Green Day Cheese scones. Free on green.

Was just going to use fat free cottage cheese, mash and three eggs, salt and pepper. A bit on the plain side but letting people know they can have them with soup or chutney or as a cobbler or with Garlic etc.

And I use a serrated mince pie sized pastry cutter, the one I use for the lids so not very big.

All of those ingredients are free on Green/EE so the entire scone is free whatever its size. Its only when you add cheese it has any syns in it.

On Red it would have syns for the instant mash. Again it depends how much you put in and how big they are (ie how many you divide the mix into).

Free on green and extra easy. I think they are cheesy enough without extra cheese. Indulgent with though.

I don't count mine either, just have them as free but isn't this one of those "mashed potato is a flour substitute" debates?
I have them as part of a meal but if I was to snack on them, I might count them. Only a bit though. I don't understand it so I'll just carry on regardless, like always!

HelsAngel said:
I don't count mine either, just have them as free but isn't this one of those "mashed potato is a flour substitute" debates?
I have them as part of a meal but if I was to snack on them, I might count them. Only a bit though. I don't understand it so I'll just carry on regardless, like always!

That's what I was getting at when I mentioned the other thread. I incorporate them into a main meal and don't have say pasta or potatoes as well.

I dont syn them but if you wanted to then refer to other thread :)

I'm going to make these, they sound great! Weird question, are they very potatoey tasting? I only ask because my OH isn't big on potatoes! Maybe I just won't tell him! Ha! ;)

My second batch are in now. I found the first lot quite dry but as I've cut bread out they were ideal to satisfy my marmite craving. These one will be used to dunk in my butternut and sweet potato soup. (can you tell the fella's not here tonight!) You can taste the potato but it's not all potato tasting.

I just had them with oven baked mince with tomato and veg in, extra side of veg. Went together lovely! I sprinkled a little garlic salt on top before putting in the oven. Adds that little extra.

Made 14 this time, smaller ones. Found they were better like this that larger.
image-1660793884.jpg

you can add herbs or onion granuals this helps with the potato taste

I didn't think they tasted potatoe at all.
But i did add fresh chives (used plain cottage cheese) and lots of s&p x

ILoveCake said:
I finally got around to making cheese scones. sw stylie! They were amazing, they had a real cheese and onion pasty quality to them. The family loved them too.

300g chive and onion cottage cheese
Salt and pepper to season.
2 eggs.
100g instant mash (dried powder form)
Frylight.

Whizz the cottage cheese with a hand blender, season and whizz in the 2 eggs.
Stir in the instant mash powder to make a dough like consistency.
Separate into balls and flatten.
Put in an oven tray and frylight for 20 mins.
Voila!

Free on a green day. I'd encourage all green day fans to try these, it's a little gem of a recipe. It could easily be converted into a green day cheese and onion pie in an individual pot to serve with vege sausages and beans. Winter food!
These could be jazzed up with garlic, chilli or fresh herbs. It works well with plain cottage cheese and dried chives too.

Yum, thx

Loved this as dumplings, and also enjoy them as warm 'scones' or baked quite flat for scooping hummus onto, but tried it tonight as a pizza base and have to say it didn't work for me.:sigh:

I baked it without the toppings first until it was firm and turning golden brown, hoping this would stop the 'sog.' Is 'sog' a word? - well it is now 'cos I just made it up! :D:D Then put the toppings on and back in for about 10 mins, but the base was still a bit too moist. Was quite disappointed because I was really hopeful for a 'crust.' :cry:

To be honest after the first bit I just scraped the toppings off and had them without the base. :rolleyes:

Loved this as dumplings, and also enjoy them as warm 'scones' or baked quite flat for scooping hummus onto, but tried it tonight as a pizza base and have to say it didn't work for me.:sigh:

I baked it without the toppings first until it was firm and turning golden brown, hoping this would stop the 'sog.' Is 'sog' a word? - well it is now 'cos I just made it up! :D:D Then put the toppings on and back in for about 10 mins, but the base was still a bit too moist. Was quite disappointed because I was really hopeful for a 'crust.' :cry:

To be honest after the first bit I just scraped the toppings off and had them without the base. :rolleyes:

To be fair I have got to update this. We just had the two left-over bits of pizza cold and they were fantastic! The base now it is cold, has cooled and dried to a crust. I would make it again just to have it cold, but wouldn't bother with it hot.

Last edited:
Back