Diary of a little auk

Bit slow in updating my diary the past few days, I'm going to weigh in tomorrow to see where I'm at.

Tonight has been my first time in ages making home-made curry sauce and I managed to make it so damn hot it was hard to eat. Wound up having to have a big glass of milk with it and I fear for my poor bahooky tomorrow.

Wednesday

Breakfast

Handful of mixed nuts and raisins

Lunch

Nectarine
Peach

Tea
Tagliatelle arrabiata with parmasan

Snacks
Granola with whole milk (was weirdly hungry at night)
Orange juice
Packet of crisps

Week 2 Day 3
Fruit and veg portions: 15 of 35
Treats 2 of 6

Thursday

Breakfast

Handful of mixed nuts and raisins

Lunch

Nectarine
Peach
2 x cream crackers with spreading cheese

Tea
Home-made vegetable curry (red pepper, mushroom, sweetcorn, carrot, cauliflower, broccoli & peas) with brown rice

Snacks
Orange juice

Exercise
46 lengths in the pool

Week 2 Day 4
Fruit and veg portions: 20 of 35
Treats 2 of 6

Sauce recipe
2 x onions roughly chopped
1 tomato roughly chopped
chilli infused olive oil
2 x chillies
2 x cloves garlic
squirt of tomato puree
ground corriander
cumin seed
turmeric

Leave it all to simmer in a pan and then blend to suit (some folk prefer it chunky others like it smooth).

We've had a new bridge over the river forth open very close to my workplace. At the moment the novelty is still there and people are still taking time out of their day to drive over it (at rush-hour) so it's been taking me longer to get home at night and with our home zoo there's always animals to attend to.

The Queen comes to open the bridge officially on Monday so I'm hoping to get away sharpish and avoid all the fanfare. On Tuesday we're taking all the kids from our school to walk across it so it'll be shut then as well. Now we have three bridges all in a row and it does make for a nice view as I come to work in the morning so I stopped for a photo on Tuesday.
bridges_1.jpg

Breakfast
2 x handfuls of mixed nuts and raisins

Lunch

Lunch salad
Peach

Tea
Scampi, chips, broccoli, carrot peas & sweetcorn
150ml orange juice

Snacks
Nectarine

Exercise
35min swim (60 lengths)

Week 2 Day 2
Fruit and veg portions: 11 of 35
Treats 1 of 6

Shattered today and starting to think that maybe 40 lengths in the morning along with some porpoising (aka "faffin' aboot") might be a better bet for me if I'm going to be swimming 5-6 times a week.

I need to go clothes shopping at the weekend as my school trousers are getting way too loose which I'm assuming is a good sign.
I wish my school trousers were loose!

I'm apparently at 176lb bang on and think I started off at 184lb when I started my diary a month or so ago. Considering this is only week 2 of my treat-limiting, fruit and veg scoffing plan Im quite happy with that.

Breakfast
Banana
3 x cream crackers with spreading cheese

Lunch

Roll on veggie hotdogs

Tea
Tagliatelle arrabiata with parmasan

Snacks
Raw carrot
Tinned pineapple
Wee french fancy

Exercise
60 lengths in the pool

Week 2 Day 5
Fruit and veg portions: 24 of 35
Treats 3 of 6

Your photo looks lovely! Is that the beach?

whenever I make homemade curries I always make them really spicy, as I do love spicy food xx

It's actually a farmers field, there are places where you can get down to the rivers edge but were we are there's very little in the way of sandy beaches.

I've been feeling really hungry today which isn't good, bought a dreaded bag of multi-bag crisps as well so two have been removed for consumption tonight and I have one treat left for tomorrow.

Tomorrow is going to be hard as we're doing one of our trips to the Doncaster reptile show, a round trip of 500 miles. Normally this would involve service station Burger king/McDonalds stops but we've tried to be more organised this time and have purchased salads, fruit and bread rolls to reduce the need for buying rubbish.

Breakfast
Granola with almond milk
Orange juice

Lunch

Roll on boiled egg with a tomato

Tea
Baked potato with beans and cheddar cheese

Snacks
Raw carrot
Portion of vegetable curry
2 x bags of crisps

Week 2 Day 6
Fruit and veg portions: 29 of 35
Treats 5 of 6

Last edited:
Hope tomorrow goes to plan! Out of curiosity what would you get from Burger King/McDonalds? I really don't like veggie burgers xx

Well the last time we went on one of our Doncaster trips I wasn't a veggie so I had a burger and chips, I've no idea what I'd get now as I'm not a huge fan of their veggie stuff so they're probably best avoided.

Breakfast
Roll on spreading cheese with tomato
Orange juice

Lunch

Lunch salad (with tomato, olives and feta cheese)

Tea
Chinese take away (king prawns in sweet and sour with chips) :(

Snacks
Banana
Raw carrot
3 x handfuls of almonds

Week 2 Day 7
Fruit and veg portions: 34 of 35
Treats 6 of 6

So I have gone against my "one take-away per fortnight rule" but we made a wrong turn on the way back from Doncaster and when we got in realised we'd forgotten to switch on our slow cooker so tomorrows dinner will be a VERY slow-cooked chilli. I did count the chips as my last treat and didn't eat any of the crisps and chocolate we took with us for the car ride. Was only 1 portion off my fruit and veg intake for the week and swam 220 lengths (nearly 3 miles).

I really need to find some better veg-based snacks, raw carrots are getting a bit old.

