Common SW misconceptions put right.

You say that 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle. Yes of course it does in the same way that one pound of feathers weighs the same as one pound of lead.
I think though that if you take it to an extreem, someone who exercises e.g. a boxer will weigh much more than an average person owing to the muscle.

True but the typical person doing SW is unlikely to be muscle-bound and women in general do not have the hormonal make-up to build muscle to the extent that it might impact on losses.

This thread is great, ive got into a habbit of not eating my veggies, and ive got no where , i know why and i know what im doing wrong but somehow the fact that im still eating " free food" in my head justify's it everytime, so i decided yesterday im going to do a salad week, cant stand veggies but salad yummy yummy lol so gunna try that this week and hopefully start to see a difference, this thread is great though, just what i needed to read. I must admit i never measure my milk coz im not a big milk fan so know i never go over the limit with brekkie and i maybe have one cup of tea a day at a push so im allways well under, coz im skimpy with it lol !

Oh ladies, please help! Am worried now :confused:

Started SW last Thursday and have been doing great - or so I thought! I see at the start of this thread that it says it's very important to use the Syns. I have only used to one and am worried this will affect my weight loss this week. I really haven't needed to use the Syns other than the one that I used as the meals are so tasty and I have been very happy with what I have had to eat.

Can anyone give any advice? Should I be so worried. I honestly can't imagine trying to fit in 5-15 syns in on top of what I have eaten every day.

You are not going to not lose weight because you haven't eaten them so don't worry.
The reason people lose better when they have them is because you are less likely to fall off the wagon if you have those little things you fancy!

That said, they are a part of the plan and you should really have them.

Thanks jaylou - I will really have to make an effort to use them. Maybe even a glass of milk a day or something would make the difference. But then I am only using them to use them, if you know what I mean.

It always confuses and worries me slightly when people say they dont want to eat their syns, that they have no desire to have them.

Surely the reason why we are all here is that at some point in our lives we have over eaten on the wrong type of food to the extent that it has made us overweight. There is no shame in that, its just the way it is.

When someone starts on slimming world and then says they dont want to eat any chocolate, or crisps or biscuits or cakes at all, or any full fat sausages, or any real chips, or any pies or anything - it makes me wonder - if you dont want to eat those things now, how on earth did you manage to become overweight in the first place???

I understand that when you start a diet, you want to make sure that you give yourself the best chance available to lose weight, you want to make sure you are doing the right things and you want to see results. But these things dont happen overnight, and completely removing every possible type of unhealthy food from your diet is demoralising and unsustainable.

Slimming World include syns as part of the plan for a good reason - they want you be able to commit to this plan and stick to it for the long term. If you deprive yourself of everything you love and go cold turkey, pretty soon you are going to get fed up and miserable and most likely have a huge binge and begin the cycle of overeating and bad choices again.

If you honestly don't want any syns then fair play to you and carry on without them -as Jaylou says, not having syns wont stop you losing weight.

Just make sure that you are being honest with yourself, that you really and truly dont want them.

This is an internet forum, nobody knows you, and nobody is going to judge you.

I will now get off my soapbox and look forward to my full fat pasty (25 syns?) which I will have whilst watching rugby tonight!

Hey Mandy

No need to be confused or worried. I def am no angel and am where I am cos I have a sweet / junk food tooth. LOL. I have had an over indulgent, seditary lifestyle for too many years.

But I can't eat that junk now as I had my gallbladder removed about 6 months ago and am a risk of continued gallstones (which can occur even after the gallbladder is removed). Since the operation, whenever I have any type of fatty food, chocolate etc etc my digestive systems floods with bile and I have a pretty bad, almost immediate, reaction to it. So it's not that I don't want something naughty (for want of a better word) - in an ideal world I would. But sadly I really can't have that stuff any more. As a result of years of abusing my body, I have become obese and lost a gallbladder. Admittedly I am painfully embarrased that at 30 I had to have my gallbladder out :( (much more embarrased than I am about gaining so much weight) - and I actually still suffer some residual pain from the surgery. I really didn't want go into all that detail about why I wasn't having the syns - as you said, nobody here knows me and it was nice not to have that baggage.

So, to be completely honest, I really have zero desire to have any chocolate, crisps, sweets, cakes, biscuits because I don't need the trips to the loo! I amn't depriving myself of anything, just trying to accept the choices I do have and enjoy the food that I can eat. I haven't tried to not use my syns, it's just that as a result of the way I am supposed to eat (because of the lack of gallbladder) I haven't needed to use any syns. I decided a few weeks ago that enough was enough and I needed to cop on - stop eating the crap and loose some weight. A friend is doing SW so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone.

I think I will have to just add some syns to my meals or something in order to use up some syns.

Last edited:
My major love of SW comes from the recommendation of daily syns!

