Day 1 smoke-free: now day 150! Wooooo!!! :-D

well done!! i havent smoked since the 3rd jan this year!

i read somewhere that only 3% of people that give up manage to go a whole year with out having even 1.....i WILL be part of that 3%!!

the besty bit is, not getting out of breath going up the stairs! how lame was that?! lol

:bliss::bliss::wow::wow::talk017::banana dancer:

Think that just about says it all !!!!

I haven't updated this for ages...I'm now on day 33! Wooo! Although it's scary how quickly the time is going...only 2 weeks until I'm back in work. That will be the real test of my willpower, lol! :D xx

:woohoo: Go you, 5 weeks (nearly), you are a -maz-ing and I bet you feel so much better..no stinky clothes, no stinky breath and much more money YAY ...well done hun, I know you can do this xx

I'm so jealous. You must be so proud of yourself. Well done chick.

I can't go more than 6 weeks. I have that "one that won't hurt me" and I'm back on it again.

Go girl. I wish I could do it.

wowowow! 33 days is amazing. I’m also dieting and trying to stop smoking. In the past I’ve always compensated one for the other ie. eat more when I’m trying not to smoke, or smoke more when I’m trying not to eat so this time i’m hoping to do both at once!!

Are you still using patches? I’ve not smoked for 5 days now and am using patches and putting the money I used to spend aside. The patches cost as much as cigarettes so I’m using patches from my last attempt. not sure what i’ll do when they run out! Do I buy more and stop putting the money aside? (Not sure I can afford to do both!!) or go cold turkey?

feeling much more confident this time around but it’s great to see someone on here going through the same thing!

5 days is fab hun...nearly a whole week, wooo! :D:D:D

I am still using the patches, just got the step 2 patches from my doctor ready for when I finish these :) Have you tried to get a prescription from your doctor hun? Mine is very helpful...said that when I finish the 10 weeks I should go back if I feel like I need more. He'd rather I have more patches than start smoking again :)

It's worth a try hun, and then you could carry on putting the money aside

xxx

I'm so jealous. You must be so proud of yourself. Well done chick.

I can't go more than 6 weeks. I have that "one that won't hurt me" and I'm back on it again.

Go girl. I wish I could do it.

I have to admit I almost had a wobble yesterday, but because I smoked menthols and won't smoke anything else I just ignored it, lol!

Going to polish my halo now, lol! :D xxx

:woohoo: Go you, 5 weeks (nearly), you are a -maz-ing and I bet you feel so much better..no stinky clothes, no stinky breath and much more money YAY ...well done hun, I know you can do this xx

Funnily enough my doctor said I must be feeling much better, but I don't feel any different. Regardless of that though, I know that it's doing me good to not smoke :) xxx

Funnily enough my doctor said I must be feeling much better, but I don't feel any different. Regardless of that though, I know that it's doing me good to not smoke :) xxx

I didn't feel that much different at first to be honest, not health wise anyway, I did because I didn't have to keep dashing about trying to find somewhere I could smoke or worrying about running out.
First time I really noticed health wise was last winter, it's the first time I got a cold in about 8 years, that it didn't turn into Bronchitis and still be with me for 5 -6 months, I felt so liberated and loved not having to take to my bed the whole of the winter and spring.
Just yesterday my granddaughter said to me ..Nanny I love the way you smell now, not all stinky like before (she's a chronic asthmatic and it would affect her when I had a cig even half an hour or more after, as you still give off carbon monoxide for a good 20 minutes or so after each cig)
So keep up the good work hun, you're doing brilliantly xx

yay. well done on resisting the wobble. I've not been out yet (its only been a week!) as thought it was probably best not to put temptation in my face! gonna speak to my dr about a prescription for patches. didn't know you could do that so thanks!
here's to day 34 for you. :)

Hi Sian, hope you are well and still smoke free...my daughter and son in law joined the world of non smokers this week, today is day 6 for them...my daughter is terribly moody, her poor fiancée lol, now all we have to do is work on my husband and I will have a totally smoke free family ...DD1 gave up 2 weeks after me and is still smoke free.
Have a great weekend hun and keep up the good work...tomorrow is day 40 isn't it? xx

Wow, day 40. That's fantastic. I'm still on the wagon - day 11 :)
I did go to the dr and got a prescription for patches but I still have to pay for them! I live abroad and the health system is totally different here. Anyway, I'm going to keep going on the patches for a while, reducing the strength each week.
Will keep checking on your posts for inspiration!! Have also managed to lose over half a stone so feeling pleased with myself :)
Have a great weekend...