Breakfast

Lunch

orange

Tea
vegetable curry with basmati rice * broccoli, cauliflower, peas, mushrooms, carrot and red pepper

Snacks
dried mango
mint chocolate bar
Paleo macadamia/coconut bar

Exercise
60 lengths (somehow ended up in the pool 10mins before everyone else so luckily didn't get caught *we're only allowed to use the pool if there's at least two of us in there at the time).

Week 3 Day 1
Fruit and veg portions: 4 of 35
Treats 1 of 6

Might be pushing it upping the vegetable curry to be two portions of fruit and veg but I was very disorganised today and didn't buy anything for lunches this week, I had one orange left over from last week so had that with lunch.

I've been to Aldi and stocked up on fruit and salad, tomorrow we're doing our walk across the new Queensferry bridge so I'll need to remember to bring my phone to take photos.

Breakfast
Paleo macadamia/coconut bar
Apple

Lunch

Half portion of vegetable curry with basmati rice * broccoli, cauliflower, peas, mushrooms, carrot and red pepper
Peach

Tea
Vegetarian chilli with vegan cheese

Snacks
Banana
Raw carrot
2 x crispbread (one with a very thin spread of jam)

Exercise
60 lengths

Week 3 Day 2
Fruit and veg portions: 10 of 35
Treats 1 of 6

I've actually had a vegan day without meaning to but I found some vegan cheese in Tesco so decided to give it a try. Normally I'd have chilli with tacos or nachos but felt I'd had my carb fix at lunch with a small portion of basmati rice. Reckon if I was being cheeky I could count that veggie chilli as two portions of fruit and veg as it was made with mostly beans, tomatoes and onion with a tiny bit of veggie mince added.

We also did our walk across the new bridge near our high school, it wasn't easy to mobilise our 800 kids but we did it and everyone seemed to have a nice time with many selfies taken.

Wednesday was a bad day, too many bags of crisps lying around the house so I'm just going to forgo my treats for the week.

Breakfast
2 x apples
Banana

Lunch

Orange
Peach
3 x cream crackers with thin spreading of jam

Tea
Scampi with chips carrots and peas

Snacks
crisps

Week 3 Day 3
Fruit and veg portions: 16 of 35
Treats 6 of 6

Thursday

Breakfast
Banana

Lunch

2 x rolls on boiled egg and tomato

Tea
Stir-fried Chinese vegetables with chilli sauce

Snacks
small packet of dried mango

Week 3 Day 4
Fruit and veg portions: 21 of 35
Treats 6 of 6

No pool today as I was on a training course but will be back in tomorrow. might even have a go at the weight machines before I go in.

Last edited:
Breakfast
Paleo bar (coconut and macadamia nut)
Apple

Lunch

Lunch salad
Peach

Tea
2 x large slices of veg pizza

Snacks
Easy peeler x 2
Bakewell tart

Exercise
60 lengths in the pool
3 mile walk

Week 3 Day 5
Fruit and veg portions: 26 of 35
Treats 7 of 6

Breakfast
Slice of olive bread

Lunch

Roll on egg mayonaise

Tea
3 course meal - minestrone soup, vegetable risotto, an ice cream sundae which I shared with Stewart and a couple of bites of birthday cake

Snacks
Easy peeler x 2
Banana

Exercise
80 lengths in the pool

Week 3 Day 6
Fruit and veg portions: 29 of 35
Treats 7 of 6

We went out for a meal tonight with some of the family as it was my grandma's 80th birthday so as that doesn't happen every day I maybe went overboard a bit.

Success! My mum was throwing out some size 16 trousers which she'd bought but never worn so I baggsied them and they fit. And when I say they fit I mean they do actually fit comfortably and I don't have to lie flat on the bed or get someone to sit on me or anything to zip them up.

Today was going well til tea time, I decided to have a baked potato with coleslaw but forgot how badly Tesco finest coleslaw fills me up. I've been feeling like a big fat puddin' all night even though I had tea early and haven't eaten since.

Breakfast
Banana

Lunch
Roll on tomato
200ml Fruit smoothie

Tea
Baked potato with cheese and full fat coleslaw (it was reduced to 39p)

Snacks
30g feta cheese
2 x wee plums (lol)
Pear

Week 3 day 7
fruit & veg portions: 34 of 35
treats: 7 of 6

Last edited:
Breakfast
Banana
Apple

Lunch
2 x cream crackers with a little raspberry jam
Peach

Tea
Vegetable curry with brown rice

Snacks
Pear
Macadamia nut and dried cranberry snack pot

Exercise
54 lengths

Week 4 day 1
fruit & veg portions: 7 of 35
treats: 0 of 6

Stewart suggested we go out and buy a pile of crisps, I gave the dogs some cow hoofs stuffed with tripe and the smell is giving us both the dry boak.

Wow, look at that swimming! Was a bit confused about your 35 portions of fruit and veg, until I looked back to page 2 and realised that was per week :D

I think I'd struggle to get 35 portions of fruit and veg in a day. :D Had to get my mum to take my new trousers a bit as they were a bit long but it'll be nice to go to work wearing clothes that fit a bit better tomorrow.

I feel as if I've torn a muscle in the back of my leg so tried to get a fair bit of protein into my dinner.

Breakfast
Banana

Lunch
Lunch salad with 30g Tesco finest coleslaw
Pear

Tea
2 x fried eggs, potato wedges,baked beans and grilled mushrooms

Snacks
Apple
Easy peeler
Alpro soy dessert yogurt type thing

Exercise