de-cluttering the home, as well as body & mind

Wow Mama-Bear you sound like you're really flying!!

I sorted out my worst kitchen cupboard - baking stuff (I do a lot of baking) - feeling quite satisfied! Plus laundry done & sink is shiny. Hopefully getting a new kitchen this year, which means dishwasher - hurrah! That reminds me I must get some quotes off builders!!

I wish I were the best... I'm the best at telling everyone else to do it! LOL

Today's list:

Family bath -- big scrub
Upstairs hallway vacuum
My bed changed
Lots of laundry, washed, dried and one put away
Usual basic wee tidy
Dishes

Not impressed -- but I did go to the cinema and have spent ages looking at cruises. I think I found one I really like. May call tomorrow.

This Week: January 5 - 11, 2014

This week we are in Zone 2: The Kitchen this week and we are going to work our way through from top to bottom!!

This month's Habit is: Shining Your Sink

Zone 2: Mission #1 Monday

Your mission for today is to look UP!

We all have a tendency to only see what is at eye level. Today we are going to look up, set your timer for 10 minutes and take a broom or a feather duster and get those dust bunnies and cobwebs that are hanging on the upper walls that are taller than you, the corners of the ceilings and the ceiling. If you are feeling adventurous ask someone in the house to help you and take a damp rag to the light fixture and/or ceiling fan. Please be careful!! Check out the top of your refrigerator as well. I am always so floored at how much dust accumulates on top of the fridge!! Don't get obsessed and take your light fixture apart or repaint the ceiling! Babysteps!!!!

Zone 2: Mission #2 Tuesday

Back to the kitchen we go! Your mission for today is to wipe down the doors of your cabinets. Use a damp rag and wipe down the fronts and the edges of your cabinets. This is really a simple thing to do but we have a tendency to ignore the cabinets because there is always so much more going on in the kitchen. Finger prints and grease attach themselves to the cabinets and make them a little sticky. A good wipe down will make such a difference.

Zone 2: Mission #3 Wednesday

It is Anti-Procrastination day we are diving into the refrigerator!

Grab your trash can and take it over to the refrigerator and throw open the door. First toss out any leftovers that have gotten pushed to the back and have now started to turn into a science project.

Second, check the fruit/vegetable drawers and toss what no longer is appealing to eat. Third, check the meat and cheese drawer, check the expiration dates on your items in there and toss what needs to go.

Fourth, check out the doors of the fridge, toss the empty condiment jars and bottles that always seem to magically go back into the fridge when empty, LOL, but when full get left on the counter. Recycle what you can!

Last, grab a damp rag and wipe down the shelves. Do not take every single thing out of your refrigerator and then take the shelves out to clean them. Just wipe them down. How many times have we decided to tear the fridge apart and three hours later we would rather move out than ever do it again.

Don't let yourself get sidetracked!! Have fun and enjoy your sparkling refrigerator!

Zone 2: Mission #4 Thursday

It has come to the time to go after those counter tops!! Your mission for today is to scrub those counter tops. Not just the average wipe down that we do after dinner. Now it is very easy to make this task overwhelming but if you take this slow and easy you can do this! DO NOT TAKE EVERYTHING OFF OF THE COUNTERS AT ONE TIME!!!! I promise you will get sidetracked and then you will all email me crying that it is all my fault!! LOL! You just move your toaster (or coffee pot or whatever this is an example here!) over to one side and wipe down the counter, then move over a foot or so, move aside what is there and wipe down some more and so on. We are not marathon cleaning the kitchen here, just getting all the crumbs and junk that seems to build up behind and under things. Have fun! Don't obsess!

Zone 2: Mission #5 Friday

Today is our last day in the Kitchen!! For today I want you to grab your broom and your mop. Sweep your kitchen floor really well and then mop. There are several ways to mop a kitchen floor and no real wrong way. Hot soapy water nd wipe. There is no "perfect" mop and no "perfect" way to do it. Just Do It!

Well I have a shiny sink, clean cupboard doors, clean doors, a clean fridge, clean surfaces & 1 tidy cupboard!!

Tomorrow dusting high & cleaning my floor :)

Well I have a shiny sink, clean cupboard doors, clean doors, a clean fridge, clean surfaces & 1 tidy cupboard!!

Tomorrow dusting high & cleaning my floor :)

Well done!

I have cleaned out, organized and some even repapered cupboards and cabinets.
Fridge cleaned out and organized. Grocery shopping done and put away, too.
Some drawers cleaned out and relined.
Cobweb clear -- but could do with "dusting high".
Counters wiped down.
Floor cleaned.
Recycling taken to center.

I'm going to wash the outside of the cabinets and fridge tomorrow..
Windows and glass doors will be cleaned, too.
Downstairs loo will be cleaned, too.

And, I'm going to buy more shelf liner and continue cleaning and clearing drawers -- if not tomorrow, then as a part of my daily chores.

Wowzers!!! Going over my cupboard doors made me realise how awful my cupboards are!!! Need to sort them. My plan is to sort the kitchen during cooking time, so while stuffs bubbling away I can clear a cupboard or two!

Whilst it's still a little cluttered it was a pleasure to walk into my kitchen today :)

I try very hard to keep my kitchen and lounge reasonably clean and tidy -- as the messes stress me out. (I have a lot of closed doors at the moment. Rooms that need sorting.)

I try very hard to keep my kitchen and lounge reasonably clean and tidy -- as the messes stress me out. (I have a lot of closed doors at the moment. Rooms that need sorting.)

Ha ha!! My friend came over yesterday & all doors upstairs, aside from the bathroom, we're closed - too messy!!

Friday, 10 Jan.