Ooo, well done to your family members on giving up smoking hun! :D It's definitely the best thing I've done this holiday :)

It's actually day 40 today...maybe I should update the post's title, lol! xx

Oh :wow:...congrats, what an achievement...you should be so proud of yourself, I don't really know you and I am proud as punch of you :woohoo: wtg
Thanks hun I appreciate that, I am sure they will do well with my encouragemet.
Oh and update, I have finally persuaded hubby to give it another go, we had a chat just after I left you the post above ^^^ and he says he really wants to but he is so worried he'll find it hard and we'll argue (a lot more than normal), told him I was prepared for that and then played the guilt card (well it's all in a good cause). Our youngest daughter is getting married 25th August 2012, i told him she wants him to walk her down the aisle and not stink of smokes, plus our granddaughter is a chronic asthmatic, told him that even though he smokes outside when he comes in he is still giving off carbon monoxide and she breaths it in (so do I and it's horrible) when he walks in the room, so he might just as well smoke around her as he's doing just as much harm...so fingers crossed he sticks with it ...he has enough baccy to last till tomorrow so he will start after that has gone, can't persuade him to throw it in the bin lol...but it's a start I am pleased lol xx

I did go to the dr and got a prescription for patches but I still have to pay for them! I live abroad and the health system is totally different here. Anyway, I'm going to keep going on the patches for a while, reducing the strength each week.
Will keep checking on your posts for inspiration!! Have also managed to lose over half a stone so feeling pleased with myself :)
Have a great weekend...

Wtg Selma fantastic job, well done :clap: :clap: xx

Have a great weekend...

That's a double wammy of fabness hun! Day 11 smoke-free and you've lost half a stone - well done you! :D:D:D I'm just about to reduce my patches to the 14mg ones...scary stuff, lol! xx

Oh :wow:...congrats, what an achievement...you should be so proud of yourself, I don't really know you and I am proud as punch of you :woohoo: wtg
Thanks hun I appreciate that, I am sure they will do well with my encouragemet.
Oh and update, I have finally persuaded hubby to give it another go, we had a chat just after I left you the post above ^^^ and he says he really wants to but he is so worried he'll find it hard and we'll argue (a lot more than normal), told him I was prepared for that and then played the guilt card (well it's all in a good cause). Our youngest daughter is getting married 25th August 2012, i told him she wants him to walk her down the aisle and not stink of smokes, plus our granddaughter is a chronic asthmatic, told him that even though he smokes outside when he comes in he is still giving off carbon monoxide and she breaths it in (so do I and it's horrible) when he walks in the room, so he might just as well smoke around her as he's doing just as much harm...so fingers crossed he sticks with it ...he has enough baccy to last till tomorrow so he will start after that has gone, can't persuade him to throw it in the bin lol...but it's a start I am pleased lol xx

Awww thanks hun! :D

I'm so pleased that your hubby is going to try to give up smoking. And I'm sure your youngest daughter will feel so proud of him when he's walking her down the aisle, even more so if he's managed to givee up the smokes! :) xxx

Wish me luck, he's a grumpy old sod at the best of times ...I am dreading it lol but i'm prepared to put up with it if he stops the coughing, it's awful and I fear may be too late already (he's nearly 67), but worth a try xx

It's never too late hun :) Stopping at this point may not undo the damage, but it will definitely prevent any more and that's a major positive!

It may be worth printing out the timetable below (I hope it comes out properly) for your hubby to have a look at :)

Within ...

• 20 minutes: Your blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.
  • 8 hours: Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction.
  • 12 hours: Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.
  • 24 hours: Anxieties peak in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.
  • 48 hours: Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks.
  • 72 hours: Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.
  • 5 - 8 days: The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.
  • 10 days: The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.
  • 10 days to 2 weeks: Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.
  • 2 to 4 weeks: Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.
  • 21 days: Brain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.
  • 2 weeks to 3 months: Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.
  • 3 weeks to 3 months: Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.
  • 1 to 9 months: Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.
  • 1 year: Your excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.
  • 5 to 15 years: Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.
  • 10 years: Your risk of being diagnosed with lung cancer is between 30% and 50% of that for a continuing smoker (2005 study). Risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of pancreatic cancer has declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study), while risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has also declined.
  • 13 years: Your risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker (2006 study).
  • 15 years: Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked.
  • 20 years: Female excess risk of death from all smoking related causes, including lung disease and cancer, has now reduced to that of a never-smoker (2008 study).

Back