Dave's diary - back on plan, back on Minimins

Hi all, and thanks very much for all the congratulations ... I am still buzzing!!

slinkydreams, WOW you're going great guns too well done, you must feel so proud. Have you noticed much of a difference yet in your body or fitness? I seem to notice something new every day!! A couple of days ago at work my own reflection made me jump as I didn't recognise me at first haha, and the other evening I was walking along and decided my shadow is looking fitter :)

Well spotted BaysideJ, how could I have forgotten to mention that? I won Slimmer of the Week award again - 3rd time in 6 weigh ins!! My group don't seem to do a slimmer of the month award but I have decided to award it to myself anyway hahaha. I look forward to coming to your group again, you're a friendly bunch, but I am also looking forward to getting back to my own. At least I can win the raffle there ;)

Marie, yes indeed I have a new very red desktop wallpaper now, my 2 stone award tiles across it lol. I notice you haven't brought any of that cake round to me yet, grr!! I think you're right and that January is probably the busiest month for sign ups to SW. Wonder how many of them still go by the time the Summer comes though?!?

Isis, thanks for your lovely comments, much appreciated :)

We managed to get the kids looked after by our neighbour this morning so managed a shop without them, phew!

All stocked up for this week, and our meals are:
Spaghetti carbonara (had it tonight, yumptious as ever!!), Quorn chow mein, Quorn balti, cod in breadcrumbs and chips, sweet potato hash, tuna pasta & sweetcorn, Quorn shepherd's pie.

Nothing new (although we are trying the chow mein with Quorn pieces instead of chicken for the first time) this week, just picking from the recipes we have loved the most so far. And there were plenty to choose from!

I went out for a ride after lunch, took a new route I had never even been to in a car, though I had gotten lost at one point and was debating a 180 degree turn and go back but finally recognised somewhere lol. Ended up being quite a nice ride, at around 7 miles it was a good length too.

When I got back I decided to try out the Wii fit plus. Ridiculous timing on my part of course as I was still tired from the ride, lol, but the game is great. I hadn't realised but it actually contains the entire first Wii game! It also uses your existing Wii fit data so it knows about my journey so far which is fab. I have tried about half of the new things but I had to stop for dinner. So far, loving it!!

I'm off for a quick bath now, then gonna sit with the kids and an Argos catalogue and get some ideas for Christmas *GULP*

Hope you are all being good, and more importantly enjoying your journey. With Christmas (and my birthday woohoo) coming up, there are some tough times ahead!

ttfn, my 2 stone award and I are off for a bath haha ♥

God Dave,, bike ride and Wii fit....I bet you were knackered!! hahahaha
I am just reading about it!! lol

I haven't been on the cross trainer for weeks. I really got to get myself sorted....
I am going on a Halloween walk tomorrow with OH and 2 eldest girls...No doubt it'll be scary...But it's a beautiful place we're going to so It'll be fun..

Dragging my daughter out for walks too soon I think......She bought a tiny waisted skirt (she is tiny! grrrrr) to wear to her friends birthday and she feels she needs to tone up a bit...She is a tpical teenager and won't do anything strenuous, but she'll come out for a walk....little does she know it'll be a 3 mile walk! hahahahahaha
That's Saturday night sorted...Oh is on afternoons....Booo

Good luck for weekend

Hil

Well done on a great Loss Dave. You've convinced me to get out on my bike when I finish work today. Not going to go too far as my lights haven't arrived yet. I can finish at 3.30 today on flexi so I should be able to get out for 1/2 an hour or so.

I've never done the chow mein dish but might give it a go. Other half isn't keen on Quorn chicken, she's never tried it but just doesn't like the idea of it..... strange I know. I might just use it and not tell her.

Hil, good luck on getting your daughter around the whole 3 miles without her kicking off lol, and have a great weekend :)

Ricky, cycling I think has made all the difference for me. And to top it, once you have the basics (a bike of course, lock, lights, etc) it is FREE, you don't have to travel anywhere to start it like a gym, and you can have as short or as long a ride, whenever you want to. Such a flexible way to lose weight and get fit.

