de-cluttering the home, as well as body & mind

Wow!!! I couldn't imagine being as motivated as you with a 6.5 week old!! Congratulations by the way! And congrats on the wedding :)

If you've read through some of the previous posts this is kind of a flylady thread. You can subscribe to her emails (I find she sends to many) or just copy her weekly plan off her site 'sneak peek of the week'

The website is flylady.net but this link will bring you to the sneak peek

http://www.flylady.net/c/sp.php

It's a monthly plan with each week focussing on a different area of the house and each day has a small task. She also has a habit of the month which for feb is:

De cluttering for 15 mins a day - there's more details on the website but because I'm on my phone I can't copy & paste any of it - sorry!

Good luck :)

Wow!!! I couldn't imagine being as motivated as you with a 6.5 week old!! Congratulations by the way! And congrats on the wedding :) If you've read through some of the previous posts this is kind of a flylady thread. You can subscribe to her emails (I find she sends to many) or just copy her weekly plan off her site 'sneak peek of the week' The website is flylady.net but this link will bring you to the sneak peek http://www.flylady.net/c/sp.php It's a monthly plan with each week focussing on a different area of the house and each day has a small task. She also has a habit of the month which for feb is: De cluttering for 15 mins a day - there's more details on the website but because I'm on my phone I can't copy & paste any of it - sorry! Good luck :)

Thank you :)

I read a few posts and wondered what flylady was so I'll definitely have a look now. 15 minutes a day sounds good to me, especially with a baby in tow.

MARCH 1
It's a new month --- and time to regroup.

I'm going to:
Stop consuming cr@p
Drink my water
Do my walking for Cactus' Fitness Challenge (20 hours of dog walks)
Start back to fitness classes (made a plan with a friend)
and "baby step" back into Flying with a household routine.

This month there is only one day for ZONE 1.
My Zone 1 needs ALL MONTH -- but I will do my best to sort this area today, along with "daily routine" stuff.

Zone 1: Entrance, Front Porch, and Dining Room

This week our Zone is very important to our homes.
The entrance to our homes make the first impression on our guests, our family and ourselves.
When we walk into a clean and tidy home our whole attitude will be uplifted.

Your task is to declutter this area.
Spend 15 minutes doing something, anything, in these rooms. They did not get dirty in a day and they will not get clean in a day, but you will be making headway. It is a trend! Get in the habit of decluttering in small segments of time. Decide what time of day you are going to tackle this little job, set a timer for 15 minutes, and just do it.

If Zone 1 is already decluttered: (that means no more clutter -- only the things you use and love!)
Go on to the detailed cleaning list. You will be amazed at how easy it is to shine and sparkle these rooms when the clutter is gone!

March, 02 2014 -- Habit of the Month: Get Dressed to Shoes

Sneak Peek for the Week! This week we are in: Zone 2 - The Kitchen

Zone 2: Mission #1 Monday

Take 15 minutes and scrub your stove top! Soak the knobs and drip pans in hot soapy water while you clean the stove top. Some elbow grease and hot soapy water will take care of a lot! Don't become a perfectionist and try to get it as clean as the day it was new. Just do the best you can and then scrub the drip pans and knobs. Don't scrub the knobs so hard that the numbers and words scrub off!

Anything that you do will be better than what it was!

Zone 2: Mission #2 Tuesday

Your mission for today: Scrub down your countertops. I don't mean to just wipe a rag across them! I mean you get some hot soapy water and you wipe down the counters from front to back and side to side. Yes, you have to move the stuff on the counters to do this. DON'T take everything off at one time and then plan to put it all back again. You just move your toaster (or coffee pot or whatever this is an example here!) over to one side and wipe down the counter, then move over a foot or so, move aside what is there and wipe down some more and so on. We are not marathon cleaning the kitchen here, just getting all the crumbs and junk that seems to build up behind and under things.

Zone 2: Mission # 3 Wednesday

Today your mission is to clean out under your sink! All the almost empty containers, the old nasty sponges, the grocery bags, the cleaners that you don't use, the empty jars, the clutter that just seems to pile up under the sink! You all know exactly what I am talking about!

Grab a trash bag and start flinging!

Zone 2: Mission #4 Thursday

For today I want you to grab your broom and your mop. Sweep your kitchen floor really well and then mop. There are several ways to mop a kitchen floor and no real wrong way. Hot soapy water and wipe. There is no "perfect" mop and no "perfect" way to do it. Just Do It!

Zone 2: Mission # 5 Friday

Your mission today is to clean off the top of your refrigerator. If you happen to be short this is something that you probably have to be reminded to do. Take 10 minutes and toss whatever old stuff you have hidden up there and then wipe down the top of the fridge and get all of the dust and grime off that seems to build up when you are not looking!

One member emailed the last time we did this mission and told us a really neat idea. She places plastic wrap (like Saran Wrap) on top of the fridge. No one can see it, but when it gets dusty and dirty she just grabs the wrap and tosses it and places more down. I just love these clever tricks!

