Counting syns per day or per week?

Sparkswillfly

I have recently joined class and was told 10 syns a day for best weightloss - I used 18.5 yesterday, since weds I've used 5-7 per day so I'm not too worried. My friend was told 105 top limit a week - less for better weightloss and count them throughout the week. She uses 5 per day then saves the rest for the weekend - is it as effective this way? Im quite happy doing it per day as it means Im more likely to use them on to make all the free food yummier, but it would come in handy every now and then!

I find it depends on the person. Some people can save theirs up and use hardly any through the week then loads at the weekend. I personally can't, though I do find if overuse one day then use less the next day it's fine. I guess it would be trial
and error?

I tend to use my syns daily, currently my average is about 4 a day sometimes less, so if i do get to the weekend and i fancy a few glasses of wine, then I do(or if i have people coming over for dinner, i'll say use a tbsp of olive oil to cook the roasties in or maybe add a little bit more cheese to the top of things and calculate it accordingly) :)

There are quite a few threads relating to this including some information in the stickies so have a good root around and you'll get lots of opinions. Works for some people and not for others. Doesn't work very well for me to save up but know lots of people find its great. You might have to experiment a little to see what suits you best. I think the official line is that you shouldn't do it as if you deprive yourself of syns you are more likely to binge. On the other hand, they advocate that an occasional flexi syn day may be better to prevent bingeing (I think that means once or twice a month, NOT once or twice a week!)

I have recently joined class and was told 10 syns a day for best weightloss - I used 18.5 yesterday, since weds I've used 5-7 per day so I'm not too worried. My friend was told 105 top limit a week - less for better weightloss and count them throughout the week. She uses 5 per day then saves the rest for the weekend - is it as effective this way? Im quite happy doing it per day as it means Im more likely to use them on to make all the free food yummier, but it would come in handy every now and then!
I guess the best thing to do is see how this week has worked for you. If you've kept within your allowance for the week, and you appear to be on track for that with around 43 syns used and 2 days to go, if you lose weight, then it's ok. It's not always easy to stick rigidly to the average of 10 syns daily, so just test the water and see what works for you.
Good luck with your weigh in.

I always count mine weekly as I tend to have the vast majority of mine at a weekend. It's always worked fine for me!

It's interesting to see all opinions. I weigh in tomorrow and have used 59.5 so far - though I did use 19 of them on Saturday!

Will have a little experiment!

I save mine up and use them at the weekend - it's been working for me for the last year and a half so why change :) I have heard that it doesn;t work for others though, so give it an try and see what works best.

lolacola said:
I save mine up and use them at the weekend - it's been working for me for the last year and a half so why change :) I have heard that it doesn;t work for others though, so give it an try and see what works best.

Officially you aren't supposed to but people do and have no problems doing so. I think it's more about trying to help people manage things like problems with bingeing as it can be harder to get back on track after a blowout. However it's really a personal choice and might be worth a try one week to see how you get on. I'd like to be able to but my losses really slow down when I do. Maybe I will try when I get to target.

I count mine weekly but still have 15 a day as a limit, that I only go over if its a few and can be easily made up from another day. So I start the count at 105 on weigh-in day, then reduce it as I eat my syns, but it means some days I could have 20 syns as long as I only have ten another. Can't see how it could make any difference, at least it hasn't affected my losses. I suppose it may if you have no syns all week then splurge 105 in a night! Everyone's different.

I thought u could not save your syns up for the weekend i thought u had 2 use all of them each day

Officially you aren't supposed to but people do and have no problems doing so.

The latest advice on the SW website is that you are absolutely free to save your syns for a night out at the weekend if you want to. However it does say that if you think you would feel ooverly deprived on the low syn days, flexi synning might be a better option :)

At the minute I'm using mine daily as I've only been doing slimming world for 2 weeks but once I'm settled in I'm going to have a go at banking my syns for the weekend and having a few drinks as a treat :D hopefully it'll work for me!

ive tried saving them up but doesnt work for me... but using a few extra one day an less the other works fine for me (give or take 2-4 syns)

My consultant knows I use the vast majority of mine on the weekend, and she's fine with it. She just says that if it works for us its fine, but if we start to find we're not getting the losses then we know we have to knock it on the head.

I am testing this this week :) drinking tomorrow night and its going to be over my syns, around 30. so having no syns today and no food syns tomorrow. Shall go back to normal friday and see what weigh in brings :)

Back