Curves - Ladies only gym

I joined Curves a couple of weeks ago and since joining I've been losing less weight:(
I think it's really good for toning though as the machines are all weight and resistance. So great to tone up so I'll keep going as I really need to but to actually lose weight my pharmacist said power walking and tredmills, so I'm going to go to a pay as you go gym with a friend on Sundays and Thursdays and pound the tredmills! Then go for an hour long power walk each night.
I kinda regret joining Curves:
( It's a years contract too:(

I joined Curves a couple of weeks ago and since joining I've been losing less weight:(
I think it's really good for toning though as the machines are all weight and resistance. So great to tone up so I'll keep going as I really need to but to actually lose weight my pharmacist said power walking and tredmills, so I'm going to go to a pay as you go gym with a friend on Sundays and Thursdays and pound the tredmills! Then go for an hour long power walk each night.
I kinda regret joining Curves:( It's a years contract too:(

Please don't be disheartened... I started at the gym 2 months ago and for the first 2 weeks my weight loss was really slow. However, I had the biggest inch loss in that first gym month and that made up for it! It's since sorted itself out, and the gym is having a positive effect on my weight loss!! Keep it up, its not just about losing weight, but getting fit too... ;)

I joined in the middle of January and although my weight loss has slowed down anyway, I do feel more toned and I have far more energy now. I enjoy going and don't feel at all intimidated by anyone else there. Everyone is friendly and range from about 18 to 75. I would recommend it for those who don't like 'normal' gyms.

Woooohooooo! I'm not alone anymore.....There are some Curves ladies out there! I'm so happy I could faint!!

Daisyhappy....What u need to realise is that muscle weighs more than fat so as u tone up and lose those inches you ARE losing weight!! You're just swapping fat for muscle....Keep it up....it will soon start to show amazing results.

I joined Jan 14th 2008....I have lost 25.5 inches!! The weight is really starting to shift now as well.....

lighterlifeclaire and notsoslimsandy....great advice!

Big hugs!!

Trish xxxx

I go to Curves too hun and I love it!

I also started in January, I lost 6lbs the first month and 9 inches, since then I have put most of that weight back on BUUUUUT have continued to lose inches.

I have lost 15 inches in total, yet only 1lb in weight, strange but true!! I don't care what is coming off as long as something is! It's not just about weightloss for me tho, it's also about having a healthy heart too!

The only thing I will say that i have found to be a little dissapointing is the fact that I don't seem to have lost really anything from my tummy, I never feel I have worked that part of my body hard enough and it is the part of my body that needs it most!

Perhaps I should do some stomache crunches at home, hmmmm not sure if I would be happy about forking out almost £30.00 a month to find that I have to do stuff at home too.

Any suggestions?

I cannot believe there isn't a Curves in Bristol!! Feel like opening one myself!!hee hee

Hello Katieo!!

Sorry for slow reply....my laptop has died.....hopefully sorting it out over the next couple of days......

There are a couple of machines at Curves specificaly for tummies....The one u twist side to side on....and the one u bend forward on ...do u know the ones I mean?....Im very lucky apparently as on the bendy forward one I actually feel a burn in my tummy muscles!!

I'm so close to my first target now....I can see it and feel it!!

Have a word with one of the trainers?....If u go at a quieter time maybe u could have a couple of extra goes on the tummy machines?

Let me knw how u get on and GOOD LUCK! xxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone! :wavey:

I've been lurking on and of for 2 years now and am a serial CD returner :eek: Howver, I've just joined because I really wanted to share that I thought there was a Curves in Bristol? Junction 1 of the M32 - next to Staples by the nasty big roundabout. I could be wrong but maybe worth checking out...

Nettles

I used to use Curves. Didn't think it still existed!

