de-cluttering the home, as well as body & mind

I'm doing this week slightly differently cause I've already sorted the kids toys and donated etc a few weeks ago. There rooms just needed cleaned as they've been decluttered.
I hate cleaning the bathroom so tend to do it in one go to get it over with.
Today is my anniversary then Wednesday is my DD's birthday plus I have an important appointment on Friday so won't be able to do the usual daily missions, hence my bigger clean today.

I had a violet bath bomb bath after DD went to school. Stood up after bath and used the hot water to clean the tiles, shower screen, bath tub, all the shampoos etc. Also cleaned off windowsill. Toilet, sink, floor etc. All cleaned, brushed and steam mop.
Kids rooms- floors brushed and steam mopped then toys put back. J's bed is stripped cause the wee monster peed himself again. His mattress protector was in wash after yesterday so I've had to clean the mattress.
Landing vacuumed. Front hall brushed and semi steamed (there's a huge piece of wood in my way plus the tiles are too ruff for the steam mop). Powder room brushed and steam mopped.

I still need to put lots of clean laundry away, sort dishwasher, more laundry etc.
Taking a break to post and make vegetable soup :)

Mama - bear x

Wow! You've accomplished so much. Great planning and motivation.

Thanks Mel x It's not my birthday hun. Tomorrow is my daughter's birthday. We like to get a takeaway with the kids for our anniversary and just relax. I went to sw for weigh in then came home to a synned chinese with extra grilled veg I did before it arrived. Mama - bear x

Ha ha! I think I realised halfway through the post but forgot to amend it!!

How's everyone getting on? I'm failing miserably, the fly lady would not be impressed!!

I'm not hitting her assigned zone much - but I am doing some of the daily routines (like Monday Blessing, Tuesday Planning, Wednesday Anti-procrastinating...).

Today is errand day -- I have a ton. I'll be sitting down and writing out a plan of attack and organizing my errand "basket". I hope to sort at least 10.

I also want to work on some procrastinated housework.

Well I'm getting there!

Toilet -done
Bin - done
Sink - done
Floor - done
a bit if a cheat as we still have the carpet from when we moved in, so a hoover does the job. The loo is desperate & it's exposed untouched floorboards so no 'mopping' there either ;)

Meds drawer - not done but they're all in date just need a tidy, the real problem is the cabinet under the sink...

I haven't done any of the other tasks though, although I regularly take sort stuff for charity...just don't quite manage to get it to the shop...it's in a cupboard...oh dear
Socks & pants were sorted after stock replenishment by Santa ;)
I need to sort out my desk drawers - they're a mess, however, I've still got an assignment to complete for next week, so can't risk the distraction...minimins is bad enough !! :D

Well I'm getting there!

Toilet -done
Bin - done
Sink - done
Floor - done
a bit if a cheat as we still have the carpet from when we moved in, so a hoover does the job. The loo is desperate & it's exposed untouched floorboards so no 'mopping' there either ;)

Meds drawer - not done but they're all in date just need a tidy, the real problem is the cabinet under the sink...

I haven't done any of the other tasks though, although I regularly take sort stuff for charity...just don't quite manage to get it to the shop...it's in a cupboard...oh dear
Socks & pants were sorted after stock replenishment by Santa ;)
I need to sort out my desk drawers - they're a mess, however, I've still got an assignment to complete for next week, so can't risk the distraction...minimins is bad enough !! :D

Baby steps! Well done!

I'm not exactly flying but am at least flapping my wings !!!

This week 'should' be a breeze, really only have nightstand & dresser to do :D

If you don't need to do the regular plan, then you are encouraged o look at the "detailed clean" for that zone. I will be doing much of the "detailed cleaning" as my bedroom stays pretty much clutter free.