As for Quorn, the Quorn chicken pieces are IMO indistinguishable from chicken. I am a Quorn fan across the board, but usually you can tell the difference between it and meat, but I can't with the chicken pieces. So I would make it for her with the Quorn pieces, then during dinner or perhaps later in the evening ask her how she feels about having some Quorn. Then tell her. Then run for your life haha.

I've been out this morning with my boys doing a bit of shopping, had a great salad for lunch and I am shortly popping out for a ride with my neighbour. It would seem I pushed him a wee bit too hard yesterday so he has already told me he wants to take it easy today lol. I shall have a ride with him, then carry on alone when he comes back in.

I am signing up to a 100km charity ride next June, a ride around London starting at 23.00 and going through the night. Looks fun, but it's gonna be very hard, so I need to start developing my rides sooner rather than later haha. After christmas maybe!

ttfn ♥

Dave, that is great signing up for the 100km ride and what better motivation for you to stick to the sw plan :D

Wii fit plus looks good, although I didn't have a go at that, the rhythm boxing was great fun with all that ducking and diving lol and I definitely felt it on my calves.

Good to see you last night and you are looking much lighter already and full of beans too :D

Hi Rie, signing up for the ride and actually doing it are two distinct things lol. But I have told so many people I am gonna be doing it I can't back out now. I'm gonna be posting on here for sponsorship nearer the time so start saving lol, and I'm gonna email SW see if they wanna sponsor me and offer to wear one of their t-shirts or something. Mind you, it will be middle of the night in London so not exactly gonna get great coverage lol.

Had another great day yesterday, I managed to blag my neighbour into cycling 7.5miles before he came in, and I made it up to 11.5 when I was on my own. Felt as fit as a fiddle all the way around!

We had chow mein for dinner last night, which was as delicious and filling as ever. Other than the Quorn balti (which we're having tonight! :eat:) I would say the chow mein is the best of the meals we have had so far on SW, and most certainly the most filling. And totally free :)

I'm going out for a ride this morning, as this afternoon we are going out to my mum in law's, where there is a family and friend get together around a bonfire / fancy dress / party stuff for Halloween. We'll be staying out the night, and coming home before lunch tomorrow. Foodwise I will be having lunch here today as usual, taking the ingredients for Quorn balti :gimi: with us and making it there! And also having an Alpen light bar for my journeys. I was tempted to work out some syns from the week to have a drink tonight but instead I'm gonna pick up a pack of Pepsi Max :party0027: and have those syn free! I am assured that my mum in law has weetabix so brekky is also gonna be ok. I love it when a plan comes together :)

Happy Halloween everyone :D:D

I'm back from my ride, clocked up another 10.8 miles today. I actually rode in the rain!! Mind you, it stopped raining just after I left so that is good haha.

Had a delicious salad for lunch, am about to hop into a bath, then going away for the evening. I'll be back tomorrow :)

Happy Halloween everyone ♥

Wow Dave, an 11.5m bike ride is seriously impressive! - How long did that take you? I can now swim 1 mile in 1hr 20mins, (used to take me an hour to do 1/2 mile...). I can definately notice an improvement in my fitness, I have loads more energy now!

I have noticed differences, like you my sihouette looks thinner, and bizarrely my feet have got smaller. I must be the only person to lose 2.5 stone, the majority off my feet!:D

Hi slinky, not sure how long it took but for the first 7.5 miles I had a few breaks (I was with my neighbour and he isn't quite as cycling-fit as I am yet), then did the last 4 miles when he came home quite quick. But IMO the time is almost irrelevant, completing the ride and putting the miles in is all that counts for me. I also noticed my shoes were feeling loose but didn't wanna sound like more of a loony than normal so decided to omit that fact from the proceedings!

We had a great night last night. My balti and pilau rice was sublime as expected. And later I had some syn free winter warmer (some kind of stew). And some syn free chilli con carne with rice haha. Would have been rude not to, what with it being syn free and all :) So that I didn't feel too bad though, I didn't have the apple I would usually have had!