MARCH 1 It's a new month --- and time to regroup. I'm going to: Stop consuming cr@p Drink my water Do my walking for Cactus' Fitness Challenge (20 hours of dog walks) Start back to fitness classes (made a plan with a friend) and "baby step" back into Flying with a household routine. This month there is only one day for ZONE 1. My Zone 1 needs ALL MONTH -- but I will do my best to sort this area today, along with "daily routine" stuff. Zone 1: Entrance, Front Porch, and Dining Room This week our Zone is very important to our homes. The entrance to our homes make the first impression on our guests, our family and ourselves. When we walk into a clean and tidy home our whole attitude will be uplifted. Your task is to declutter this area. Spend 15 minutes doing something, anything, in these rooms. They did not get dirty in a day and they will not get clean in a day, but you will be making headway. It is a trend! Get in the habit of decluttering in small segments of time. Decide what time of day you are going to tackle this little job, set a timer for 15 minutes, and just do it. If Zone 1 is already decluttered: (that means no more clutter -- only the things you use and love!) Go on to the detailed cleaning list. You will be amazed at how easy it is to shine and sparkle these rooms when the clutter is gone!

Ditto!! I've been burying my head in my studies & letting other things slip, no excuses!

Zone 2 -- updating! Edited for additional update.

Zone 2: Mission #1 DONE -- and pulled out, vacuumed behind and cleaned sides. :D

Take 15 minutes and scrub your stove top! Soak the knobs and drip pans in hot soapy water while you clean the stove top. Some elbow grease and hot soapy water will take care of a lot! Don't become a perfectionist and try to get it as clean as the day it was new. Just do the best you can and then scrub the drip pans and knobs. Don't scrub the knobs so hard that the numbers and words scrub off!

Anything that you do will be better than what it was!

Zone 2: Mission # 5 DONE -- plus tops of all cabinets, fronts of top cabinets, several drawers cleaned, all pottery on top of cabinets and exposed shelves washed. I scrubbed out the recycling bin, too. Cleaned glass doors on cabinets and French Doors.

Your mission today is to clean off the top of your refrigerator. If you happen to be short this is something that you probably have to be reminded to do. Take 10 minutes and toss whatever old stuff you have hidden up there and then wipe down the top of the fridge and get all of the dust and grime off that seems to build up when you are not looking!

One member emailed the last time we did this mission and told us a really neat idea. She places plastic wrap (like Saran Wrap) on top of the fridge. No one can see it, but when it gets dusty and dirty she just grabs the wrap and tosses it and places more down. I just love these clever tricks!

Zone 2: Mission #2 TODAY DONE -- including rescaling kettle, wiping down everything on counters and cleaning air fryer.

Your mission for today: Scrub down your countertops. I don't mean to just wipe a rag across them! I mean you get some hot soapy water and you wipe down the counters from front to back and side to side. Yes, you have to move the stuff on the counters to do this. DON'T take everything off at one time and then plan to put it all back again. You just move your toaster (or coffee pot or whatever this is an example here!) over to one side and wipe down the counter, then move over a foot or so, move aside what is there and wipe down some more and so on. We are not marathon cleaning the kitchen here, just getting all the crumbs and junk that seems to build up behind and under things.

Zone 2: Mission # 3. TODAY. DONE --

Today your mission is to clean out under your sink! All the almost empty containers, the old nasty sponges, the grocery bags, the cleaners that you don't use, the empty jars, the clutter that just seems to pile up under the sink! You all know exactly what I am talking about!

Grab a trash bag and start flinging!

Zone 2: Mission #4 TODAY DONE -

For today I want you to grab your broom and your mop. Sweep your kitchen floor really well and then mop. There are several ways to mop a kitchen floor and no real wrong way. Hot soapy water and wipe. There is no "perfect" mop and no "perfect" way to do it. Just Do It!

PLUS -- I will clean the pool table light over the sink. Clean the window sill and big window. Wipe down the table and chairs. Take out all rubbish. DONE

Wipe down bottom cabinets. Basic wipe out inside of fridge. (NOT DONE)

Last edited:
March 9 - 15, 2014: This week we are in Zone 3: The Bathroom and One Extra Room

This month's Habit is: Getting Dressed to Shoes.

Zone 3: Mission #1 Monday
The bathroom: Clean around the backside and the sides of our toilets. The wipe down all the surfaces.

The Laundry Room: Today we are going to declutter all of the laundry supplies that we have hanging around. This means to toss whatever you have that you do not use or do not like. This also means to toss all of those empty boxes and bottles that seem to pile up. Those soap boxes, dryer sheet boxes, fabric softener bottles - you all know just what I am talking about!

Zone 3: Mission #2 Tuesday
This week we are in the main bathroom and the laundry room. Your mission for today combines both of those rooms!

