Common SW misconceptions put right.

Free foods are not completely unlimited! You can't eat Mugshots and Muller Lights all day every day, and then be surprised to STS. I'm putting this one up as it seems apt, while I sit trying to force down the last few mouthfuls of my MAHUSIVE pasta carbonara. You still have to exercise portion control, it's just down to your own judgement of when you are 'full' rather than having amounts and weights set out by the plan.

mugshots and mullers aren't free food though, they're syn free so yes you do need to exercise portion control.

with reference to scan bran with your porridge, if you don't have it ur not having ur hexb so need to syn the porridge and have something else for your hexb

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure that someone contacted sw about this and the answer was that you don't have to syn a healthy extra if you don't have the whole option- you're just not getting the full benefit.

I'm fairly sure that someone contacted sw about this and the answer was that you don't have to syn a healthy extra if you don't have the whole option- you're just not getting the full benefit.

Yep, this is correct.

Okay, I'm an online member so don't have a consultant to ask this question:

I do Extra Easy but don't always 1/3 teh suprefrees (in fact until I read this thread I never even knew that's what I"m meant to be doing).

Should it be every meal i.e. the mixing of the veggies with your other foodstuffs needs to happen at the same time for it to work? Do they have to be digesting together?

Or could I have a 100g of pasta at lunchtime with no superfrees but snack on 50g of tomatoes throughout the day for the same effect?

SO glad I found this thread. I'd guess I'm doing 1/3 anyway as I eat a lot of fruit and have veg heavy meals - but at least now I can measure to make sure I am.

Zoe

No, the superfree should really be eaten with the meal itself - reason being that it fills that portion of your plate which you could otherwise have filled with free foods, so the presence of the SF naturally limits this :D

The idea of the superfree is that is limits the amount of free foods you eat just because there is less room on the plate for it. Snacking on tomatoes instead of having them with the meal would not do the same job in my opinion (others may disagree). That said, if you were to leave one third of your meal plate empty and then snack on the superfree then that would still mean you were limiting your free foods.

Thank you both. I think I'm going to struggle with this concept because I tend to eat out of tupperware boxes at work so it's not as easy to visualise it. But at least I know what I'm aiming for now. Erm, should I be doing this for breakfast too?

well they tell their consultants differently at training at slimming world head office. We were told if your not having the whole healthy extra then your not having enough fibre/calcium to be classed as a healthy extra and therefore have to syn what you do have or have the extra part to make it a healthy extra

I have never had scan bran with porridge as I think its just plain awful! Do like however the thought of wheatgerm with it. I think the literature Im using is a little older and can't find it. Can someone please tell me how much I should be having with my porridge? Thanks!

I mix the scan bran in with the porridge and a bit of sweetener then you dont notice it

well they tell their consultants differently at training at slimming world head office. We were told if your not having the whole healthy extra then your not having enough fibre/calcium to be classed as a healthy extra and therefore have to syn what you do have or have the extra part to make it a healthy extra

I'm not sure exactly what they tell their consultants - it's a bit of a mystery because some people say that their consultant tells them they don't have to syn it, and other people say their consultant tells them they do have to.

I saw a post on here from a consultant who said she had spoken to SW about it and they said no:
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wor...ml#post1640401 (Is this correct?)

As for me, I don't and won't syn them, but if anyone else wants to, that's their prerogative. :D

Yes, think that is really true.
I have been guilty of this, using too many mugshots and low fat supernoodles, mainly due to stress and being so busy, but it's taken its toll on my weight loss.

I bought some low fat noodles the other day to have in as a snack and nearly died when I saw there was over 500kcals per pack. I know we're not counting calories but still...yikes!

mummymoo said:
I am a consultant and have been on training since that post was posted and we were told that if you dont have all the hex then you need to syn what you have or have all the components of it.

