Chinese meal - advice pl?

Sez

has started again!!
Got a planned break booked in for 28 June. My DD is in last year at her school and all the Mums from the class are going out to dinner, as a last farewell. (Likely we wont meet up so easily in then next, much bigger school). This really is a one time only event & I dont want to miss it, not do I want to sit there like a plum and drink water.

So, as far as Iknow, its a set menu & I'm not sure whats on it as yet. Could you advise the lower cal/carb options. Of course I will try to avoid rice etc, and those bloomin prawn crackers!! I am thinking something bean sprouty with chicken or prawns???

Pl help minimise the time I am out of ketosis after this dinner!!!!

Foods to Avoid

• Rice, including fried rice and steamed rice
  • Noodles, including chow mein, lo mein, and chow fun
  • Wontons, including the deep-fried type sometimes on tables
  • Breaded meats, such as in General Tso’s Chicken
  • Egg rolls
Sweet Sauces

It’s often hard to tell by looking at the menu which sauces have sugar in them, but these sauces generally will have quite a bit. Obviously the amount you eat will govern the carb level:
  • Sweet and sour sauce
  • Duck sauce (the orangish sauce for egg rolls in some places)
  • Plum sauce (often served with mu shu)
  • Oyster sauce
  • Hoisin sauce
Proceed With Caution

• Thick soups and sauces are thickened with cornstarch. One tablespoon of cornstarch has about 7 grams of carb. In a platter of food with a thickened sauce, there will be about 1 to 2 tablespoons of corn starch. A cup of hot and sour soup might have about a teaspoon of corn starch (2 grams of carb).
  • Cornstarch is also often used to “velvet” meats prior to stir frying. Meats prepared in this way don’t necessarily looked breaded, as it is a very thin coat of starch.
  • Some Chinese dishes are quite sweet. If it’s a dish you’ve had before, your taste buds will be your guide. If not, ask. Spicy sauces are apt to have sugar in them, so ask about this. Lemon chicken almost always has a lot of sugar.
  • Water chestnuts are somewhat starchy, but a few slices aren’t a big deal. 4 whole water chestnuts have about 3 grams of effective carb. ½ cup of slices has about 7 grams.
The Safest Choices

• Clear thin soups like egg drop, which is usually thin
  • Steamed food, including whole steamed fish or steamed tofu with vegetables.
  • Meat and vegetable combinations with thin, savory sauces (a small amount of sugar may be added, perhaps a teaspoon (4 grams of carb) for the whole dish. Examples would be (in many places) chicken with mushrooms, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Szechuan prawns, and curry chicken. Again, use your eyes and taste buds to figure whether the sauce is sweet and/or thick.
  • Stir-fried dishes without sugar or starch (normally there may be a small amount, perhaps amounting to a gram or two of carb per serving)
  • Black bean sauce does not tend to be carby as some of the others (there is a very small amount of beans in the sauce)
  • Mu Shu without the wrappers
  • Walnut chicken is usually not made with starch or sugar
  • Egg Foo Yung (without gravy)
  • Mongolian Barbeque, while not Chinese, is near to it. It is a good choice, as you can choose your own meats and vegetables and prepare them to order
Practice saying the following sentence: “Is it possible to have this dish without sugar or starch?” Many (but not all) restaurants will do this for you. An alternative is to ask for the sauce on the side.

Also rememebr to go for your protein rich foods such as white fish or chicken. Theres alwas a chicken option on the menue. Personally I lov Black Bean Sauce with some stirfried or steamed veggies. Although its a set menu you may be able to ask for sometjing additional on the side. Just tell them you have dietry requirements and they should accomodate you. Hope you have a lovely meal!!

Thanks MissB found that post really helpful. Do you have any advice for an indian meal?

Fab post Miss B - really helpful!

I'm a big fan of chinese food, and it's good to see where all the hidden bits are!

Thank you!

