Deciding on a goal

Spanglymum

Gold Member
How did you set your goal? A number of us were talking about this at group on Friday and we've all independently picked a BMI in the "normal" range. However, our LLC said that was probably unrealistic, and we should be looking for a weight we would be able to maintain long term. I see her point but it does seem quite defeatist so early in the game!

She suggested a BMI of 27 - but if I end up there I know I will be disappointed, having put all this effort in.

Any thoughts on goal setting? How did you go about it?

Hi Spangly,

I know what she means but I think its hard to maintain at any weight unless you've sorted out your demons (which is what the counselling is for) so why wouldn't you be able to maintain at your ideal weight if you have the emotional tools to cope.

Perhaps she just thinks you may see it as a far off goal whereas as aiming for BMI 27 may be closer. When you get there you can readjust lower.

I know I am happy at 11st but ideally want to be 10st. Its up to me to get there and decide what feels right for me.

Hope that helps.

my initial goal was 8st 3lb, to be fair i thought i was 5ft 2in so that was mid healthy weight range. i got down to 9st and i felt weak, ill cold all the time and my size 8s were hanging off me, i had dark circles under my eyes was constantly tired. i then got weighed at boots, which does your height and i was actually 5ft 4in!!!! so i started rtm straight away and my llc was great. i struggled to gain the first few weeks and went down to 8st 10lb. not a good look for a mother of 2. youll know your ideal weight when you get there. its the weight your body maintains when you are eating normally.
for me id like to be 9st 4 - 9st 7lb but i think 9st 10 - 9st 12lb is easier for me to maintain.... a hellish few months of binge eating after some sad things happened and im back to redo it. i start ll lite on tues as i cant face abstinance again.
in my class everyones goal changed on a monthly basis... i know it doesnt really help you goal set but dont worry about it too much. your goal is to be healthy and enjoy a good healthy future at whatever weight or bmi that maybe for you...
sorry for the long response, just took me a loooong time to get my head around what is right for ME. good luck your losses are fab xx

I set my goal based on what I think would be my healthiest and most comfortable weight. My LLC says that you will know yourself what's the right goal for you.
Whatever it is I'm sure you'll look fab! ;)

I set my goal based on what I think would be my healthiest and most comfortable weight. My LLC says that you will know yourself what's the right goal for you.
Whatever it is I'm sure you'll look fab! ;)

Hello!
My counsellor says the same thing, she did lighter life herself and lost 6 stone, and says that she maintains a BMI of 27 and it works for her.
I set my goal by typing my weight and height into a 'ideal weight' calculator that I found on google, it also meant i'd have a health BMI so I set my goal at 160ibs. Now i'm on RTM i'm still a few pounds off that goal, but I feel great. At the end of the day BMI/weights etc. are all just numbers, go by how you feel :)
xxxx

Thanks, guys. Probably premature of me to be worrying about my goal right now anyway, but I'm abitofaworrier!!

Hi Spangly,

Im struggling on what weight i should go for, they say my BMI should be 10st 4lb for "healthy" and i did think 9st 8lbs but im wondering if that would be too much to ask of my body and if ive set too bigger goal.

Back