Every other diet I've tried I have failed because after even just a few days without crisps or chocolate I would be craving them so bad I would go on a massive binge! (then feel like the diet could never work so never going back on it.)

Since starting slimming world I have thoroughly enjoyed my daily Curly Wurlys and glass of wine!!

If I know I want more alcohol (say on a friday evening) I'll just leave out my curly wurly!

Seriously...i think the only reason I'm still with SW is cos I know I'm "allowed" chocolate every day!

'tis awesome!

Who wouldn't want their chocolate fix? Surely we all became on the larger side of things because of a love or obsession with the bad foods? so why cut it out completely if you are actually advised to have it as part of the balanced diet that SW is?

So, to be completely honest, I really have zero desire to have any chocolate, crisps, sweets, cakes, biscuits ... just trying to accept the choices I do have and enjoy the food that I can eat. I haven't tried to not use my syns, it's just that as a result of the way I am supposed to eat

I think if i wasn't using my syns for sweet things like cakes and chocolate I would definitely be having some oil in my food...fried chips...fried eggs...lots of salad dresing etc... thats all syns.

Am feeling a little judged for not having used syns! LOL :D

Have just printed off a rake of syn meals to cook so will use them in that way.

Hey Mandy

No need to be confused or worried. I def am no angel and am where I am cos I have a sweet / junk food tooth. LOL. I have had an over indulgent, seditary lifestyle for too many years.

But I can't eat that junk now as I had my gallbladder removed about 6 months ago and am a risk of continued gallstones (which can occur even after the gallbladder is removed). Since the operation, whenever I have any type of fatty food, chocolate etc etc my digestive systems floods with bile and I have a pretty bad, almost immediate, reaction to it. So it's not that I don't want something naughty (for want of a better word) - in an ideal world I would. But sadly I really can't have that stuff any more. As a result of years of abusing my body, I have become obese and lost a gallbladder. Admittedly I am painfully embarrased that at 30 I had to have my gallbladder out :( (much more embarrased than I am about gaining so much weight) - and I actually still suffer some residual pain from the surgery. I really didn't want go into all that detail about why I wasn't having the syns - as you said, nobody here knows me and it was nice not to have that baggage.

So, to be completely honest, I really have zero desire to have any chocolate, crisps, sweets, cakes, biscuits because I don't need the trips to the loo! I amn't depriving myself of anything, just trying to accept the choices I do have and enjoy the food that I can eat. I haven't tried to not use my syns, it's just that as a result of the way I am supposed to eat (because of the lack of gallbladder) I haven't needed to use any syns. I decided a few weeks ago that enough was enough and I needed to cop on - stop eating the crap and loose some weight. A friend is doing SW so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone.

I think I will have to just add some syns to my meals or something in order to use up some syns.

Hi Gemmalina,

So sorry to hear about your health problems, but well done for taking things in hand and doing something about it.

I'm sorry if I made the wrong assumption -I'm sure there are probably many people kidding themselves that they dont want syns when in reality they do - obviously things are a little different for you.

As you clearly have other reasons for keeping away from the synful stuff a little more strictly than many of us need to - I would say not to worry about not having them at all - one of the main things about having syns is not feeling deprived, but if you cant have the truly bad things then thats another story.

But of course you can always indulge in some of the "healthier" syns - how are you with bread - I know thats one of the first places I would go to indulge - real white bread, crusty french sticks, bagels, paninis etc. Or there is cooked, pureed, stewed fruit that should normally be synned. Or some slightly more indulgent yoghurts (I really loved the fruit corner versions)

best of luck

mandy

It's totally ok Mandy - I think I would have made the same assumption if circumstances were different. I def like your suggestion about "healthier" syns.

I'm really determined to crack it this time. ;)

Just in response to Mandy I do want my sins but I have a bit of a problem with rgards to self control lol once I start I can't stop but I don't really have Many of the meals that contain them I like knowing I CAN have them and then feeling good that I haven't coz once I start I just don't stop I'm an all or nothing kind of girl lol xx

I often use syns for healthier stuff - bread is one thing that I miss, and often I'll have a Hex type cereal bar for syns. On green days you can have things like nuts too.

cupcake I am exactly the same!Mind I am making the low syn choc pud on this forum and it is lush, thats my syns for several days a week. Sometimes I am so full from free foods and all the fruit that I genuinlly dont want anything else as I am stuffed.

I am using my full 15 syns a day, yesterday I had a small pack of choc buttons as a post WI treat, However I have been using my syns for this sort thing... honey on my porridge, Mayo Light or French dressing with salad, hot chocolate drink, or an extra cereal bar for a snack or some gravy on a roast.
I hope I am using the syns properly?

You are using your syns properly! You can use them however you like :) in fact i use mine for nearly all the same stuff: EL Mayo, hot choc, gravy, cereal bars, extra cheese, pesto, tom sauce and my fave at the moment is flying saucer's 1 syn for 4 :)
xxxx

Back