Chickpeas and Marmite

tara40

Loves Norman Reedus
has anyone tried this.
They were talking about Christmas snacks and someone came up with;
mixing a tin of chickpeas with marmite then put on a baking tray and bake for 30mins. Then turn the oven off and let dry out for however long.
They are meant to be gorgeous and syn free.

I'm sure someone said you need to syn these. I think it's a no no like Lasagne crisps etc

They're not syn free - they used to be before 'food abuse' took over but now you have to syn them. In roasting them you drain all the water out of them so you have a very small volume for the calories in it, same as SW crisps, lasagne crisps, chickpea flour etc etc etc.

To syn them just do the 1 syn per 20 calories as everything else with no free food in.

This might have to be a tweak of mine. They sound gorgeous. I don't get many free Xmas snacks on green for free and I sometimes eat chickpeas as a snack anyway. I'm not synning them. I wouldn't eat a barrel load and to me, it's not the same as trying to make doritoes or cake out of free food. Chickpeas do get used for this purpose around the world

This might have to be a tweak of mine. They sound gorgeous. I don't get many free Xmas snacks on green for free and I sometimes eat chickpeas as a snack anyway. I'm not synning them. I wouldn't eat a barrel load and to me, it's not the same as trying to make doritoes or cake out of free food. Chickpeas do get used for this purpose around the world

Have to agree - I'll be trying these but won't be Synning them.

Thanks to OP for the recipe xx

Food abuse :D

Sounds delish though.......and i might have a go at these, although i just ordered Marmite Bagels on my shopping (OMG!!!!) i dread how many syns they will be, but i want themmmmmmmmmmmm!

x

I'm not telling anybody not to do it - how you tweak is up to you - but it's important people know the official what is and is not a free food and dont go throwing around these magic recipes that are not actually free at all. :)

Roasted/dried chickpeas count as a snack and are not free.

When this was receipe was brought up at my SW meeting our consultant said it is a bit like cous cous cake / the filo crisps. The ingredients are free but as you are changing the consistancy then you should really syn them, BUT if you are having these and not synning them and continuing to achieve a weight loss then she cannot see any harm in this. IF you do stop loosing weight, then you may have to look at what you are eating in detail and maybe start synning them.
The couple that have been eating these weekly have lost 6 stone between them and are nearly at target.

The whole point of food abuse isn't about taking the moisture out when cooking therefore eating more calories for less food, it's more about eating a whole can of chickpeas made this way as a snack on top of say having your usual meal aswell, thereby consuming more calories overal.

On a personal note, I wouldn't syn them either. Years ago before SW made all these modifications, (when free food meant FREE food, however it was eaten!)my losses were great! If it worked then, there's absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work now...the basic plan is still the same, ie free foods etc.

I think in the long run, you may eat the same amount of calories as you would possibly eat a smaller meal if you had eaten a can of chickpeas beforehand anyway!

Each to their own.....if you gain when doing this, then it's something to look at cutting back on. However, I'm sure it's not going to become a daily habit anyway!

I like the idea of having these as a cinema snack. Wouldnt take the whole can but a small tupperware pot. I get tired of fruit all the time.

ermintrude said:
I'm not telling anybody not to do it - how you tweak is up to you - but it's important people know the official what is and is not a free food and dont go throwing around these magic recipes that are not actually free at all. :)

Roasted/dried chickpeas count as a snack and are not free.

I appreciate it, thanks for the heads up! If it affects my losses, I'll syn them. But does anyone else find the food abuse thing inconsistent? Turning couscous into cake or pasta into crisps seems an obvious food abuse. But what's the difference between eating chickpeas as a snack (allowed), oven baked chickpeas as a snack or eating slimming world chips? Seems an inconsistent message

I was told that any snacks you have should be superfree, or syned. Is that right, or could you have a mugshot ,for example, as a snack on EE?

I also agree about the scan bran cake. SW say that other foods are not free, but not the scan bran cake. I don't understand :confused:

I am going to try them and if they affect my weight loss then i will syn them. I am trying not to use all 105syns a week so there should be syns left over.

The whole point of food abuse isn't about taking the moisture out when cooking therefore eating more calories for less food, it's more about eating a whole can of chickpeas made this way as a snack on top of say having your usual meal aswell, thereby consuming more calories overal.

I didnt say it was - I said in roasting them you drain the water out and they have a smaller volume with the same amount of calories - this is WHY you end up eating more/more of them, as the same amount becomes tiny and not enough, it's insubstantial.

Your any my explanations are both correct, not mutually exclusive :)

Whoops i should have kept quiet! I just wanted to warn of the official line.

But I may try these myself! :p

I wasn't trying to ill advise anyone, I promise. I just thought they were syn free and that's why this forum is good as you get people who correct you, (in the nicest way).
After some of the foods that i have shovelled in my mouth i think these sound delightful and low synned.

Back