Green Day Cheese scones. Free on green.

I made some last night with plain cottage cheese, onion granules and 70g mature cheddar, it made 12 so worked out to 2.5 syns for 2, and they were scrummy! Lovely with the lentil soup I also made yesterday. Mmm mmm

Made these last night - lush!! Had 2 on top of my home made broth. Then had a couple this morning for brekkie with sw fried egg and mushrooms.

I'm going to try putting a bit of onion in next time.

They're never going to taste like Peters cheese scones but were so nice - I miss dumplings on my broth so these were fab

Thanks for the recipe

ILoveCake said:
I finally got around to making cheese scones. sw stylie! They were amazing, they had a real cheese and onion pasty quality to them. The family loved them too.

300g chive and onion cottage cheese
Salt and pepper to season.
2 eggs.
100g instant mash (dried powder form)
Frylight.

Whizz the cottage cheese with a hand blender, season and whizz in the 2 eggs.
Stir in the instant mash powder to make a dough like consistency.
Separate into balls and flatten.
Put in an oven tray and frylight for 20 mins.
Voila!

Free on a green day. I'd encourage all green day fans to try these, it's a little gem of a recipe. It could easily be converted into a green day cheese and onion pie in an individual pot to serve with vege sausages and beans. Winter food!
These could be jazzed up with garlic, chilli or fresh herbs. It works well with plain cottage cheese and dried chives too.

Made these today OMG they are delicious thanks for the recipe :)

Added chopped spring onion,garlic and mixed herbs to mine.

i just love these .. i have them to dip in my soup, great as cheesy herby dumplings with a stew and tomorrow im going to make some herby garlicy versions to have with my qourn lasagne while everyone else is having garlic bread!1

ermintrude said:
I made this for tea last night! Ommmmm!!!

I'd add extra cheese next time. I got carried away and threw it all in the mix so I had none left to scatter over the top :eek: :D Soooo goooooooood, like cheesy dumplings! :drool:

Oh wow that looks amazing..

I started reading the thread.. Got to page 7 and text hubby to buy some cottage cheese.. I want these nowwwwwww and gonna have it with my fart soup late on!

I just made these and they are yum :) I'm going to make some more tomorrow and freeze them and have them for my breakfast from now on with an egg and beans! Thank you for posting this recipe...

This would be so good with a roast, veg and lots of gravy covering the scones.. Oh yum!

Roziee, glad you like them. I'm desperate to make them into garlic dough balls to go with some spag bol.

ILoveCake said:
Roziee, glad you like them. I'm desperate to make them into garlic dough balls to go with some spag bol.

I'm going to try them tomorrow again but gonna make tiny meatballs first, cook them then covered them with the mixture and pop em in the oven... Mmmmmmmm

Claire, they look great!

mr mash is free so syn free on green and ee

I have heard that these scones are now not free as when the new food optimising book comes out if will be clamping down on food abuse and these scones come under that as we are using the smash for something other than it normally should be.

So 100g is 3.5 sins according to what I've been told.. Which is under 0.5 sins per scones for me which isn't bad at all.

Thanks for that still worth it tho and tbh I'm a bit relieved they gonna have a syn value as I made them for first time last week and ate all 12 !!!!!

OMG have just had savoury mince and cheese cobbler for tea!!!

The naughty yorkshire puds and gravy powder added to my syns.

Haven't had a tea like that since my granny was alive and well.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111122_192651.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111122_192651.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 269
Roziee said:
I have heard that these scones are now not free as when the new food optimising book comes out if will be clamping down on food abuse and these scones come under that as we are using the smash for something other than it normally should be.

So 100g is 3.5 sins according to what I've been told.. Which is under 0.5 sins per scones for me which isn't bad at all.

See I disagree that this would be food abuse. If you are making them as a potato cobbler topping, or in my opinion a potato cake to go with mince or pork chops then it is incorporated as a main meal. It's not like you are having them as an addition to say pasta or rice.

Maybe if you have them as just a snack, fine, syn away. But if you were making just plain smash there isn't a syn? It's just like making a potato cake with additional ingredients like you would a lasagne topping.

If you were to make these with normal potato it would be a pain in the backside but still able to do it and they wouldn't class it as food abuse.

But that's just my little rambling thoughts :D

Back