Couch to 5k in 9 weeks

Do not be worried about running outside!
Every person I have met admires everyone who runs outside :) x

I am trying to convince the OH to do this with me, because I WANT to do it outside.. but I am painfully unfit, and there's no parks around here and am always worried of people thinking I look like jelly.
Not to mention I don't always manage to WALK in a straight line, never mind run..
But he's a tinnyy bit fitter than I am (as in he can run no problem) so I dunno if I can convince him :)

Hope it continues to go well for you guys :) and that your shock absorbers are working!

Hahaha! I couldn't even think about running without wearing my Shock Absorber bra! :p

Good luck with persuading your OH. Although, I do the C25K on my own and don't get funny looks. Plus to begin with it is mainly walking with a little running so wobbles are at a minimum.

I really enjoy doing it on the streets. It's quite envigorating. Plus you can vary your route to stop boredom setting in. I don't go in a park but through my estate and on to a main road. I also do it early in the morning (about 6.45am) so there's no chance of any horrible teenagers around to mock me. All you get are dog walkers and other joggers who all seem so engrossed in their own runs to be concerned with me wobbling along! :D

Well I've supposedly just finished wk 3! Running at 8.5 I just don't think it's possible to start wk 4 yet there's just no way!

I'm hoping maybe one more run of wk 3 possible twice more will allow me to move on but wk 4 petrifies me! x

Well I've supposedly just finished wk 3! Running at 8.5 I just don't think it's possible to start wk 4 yet there's just no way!

I'm hoping maybe one more run of wk 3 possible twice more will allow me to move on but wk 4 petrifies me! x

You run at 8.5? Oh dear, I'm not running anywhere near that fast! Do I need to speed it up then before
I go on to week 2?
Sx

You need to run at your own pace I was running an 8.0 but found I kept over taking the machine - I found I couldn't find the right rhythm if that makes sense?!

I think you have to find something that's comfortable for you! Everyone's different - well done on completing wk 1!! That's always the hardest week :) xx

Just finished my first run, nobody was around at 8am on easter sunday.. shocker! :)
It was pretty horrible, I'm not the only one who found it hard right? D:
I couldn't sleep last night, so 7:50 I went out and just did it, needed a tiny break between runs 3 and 4, so I paused the tape and speed walked for 10 minutes and continued.. I know it probably defies the point, but otherwise I'd have given up

Also got pains in my shoulder (the bridge bit from neck to shoulder anyway).. think was my boobs bouncing so much (have a sports bra.. just also have a lot there!)

Oh well.. Hopefully will be easier in future If I have breakfast before going, or sleep.. or manipulate the run so I'm not running up hill! wasted all the flats on my speed walking D:

ETA: Just remembered I did feel invigorated though, :)
Dunno how I can do 5k at 10km/h on a cross trainer and struggle with 1 minute jogging, but hey ho..

Last edited:
I think the cross trainer must use slightly different muscles as I find that much easier too! I think your body weight helps on that!

Well done for completing the first run I have found that the hardest both physically an mentally so far and in about to start week 4!!! I think my body was shocked it didn't know what running was lol x

I've just done run one of week 2. Although it was a little tough at times I felt so good once I'd finished. The weather, however, was a nightmare. It was raining and windy. My hat kept blowing off my head. I spent big chunks of it having to run into the wind and rain whilst holding my hat onto my head. I figure that if I can do it in these conditions I should be able to do it anywhere!! :)

Just finished run 3 of week 2. So far so good! I'm looking forward to next week. Despite how difficult it is whilst doing it, it's amazing how great you feel after a run. I've not given up yet so that's a good thing.

Just finished my first run, nobody was around at 8am on easter sunday.. shocker! :)
It was pretty horrible, I'm not the only one who found it hard right? D:
I couldn't sleep last night, so 7:50 I went out and just did it, needed a tiny break between runs 3 and 4, so I paused the tape and speed walked for 10 minutes and continued.. I know it probably defies the point, but otherwise I'd have given up

Also got pains in my shoulder (the bridge bit from neck to shoulder anyway).. think was my boobs bouncing so much (have a sports bra.. just also have a lot there!)

Oh well.. Hopefully will be easier in future If I have breakfast before going, or sleep.. or manipulate the run so I'm not running up hill! wasted all the flats on my speed walking D:

ETA: Just remembered I did feel invigorated though, :)
Dunno how I can do 5k at 10km/h on a cross trainer and struggle with 1 minute jogging, but hey ho..

I did week 1 day 1 on wed and managed just about, I also had a stiff neck n shoulders the day after n its defo nothing to do with my boobs (they dont even bounce when I run they're so small lol) my fella says its probably coz I was running with tensed shoulders n I need to relax more when I'm running. Relax? BAH!!! looks like im gunna have achy shoulders for the forseable future.

Will be doing week 1 day 2 either tonight or tomorrow depending on when I get finished working. the rain seems to have stopped so fingers crossed it holds out.

Good luck everyone
xx

I did W2D2 today. I did find it easier than W2D1 and can definitely feel an improvement since I first started. I am still extremely hot and sweaty afterwards and still jogging at a slow pace though :D. I am going to try and do W2D3 at a faster pace like I did with the final run of W1.
I had a stiff neck and shoulders after the first couple of runs Stacey. I think it was just a case of using muscles that hadn't been used for a long time!

I need to start week 4 I've done wk 3 an extra night but just can't see how I can run for 4 mins let alone 6!!! I just don't think it's possible.

It's a bit disheartening and I'm not sure whether to just give it a go or what - how have you all found wk 4?! X

I'm planning on starting tomorrow as the kids are back to school so will have the time. I'm a bit scared! How's everyone else getting on? x

Hi all! Wondering if I can join you? I did week 3 day 2 yesterday.. Am doing it on a treadmill atm so it's a bit easier for me but i do plan to get out on the roads before the 9 weeks is up! X

Hi all! Wondering if I can join you? I did week 3 day 2 yesterday.. Am doing it on a treadmill atm so it's a bit easier for me but i do plan to get out on the roads before the 9 weeks is up! X

I see we're at similar stages. I did week 3 run 1 today. I do it on the streets and really enjoy it. I was dreading the 3 minute runs as I thought there is no way I'll do that but I did. It was no where near as difficult as I thought it would be. I'm really looking forward to run 2 of wk3 now which I'll do on Weds.

Hope it's going well for everyone else.

Finished week 2 tonight. Quite scared about week 3 but will give it a go weds or thurs this week :cross:

Hi everyone

I've just finished w2 d3 and it's still quite tough but week 3 looks hard!!!!

But I'll give it a go

Just finished week3 run3. It wasn't too bad, I did manage to run the 3 minutes but I was so pleased when that 3 mins came to an end. I've had a look at what week 4 entails and OH MY it looks scary! I will give it my best shot. I will do week4 run1 on Monday.

You're doing great girls!
It's good to know most of us struggle(d) to begin with, very reassuring! lol
I'm jogging most days, and have ALMOST got over my hangups of being seen by people lol Still haven't had to run past teenagers though....
My hubby was away for a fortnight, and last night we went for a jog together. Granted, I was, and may always be, slower than him, but he was gobsmacked as to how much I've improved since our last outing together, 3 weeks ago :)
I haven't been on the treadmill since I started outdoors. I suspect I'm A LOT slower outdoors, and was jogging at 8.5/9km/h in the gym, so it'd be interesting to see if I'm any faster now, given the extra effort it takes to do it in the real world?

Back