I use a mixed gym full of great and bad bodies. I really don't care when it comes to working out in gyms ..... we're all there for the same cause. :D

Hi I a member of curves. I am currently applying to terminate my membership because I singed up for 4 months. I actually got fed up after month 1... I like their idea and the other users were very friendly but I got bored- also I added an inch on my hips!!! For endomorphs like me, I think walking and dancing are much better exercise

There another one which is based on the same idea as Curves....called Ladies Express Workout. I joined about 3 years ago went for 3 months and stopped.....bored, hated it etc. HOWEVER when I went on LT...I rejoined just to tone up......and it made such a difference in terms of inch loss and tone overall......cant wait to get back after I this baby......I realised that you cant loose l lb of fat with exercise unless you are burning over 3000 cals.....but the benefits of feeling fit and looking toned are great and also lead to reduced appetite and more energy.............I would highly recommend it!!

There is also another one out there called LFW (ladies fitness and wellness) works on the same principle as curves,quite a few of these around the country if no curves near by maybe worth looking for one of these.I am into my second wk of going,as someone else said weightloss seems to have slowed but in only about 10 days I can now get into a size 16 skirt which would not even meet 2 wks ago and have only lost 1lb in that time.But fat loss does not always show on the scales.Can't wait for my 30 day weigh and measure to see results.
lorna

Hey, How's everyone here doing? I joined Curves a few weeks ago and have my first weigh and measure this week.

I'm hopeful but also feeling apprehensive. How much did you guys lose in the first month at your various gyms?

i joined curves didnt last very long, cant believe how expensive it was! compared to other gyms where you get to use swimming pools and go to classes for practically the same price!

Bad Service / Ripped off ... Curves Fareham, Hampshire !

Ripped off : FAREHAM CURVES, HAMPSHIRE, UK

Hello having read your review i thought i would check out Curves for myself

I joined your new Curves gym in Fareham, Hampshire, UK on 28 July 2008 this was my introduction where they told me what was involved etc and took my joining fee and first month membership money, paid in cash

i had to postpone my first session which was booked for later that week and scheduled my first session at the next available slot on thursday 7th august.

when i turned up i was shocked to see they had put a notice up on the wall advertising their limited opening times on the wall 9.30am-1.30pm 4.30pm - 6.30 pm monday to friday

NO TIMES WERE MENTIONED TO ME OR WERE VISIBLE WHEN I SIGNED UP

I work 9 - 6/6.30pm monday to thursdays

I was shocked and questioned these times and informed both the staff and the owner Yvonne Kelly, who informed me that maybe in time the hours may change but thats the the times they are open ... i informed them that this would be extremely difficult for me to then come and i may have to cancel and nothing was mentioned regarding times when i signed up

the next time i went, friday 8th august, i queried again and was informed the same.

Today i went into cancel my membership and ask for my joining fee and monthly membership fee to be returned total of £68.00 I offered to pay for the two sessions that i had attended and explained that their opening hours were not suitable and i was not informed of these hours when signing up. They are adamant that the hours were up on the wall when i signed up. I strongly disagree, i promise you they were not, as i would not have signed up and paid the money because i cannot go to the gym within these hours because of my work.

There was no compromise at all when i visited and spoke with the owner today, she was rude and condescending something i had not experienced before when speaking to any of the curves gyms.

I am now £68 down and feel that i have been mis informed and mis sold to the point that they have my money and they now advertise their opening hours where as they did not before or inform me. Why would i sign up for something and pay money to something i would not physically be able to attend?!

I am trying to find a way of resolving this and recouping some of my money they have taken from me. As i have said before i was happy to contribute to the 2 sessions that i was able to make before they advertised their limited opening hours.

I dont want to have to waste more of my time and getting more stressed by taking this further in order to get my money back but i will if their head office in the states cannot help me resolve this and also to stop others being "ripped off" and treated with no respect by this lady

Last edited by a moderator:
All scales are different, just because the Curves scales say a different number than your home scales I wouldn't get down about it. Just ensure that each time you get your weight and measurements done that the numbers go down! The actual numbers on the scales are just numbers, don't let it upset you. :)

Karren: It's a difficult one, maybe call your local trading standards and see what they say.

I work full time and the hours are not very suitable, I could maybe get there for 6.30 but it would be a rush! I think they should open later in the evening, they must be losing custom with those hours!

Back