Common SW misconceptions put right.

What a super post!

Here's another....

You can't substitute HEX's just because you think they have the same nutritional value/calories or something else that another listed HEX has.

The HEX's are approved for good reasons so choosing your own bread, just because the calories are the same, is not correct!

It's there because too many people say 'muscle weighs more than fat', in response to a gain or STS after exercising.

It's simply a statement of fact in response to an incorrect statement.

Yes it is leaner and that is not disputed, but as the statement also says, it is not easy in the slightest to actually build new muscle.

I know several people who have put gains or STS down to 'muscle weighing more than fat', when actually when they looked back over their week they had tweaked the plan till it only vaguely resembeled the SW plan. So all the statement is there for is for people to realise that exercise isn't going to make you gain weight after a few workouts.

It's not a silly statement, Jaffaqueen. Yes, I know what you mean - a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead. The difference is, though, that people don't regularly say that lead is heavier than feather on this forum, whereas people DO say that muscle weighs more that fat on this forum.

Often this is after having done a twenty minute workout DVD and walked the dog. It is highly unlikely that they would have burned fat and replaced it with lean muscle in this situation - why would people go to the bother of doing proper training if a few weeks on SW and a little light movement would do it?!

The people who that point was aimed at will know exactly what Jenny means, it is a common misconception and, pedantry aside, it deserves to stay.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand your reasoning behind the paragraph being here in this thread. I don't have an issue with the fact that you do need to do a LOT of work before you notice a difference between fat and muscle mass - I agree, infact. I also know that some folk have a habit of putting a gain or STS down to "oh well, it must be muscle due to the small amount of exercise i've been doing" - that isn't my issue.

I just don't think that dismissing the statement, or writing it off as being categorically wrong, that muscle weighs more than fat, is right. And the comparison between 1lb of fat and 1lb of muscle still doesn't make any sense. That's my issue. Volumewise, Muscle DOES weigh more than Fat. It's a fact.

Really good summary - it should be printed in the books. I haven't been doing SW for very long but have heard my consultant tell the group several times that "you can eat as much of the free foods as you like" and I know several of my group are vegetable dodgers so they must struggle with the 1/3 rule.

In terms of 'misconceptions' can someone give me the science lowdown on water? Is the only reason it is purported to increase weight loss due to appetite suppression or is there more to it?

Appetite supression is just one of the reasons why water is so great, it also flushes toxins out of the system, keeps the poop regular and keeps the metabolism at a good steady pace.

We're also made of mostly water, so keeping it topped up keeps everything in check, and helps to stop headaches.

All in all, it's great stuff!

Thanks for your reply. It still seems from what I've read that staying rehydrated is obviously good for your health (including the reasons you've stated) but that drinking 'extra' water, or other liquid, beyond your own thirst has no scientific basis (except for appetite suppression). Although I do also accept that sometimes it's possible to feel hungry when you're actually thirsty.

I don't drink much at all - glad I'm not doing CD as I'd be hopeless with the amount of water they have to drink! : )

Another one is......People using any wholemeal pitta breads as a healthy extra B choice when Slimming World clearly states it's only Co-op or Asda wholemeal pitta bread for 1 heb choice x

Thank you so much for this thread :)

xxx

Mine would be making a dessert that is sw friendly that contains no or few syns, thinking that this is great and you can eat the lot lol!!
For example, the half a syn roulade, if you add the calories together of the 4 eggs, tub of quark, fruit and sweetner it comes to about 800 calories for the whole thing!! slimming world friendly or not, eating half or all of that will do you no favours!! So portion control is still key.

Nixy said:
Thanks I didn't know you HAD to have scan bran with my porridge and now I do. Love this site

You don't have to have it, but you should! As someone else said in another thread earlier: having half your healthy extra option is like only inflating 2 of the tyres on your car- it'll still go, but runs better with all of them blown up!

OH no I have only lost a pound !!!

First picture is a pound of fat Yes it is enormous and a pound off each week is over 3 stone in a year!! Don't knock the humble one pound off

1-lb-fat.jpg

Second picture goes with Fat/Muscle discussion showing that fat takes up more room than muscle.
fat-v-muscle.jpg

First picture is a pound of fat Yes it is enormous and a pound off each week is over 3 stone in a year!! Don't knock the humble one pound off

1-lb-fat.jpg

Second picture goes with Fat/Muscle discussion showing that fat takes up more room than muscle.
fat-v-muscle.jpg

This is exactly why you should measure and weigh yourself :)

Thanks Brightonrosie for the visual reminder of the humble pound!!

Thanks Brighton Rosie, it just goes to show when we are having a bad week or expected more of a loss at the scales that 1 pound off is still a real achievement.

Another one is......People using any wholemeal pitta breads as a healthy extra B choice when Slimming World clearly states it's only Co-op or Asda wholemeal pitta bread for 1 heb choice x

didnt know that i could have a pitta for hexb. (gets sw book out)

Back