All Christmas stuff is completely down, sorted, properly packed and bins returned to garage for storage. Including boxed tree!
Living room vacuumed and a little light dusting. Hallway, kitchen and downstairs loo vacuumed, too.
Lots of laundry done and more in progress.
Downstairs loo cleaned.
DD's bed stripped and sheets in wash. She's home now, so I'll have her remake it.

I still need to wash the outside of the cabinets and fridge, plus kitchen windows and glass doors will be cleaned, too.
I need to do these things, then color my hair. As the color soaks in -- I'll clean the ensuite bathroom.

It doesn't sound like much -- but it's something.

minimel its great your using calories doing your hair and cleaning fab result x

minimel its great your using calories doing your hair and cleaning fab result x

Unfortunately, housework doesn't count as fitness if it is part of your regular routine. It has to be above and beyond (it was nice enough to garden, I should have done that).

Still working on the chores: outside of fridge cleaned, glass on cabinets and French doors done, microwave in and outside, DD's bed remade, plus still working on laundry.

Left to do on today's list: hair color, ensuite bathroom cleaned, and cabinet outside washed down

It does sound like much!! I need to colour my hair too & it is a perfect clean bathroom opportunity.

Changed my bed, dishes all done, kitchen still clean, cobwebs gone & floor well & truly swept. Will mop it tomorrow & clean out the spice cupboard..,

It does sound like much!! I need to colour my hair too & it is a perfect clean bathroom opportunity.

Changed my bed, dishes all done, kitchen still clean, cobwebs gone & floor well & truly swept. Will mop it tomorrow & clean out the spice cupboard..,

Well done!

January 12 - 18, 2014
TRYING TO START THE WEEK OFF RIGHT: Sneak Peek for the Week
This week we are in Zone 3: The Bathroom and One Extra Room

This month's Habit is: Shining Your Sink. (I used the fridge's old box of baking soda to shine the kitchen and bathroom sink -- when I cleaned the fridge.)

Zone 3: Mission #1 Monday
This week we are in Zone 3. This is the main bathroom and another room of your choice. For those of you with children we are going to have a mission for you or for you to give to the kids depending on their age.

Your mission for today in the bathroom is to wipe down around the base and the back of the toilet. This is an area that we all seem to forget about until we notice it on day and it seems too far gone to do anything about it! Grab a rag and some general purpose cleaner and wipe down the toilet from the bowl downward, the floor around the base and behind base. This is a quick and easy mission to do!

For the kids room: Go into the room with a small trash bag, empty the trash can in the room and get rid of anything that needs to be thrown away. Old school papers that don't need saving, candy or gum wrappers, broken pens or pencils, things that are small and taking up precious space that is truly trash. Don't make this too hard! Just the obvious things that need to be thrown away, don't throw open the drawers and closets. Just the obvious trash. This is also a great opportunity to teach your children to use the recycle bins for any paper trash.

No kids? Do the same mission in any room of your choice!

Zone 3: Mission #2 Tuesday

We are back in the bathroom and your mission for today is to clean out your bathroom trash can. Use the tub to fill the can with hot water and add some general purpose cleaner or dish soap. Let it soak and then scrub the bottom, the sides and the outside. Turn it over and let it dry in the tub and then put it back before someone needs to bathe and ends up taking a shower with the trash can! Have fun! This is so simple and makes a difference!

Your mission for the kids room is challenge them to a 27 Fling Boogie! You know your kids - if 27 is going to be too much then scale it back, if they are small have them choose three toys that are broken or missing pieces and throw those away. Then have them choose three things that they no longer play with to bless another child with. Choose the number based on their age and maturity. Use BabySteps, remember that this is a teaching moment - not a battle.

No kids? Do a 27 Fling Boogie in a room of your choice! Do it fast and don't look back!

Zone 3: Mission #3 Wednesday

It is Anti-procrastination Day! It is time to take a look into the medicine cabinets and toss the empty bottles and boxes that are taking up space. While you are doing this also take a look at the expiration dates on the medicines that are there. If you have some that need to be gotten rid of take care of that as well. Grab a damp rag and wipe down the shelves. Don't take everything out, just lift, wipe and put back.

For the kids room - Throw open the sock drawer and start flinging! I don't know what it is about the socks but they lose their mates and for some strange reason there always seem to be socks in the drawers that are too small!! There could be socks that your child never wears because they don't like them. Fling them! Have your child help you if they are old enough or have them do it themselves. Toss the socks!

No kids? Do a Hot spot Fire Drill in the room of your choice!

Zone 3: Mission #4 Thursday

The bathroom sink is calling you! Let's shine our bathroom sinks and counter tops. Scrub the sink and the faucets, wipe down with Windex (remember to be careful that you are not mixing Windex with any bleach products, make sure you rinse very well before using the Windex). Take time to wipe down your counter tops and give them a shine as well.

For the kids room - get a damp cloth and wipe off the fingerprints from the light switch plates, door and door knobs. If your child is old enough show them how to do this and let them! It does not have to be perfect. Remember if you make cleaning something negative they will always think of cleaning up as something terrible and that they never did it right!

No Kids? Pick a room of your choice and do one more Hot Spot fire drill. Get in there and put out the heat!

Zone 3: Mission #5 Friday

We are in the last day of Zone Three!! Your mission in the bathroom is to mop the floor. Now, you can do this with some hot soapy water and a rag or mop. There is no perfect way to mop. Just get the floor wet, wipe it and dry it!

For the kids room - Do or teach the Hot Spot Fire Drill!! Look in your children's room and find the one spot that seems to be the dumping area. This could be the desk, night stand or top of the dresser. Once again use this as a teaching moment - not a battle! Have patience and keep in mind that they can't read your mind!

No Kids? Pick a room of your choice and head in for another 27 boogie! Grab the bag and dash through the room tossing 27 items that can go far away from your house! Get the "stuff" that is taking up space out of there!

Back