DAILY TIPS

1/6/09
Hi today and what I wanted to post was actually the famous mantra that imagisal posted above,

"Just for today"

Imagisal has already started the discussion about it. But I think it really is very powerful when you think about it. Especially while on CD. Since starting CD I have constantly been worrying about what if I cheat tomorrow or what if someone tempts me next week or what will I do about that dinner invitation or how will i stick to cd on holiday. But OA says to let go of all that. All we can cope with is a day at a time and just for today anyway I will stick to this diet. I don't know what might happen tomorrow or I can't change what happened yesterday but I can stick to my diet just for today. It's quite profound isn't it? The past is history, the future is a mystery and the present is a present!

Let me know what you all think of the day at a time thinking. I know it's helped me not become overwhelmed with how much I still need to lose.

Last edited:
I like it too! I also find it easier to just do one day at the time. It isn't such a big commitment as to say 6 months (which can feel really overwhelming). I like it!

Great thread, Broxi! :) And just to say I am 43, so there's hope for us 'oldies' yet :eek:. I was gonna recommend you look at Serena's diary too, as she has a wealth of knowledge and has posted great tips & thoughts, but she has already posted on your thread and provided her link :D.

I realised early on whilst on CD how much time I usually spent on eating or thinking about eating. Just by being on CD you are forced to change as food is taken out of the equation when doing SS. Now, being on the 1000cal plan, I am carefully planning my meals at the beginning of each day, and you can actually eat quite a bit of food, as long as it is the RIGHT kind of food :). (Sorry if this is pointing out the bl**ding obvious here, was quite a realisation for me ;))

Will be following this thread with interest, thanks for starting it!

Soon2bslimmer x :)

Broxi.. a day at a time, and when you've achieved that, look at tomorrow and again one day at a time. Good philosophy! x

I like the day at a time approach, im doing baby steps, everyday is a day nearer the new me. Loving this thread Broxi xx

Soontobeslimmer, have you noticed a change in your loss, doing the 1000 cal a day since changing? I'd be interested to know, thanks. x

Hiya Eternalflame - It's a bit difficult to say really. Had a bad week when I gained 4lbs as I ate stuff I shouldn't have :eek:, then did a week of 810 but it was BH so did not see CDC. Then did a week of 1000cals and found out today I have lost 6lbs spread over the last 2 wks. Am doing at least another week, possibly two of 1000cals and hoping to continue the losses, as I have 9lbs to go until goal :D.

Soon2bslimmer x

Hiya Eternalflame - It's a bit difficult to say really. Had a bad week when I gained 4lbs as I ate stuff I shouldn't have :eek:, then did a week of 810 but it was BH so did not see CDC. Then did a week of 1000cals and found out today I have lost 6lbs spread over the last 2 wks. Am doing at least another week, possibly two of 1000cals and hoping to continue the losses, as I have 9lbs to go until goal :D.

Soon2bslimmer x

Keep in touch and do let me know.. Very interested how the other plans with CD work too. U never know if you have a function coming up that you have to go to.. theres an option to change the plan for the week. xx

I realised early on whilst on CD how much time I usually spent on eating or thinking about eating. Just by being on CD you are forced to change as food is taken out of the equation when doing SS. :)

Me too, and strangely, it's had a knock on effect on the people in my office. Since I've been on CD, they've been really supportive and have started recognising themselves how much food dominates their conversations! So CD achieves things even for those who are not doing it! lol

I've coped with food conversations pretty well so far, but my colleagues are trying to limit their food conversations - for their own sakes as much as mine! lol

Me too, and strangely, it's had a knock on effect on the people in my office. Since I've been on CD, they've been really supportive and have started recognising themselves how much food dominates their conversations! So CD achieves things even for those who are not doing it! lol

I've coped with food conversations pretty well so far, but my colleagues are trying to limit their food conversations - for their own sakes as much as mine! lol

Thats nice of your colleagues to do that Thelma. x

Thats nice of your colleagues to do that Thelma. x

It sure is - they're a great bunch. Was really interesting though to objectively see how many of the office conversations were about food.

There are a couple of colleagues/friends who also struggle with their weight and they were bowled over when it dawned on them how much time they spent talking to each other about food. In some ways, instead of being motivational, they ended up demotivating each other. They only recognised that because they were trying to be sensitive to me, but it's helped them too.

Soon2beslimmer, you are slim- what a weight loss. I'm just back and I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments before I go to bed. I will post another tip tomorrow and yes please anybody can do it and give me a day off! I just think it's nice to have a thought for the day rather than being bombarded with lots of them!
Anyway, speak to you all tomorrow x

2/6/09

Good morning all my personal favourite tip of the day today is...

"This too will pass"

I just love this. My husband worked with heroin addicts for years and knows about people coming off addictions. When I stopped smoking he kept calmly saying this to me. And he's doing it now and I'm saying it too. I don't know about you but I get unbearable urges and cravings to eat especially when I smell or see food. They are so strong at times I am almost in tears. But each time I let a quiet voice within me say, "This too will pass" and I know that I am only suffering for the moment. The craving does pass- it always passes and then I'm fine. It also helps when I see everyone eating a meal and I want to; after the meal has gone, my craving has gone and I'm one step closer to my goal that day!

I personally love this one and once again couldn't have even got to today on this diet without it. What do you all think? Does this little adage help you? Lookin forward to hearing/reading your thoughts for the day. xxx

Binbikini, the stuff above helps me when I feel really hungry or really wanting to eat. x

3/6/09

"Tolerate it! - Hunger and cravings aren't emergencies. I can tolerate them. They are mild compared to _________."

This is good for me too because when I get cravings I feel as though they are severe but I can actually tolerate them as that's what I have been doing anyway so far.

What do you think?

I love it! And thank you for the note you left for me yesterday, I just saw it :)
Yes, yesterday I was starving at night and my tummy goes 'I'M HUNGRY' and my head says 'SO? NO ONE EVER DIED BEING HUNGRY FOR A FEW HOURS. YOU'LL EAT SOON ENOUGH."
lol!

I like that binbikini, we will not die being hungry or die of a craving. We can and will tolerate them!

31/5/09
Act like you're thin already!

Too often we hide away and don't get involved in life very much. We wear ugly baggy, cheap clothes and don't bother about our appearance as we think we're ugly anyway. I had a boss who was fatter than me and she was beautiful. She wore beautiful clothes, always had a manicure, hair trendy and gorgeous makeup. At nights out she was the first up on the dance floor, enjoying life. Enjoy life now on your journey to being slim. Start visualising yourself thin and imagine that is how you are now and go for it! Buy nice clothes, get a trendy haircut and take part in all that life has to offer!

I like this one! and think I might be starting to do it allready (unconsciously) I also don't feel lazy/unattractive by just wearing my trackies and a t-shirt in the house because Im not wearing them because they're 'fat' clothes Im wearing them because they're comfy clothes!

Broxi, this is such a great thread, thanks for putting up the quotes, they are so helping me. Well done:p

4/6/9

"Put dieting first. I have to plan my life around dieting, not vice-versa. I have to put myself first."

For me, a diet always seems like I am being bad to myself, depriving myself, but the opposite is actually true; it is self- loving. We are doing amazing things for our physical and emotional well being. Think of all the benefits of losing weight on physical and mental health. Why don't we talk about the best thing dieting does for you?

Back