Couch to 5k in 9 weeks

Babana

Has anyone done or is doing this? I found it on the NHS website. Basically it's a way to get you started running. In theory using the podcasts will get you from doing nil activity to running 5k (or for 30 mins) in 9 weeks. The podcasts are free to download. (There are other versions but the NHS on is the only free one I think).

I've just got myself a shock absorber sports bra (and boy do I need it!) and I'm going to start this on Monday. I do lots of waking but have never done running so I thought this slow build up to it might suit me.

I'm just interested to know other peoples experiences with this. Plus I might need some moral support!

I'm doing it but it was an app I got on iPhone but will b same thing, I'm currently at end of week 3, find I have to repeat a few days as does leaps bit sometimes but am enjoying x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I started C25K but got bored with the walking bits - I've just signed up for 5 k though, so best get my ass in gear!

I started C25K but got bored with the walking bits - I've just signed up for 5 k though, so best get my ass in gear!

Good luck for the 5k run training. I'm really lookng forward to starting c25k on Mon. I've never run before so I'll see how it goes!

I'm also going to do the C25K challenge as i'm signing up for the Race for Life 5K, eek! I'm sure we can all support each other on our journeys x

I'm also going to do the C25K challenge as i'm signing up for the Race for Life 5K, eek! I'm sure we can all support each other on our journeys x

Oh yes, nothing like a bit of moral support. When are you planning on starting?

Hi all, I'm going to do this too so thought I'd join you guys! I see you're starting on Monday Babana, I might do the same. I have jogged before and I can currently jog for 10 minutes before I start to get really tired, but I will be starting from week 1 as I would love to be able to do the whole 5k. :)

Will be interesting, will have to check them C25K podcast things from the NHS. I currently have a basic app on my phone that tells me when to jog and when to walk pretty much lol.

My app is called 5k runner it was free but think they charge now x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

My app is called "Simple C25K" :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII using MiniMins

It's good to see others doing or planning to do this. I'm quite excited about starting now! I've got my running kit sorted. I will be up at 7am on Monday morning to get started...hoping I wont find it too difficult.

Well, I was out at 6.45 this morning doing my first walk and run. I really really enjoyed it. I'm really looking forward to the next one on Weds. How's everyone else getting on?

Ive done c25k and then moved onto bridge to 10k then went on to run a half marathon :)

I would reccomend c25k to anybody who wants to start running. It's great - enjoy it guys x

Has anyone done week 4 yet?! I'm finishing week 3 tomorrow and wk 4 looks terrifying! X

I've been jogging each day with my dogs, and can feel my heart and lungs improving each time.
I've been out with a friend twice. First time we just jogged along the beach (still faster and further than I'd ever jogged outdoors before) and then the next time we did a fartlek session, which almost drove me to tears, but I KNOW I'll reap the benefits :D
To be honest, my fitness levels are pretty good as I do cardio classes, gym and mountain hiking, but jogging is just such an alien concept, I'm glad to have all the training I can, from them in the know!
Aren't our bodies amazing things?!

I started c25k yesterday too - with the NHS podcast. It went better than expected :D. I did it on the treadmill at the gym though - not feeling confident enough to go running outside yet!

I started c25k yesterday too - with the NHS podcast. It went better than expected :D. I did it on the treadmill at the gym though - not feeling confident enough to go running outside yet!

I'll be doing run 3 of wk 1 tomorrow. I can't afford the gym so I do it on the streets BUT I do wear a hat and dark glasses so no-one will recognise me! :D

Haha thats a good idea! Its running past the local chavs that scares me! I need to toughen up really - I used to love running outside, but had a lovely big park to run around then, and was a stone and a half lighter :rolleyes:
I'll be doing run 2 of week one tomorrow :D I like having something like this to aim towards, it keeps me motivated to actually go to the gym!

I am trying to convince the OH to do this with me, because I WANT to do it outside.. but I am painfully unfit, and there's no parks around here and am always worried of people thinking I look like jelly.
Not to mention I don't always manage to WALK in a straight line, never mind run..
But he's a tinnyy bit fitter than I am (as in he can run no problem) so I dunno if I can convince him :)

Hope it continues to go well for you guys :) and that your shock absorbers are working!

Back