FlyLady's Detailed Cleaning List - Zone 4: The Master Bedroom

This is my example for my bedroom, bathroom and closet. Adapt to fit your family. Copy and edit and print for your notebook/control journal.
Keep in mind, if you have not decluttered this area, don't even think about doing any of this, until the clutter is gone. It has been dirty for a very long time, work on the clutter first, then the detailed cleaning is a piece of cake. - FlyLady

MASTER BEDROOM - DETAILED CLEANING

1. POLISH FURNITURE (It needs oiling)
2. CLEAN OFF THE DESKS (dresser tops)
3. CLEAN COBWEBS (constant job)
4. WASH MATTRESS PAD/DUST RUFFLE (I will next go 'round when I swap from Winter to Summer bedspread). I need to alter the dust ruffle to fit better for that bedspread),
5. FLIP MATTRESS (can't -- I can turn it)
6. EMPTY TRASH (every week)
7. WASH WINDOWS (when window cleaner does outside I try and do all inside -- but I will wash all glass, including large mirror wardrobe doors).
8. CULL SOME BOOKS FROM BOOKCASE (need to do this all over the house... I have hundreds maybe thousands of books)
9. STRAIGHTEN DRAWERS (they're not bad, but wouldn't hurt)
10. CLEAN UNDER THE BED (needs vacuuming --I have storage bins under the bed that can be pulled out and wiped off)

CLOSET - DETAILED CLEANING
1. STRAIGHTEN THE TOP SHELVES (okay)
2. ARRANGE THE SHOES (okay)
3. TAKE SUITCASES TO BASEMENT (stored in cupboard in garage -- except for carry ons)
4. DUST SHOE BOOKCASE (in wardrobe -- needs doing)

MASTER BATHROOM - DETAILED CLEANING

1. WASH RUGS (I might clean the carpet and regularly wash the ensuite rugs)
2. STRAIGHTEN UP MAKEUP (not upstairs -- but I need to tidy my copious bath and other products in the ensuite)
3. STRAIGHTEN DRAWER/CABINETS (see above)
4. CLEAN SHOWER STALL/DEMOLD (always)
5. WASH SHOWER DOORS (have a curtain -- I wash this fairly regularly)

Erm..... Thank for the detailed clean list!!!.... ;)

That didn't "read" sincere! ;)

Last week's zone included kid's bedroom - it is still a work in progress.

Clothing sort out accomplished: two bags (one huge, one medium delivered next door), four (two huge, two medium to go up the street to a friend), and one for fabric recycling.

I'm putting things back into place -- tidily - then this week we'll move on to floor, desk, junk, toy, etc. clearing -- a deep cleaning is in order.

Oh last week was a wash out, I managed all the bathroom ones, but 'room of choice' (no kids) just didn't happen....BUT....

I did sort out my 3 messiest desk drawers (6 in total) and clean & tidy 5 kitchen cupboards (saucepans, under the sink, spices & tins, oils & other stuff and appliances). So feeling on top ish of things!!

Oh last week was a wash out, I managed all the bathroom ones, but 'room of choice' (no kids) just didn't happen....BUT....

I did sort out my 3 messiest desk drawers (6 in total) and clean & tidy 5 kitchen cupboards (saucepans, under the sink, spices & tins, oils & other stuff and appliances). So feeling on top ish of things!!

So your drawers were your "room of choice".

Last edited:
Great idea for a thread! This place needs some desperate cleaning... I will have to report back later on in the week when I actually get some work done.... lol!

Bloody hell, ladies, you've made me do the undoable.

I have a lot of uni work to catch up with.... One particular bit was just wrong and despite my best efforts, I couldn't find the way to put it right again. It was just one page. I have 50 more pages to redo after it. But not being able to sort that one little page out gave me this massive mental block. It has been a week now since I have done anything on it.

So, I thought 15 MINUTES!!! Set a timer, it isn't that hard. And ta-da, at 02:38 in the morning, it is done, and I feel like I can get on and do the rest of it now. Which shouldn't be a problem. Not a problem like that page, anyway :)

And now, at this insane hour, I am going to run up to my bedroom and chuck out 27 things. Then most probably read this thread a bit more until bedtime.