:D:D:D

Foods to Avoid

• Rice, including fried rice and steamed rice
  • Noodles, including chow mein, lo mein, and chow fun
  • Wontons, including the deep-fried type sometimes on tables
  • Breaded meats, such as in General Tso’s Chicken
  • Egg rolls
Sweet Sauces

It’s often hard to tell by looking at the menu which sauces have sugar in them, but these sauces generally will have quite a bit. Obviously the amount you eat will govern the carb level:
  • Sweet and sour sauce
  • Duck sauce (the orangish sauce for egg rolls in some places)
  • Plum sauce (often served with mu shu)
  • Oyster sauce
  • Hoisin sauce
Proceed With Caution

• Thick soups and sauces are thickened with cornstarch. One tablespoon of cornstarch has about 7 grams of carb. In a platter of food with a thickened sauce, there will be about 1 to 2 tablespoons of corn starch. A cup of hot and sour soup might have about a teaspoon of corn starch (2 grams of carb).
  • Cornstarch is also often used to “velvet” meats prior to stir frying. Meats prepared in this way don’t necessarily looked breaded, as it is a very thin coat of starch.
  • Some Chinese dishes are quite sweet. If it’s a dish you’ve had before, your taste buds will be your guide. If not, ask. Spicy sauces are apt to have sugar in them, so ask about this. Lemon chicken almost always has a lot of sugar.
  • Water chestnuts are somewhat starchy, but a few slices aren’t a big deal. 4 whole water chestnuts have about 3 grams of effective carb. ½ cup of slices has about 7 grams.
The Safest Choices

• Clear thin soups like egg drop, which is usually thin
  • Steamed food, including whole steamed fish or steamed tofu with vegetables.
  • Meat and vegetable combinations with thin, savory sauces (a small amount of sugar may be added, perhaps a teaspoon (4 grams of carb) for the whole dish. Examples would be (in many places) chicken with mushrooms, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Szechuan prawns, and curry chicken. Again, use your eyes and taste buds to figure whether the sauce is sweet and/or thick.
  • Stir-fried dishes without sugar or starch (normally there may be a small amount, perhaps amounting to a gram or two of carb per serving)
  • Black bean sauce does not tend to be carby as some of the others (there is a very small amount of beans in the sauce)
  • Mu Shu without the wrappers
  • Walnut chicken is usually not made with starch or sugar
  • Egg Foo Yung (without gravy)
  • Mongolian Barbeque, while not Chinese, is near to it. It is a good choice, as you can choose your own meats and vegetables and prepare them to order
Practice saying the following sentence: “Is it possible to have this dish without sugar or starch?” Many (but not all) restaurants will do this for you. An alternative is to ask for the sauce on the side.

Also rememebr to go for your protein rich foods such as white fish or chicken. Theres alwas a chicken option on the menue. Personally I lov Black Bean Sauce with some stirfried or steamed veggies. Although its a set menu you may be able to ask for sometjing additional on the side. Just tell them you have dietry requirements and they should accomodate you. Hope you have a lovely meal!!

Thanks so much! Will bookmark your reply so I can refer nearer the time!

I went for a chinese meal (planned) on about week 4 and still lost weight, as long as u get back on SS the next day, and drink plenty water it will be fine. I even picked all the insides out of the spring rolls!! didnt eat the pastry dough stuff! nobody noticed!

Low-Carb - Chinese Food - Low-Carb Eating in a Chinese Restaurant
This is the link, no carb diets have been around for quiet a while, I love google the est search engine ever just state no carb and your choice of restaurant and you should be able to find the info you need but this site is particullary good!!
As for indian it quiete simple avoid, masala and avoid rice and Nann *(cruel love them all). A good indian erstaurant will give you vegatable options instead of carb obtions like dal which is a dish based on lentils. Meat wise Tandorri Chicken is Yum and easy to do at home too!!! chicken roasted in tandorri spices and roasted in an oven, you could have this with vegtables or with a salad you can ususally get this as a starter or main corse. MOst indian restaturants will also hev a fish menu s take a look at the white fish options.

But seperate to all of this all good restaurants will tailer the dish to your liking, dont forget their are people allergic to lactose (dairy) and gluton (found in wheat pasta, bread etc) so pick what ever you want and jsut ask them to not add the naughty parts :).

AS said in a previous thread if you go back on ss and drink water it should help. Also on the day just take 1 or two f your packs as you will be upping your calorie count with real food.

Thanks again MissB for the good advice. Possible going out later for an indian (not out of choice) and it would just be impossible not to eat something so at least I can make a goood choice.

Back