Christmas Meals

Sueschoices

Life's full of choices
Christmas Day this year is a Saturday, Boxing Day a Sunday and weigh-in Monday Morning!! Oh My.

Usually my family and I have cereal followed by a full english breakfast, oh and juice, hot toast and jam...kinda like 3 courses as we eat Christmas Dinner late with our external family. 13 of us in total, and I do the cooking. Another 3 courses of traditional xmas dinner.

Then late in the evening we have a buffet.

I really wish to follow the plan even over Christmas, so....lovely people may I ask for your ideas and suggestions for keeping the day low syned?

Also, any recipes suitable for the X-mas period with or without photos would be appreciated as we repeat the whole process on Boxing day with my in-laws, and then have another buffet New Years Eve!!

Starters, main courses, desserts, buffet foods, drinks....lets get this thread heaving ready for the Jolly Period :D

Christmas Pudding Ice cream

Serves 6 - 3.5 syns per serving on Red, Green and Extra Easy

3 eggs, separated
2 lvl tablespoons artificial sweetner
pinch of ground nutmeg
grated zest and juice of 1 orange
113g/4oz xmas pudd
454g/1lb very low fat fromage frais

Whisk the egg whites with the sweetner in a clean dry bowl until they stand in stiff peaks.

Beat the yolks with the nutmeg, orange zest and juice. Chop up the xmas pudd and stir into the yolks with the fromage

frais.

Carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the fromage frais mixture and spoon into a freezer proof container.

Freeze until nearly firm and frozen then remove from the freezer and stir well. Replace in the freezer until frozen and

firm.

Remove the ice cream from the freezer about 10-15 mins before serving to allow it to soften slowly.

I think an EE day will be best.

For breakfast weigh your cereal & have your hexb. The full english can be SW friendly if you use frylight to fry eggs, bacon etc (cut off the fat), you'll need to syn the toast & jam. Skip the juice, you'll need the syns for later;) Christmas dinner, and the buffet can all be made SW friendly. You'll need to either skip or syn things like stuffing, cranberry sauce etc.

Have you searched the threads for ideas for previous christmases?:D

I was on the goodtoknow recipes website the other day and they had a recipe for SW Christmas Biscuits:

Ingredients

7oz/198g plain flour
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cinnamon
3 ½ oz/100g low-fat spread suitable for baking such as Flora Light
1 ½ oz/42g Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1 medium egg, beaten
2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp of pink sprinkles

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. In a bowl, mix together the flour, spices, low-fat spread and Splenda until well combined and then stir in the beaten egg.
  2. Bring the dough together, wrap in cling film, and refrigerate for half an hour. Remove, divide the dough into two (working in batches is easier), and roll each piece out to 5mm thick.
  3. Cut out using a 2in/5cm star cutter and place onto a non-stickbaking tray lined with parchment. Create a hole in each biscuit big enough to thread a ribbon through later. Bake for 12 minutes and leave to cool on the tray.
  4. To decorate, mix the icing sugar with just enough water to make athin icing and drizzle on each biscuit. Decorate with the sprinkles and leave to set.
  5. Thread coloured ribbon through each biscuit and hang on the tree on Christmas Eve. (They’ll start to soften after a couple of days so don’t forget to tuck in!)
Syn count: 1 syn per biscuit on Extra Easy, Original (red) and Green plans.

There's actually a Slimming World Festive Food & Fun recipe book that you can get...I'm not sure whether you can get it in class, I got mine on ebay. It has lots of nice recipes in it, but I'm afraid it's packed up in my new house at the moment so i can't type any up at the moment! xxx

Hi there in one of my recipe books, there is the following meals and extras for Christmas, if you want me to type you out any of the recipes just say

Lemon and Herb Roast Turkey - 1/2 syn on ee and red
Pigs in Blankets - 6 syns for every 2 on ee and red
Herbed Stuffing Balls - Free on red and ee
Brussels Sprouts with chestnuts - 2 1/2 syns on ee and red
Glazed Carrots - 1/2 syn on ee and red

For the buffets i would recommend chick pea dhal loaf, cold and sliced. chicken cake cold. pickles these are free and lovely at christmas with cold meat.

Hope this helps and if you want the recipes let me know.