Dinner is almost done, and we are having sweet potato hash with egg, chips and beans. Scrum :)

I have a box of clothes which are too small for me, and I decided a while ago that I would start to go through them on a monthly basis, on the 1st of each month, to find out if any of them fit now. Well, today is the 1st and I went through all of it. Most of it still doesn't fit but I managed to add about a dozen items of clothing into my useable wardrobe which is great :)

Due to being away last night, my wife will be catching up with X Factor over dinner, and then clogging the tv with the voting off show later, yuk!

Shame the weather is so rubbish or I could have gone for a ride, but I shall do Wii fit/MFCCW later instead.

Hope you are all well, and had a happy halloween. Fireworks night to go, then my birthday, then Crimble WOOHOO!! lol

Hi Dave, glad you had a good time yesterday - and definitely a good thing getting the mother in law involved with slimming world too haha since I imagine it was her that cooked up some of the food or did you make it yourselves as I just remembered you were going to take some ingredients with you.

What was the chilli con carne like? Used quorn I presume? I'm always a bit dubious about using kidney beans as I'm sure I read somewhere that they have to be cooked thoroughly or your left toe will drop off or something :D :D

Good idea with the clothes. I took a lot of clothes to a charity shop ages ago when I outgrew them - most of my clothes fit me because I've been overweight for so long. I haven't been out and bought any new clothes yet as I quite like my clothes feeling a bit baggier than usual.

Hi Rie, we took the Quorn balti/pilau rice ingredients and made it there. Al's mum made the chilli and rice, and Al's mum's friend made the winter warmer stew thing (from a vegetarian menu book, not SW - we are gonna get teh recipe from her).

The chilli was ok, but didn't have any twang to it at all, so I would have made it stronger. Mind you, I had just had balti so perhaps my taste buds weren't quite as receptive haha. I still have all my toes btw :)

Busy day tomorrow, we are going over to Bromley straight after dropping the boys off at school, for a wander and to get some Crimble pressies. Taking some rice and couple of eggs with me to eat on the run, as we won't get back until school pick up time.

Marie, and anyone else weighing in tomorrow, best of luck :)

I am looking forward to going back to my own meeting this week, but doubt I'll show any loss following such a good loss last week, having only 6 days since my previous weigh in, and mainly due to me eating so much last night lol, but even if that is the case my average over what will be 7 weeks will still be 4lbs per week which is twice as much as I had hoped for so no complaints from me unless I put on!!

I have just arranged to play badminton with a work colleague Tuesday afternoon, which may well kill me as I haven't played in a very long time, but I am very much looking forward to it :)

Anyway, I had an awful night's kip last night, and I have quite an early start tomorrow, so I bid you all goodnight ♥

Hi Dave

I am a compulsive lurcker... I log on to minimins most days and very rarely post until today, as I have just finished reading your diary and would just like to say that you are amazing! I can feel the enthusiasm you have for this diet and for life in general and am hoping it will rub off on me...

After 23 years of marriage, my husband decided he wanted to be on his own, so left me March this year (I receive lots of mixed messages from him, I don't think he knows what he wants, says we could have some kind of future together, tbh I just think he wants his cake and to eat it as well) - since then I feel that I have just been treading water and just existing - I seem to want to self destruct by eating cr@p and drinking lots, I know I need to get my act together and start focusing on me, but can't get out of the vicious circle that I seem to be in, therefore I have put on about 3 stone in weight, which doesn't help my self esteem...

But your enthusiasm has made me realise that I need to start living again and take back some control.

So I'd just like to say thanks and keep updating your diary and hopefully I will crack this vicious circle once and for all.;)

Hi slim sharrie, and welcome to my diary :D

Thanks for your lovely comments. Sorry to hear about your husband, hope you can get things sorted how you want to on your own terms - us guys do often want to have our cake and eat it it's true!