Have you noticed that your bathroom begins to smell bad and you can't find the stinky culprit. We are going after these yucky odors.

Take your rugs, all the fuzzy stuff on your toilet, and the towels that are just for show and we are going to wash them. While you are in the laundry room grab an old rag or washcloth and wipe down the lid of the washing machine and dryer. I am always shocked at the dust and stuff that seems to just accumulate here. Shine those babies up!

With the rugs in the washer: Sweep the bathroom floor and take a dirty towel and wet it and just mop the floor. When the Rugs are finished put them back in your wonderful smelling bathroom!

Zone 3: Mission #3 Wednesday

When you go in your bathroom each morning do you have trouble seeing yourself in the mirror. Is your beautiful image blurred from the toothpaste splatters and water marks?

Grab your favorite window cleaner and let's bring a shine to the glass. This will only take a few short minutes and while you are at it, shine that sink too.

Your Laundry Room Mission is to clean out your lint filter and double check your vent hose. Lint build up in the filter and in the vent hose is a leading cause of house fires. Something so easy for us to check but something that we just don't remember to do. Also look underneath your dryer as well, lint has a tendency to fly around and then get caught up under the dryer.

Zone 3: Mission #4 Thursday

Your next mission is to clean out your bathtub. If you don't do it everyday, the bathtub ring takes on a life of its own. Let's wipe down our tubs and get rid of that ring. If you haven't done it in a while you may need to use a little cleanser. Most of the time a little soap on a rag will take care of it.

Your Laundry Room mission for today is to empty the trash can that always seems to get forgotten! You will get bonus points if you remember to replace the bag once you take out the used one!

Zone 3: Mission #5 Friday

You have scrubbed, shined, swished, swiped and washed this week, now it is time to enjoy the fruits of your labor! Your mission for today is to take time out for you. Take a bath or shower and enjoy it! Take your time when washing your hair, scrubbing your body, shaving the forest off your legs and just enjoy the moment of being alone in your fresh, sparkly bathroom.

Your laundry room mission for today is to place a picture of your family or favorite pet or a picture of something that is special to you in your laundry room.

Reporting Back on the Week's Flying -- other than the laundry room area -- I do all of these things every week for all three bathrooms.

March 9 - 15, 2014: This week we are in Zone 3: The Bathroom and One Extra Room

This month's Habit is: Getting Dressed to Shoes.

Zone 3: Mission #1 Monday
The bathroom: Clean around the backside and the sides of our toilets. The wipe down all the surfaces.

The Laundry Room: Today we are going to declutter all of the laundry supplies that we have hanging around. This means to toss whatever you have that you do not use or do not like. This also means to toss all of those empty boxes and bottles that seem to pile up. Those soap boxes, dryer sheet boxes, fabric softener bottles - you all know just what I am talking about!

Zone 3: Mission #2 Tuesday
This week we are in the main bathroom and the laundry room. Your mission for today combines both of those rooms!

Have you noticed that your bathroom begins to smell bad and you can't find the stinky culprit. We are going after these yucky odors.

Take your rugs, all the fuzzy stuff on your toilet, and the towels that are just for show and we are going to wash them. While you are in the laundry room grab an old rag or washcloth and wipe down the lid of the washing machine and dryer. I am always shocked at the dust and stuff that seems to just accumulate here. Shine those babies up!

With the rugs in the washer: Sweep the bathroom floor and take a dirty towel and wet it and just mop the floor. When the Rugs are finished put them back in your wonderful smelling bathroom!

Zone 3: Mission #3 Wednesday

When you go in your bathroom each morning do you have trouble seeing yourself in the mirror. Is your beautiful image blurred from the toothpaste splatters and water marks?

Grab your favorite window cleaner and let's bring a shine to the glass. This will only take a few short minutes and while you are at it, shine that sink too.

Your Laundry Room Mission is to clean out your lint filter and double check your vent hose. Lint build up in the filter and in the vent hose is a leading cause of house fires. Something so easy for us to check but something that we just don't remember to do. Also look underneath your dryer as well, lint has a tendency to fly around and then get caught up under the dryer.
(My DH does this.)

Zone 3: Mission #4 Thursday

Your next mission is to clean out your bathtub. If you don't do it everyday, the bathtub ring takes on a life of its own. Let's wipe down our tubs and get rid of that ring. If you haven't done it in a while you may need to use a little cleanser. Most of the time a little soap on a rag will take care of it.

Your Laundry Room mission for today is to empty the trash can that always seems to get forgotten! You will get bonus points if you remember to replace the bag once you take out the used one!
(I do this every week.)

Zone 3: Mission #5 Friday

You have scrubbed, shined, swished, swiped and washed this week, now it is time to enjoy the fruits of your labor! Your mission for today is to take time out for you. Take a bath or shower and enjoy it! Take your time when washing your hair, scrubbing your body, shaving the forest off your legs and just enjoy the moment of being alone in your fresh, sparkly bathroom.