I do so agree that a clean house, just makes you want to live better in general. I have been putting off the decorators coming round because the place is such a tip. So I'm going to get it all sorted out in the next week and rope the bf in too, and have a house I can invite people round too. I swear my friends think I'm homeless lol... I have had some friends for two years, and yet they have never been over :eek:

Onwards, and upwards laydeeeees :)

Right, so I tidied my dressing table. Which doesn't seem like a big deal, but it took more than 15 minutes :eek:

I got a really nice cosmetics case from my boyfriend for christmas. Which I asked for. But, since cristmas it has sat there unused, receiving only the very odd guilty glance from me. But, now, it is full. And when I sort out the rest of my room, house, handbags and life, for forgotten make-up, it will probably be four times as full :)

My empty and clean and tidy dressing table is a strange sight, but a good one. It kind of looks like after the Christmas decorations have come down- a shocking difference. Tomorrows small goal will be beautifying myself. My hair will by dyed. My eyebrows will be plucked. My nose will be strimmed, my nails shall be painted, and fake tan (if I can find it!) will be done. Along with a face mask, if I can find that anywhere. And my legs will be epilated if I find the charger lol. But I will be at least half beautified either way.

And the day after, I will tackle my stairs and hallways. There is so much junk there, it is terrible. You will not quite believe how bad it is, I will need to provide photographic evidence. There are four hallways and three flights of stairs. a mahoosive job.

Morning!

Remember baby steps. Also, have you read through the "getting started" section on her website?
http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/. You can adapt and adjust her recommendations, but she does provide some helpful suggestions.

Bloody hell, ladies, you've made me do the undoable.

I have a lot of uni work to catch up with.... One particular bit was just wrong and despite my best efforts, I couldn't find the way to put it right again. It was just one page. I have 50 more pages to redo after it. But not being able to sort that one little page out gave me this massive mental block. It has been a week now since I have done anything on it.

So, I thought 15 MINUTES!!! Set a timer, it isn't that hard. And ta-da, at 02:38 in the morning, it is done, and I feel like I can get on and do the rest of it now. Which shouldn't be a problem. Not a problem like that page, anyway :)

And now, at this insane hour, I am going to run up to my bedroom and chuck out 27 things. Then most probably read this thread a bit more until bedtime.

I do so agree that a clean house, just makes you want to live better in general. I have been putting off the decorators coming round because the place is such a tip. So I'm going to get it all sorted out in the next week and rope the bf in too, and have a house I can invite people round too. I swear my friends think I'm homeless lol... I have had some friends for two years, and yet they have never been over :eek:

Onwards, and upwards laydeeeees :)

Inspiring post... Congrats on getting that sorted!

Right, so I tidied my dressing table. Which doesn't seem like a big deal, but it took more than 15 minutes :eek:

I got a really nice cosmetics case from my boyfriend for christmas. Which I asked for. But, since cristmas it has sat there unused, receiving only the very odd guilty glance from me. But, now, it is full. And when I sort out the rest of my room, house, handbags and life, for forgotten make-up, it will probably be four times as full :)

My empty and clean and tidy dressing table is a strange sight, but a good one. It kind of looks like after the Christmas decorations have come down- a shocking difference. Tomorrows small goal will be beautifying myself. My hair will by dyed. My eyebrows will be plucked. My nose will be strimmed, my nails shall be painted, and fake tan (if I can find it!) will be done. Along with a face mask, if I can find that anywhere. And my legs will be epilated if I find the charger lol. But I will be at least half beautified either way.

And the day after, I will tackle my stairs and hallways. There is so much junk there, it is terrible. You will not quite believe how bad it is, I will need to provide photographic evidence. There are four hallways and three flights of stairs. a mahoosive job.

You might want to see if you could reduce your cosmetics collection. I try to go through mine every few months and toss older stuff, stuff I haven't used, didn't like, etc. old partially used eye make-up can be unhealthy. And, when you've located your missing cord, etc. find it an "assigned place" and make yourself ALWAYS return it there. If something can't be located in this house -- it's not because I didn't put it back in its place. And, for the most part my family is "trained"... Not perfect but better.

Back