Are you planning on starting a diet yourself? You can turn that vicious circle around, and into a positivity circle (couldn't think of a better name lol) maybe? Following a fulfilling, rewarding diet for a bit will help you to lose some weight, which will encourage you to be more active, which will help your self esteem, which will all help you reclaim your life and take back control. It's like pushing over dominoes. Looks to me like you have set up all the dominoes, all you need to do now is push the first one :)

Maybe you could consider starting yourself a diary here on Minimins? Put some food stuff in it, some personal stuff maybe, a few thoughts, let off some steam ... I have found my diary has helped me do all that and more. And it is always great to come online and read lovely comments like you left too :)

Best of luck with your journey, and you're welcome back here whenever you like :D

This morning I went with the wife to Bromley, which is about an hour up the line by train, and we did LOADS of christmas shopping!! Still got plenty to get of course, but I reckon the bulk of it is done woohoo!

While we were out my wife treated me to an early birthday present - some non-marking clear soled trainers, which I will be wearing for badminton tomorrow, and also a bag to carry them in and even some socks!! Thanks babe ♥

Then I got home to see the post had arrived, including my Clubcard vouchers from Tesco - over £200 worth HURRAH - Every Little Helps eh? lol

We popped to the fishmonger's today to pick up some cod for dinner, only to find it was closed - schoolboy error or what lol - so we will be having fish tomorrow, and instead we are having tuna/sweetcorn/mayo/pasta for dinner instead!

Bit of a shame as it takes me over my syns today (with weigh in tomorrow too!), but I am thinking of the bigger picture; I will still be within my syns for the week as I always have 3-5 left each day spare, I can't see it affecting my weigh in tomorrow too much, and even if it does I wasn't expecting too much from this week's as I only weighed in 6 days earlier and haven't had the full week. Even a STS result would leave me with a 4lb loss per week average for the 7 weeks I have been on the diet so I would be ok with that.

If I put on though ... I'm gonna kill the fishmonger :D:D:D

Hi Dave

Thanks for replying to me...

I have joined SW countless times full of enthusiasm only to blow it by listening to the little man sat on my shoulder and reach for the wine!! I have no willpower!

Tomorrow though, I am going to give it another go, I won't go to class, not until I know that I can stick with it (fed up of spending a fortune joining and then not turning up at class again, with every excuse in the book). I really need things to click in my head, Christmas will be here soon and I really don't want to feel how I do at the moment, it will be bad enought as it is, but perhaps if I can break this vicious circle, lose some weight and build my self esteem up then things won't seem so bad hopefully!

So... I may even start my own diary tomorrow, like you suggest :eek:

slim sharrie, I do believe you just pushed your first domino over :)
Sometimes they fall straight over, and sometimes there's a little gap in between them and you have to give another little nudge, but in the main they will just keep falling for you.
I get what you mean about not joining a club, but maybe it would help you out? The most obvious reason is that you'll get the most up to date books and information, and a 'little man on your shoulder' destroying pep talk, but you will also meet other like minded people (like a real life Minimins lol), could be even more helpful than usual considering what has happened between you and your husband? The thought that you have to weigh in a week later is always one that helps keep me on the straight and narrow too haha. And of course, last but certainly not least, you'll get access to the VERY helpful SW website :) It's funny how people don't go to class, after a bad week, when that is when they most need it. There's still time easily for someone to start a diet now and have lost almost a stone before christmas :eek:
I look forward to reading your diary :)

I have decided to have the Hellmann's extra light mayo with my dinner this evening, despite not actually liking it too much, as it keeps my syns down and within my daily allowance.
I hope that fishmonger knows how lucky he is ;)

lol glade to here the fishmonger lives to see another day aint to sure how its going for me this week the wii fit says i have lost and if that is so i have managed to colour all the xmas tree lights and lost my stone for xmas in half the time but we shall see what weigh in says :) but must say aint had a good week lost track of syns had a very stressed week buying a new car and were is it now yep u got it back in the garage grrrrrrr

Slim Sharrie - how I wish I could transport you to where I am now because I know exactly how you feel. I would say that one of the best things I have done is to actually join a club and to stay for the meeting too. I found it very hard to walk in on my own but now I look forward to it. Knowing I have to weigh in and have it read aloud (not my weight just the loss/gain) motivates me to carry on.