Your laundry room mission for today is to place a picture of your family or favorite pet or a picture of something that is special to you in your laundry room.
(I have a couple of cute things I like -- I need to add something to one item.)

Sneak Peek for the Week of March 16 - 22, 2014.
This month's Habit is: Getting Dressed to Shoes

This week we are in Zone 4: The Master Bedroom

Zone 4: Mission #1 Monday

Your mission for today is to grab a trash bag, set the timer and start tossing anything that is trash. Just toss toss toss. Sometimes we have hidden trash in our bedrooms,things that are disguising themselves as necessary items but really they are trash. Toss those magazines, the junk mail that has been tossed in a pile, the old perfumes that are never worn but still have a place on your dresser, the old clothes that are on the chair that need to be donated or tossed but are still there, empty tissue boxes etc. Toss toss toss!
Look around your bedroom and ask yourself if there is anything laying around that you would consider trash if it was in a hotel room. Your bedroom should be your very favorite retreat!

Zone 4: Mission #2 Tuesday

Still working on the theme of our bedrooms being a retreat, we are going to focus on the "stuff" that is hanging around in our bedroom that need to be put away but we just have not gotten around to. Set your timer for 15 minutes and go to it. Hang up the clothes, put the laundry basket of clothes away, take the coffee mug on the nightstand to the kitchen and turn around and come right back, don't get sidetracked. Better yet, have an empty laundry basket and toss in the things that do not belong in your room and then take the basket around the house and deliver the items. Put things away and get the things that don't belong out of there.

Look around your bedroom and ask yourself if there is anything laying around that you would consider out of place if it was in a hotel room. Your bedroom should be your very favorite retreat!

Zone 4: Mission #3 Wednesday

We are back in the master bedroom and now we are going after the dusties! Let's grab those feather dusters or dust rags and dust the bedroom furniture. This means to pick up anything that is on these surfaces and dust underneath of them, also to dust the lamps and the decorative items as well. Bust out the Dust!!!!!!

Look around your bedroom and see if you missed any dust, if you were paying for a hotel room on vacation would you want to pay for a room with dust

Zone 4: Mission #4 Thursday

Your mission for today is to get your bed ready for a good night's rest before we celebrate bringing in the new year. Put clean sheets on your bed, fluff the pillows, and take your time making it up. Make it fresh and pretty for yourself. Get the bed dressed the way you would love to fall into it to spend some time just laying there and enjoying your vacation getaway!!!

Zone 4: Mission #5

Today you are to grab your favorite pj's and settle into bed at least an half an hour earlier than usual with a candle and a great book or magazine and enjoy your beautiful, clean, fresh bedroom. Just take time out to enjoy the treat that you have taken the time out to give to your self.

Last edited:
Sneak Peek for the Week: March 23 - 29, 2014
This month's Habit is: Getting Dressed to Shoes

Zone 5: The Living Room

Zone 5: Mission #1 Monday

This week we are in the Living Room Zone and I want each and every one of you to go into your living rooms and stand there. While you are standing there I want you to look around you and look at the flat surfaces (end tables, coffee tables, tops of tv's/entertainment centers, bookcases, mantles, etc)
What do have on these surfaces? Are they the same decorative things that you have always had? Do you really love them? Are they cluttered up with too many things? Too many ducks, bunnies, candles, cows, precious moments etc? I am not condemning those things but asking you if they still bring you joy and do you still love seeing them in your living room? Or are you just used to them.

What about the piles of magazines and papers? Do you NEED those? You would be amazed at how much neater your living room will appear by just removing a few things.

How much easier would it be to dust these areas without all that stuff?

Your mission is to get rid of the stuff that is cluttering up your living room. Take 5 minutes to let go of some things. I am willing to bet that more of you will find you do want to get rid of some things because they do not bring you joy and you are just used to them being there.

Zone 5: Mission #2 Tuesday

Today we are back to the Living Room!

Let's have a detailed vacuuming session. This means to vacuum the room, making sure to get up against the baseboards and to get under the furniture. Please be careful that you don't hurt yourself trying to move furniture. If it is too difficult to get under the couch or chairs then just try to get as close to the base of the furniture as you can. Don't forget the corners!

Zone 5: Mission #3 Wednesday

For today you are to take 5 minutes and dust the decorative items in your living room. The picture frames, lamps and knick knacks, this is a detailed dusting. Turn on the music and move quickly, you will be amazed at how fast you can to this!

Zone 5: Mission #4 Thursday

Today we are going after the neglected areas of our living room/family room. Grab a feather duster or dust rag and go after the tops of door jambs, tops of pictures, molding, windows, corners of the ceiling and the tops of your curtains. OH my it is amazing at what gathers higher up! If you happen to be rather short, you may often forget to look UP! Now do not get obsessed and start tearing the room apart. Just look up and dust! If you have something with a long handle it makes this easier. A tip for those of you with high (Cathedral) ceilings: get a long section of small diameter PVC pipe and drop the handle of your feather duster in it, secure it with a strip of duct tape and start dusting away! PVC pipe is readily available in any home improvement store.

