Diary of a little auk

Today has been a pretty good day and I've come up with some rules for myself...

• No more than 6 treats* per week
  • 35 portions of fruit and veg per week without fail
  • No more than one portion of chips with a main meal per week
  • Weigh in at the end of the month
  • No sauces from jars, home-made all the way
  • No more than 4 cream crackers at work per day
  • No more than 1 take away meal every fortnight

*treat - packet of crisps, chocolate bar, small portion of ice cream, small cake, small portion of chips

Breakfast
Apple and pear bar
Nectarine

Lunch
Half a bag of salad, 1 tomato, 30g salad cheese
4 x cream crackers with soft cheese

Tea
Breaded haddock with chips and peas

Snacks
Raw carrot

Exercise
35min swim (60 lengths)

Week 1
Fruit and veg portions: 6/35
Treats 1/6

Last edited:
One of my favorite meals is baked tattie with cheese and haggis (God I miss haggis). If I didn't have tonights meal planned already I'd be eating that. Must get a hold of some veggie haggis to have that tomorrow.

Last edited:
I can never understand why so many people dislike haggis or say yuk when it's mentioned .. I have tried it on one occasion and thought it was quite okay .. not something I would like every day but quite palatable .. I'm not a big meat eater at the best of times anyway.
Hooray for the haggis :wee:

I don't understand it either Emmaline, haggis is the baws.

Today's been very good by my standards I think. Managed to resist the cream crackers at work and have saved having any treats.

Breakfast
Apple and pear bar
Nectarine

Lunch
Half a bag of salad, 1 tomato, 30g salad cheese, 10-15 green olives
peach

Tea
tagliatelle arrabbiata with parmasan

Snacks
Raw carrot

Exercise
35min swim (60 lengths)

Week 1 Day 2
Fruit and veg portions: 13/35
Treats 1/6

Wow! Serious amount of veg today :)
I love olives. And I always forget about them. They're going on my next shopping list

No pool today as it gets cleaned on a Wednesday morning but I managed to survive a visit to my mum and dads without taking the offered unhealthy snacks.

Breakfast
Apple and pear bar

Lunch
Half a bag of salad, 1 tomato, 30g salad cheese, 10-15 green olives (henceforth referred to as lunch salad)
peach

Tea
1/2 can baked beans
2 x dry fried eggs
2 x small slices of toast

Snacks
Raw carrot
Nectarine
2 x sticks of vegan "cheese"

Week 1 Day 3
Fruit and veg portions: 20/35
Treats 1/6

I might have to give in and have a treat tomorrow, I would prefer to save my treats for the weekend but 4 should get me through Saturday and Sunday.

My day started off pretty badly, first off I was chopping meat for my dogs breakfast after having to do the heimlich manoeuvre on one of them the night before. We feed our dogs on raw meat and bone and wee old Jake didn't chew a big lump of beef properly. I got to do the abdominal thrusts while Stewart stuck his fingers down Jake's throat. Luckily he hurled it back up (literally) and after we cut it up with some kitchen scissors he happily scoffed it again. Anyone that's thinking of snacking while reading this diary will probably not fancy doing so now (you're welcome).

So anyway I was chopping up meat while forgetting we had bought new kitchen knifes at the weekend (they're a lot sharper than my old ones) and I sliced the tip off my thumb, managed to strap it up and headed out to go to school only to find one of my front tyres was completely flat.

Stewart to the rescue and I got to borrow his car while he cycled to work but I arrived late to the pool and only managed 50 lengths. Despite having my thumb strapped up it started gushing again when I got out the pool and I had to go to the chemist for some paper stitches. In the chaos of the morning I also forgot to pack a lunch.

On a better note I really need to get some new trousers as my size 18s are starting to get really loose. When I was looking for a top for work this morning I came across one that my mum picked up for me that was £2 new but it was a size 12 so it was put at the back of the wardrobe. I tried it on out of curiosity more than anything else and it fits perfectly yet I have another size 16 top from Debenhams that I still feel is too clingy. Later on tonight though Stewart commented on how there was definitely less of me so that was nice.

