Puddings Cheesecake help!

Smokes

I really wanted to make a cheesecake but wanted to keep it as low syn as possible. :)
I'd seen somebody mention on here they'd used crushed Bran flakes as a base so thought I'd give it a try as to me digestives are just too many syns!
So I crushed up my bran flakes put them as a base and topped with quark mixed with strawberry muller and an egg and after baking topped with sliced strawberries.
It was nice but the base was a bit soggy! Any way of getting the Bran Flakes crispier?
Do I just need to bake for longer?
Any suggestions for a better base?? :confused:

Maybe you could blind bake it first so it was crisper? or maybe seal it somehow

Thanks Circes but what could I use instead of graham crackers as we don't get those in the UK do we?
The way I made it worked out at 10syns for the whole cheesecake so I had a quarter slice for 2.5 syns. If I resort to using digestives its going to mega increase the syn value. I guess you're gonna need around 10 digestives which will make it 25syns! :eek:

Yes I guess I could try blind baking base first before putting on topping! :)

I don't think I could bring myself to use bran flakes or anything other than digestive biccies! I just love cheesecake too much, and I think it would be worth every syn :)

I was thinking of getting some scan bran tomorrow at weigh in and trying that.
I do like cheesecake but for a decent digestive base it's going to be so many syns!!

What about scan bran, moisened with a dash of hot water into breadcrumbs and some splenda brown sugar?

I would have thought it would dry/toast off.

for my recipe which circes posted, just use a biscuit of similar calories, I don't think digestives are much different calorie wise to the graham crackers though, when weighed out. You only need the amount as suggested as it is a very thin biscuit base to keep the syns down.

I made a cheesecake a while ago with scan bran as a base and although it was ok it was rather soggy. The only other way around it would be to prepare the cheesecake top on it's own (perhaps in a little individual ramekin) then crumble the bran flake mixture on top just before you serve it. Kind of like an upside down cheesecake but would taste the same and be cripsy.

hi this is a idea i come up with for a cheesecake base
2 x oreos (double choc)2.5 syns each or 2 x bourbons (3 i think)
42g all bran add a bit off hot water and mush all together works a treat and is very tasty .

hi this is a idea i come up with for a cheesecake base
2 x oreos (double choc)2.5 syns each or 2 x bourbons (3 i think)
42g all bran add a bit off hot water and mush all together works a treat and is very tasty .

ooh that sounds like a good idea... may have to try this

SYN FREE CHEESECAKE

This is my tried and trusted recipe. I've made several versions and it always goes down well at our SW class taster nights:-

FOR THE BASE

A tin of brown chickpeas (kala chana)- also works OK with ordinary chickpeas
1 egg
3 TEAsp ground ginger
3 rounded TABLEsp Splenda (or other sweetener)

FOR THE TOPPING
2 sachets of powdered gelatine*
¼ pint hot water*
¼ pint low calorie squash (UNdiluted)* - any flavour
1 tub of quark
2 Muller Light yogurts - any flavour
Fresh or frozen fruit - optional

*The gelatine/water/squash can be replaced with 2 sugar free jellies and ½ pint of boiling water – ALLOW 3 SYNS

METHOD
Mash the chickpeas then add the ginger, egg and Splenda. Put the mixture in to a sprung cake tin. Bake in the oven on about 200oc for 35 minutes. Leave to cool.

Fully dissolve the gelatine in the hot water (Follow instructions on packet). Once dissolved add the low calorie squash. Mix in the quark + yogurt. Add the fruit. Pour the mixture over the base and refrigerate until set (2 or 3 hours?)

My favourite version uses Vimto cordial (no sugar added), Muller Raspberry + Cranberry yogs and Tesco or Sainsbury's frozen summer fruits (Raspberry/Blackberry/Redcurrants/Blackcurrants).

You should be able to get the brown chickpeas at a larger Tesco or Asda. They tend to make the base similar to a ginger biscuit type base.

If you want to try this on a RED day allow 13 SYNS for the tin of chickpeas. The Cheesecake give you 8 good portions, so it is still less than 2 SYNS per portion.

ENJOY......:eat:

I made a cheesecake a while ago with scan bran as a base and although it was ok it was rather soggy. The only other way around it would be to prepare the cheesecake top on it's own (perhaps in a little individual ramekin) then crumble the bran flake mixture on top just before you serve it. Kind of like an upside down cheesecake but would taste the same and be cripsy.

Thats what I ended up doing the other day, made 3 mini orange cheescake like tops with orange jelly and apricot mullerlights in small bowl and then crushed a oreo over the top of each - only 3 syns in all and was yummy!

Back