Zone 5: Mission #5

Today is the last day of the Living Room Zone. Your mission for today is to place something pretty in the room that is just for you. I am thinking of some lovely flowers that are from your garden or a small bouquet that you can purchase for just a few dollars. Maybe you have a lovely arrangement or plant somewhere in your home that would look just "right" and make you smile in your freshly cleaned living room! Enjoy!

Found this Year Long Challenge.
It's already week 12 -- so,it's either catch up of just jump in where we are.

Week 1: Kitchen organization: countertops and sink (January 6, 2014) DONE
Week 2: Kitchen drawers and kitchen cabinet organization (January 13, 2014) DONE
Week 3: Organize pantry, spices and food storage areas (January 20, 2014) DONE
Week 4: Organizing refrigerator and freezer (January 27, 2014) FRIDGE DONE (FREEZER TO DO)
Week 5: Organize recipes and cookbooks (February 3, 2014) DONE
Week 6: Create a home recycling center (plus dealing with trash) (February 10, 2014) DONE
Week 7: Organize coupons (February 17, 2014) NEEDS RE-DOING
Week 8: Healthy meal planning and creating grocery shopping list (February 24, 2014) DONE
Week 9: Create simple address book and organize contact information (March 3, 2014) RE-DOING
Week 10: Create a home mail organizer center (March 10, 2014) DONE
Week 11: Organize bills (March 17, 2014) DONE
Week 12: Create a personal tax organizer system and organize receipts (March 24, 2014) DONE
Week 13: Organize files and create home filing system (March 31, 2014) DONE
Week 14: Organizing magazines, newspapers and catalogs (April 7, 2014) DONE -- but could be gone through again
Week 15: Organize passwords, manuals and warranties (April 14, 2014). DONE
Week 16: Home office organization (April 21, 2014) DONE (as best DH will)
Week 17: Create a house cleaning schedule and organize cleaning supplies (April 28, 2014) DONE
Week 18: Bathroom organization (May 5, 2014) FAMILY BATH AND LOO DONE - I NEED TO GIVE THE EN SUITE A RE-DO
Week 19: Create a first aid and medicine organizer center (May 12, 2014) DONE (But should be checked and updated)
Week 20: Mudroom and entryway organization (May 19, 2014) DONE - but are needs repainting and then the coat rail will be reinstalled (MAY)
Week 21: Organizing living room and family room (May 26, 2014) DONE -- but needs a glean and clean
Week 22: Organize dining room and kitchen eating area (June 2, 2014). HUGE MESS
Week 23: Laundry room organization (June 9, 2014) DONE - but could go through top shelf
Week 24: Laundry organization: baskets and hampers (June 16, 2014). DONE
Week 25: Organizing purses, handbags and wallets (June 23, 2014) DONE
Week 26: Organize books (June 30, 2014) THEY'RE ORGANIZED BUT EXCESSIVE. I NEED TO "LET GO".
Week 27: CD and DVD storage and organization (July 7, 2014) DONE
Week 28: Organize photos, both physical and digital, plus negatives (July 14, 2014). HUGE JOB -- I'VE GOT YEARS' OF PHOTOS AND SCRAPBOOKING STUFF TO SORT
Week 29: Craft organization (July 21, 2014) NIGHTMARE JOB!
Week 30: Car organization (July 28, 2014) PRETTY GOOD -- and needs to be addressed on Fridays.
Week 31: Organize pet supplies (August 4, 2014) DONE
Week 32: Outdoor and garden storage and organization (August 11, 2014) NEEDS RE-DOING, CLEANING AND GLEANING
Week 33: Basement organization (August 18, 2014) DON'T HAVE -- BUT MUST DO STORAGE ROOM
Week 34: Homework area and home launching pad (August 25, 2014) HAVE
Week 35: Organize linen closet (September 1, 2014) DONE -- BUT COULD DO GLEANING AND CLEANING
Week 36: Organize closet (master bedroom) (September 8, 2014) DONE --BUT COULD DO GLEANING AND CLEANING
Week 37: Outgrown and seasonal clothing storage (September 15, 2014) DONE -- BUT ALWAYS CAN BE REDONE
Week 38: Master bedroom organization (September 22, 2014) DONE -- BUT COULD DO GLEANING AND CLEANING
Week 39: Organize your garage (September 29, 2014). NIGHTMARE
Week 40: Attic organizing (October 6, 2014) JUST BOXES
Week 41: Organize jewelry and other accessories (October 13, 2014) DONE
Week 42: Organize shoes (October 20, 2014) DONE
Week 43: Cosmetic and makeup organization (October 27, 2014) DONE
Week 44: Organizing closet space for your kids (November 3, 2014) DONE
Week 45: Kids' bedroom organizing challenge (November 10, 2014) NIGHTMARE JOB
Week 46: Organize toys and games (November 17, 2014) NIGHTMARE JOB
Week 47: Create personal home inventory (November 24, 2014) NEEDS DOING
Week 48: Storage for china, glassware and crystal (December 1, 2014) DONE -- BUT COULD BE IMPROVED
Week 49: Storing silver properly to inhibit tarnishing (December 8, 2014) DON'T HAVE
Week 50: Christmas decoration storage and organization (December 15, 2014) DONE -- BUT COULD DO GLEANING AND CLEANING
Week 51: Organize wrapping paper and gift bags (December 22, 2014) DONE --
Week 52: Keep a family calendar (December 29, 2014) DONE