Breakfast
Apple and pear bar

Lunch
peach
nectarine
3 x cream crackers and soft cheese

Tea
tagliatelle arrabbiata with and cheddar

Snacks
mint chocolate bar
raw carrot

Week 1 Day 3
Fruit and veg portions: 25/35
Treats 2/6

Exercise
swim 50 lengths

Will hopefully get my car sorted tomorrow and Stewart and me can get our swim pass renewed again so I might even go for a swim in the morning and in the evening. A week today is weigh in day after starting off at 184lb.

Breakfast
Apple and pear bar

Lunch
Lunch salad with 1 boiled egg
flat peach

Tea
take away vegetable curry with rice and nan

Snacks
1/2 mint chocolate bar

Exercise
swim 60 lengths

Week 1 Day 4
Fruit and veg portions: 29 of 35
Treats 3 of 6

I had good intentions of going for a swim in the evening as well as the morning today but I got home and was too sore. I completely forgot to take my pain killer before going to work this morning and suffered for it in the end. Our kids leave school at 1:05pm on a Friday and most of the time we have meetings in the afternoon. I have no idea what it is about whole school staff meetings that stresses me out but they do and as I have a chronic pain condition triggered by stress this is not a good combination.

By the time I got home after getting my tyre sorted I took my pain killer but as it's pure codeine it sent me straight to sleep. I've just woken up an hour or so ago so cleaned out and watered all my pet snakes and tarantulas which has taken me a wee while but at least the pain is pretty much gone. We decided just to order our fortnightly take away tonight as we have nothing much in the house and neither of us really wants to go out.

Work trouser shopping tomorrow which should be interesting.

Last edited:
Ouch for the thumb! .. very squeamish me!
Thursday wasn't a very good day apart from being able to get into a smaller size top.
The bit about stress had me intrigued .. school staff meetings versus snakes and tarantulas! :eek:.. give me staff meetings any time :D
I always carry some of my tablets with me just in case .. but obviously if yours affect you like that there's no point in doing that.. glad that you got some relief.

I don't understand it either Emmaline, haggis is the baws.

Today's been very good by my standards I think. Managed to resist the cream crackers at work and have saved having any treats.

Breakfast
Apple and pear bar
Nectarine

Lunch
Half a bag of salad, 1 tomato, 30g salad cheese, 10-15 green olives
peach

Tea
tagliatelle arrabbiata with parmasan

Snacks
Raw carrot

Exercise
35min swim (60 lengths)

Week 1 Day 2
Fruit and veg portions: 13/35
Treats 1/6

That looks incredibly healthy, 60 lengths is a load of swimming, id be dead!. Arent you starving when you get out the pool? :)

Emmaline my family and friends all think Im mad but they dont complain when they get to bring their kids for a free day out. Pretty much all of the snakes spiders and lizards are quite docile and happy enough to be handled (though I dont handle the tarantulas much).

trw Sometimes I am quite hungry when I get out the pool in the mornings, I'm going to need to see if I can figure out something a bit better to have for breakfast as the apple and pear bars are a bit sweet. Maybe some mixed nuts and dried fruit might be an idea as I'm trying to cut back on animal products a bit.

our school pool is only 20m so 60 lengths is around 3/4 of a mile. If I go to our local pool tomorrow and do 48 lengths (it's a 25m pool) then I'll have swam just over 3.5 miles this week which I think is pretty good. I've just bought two more swimsuits so I have 4 in total as swimming is about the only type of exercise I really enjoy.

Last edited:
Emmaline my family and friends all think Im mad but they dont complain when they get to bring their kids for a free day out. Pretty much all of the snakes spiders and lizards are quite docile and happy enough to be handled (though I dont handle the tarantulas much).

trw Sometimes I am quite hungry when I get out the pool in the mornings, I'm going to need to see if I can figure out something a bit better to have for breakfast as the apple and pear bars are a bit sweet. Maybe some mixed nuts and dried fruit might be an idea as I'm trying to cut back on animal products a bit.

our school pool is only 20m so 60 lengths is around 3/4 of a mile. If I go to our local pool tomorrow and do 48 lengths (it's a 25m pool) then I'll have swam just over 3.5 miles this week which I think is pretty good. I've just bought two more swimsuits so I have 4 in total as swimming is about the only type of exercise I really enjoy.

