Daily Exercise

BBC News - Can three minutes of exercise a week help make you fit?

Interesting article - even 5 mins intense exercise a day is apparently beneficial for some people!

I'm with the good Dr D on this - no need for extremes, walking is fine! Most weeks I also manage a couple of 25 min swims and two or three 25 min ( hilly!) cycle rides as well. Feeling good on it.

If you can get the related Horizon show on iPlayer, it's worth watching. It was about the *health benefits* of exercise, not necessarily direct weight loss but cardiac capacity and insulin metabolism (preventing type 2 diabetes), and the breakdown of fat in your blood (so it won't clog your arteries).

BBC iPlayer - Horizon: 2011-2012: The Truth About Exercise

And the bottom line as far as I can recall:

• keep active, generally. the chair is a killer.
  • short high (extreme!) intensity burst of exercise *are* beneficial
  • there are genetic factors at play, some people will just see less benefit from exercise.
Synopsis:
Like many, Michael Mosley want to get fitter and healthier but can't face hours on the treadmill or trips to the gym. Help may be at hand.
He uncovers the surprising new research which suggests many of us could benefit from just three minutes of high intensity exercise a week.
He discovers the hidden power of simple activities like walking and fidgeting, and finds out why some of us don't respond to exercise at all
Using himself as a guinea pig, Michael uncovers the surprising new research about exercise, that has the power to make us all live longer and healthier lives.

I am seriously considering getting up off my desk and running up and down the 3 flights of stairs at work on a regular basis now - maybe every time I go to the toilets :) would be a good routine.

That's so interesting. There's been more and more research about breaking up sitting with office adaptable circuit mini breaks.

I used my mini trampoline daily on fat flush. It was prescribed 5 minutes daily because of the benefits to the lymph system and ease on joints, especially if overweight. I had pulled it out, put at the bottom of the stairs and started with ten jumping jacks every time I came up or down the stairs. Stopped after a week, but this motivates me to set the routine up again. With more intense short sessions.

90 mins hacking out done today plus about 3 hours of fence painting!

do you have horses as well xellidh ? where in scotland are you ??

do you have horses as well xellidh ? where in scotland are you ??

unfortunately not my own, but I ride with someone in Perthshire! Where abouts are you?

ah cool... im a fifer living in aberdeenshire now :D

I spent 4 years in Aberdeen for Uni, only moved to Perth for work! Used to ride at Aberdeen Riding Club when I could!

SilverSilph said:
I really liked it :D looking forward to actually knowing the moves :p

It wont take long! Ive been doing it for a year now 4-5 times a week and love it!

Helps that my instructors are complete nutters!!

Just finished week 7 of gym

7weeks, 4x a week and i don't SEE any difference (feel it but don't see it) on my body.

Is this normal? Is it too soon?

lorlypop said:
Ran 5k non-stop today, yippeeee!! (nearly collapsed in a heap afterwards though!) :)

Well done! X

Yesterday after reading through this thread, I made a commitment to myself to get my 30 min walks EVERY DAY, not just 1x or 2x per week. Once I've succeeded at this for 15 days straight, I will add other exercises like weights or even progress to light jogging. Dr. Dukan does prescribe exercise with the diet, and I've sort of pretended he didn't :).

Yesterday, the dog and I walked a brisk 5.2km in 65mins... it was warm, the sun was out and the air was fresh. Today, the weather was colder and it was 10pm so we stuck to 3km/30 min.

I need to massage my calf muscles now or I won't make it out tomorrow.

90 mins walking in total
90 mins zumba

Very sore feet!!!!!

i cut the grass yesterday... its not finished yet as the gardens so big lol

Back