This week's ZONEs are front porch, entrance and dining room.

Zone 1: Mission #1 Monday

We are in Zone 1 this week, that is the Front Porch, the Entrance area and the Dining Room.

Today you are to sweep your front porch area around your front door. Shake out your welcome mats and wipe down your front door. This makes a huge difference in how your home looks. We have a tendency to neglect this area and yet it is the first thing that people see when they come to your home.

Spend 15 minutes taking care of this, you will be pleased with the results!

Zone 1: Mission #2 Tuesday

We are going to have a multi room mission today, it might take you longer than 15 minutes to do it, so set your timer for each room and FLY through it!

For the Front Porch, Entrance and Dining Room, put out the fires that are burning in your hot spots. Get rid of the pile of shoes by the front door, get rid of the pile of junk mail and put away the magazines and school papers that are piled on the dining room table.

They are smoldering so get to it!

Zone 1: Mission # 3 Wednesday

Today take a look at the walls and the windows in your dining room. Grab some cleaner and a cloth and go after the finger prints and smudges that those mysterious little elves seem to leave behind as they run through your house when no one is looking!

Be careful with the walls as not to rub too hard to remove paint if you have a flat finish.

Zone 1: Mission #4 Thursday

We are heading into the Entrance area of your home today. Let's grab all those shoes, books and jackets that seem to pile up right by the front door and put them away. In my house, no one ever drops their things there, they get up and walk there all by themselves!

Grab these things and set your timer. I bet you can do this in less than 15 minutes.

Zone 1: Mission # 5 Friday

Today we are going to do that in the Dining Room and Entrance Way. Let's go after the ceilings, light fixtures and window sills!

Using a feather duster or dust rag get the window sills, the light fixtures, the dusties in the corners and the ceiling fan if you have one (remember to put something underneath this to catch the falling debris, one member uses an old pillow case and slips it over the blade and wipes so the dust stays in the case, I thought this was
brilliant!)

I'm back from holiday and ready to "jump in" where we are.
This month's Habit is: Making Your Bed
Sneak Peek for the Week: April 13 - 19, 2014

Zone 3: The Bathroom and One Extra Room

Mission #1 Monday
This week we are in the bathroom and another room. The other room will be our Guest or Extra Room! This means whatever room that you have that is your dumping ground. For most people it would be the guest room. You choose the room that needs de-cluttering the most for the other room.

Bathroom: Clear off the Hotspots that have gathered on the back of the tub and the bathroom sink tops.

Guest/Extra Room: Grab a bag and do a 27 fling boogie of things to throw away. The things that are obvious trash. We are not doing anything other than getting rid of things to toss. Set your timer for 15 minutes and do as many 27 flings as you can! Have fun with these missions!

Mission #2 Tuesday

Bathroom: Check the supplies that are needed in your bathroom. Do you need toilet paper, toothpaste, shampoo, mouthwash, soap etc. Add these to your shopping list this week. Take a visual inventory to make sure you have what you need so one of your family members are not stuck in the bathroom yelling for toilet paper, nothing says "I Love You" like plenty of toilet paper!

Guest/Extra Room: Another 27 Fling Boogie but this time with things that need to be put away into other areas of the house. Get a box or bag and put the things that have obvious homes and place them in the box or bag. Then go deliver them to their proper homes. Have fun!

Mission #3 Wednesday

Bathroom Mission: Today you are to wash your bathroom rugs, shower curtains and accessories. This will take longer than 15 minutes and for those of you that are working outside the home you may have to schedule this out over the next few days. In total to take the rugs to the machine and bring them back to the bathroom is less than 15 minutes but the wait time for the washing machine and dryer will take up some time.

Guest/Extra Room: Back in we go - can we say 27 Fling again? This time we are going to gather up 27 things to give away. Things that have gotten tossed in this room that we no longer love, need or use. After you have completed this take the bag straight to the car to drop off at a donation location of your choice.

Mission #4 Thursday

Bathroom Mission: take 10 minutes to toss old cosmetics and perfumes. If you have these items that you have not used for over a year but they are still hanging around, it is time to dump them.