Yesterday i had already had my allowed calories for work time, but was still hungry, i bought a 'sharing salad' basically 400g (huge tub designed for 3 people) of mixed peppers, lettuce, tomatoes etc....

It filled me up and was only 100 calories

Nuts and dried fruit are great, but i am always aware they are very calorie dense (especially the nuts)

Aye nuts would be quite high in calories but if I stuck to just a wee handful and was only really eating salad and fruit until tea time they might not be too bad. I'm not calorie counting in any case (just trying to eat "better") so I'm not sure. Scrambled egg and toast might be another option.

Aye nuts would be quite high in calories but if I stuck to just a wee handful and was only really eating salad and fruit until tea time they might not be too bad. I'm not calorie counting in any case (just trying to eat "better") so I'm not sure. Scrambled egg and toast might be another option.

I found that 100g Brazil nuts have only 12g carbs and I don't know whether anyone can eat that many in one go .. personally 40g is enough for me and that would be just 1 carb.. the only one to be careful with is cashews that are 16.8 per 100g which I could easily down in less than a minute :D and that's the big problem .. they're so yummy.
Scrambled eggs are a good choice but what about the bread? .. some of those can be quite high too .. I have found one .. Hovis lower carb seeded bread .. which is 9.9carbs per 36g slice.. that's if you like seeded bread. I have to watch the carbs like a hawk as I know they are what make me put on weight.
I agree heartily with you about the health bar as most of them are far too sweet .. I keep trying to find some that don't have so much sugar in them.
Anyway you are doing really well so keep up the good work.

Today hasn't been a great food or exercise day but hey... it's the weekend. I'm also eating a lot less overall but sadly didn't get any clothes shopping done like I'd hoped. Maybe I'll wait til my weigh in day and do so then.

Lunch
Tuna melt panini

Tea
left over take away vegetable curry with rice

Snacks
1/2 mint chocolate bar
Flat peach

Exercise
a little walking

Week 1 Day 5
Fruit and veg portions: 30 of 35
Treats 4 of 6

Today hasn't been a great day, a couple of weeks ago I was prescribed a new medication by my GP and every time I take it it makes me feel sick. I've tried to take it a few times in the hope it'll help and I'll get used to it and today was one of those days. Before it kicked in properly I managed to do a food shop at Aldi but felt awful when I arrived home and had to cancel plans to go swimming and visit my MIL. I've not wanted to eat much today as a result so hopefully tomorrow I'll feel a bit better.

Lunch

Granola with almond milk

Tea
Banana

Snacks
Nectarine
Handful mixed nuts/raisins

Snacks
Raw carrot

Week 1 Day 6
Fruit and veg portions: 34 of 35
Treats 4 of 6

I'm one portion off of getting my 35 fruit and veg portions a week but I really can't face eating any more today

Today's been quite odd, I'm still feeling a bit ill after yesterday and struggled in the pool this morning after not getting much sleep.

Breakfast
Handful of mixed nuts and raisins

Lunch

Peach

Tea
2 x slices of cheese and tomato pizza
150ml orange juice

Snacks
Banana
Raw carrot

Exercise
35min swim (60 lengths)

Week 2 Day 1
Fruit and veg portions: 4 of 35
Treats 0 of 6

Last edited:
Breakfast
2 x handfuls of mixed nuts and raisins

Lunch

Lunch salad
Peach

Tea
Scampi, chips, broccoli, carrot peas & sweetcorn
150ml orange juice

Snacks
Nectarine

Exercise
35min swim (60 lengths)

Week 2 Day 2
Fruit and veg portions: 11 of 35
Treats 1 of 6

Shattered today and starting to think that maybe 40 lengths in the morning along with some porpoising (aka "faffin' aboot") might be a better bet for me if I'm going to be swimming 5-6 times a week.

I need to go clothes shopping at the weekend as my school trousers are getting way too loose which I'm assuming is a good sign.

Last edited:
Back