It is very hard to lift yourself when you are unhappy, but keeping a diary on here and to read encouraging comments may be enough of a boost to get you going on the plan. If you can find some inner strength to pluck up courage, then I would thoroughly recommend joining a club and on your good days as well as bad, there are plenty of people on here to sympathise and congratulate you.

Dave, I'm sure that there are many more people who don't post on your diary that are inspired by you as you are very upbeat and positive. Good luck with that weigh-in tomorrow, I'm sure once again you will have done very well :D

Hiya Dave...

Sounds like things are going really well for you, but we all know how positive you are and how determined to lose the weight you are..

You are an inspiration to others and hopefully we will all be able to follow your example..

Apart from me of course! lol
I have become very dispondant lately with the slowness of the weight loss and was thinking about jacking it all in!
After a few talks with OH and friends and family they have talked me round, and I am going to stick with it..
I went to weigh in last night and expected to put on at least 3lb...I was thoroughly pleased when it was only 1.5lb...
I was still in the frame of mind though to throw it all in...I decide to go to the chip shop and have fish and chips....Oh had a portion too and it was stunning....I know I shouldn't have and you know what? I didn't feel guilty at all!! I felt slightly sick after finishing the lot! But after thinking about it, it sounds silly, but it was something I had to do....
I am perfectly focused now and am straight back into it with a bit more excitement than the ast few weeks....
I weighed this morning (I know not a true reading) and it hasn't affected my weigh yet! I am sure it will show tomorrow or Wednesday...
Keep your fingers crossed for me and wish me luck...
I may not get the stone for Christmas but i'll give it a bloody good go!!

Good luck for tonight, not that you need it!!

Sorry for rambling

Hil
xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Marie

Thank you for your lovely message and for thinking of me, it is always nice when somebody takes the trouble to respond.

I understand what you say about going to class and I probably will start to, but I really don't want to join again only to not go after a couple of weeks, I need to stick at it, so my weird thinking is, that if I can stick at it for a couple of weeks at home with no pressure etc then I will join a class... thanks again.

evethewitch, if the Wii says you are doing well then you are doing well! Even though the actual weight it shows you may not be 100% right, if you weighed on it twice then the loss would be accurate. Don't worry if you have lost the plot a bit during the week, you can't do anything about that anyway, just refocus and think about the rest of your week and get right back on track :) Sorry about your car too, hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Marie, thanks for your lovely comments. 90 ish minutes to weigh in now, I am fresh out of the bath (dirt adds weight! lol), and just chilling a little. I'll text you when I know the result.

Hil, sorry to hear you have been struggling a little, and I don't blame you for one second having a (very tasty sounding) cod and chips. The important thing is that you are back on plan, and back to classes too. As for the stone before christmas, it isn't essential, if you don't quite hit a stone before Christmas then you will in the new year :)

slim sharrie, my wife doesn't go to class and she follows the plan and loses weight well, as do many others, so it isn't a prerequisite to success as I'm sure you know. Having Minimins here is probably better than class anyhow as it is available 24/7 and there is always someone on here to listen and help. How is it going so far? Did you start a diary?

I have been out playing badminton today! I used to play when I was at school, but then didn't for years, and then I played a few years ago with a guy from work, but I was just so unfit and also suffering from on and off back problems I gave it up again. Well today, I thought I would find out just how fit I was compared to when I last played - even though I am bigger in size and heavier now.

Well ... the two of us played for an hour, only stopping for a bit of water between games, and I not only survived the hour but didn't get puffed at all, legs/arms didn't ache, nothing! I felt like my muscles and stamina just had more and more to give. I'm so very pleased, and it is yet another indicator of just how far I have come, despite only really being at the beginning of my journey still.

I won too, 4-0 :)

I am just chilling now, I have an hour to myself, then I have WI (after a walk to Tesco for some eggs!).

Dinner tonight was meant to be the re-arranged cod and chips, but sadly my local fishmonger took it upon himself to not open his shop today! Needless to say, I won't be trying there again lol. Instead, we are having gammon, egg, chips and beans. Yum yum yum!!

I also have room within my syns for a HiFi bar, which I am going to take with me and have after I have weighed in, just to keep me going haha.

Hope you're all well, back later ♥

Back