Christmas Day this year is a Saturday, Boxing Day a Sunday and weigh-in Monday Morning!! Oh My

if you go to class you better check to see if its on as the monday will be classed as(a holiday boxing day) as the proper day falls on a sunday and you dont get a holiday day on a sunday
if that makes any sense at all

Christmas Day this year is a Saturday, Boxing Day a Sunday and weigh-in Monday Morning!! Oh My.

Usually my family and I have cereal followed by a full english breakfast, oh and juice, hot toast and jam...kinda like 3 courses as we eat Christmas Dinner late with our external family. 13 of us in total, and I do the cooking. Another 3 courses of traditional xmas dinner.

Then late in the evening we have a buffet.

I really wish to follow the plan even over Christmas, so....lovely people may I ask for your ideas and suggestions for keeping the day low syned?

Also, any recipes suitable for the X-mas period with or without photos would be appreciated as we repeat the whole process on Boxing day with my in-laws, and then have another buffet New Years Eve!!

Starters, main courses, desserts, buffet foods, drinks....lets get this thread heaving ready for the Jolly Period :D

Sue I think you'll find the Monday and Tuesday are holidays so doubt there will be any meetings. Also there is a recipe book out this week with Christmas recipes.

Hi there in one of my recipe books, there is the following meals and extras for Christmas, if you want me to type you out any of the recipes just say

For the buffets i would recommend chick pea dhal loaf, cold and sliced. chicken cake cold. pickles these are free and lovely at christmas with cold meat.

Hi teresa32uk, would really, really appreciate those recipes. Thanks a mil in advance :)

Marian xx

I was on the goodtoknow recipes website the other day and they had a recipe for SW Christmas Biscuits:

Ingredients

7oz/198g plain flour
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cinnamon
3 ½ oz/100g low-fat spread suitable for baking such as Flora Light
1 ½ oz/42g Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1 medium egg, beaten
2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp of pink sprinkles

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. In a bowl, mix together the flour, spices, low-fat spread and Splenda until well combined and then stir in the beaten egg.
  2. Bring the dough together, wrap in cling film, and refrigerate for half an hour. Remove, divide the dough into two (working in batches is easier), and roll each piece out to 5mm thick.
  3. Cut out using a 2in/5cm star cutter and place onto a non-stickbaking tray lined with parchment. Create a hole in each biscuit big enough to thread a ribbon through later. Bake for 12 minutes and leave to cool on the tray.
  4. To decorate, mix the icing sugar with just enough water to make athin icing and drizzle on each biscuit. Decorate with the sprinkles and leave to set.
  5. Thread coloured ribbon through each biscuit and hang on the tree on Christmas Eve. (They’ll start to soften after a couple of days so don’t forget to tuck in!)
Syn count: 1 syn per biscuit on Extra Easy, Original (red) and Green plans.

Thanks for this hun - how many biscuits does it make?

Thanks hun gonna try making these with the kids!!

I've also seen the Christmasd book you mentioned, a bargin at £2.50 and now a brand new book is out too Christmas made extra easy!! Had a flick through and going to get a 12 week countdown and the new book free for doing so lol

I think an EE day will be best.

For breakfast weigh your cereal & have your hexb. The full english can be SW friendly if you use frylight to fry eggs, bacon etc (cut off the fat), you'll need to syn the toast & jam. Skip the juice, you'll need the syns for later;) Christmas dinner, and the buffet can all be made SW friendly. You'll need to either skip or syn things like stuffing, cranberry sauce etc.

Have you searched the threads for ideas for previous christmases?:D

Thanks for this, tho had some time to think and do i really need a 3 course breakfast? I re-read my original post and thought wow, why do we eat so much!!

Our X-mas dinner will be SW friendly for all so less faffing about. Watch this space lol. I have found some past x-mas posts that may come in handy later lol

Tessa please share the stuffing recipe with me!!!! :p

if you go to class you better check to see if its on as the monday will be classed as(a holiday boxing day) as the proper day falls on a sunday and you dont get a holiday day on a sunday
if that makes any sense at all

Hmm not so sure, I joined on the May Bank Holiday Monday, and there were classes on the August bank Holiday. If I remember rightly tho, some classes joined together in our city for the x-mas and New Year weeks...tho that was 10 years ago lol. I'll check with my consultant ;)

Back