If your not but are losing weight then fine but when your sat there saying i've sts and dont know why thats when you need to start having all the components of the hex

It's just that it doesn't logically or physiologically make sense for it to turn into syns if you don't have all of it. I mean if you didn't eat the last 2 spoonfuls of your hex then suddenly it's a syn?! How can that work?

shardi2209 said:
It's just that it doesn't logically or physiologically make sense for it to turn into syns if you don't have all of it. I mean if you didn't eat the last 2 spoonfuls of your hex then suddenly it's a syn?! How can that work?

I'm with you on this one. When I have fruit with my all bran in the morning I can't always finish it. Is it best to keep shovelling in food even though your full?? How's that re learning good habits about portion control? ? ?

I'm with you on this one. When I have fruit with my all bran in the morning I can't always finish it. Is it best to keep shovelling in food even though your full?? How's that re learning good habits about portion control? ? ?

I can't understand that either!

Thank you everyone for giving me a boost!

I've been really struggling getting myself motivated as I haven't been losing recently. Reading your advice has got me going again...no more excuses and stretching the rules!

just a little tip that helped me realise just how much bulk is in
semi-skimmed milk be warned its grose!
my daughter refused to drink anything except a glass of milk during a sickness bug despite me telling her repeatedly that its going to come up nasty, she drank it, just a small glass about 250 mls but 30 mins later it turned to what could only be matched with mozerella cheese like two packets worth! grose story but it highlighted the point that it may look like its not going to harm your diet but what goes on once youve digested it is a different story!
sorry if ive put u off you nosh but it was a valuble lesson for me i didnt have dairy for a month after! lol now i measure milk and never guess.

Your Healthy Extra B contains fibre, it is measured because we only need a certain amount. If you don't eat your full 28g of All Bran, that doesn't mean you have to Syn it. It's when you have your porridge, but not your scan bran etc that you should syn the porridge because you are not getting the right fibre from it.

Not sure if I explained that very well

Your Healthy Extra B contains fibre, it is measured because we only need a certain amount. If you don't eat your full 28g of All Bran, that doesn't mean you have to Syn it. It's when you have your porridge, but not your scan bran etc that you should syn the porridge because you are not getting the right fibre from it.

Not sure if I explained that very well

There is nothing on the website or in the books to verify any of this.

Some consultants say you do, some say you don't.

All it does say on the website, under the FAQ's is that you don't have to have all your HEX's each day. That can be read as you don't have to eat ALL a portion of HEX or you don't have to have ALL OF your HEX!

confused :confused:

This is meant to be common misconceptions put right, but it's just getting more confusing!

There is nothing on the website or in the books to verify any of this.

Some consultants say you do, some say you don't.

All it does say on the website, under the FAQ's is that you don't have to have all your HEX's each day. That can be read as you don't have to eat ALL a portion of HEX or you don't have to have ALL OF your HEX!

confused :confused:

This is meant to be common misconceptions put right, but it's just getting more confusing!

I agree, it is more confusing! I emailed SW directly to get clarification and they didn't really give me a straight answer. I will paste the email I sent and explain reply I received below:

Hi there,

There seems to be an awful lot of confusion about Healthy Extras and Synning, so I just wanted to get a definitive answer on this if possible?

Usually for my Healthy Extra A, I would use Laughing Cow Light triangles, of which I am allowed 5 per day. Sometimes I do not get around to eating all five of these, and I am hearing from certain sources that if I do not eat all five, then I must Syn the amount I did eat.

So for example, if I only have three (as I often do) - so does this mean that I should count this as a total of 4.5 Syns? (as they are 1.5 Syns each)

My Consultant says that they do not need to be Synned, but other people have said that their consultants told them that they do need to be Synned, so if you could provide some clarification I would be most grateful.

The response was ended with a disclaimer saying that copying the email was 'strictly prohibited' - so I can't directly post it, but it basically said that they would 'recommend' that I have all 5 of the Laughing Cow wedges, to ensure I am getting enough calcium, but if not, to make sure I was getting some from other sources.

So still no 'yes' or 'no' answer :confused:

Back