Let's dump those lipsticks, mascaras and eye-shadows that we have held on to since high school and college. The key to what to not to keep is: If you have not worn anything in the past year then....... TOSS TOSS TOSS!

Most cosmetics have a limited shelf life and are harboring grounds for bacteria. This also applies to lotions and moisturizers.

For the Guest/Extra Room: If you have noticed the trend that we are working on in this room - it is de-cluttering! With BabySteps. We are going back in this room for our last 27 fling boogie! Once again look for 27 things that need to be put away. Are there some clothing items that have been dumped? Coats that need to be hung up? Books that need to go back to the book shelf? Just 27 things put away throughout the house back where they belong.

Mission #5 Friday

Bathroom Mission: Today, grab those old toothbrushes that you have just for cleaning and scrub those sink faucets and tub faucets. It is amazing how gross those faucets can get! Just a little soap and water with the toothbrush will make a huge difference! I know this is on of those missions that makes you groan but it takes less than 5minute to do and those faucets will shine!

For the Guest/Extra Room: It does not mater if you still have clutter in this room, after this week of missions you have made a dent in it and you now know the BabySteps to use to continue de-cluttering. Today you are going to vacuum the floor. Even if there is only a little bit of floor showing that is fine. Just vacuum what you can. When we can see we are making progress we are able to stay motivated and not feel defeated.

Remember, Progress not Perfection!

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Decluttering and Lent bag a day not the best. But I shall continue in this endevour.

On Thursday my DD and DH went to Thorpe Park and I had the day and evening to get some things done.

I got basic bathrooms and vacuuming cleaning done - plus, the shoe drawers, and all the ironing caught up for the first time in months (now, if I can stay on too of it). I also packed up the bedding from the guest room and put it back. All the trip stuff is put away - including cases. Only thing left to sort there is the scrapbook stuff.

I also restarted my bedroom Spring Clean - which I hope to finish up today while DD and DH are at ice skating. I've already washed the curtains, repaired the pull down shade and changed from winter bedspread to spring one. I've laundered the winter spread, dust ruffle and shams. I need to alter the spring dust ruffle (as it's a king on a queen box). Then, I need to wash all the knock knacks, wash down all the wood and oil it. Vacuum up dust everywhere, clean the light fixtures, etc. it's usually tidy -- but it's very dusty and grotty.

But, it never ends -- I have so much to do and I just don't do it.

I think DH wants some gardening done, today. I'm going to need to pull weeds along the front under the office window and do the triangular side bed at the very least. Plus, the walkways and terrace need to be swept (I think DD can do this).

Sigh!

Sneak Peek for the Week: April 20 - 26, 2014
This month's Habit is: Making Your Bed
This week we are in Zone 4: The Master Bedroom

Zone 4: Mission #1 Monday
This week we are focusing on making our bedroom into a vacation getaway. Your mission for today is to grab a trash bag, set the timer and start tossing anything that is trash. Remember that when we say toss we mean for you to throw away and recycle what you can.

Just toss toss toss.

Sometimes we have hidden trash in our bedrooms, things that are disguising themselves as necessary items but really they are trash. Toss those magazines, the junk mail that has been tossed in a pile, the old perfumes that are never worn but still have a place on your dresser, the old clothes that are on the chair that need to be donated or tossed but are still there, empty tissue boxes etc. Toss toss toss!

Look around your bedroom and ask yourself if there is anything around that you would consider trash if it was in a hotel room. We are turning our bedrooms into our own personal vacation retreat. Your home should be your very favorite retreat!

Zone 4: Mission #2 Tuesday

Still working on the theme of our vacation retreat, today we are going to focus on the "stuff" that is hanging around in our bedroom that needs to be put away but we just have not gotten around to. Set your timer for 15 minutes and go to it. Hang up the clothes, put the laundry basket of clothes away, take the coffee mug on the nightstand to the kitchen and turn around and come right back, don't get sidetracked. Better yet, have an empty laundry basket and toss in the things that do not belong in your room and then take the basket around the house and deliver the items. Put things away and get the things that don't belong out of there.

Look around your bedroom and ask yourself if there is anything around that you would consider out of place if it was in a hotel room. We are turning our homes into our own personal vacation retreat. Your home should be your very favorite retreat!

Zone 4: Mission #3 Wednesday

We are back in the master bedroom and now we are going after the dusties! Let's grab those feather dusters or dust rags and dust the bedroom furniture. This means to pick up anything that is on these surfaces and dust underneath of them, also to dust the lamps and the decorative items as well. Bust out the Dust!

Look around your bedroom and see if you missed any dust, if you were paying for a hotel room on vacation would you want to pay for a room with dust? We are turning our bedrooms into our own personal vacation retreat. Your home should be your very favorite retreat!

