p off per kilo but ffs - this is crazy!

I know some people cannot afford free range but tbh and this is my opinion, I would rather go without chicken than eat these. Sorry for the rant but did HFW's chicken out programme not do anything to Tescos morality? I feel sorry for the chickens and the farmers.

Rant over. Sorry guys.

i agreee completely XXXX chicken is my favourite meat and i am really miss it but paying that little bit extra for something that has been free range makes me feel happier.

Jaylou - i feel exactly the same... i don't buy meat (or eggs) unless it's free range. we only have chicken/pork etc maybe once or twice every couple of weeks. the rest of the time it's salmon, tuna etc.

i've become so disenchanted with the whole meat industry that we're even raising our own piggies! they're called garry and minty and they're 5 months old at the mo, and full of trouble :D lol

princessria - we also rescued some chickens, from a battery farm. you should have seen the state of them :( out of eight, 5 died... they were only about 18 months old, and when you know that the natural lifespan of a chicken is about 8 years, what does that say about the way in which they're kept? :(

Back