Zone 4: Mission #4 Thursday

Your mission for today is to get your bed ready for a vacation getaway weekend. Put clean sheets on your bed, fluff the pillows, and take your time making it up. Make it fresh and pretty for yourself. Get the bed dressed the way you would love to fall into it to spend some time just laying there and enjoying your vacation getaway!!!

Zone 4: Mission #5 Friday

Today you are to grab your favorite pj's and settle into bed at least an half an hour earlier than usual with a candle and a great book or magazine and enjoy your beautiful, clean, fresh bedroom. Just take time out to enjoy the treat that you have taken the time out to give to your self. We are so proud of all of you for taking the time to treat yourselves to a vacation getaway right in your very own bedroom!

Subscribing, if that's okay... Not sure I can stick to the Flylady schedule at the mo, but need a bit of inspiration to get my house decluttered - seems like I've been saving stuff up for a carboot for ages, but still haven't done one! :)

Subscribing, if that's okay... Not sure I can stick to the Flylady schedule at the mo, but need a bit of inspiration to get my house decluttered - seems like I've been saving stuff up for a carboot for ages, but still haven't done one! :)

Welcome -- you just use it as guide and jump in to do what you can. Because I have been trying to "Fly" for some time - I have developed some good habits that help keep C.H.A.O.S. under control. (C.H.A.O.S. - stands for Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome). I still have major clutter issues (and like you need to Boot Sale or donate lots, plus home maintenance, incomplete projects, etc.) but I can open my door and have a person sit in my kitchen or living room on any day at any time without too much embarrassment. And, my loos are always guest okay. Plus, my bed in made every morning, and my sink is left clean at night.

I don't get dressed to the shoes -- but I do usually change from PJs to I can open the door and walk the dog clothes. I don't "dress to the shoes" until I'm out to meet the world - as I get grubby cleaning.

Me too! I thought that when I read the bit about getting dressed to the shoes. I've ruined more than a couple pairs of yoga pants by getting bleach on them :mad:

Will be popping back in fer shur!

I never get dressed to shoes but do wear house clothes :)

I lurk a lot but read this thread often and try to Fly! It's not always easy but I feel like I'm starting to really get on top of our clutter now. ..just need my husband to stop hoarding!!!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Morning!

Me too! I thought that when I read the bit about getting dressed to the shoes. I've ruined more than a couple pairs of yoga pants by getting bleach on them :mad:

Will be popping back in fer shur!

My aunt was very "slap dash" when she did her housework and once wiped her bleach covered gloves on the back of her jeans -- she had white hand prints on her bum! It looked pretty funny!

I never get dressed to shoes but do wear house clothes :)
I lurk a lot but read this thread often and try to Fly! It's not always easy but I feel like I'm starting to really get on top of our clutter now. ..just need my husband to stop hoarding!!!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Hi Jayde! Good luck with that - it's much easier to tackle your own clutter issues - but touching someone else's hoard can be a real deal breaker. My husband hoards books (I do, too). So. I have taken a cardboard box and said, "For every book I put in this box, will you put one. Then, we'll donate them to charity.". When, I finish a novel - I now either put in a box to be sent to my sister or a friend, give it to a local friend, leave it a local GP's as they resale for a charity, etc. it doesn't get put back in a pile or on a shelf.
As I do the laundry - when I come across something tatty (that can't be repaired or won't be) it immediately goes into a fabric toss bag. (On errand day - I take the recycling to the centre - if it needs doing.)

Wednesday is "anti-procrastination day" . . . and I am a notorious procrastinator. (Notice I'm talking about Wednesday on Thursday)!

In my defense, I was thrown off my anti-procrastination plan by getting a letter stating there was an issue with my DD's passport renewal. It was sorted after several phone calls and an email, BUT if DH had checked his email in the morning - the embassy had sent a "disregard that letter" email! MEN! (He won't check his personal email at work: not even on a break because he discourages the other employees from doing it). Such a waste of time and energy. He can pick her passport up today.

Also, foot op friend showed up (unexpectedly) after she got off work and I was in the middle of giving myself a pedicure. (I did get to a good stopping point after she left and fixed dinner whilst she was here.)

So, sidetracked as I was --

I WILL "anti-procrastinate" a bit today. It meshes well with Thursday being "errand day". I can do a few procrastinated things here, then shower, dress (to be seen in public), and head out to run some errands -- and at least one of these should be counted as anti-procrastinating! :).

Then, I'll need to come home and clean. I have leftover turkey I can turn into something (a stir fry, I think) for dinner tonight. DD doesn't like stir fry's much - but there are plenty of meatballs and pasta from last night.

Time to empty my dishwasher and reboot the laundry -- I usually unload the dishwasher before DD comes downstairs, but she moved faster this morning - I like to see if she is sorted, check she is having a balanced breakfast and leave her in peace -- 15 year old girls are not so charming in the morning. I take my coffee into the living room and watch the news there - until the coast is clear!

Last edited:
Back