Diary of a Newbie - I need your help!

ouch thats a long time to keep getting them i would be getting really annoyed, i get it occasionally now but not too often. . i just ring the docs at the 1st symptom, practise nurse asked me last time why i didnt try off the shelf medicine. . . i explained, i didnt want to waste three days of it getting worse and and feeling uncomfy when i know what it is and i know anti bio will sort it quicker and the times ive tried off the shelf its done absolutly sod all lol !

Nope lol !! i did when i 1st got it bout three years ago, but since i moved in with o/h i havent, coz when i get home he's already home so i either have to leave him sat on his own to do it or do it front of him .. . then he joins in a whips me at everything so i dont do that any more lol! yeah my o.h has both, although the xbox is a bit tempremental these days so id rather buy a game for the console i know will work lol ! i might try and get him to get it for me when pay day comes round lol!

Yeah its strange tho you get passed it, once you start running you realise any one who sees you has no idea how far you've run so doesnt matter how unfit, i also try doing it just round the streets we live so its never one long strech of road just loads of short roads, it is amazing how quick you get better tho, like i said two / three weeks of every other morning (nobody around to see you then lol) and i was doing 5/6km with no stops, not sprinting it but no stops and you do feel so much more motivated for it, i found when i was doing it i was waay more inclinded to go to the gym as well, the days i ran i also WANTED - weird huh! to go to the gym.

I dont know really yet, when i was running i wasnt on the plan and i havent managed to loose anything on plan so far, but i dont think ive been eating enough veggies which is the problem apparantly but hopefully, will be able to tell you in a few weeks :)

Yeah i do that everytime i get a chance to use them i end up either having a shot at his latest game or using i player lol !x

Hi Claire,

I started slimming world around 5 months ago, and to be honest - I did not do any extra exercise at all to begin with, yet I still lost weight. I averaged around 2lbs a week to begin with (5lbs on my first week, but this was probably water weight). However, I have noticed the difference since I have been doing some form of exercise, not just in terms of weight loss - but toning up and muscle definition too.

I too am a complete exercise phobe, so my exercise routine consists of nothing cardio-centred, I could think of nothing worse than getting all red and sweaty! I sometimes do an hour or so on the wii fit, or a couple of set squats and lunges, sit ups etc before bed, or simply walk faster on the way to the bus stop. Even just walking to the shop instead of driving!

I hope this helps,

Charlie x

Well I've just been and picked up my latest antibiotics - the list of side effects sounds vile and I can't drive while on them! They've signed me off work until Monday but as I drive as part of my job (I'm a stroke co-ordinator and do home visits to stroke patients) I can't actually see how I can go back to work until I finish the tablets next Wed! :sigh:

Have to eat each time I take them and I have 5 a day so might have to have a rethink on what I eat when over the next week, don't want to be eating for the sake of it.

Haha, Cupcake sounds like we have very similar men - into their gaming and boys toys! I love having all the gadgets around the house but am totally useless at games that require any level of skill. I think that's why I like kinect - it's just fun to do!

Well however easy you make running sound (and you do make it sound pretty appealing) I don't think I'm quite at that stage yet! :) I might be all up for it once I'm an 8 stone goddess (hahahahaha) but for now it will be wii fit and some sit ups. My o/h has offered to take me to play squash and I'm quite up for that although obviously all this talk of exercise is for when i've stopped being so pathetically ill and can do anything without wanting to sleep and cry!

I must point out at this stage that I am not actually as whiney in real life as I appear to be, I just happen to have joined the forum at a bad time!

I'm sorry you haven't lost on the plan yet. Guess that makes sense about veg - I made a spicy mixed bean casseroley thing at the weekend which has been great - mainly superfree foods in there, lots of onion, carrots, garlic, celery aubergine, butternut squash and mushrooms and then I chucked a tin of mixed beans, some stock and some chilli flakes in. I think it was a recipe in one of the books (last months mag possibly) which I just adapted with what was in my fridge. Is nice in a bowl like a soup on it's own or with bacon and pasta. mmm.

The other thing I do for veg is just chuck whatever veg I have with some passata (or hand blended tinned tomatoes as I'm sure it's the same thing!) and loads of chilli (bit of a chilli fan) to have with pasta or on a potato or just with salad. Dead nice with your HExA of cheese.

You may have tried those but they're two things I love and fall back on all the time.

I'm def wondering if I'm not eating enough on the plan - have not been having all my syns and haven't been having all my HexA if I choose milk, so this week am going to make a conscious effort to have 10 syns a day every day and use my milk allowance up and see if that helps!

I know I moaned about my C on my very first post on here but I really do think she's useless! She seems to spend more time talking about her own weight loss (which doesn't seem to be going well) and lecturing people than actually being supportive. Am def finding questions get answered much more quickly and helpfully on here! x x

Hi Claire,

I started slimming world around 5 months ago, and to be honest - I did not do any extra exercise at all to begin with, yet I still lost weight. I averaged around 2lbs a week to begin with (5lbs on my first week, but this was probably water weight). However, I have noticed the difference since I have been doing some form of exercise, not just in terms of weight loss - but toning up and muscle definition too.

I too am a complete exercise phobe, so my exercise routine consists of nothing cardio-centred, I could think of nothing worse than getting all red and sweaty! I sometimes do an hour or so on the wii fit, or a couple of set squats and lunges, sit ups etc before bed, or simply walk faster on the way to the bus stop. Even just walking to the shop instead of driving!

I hope this helps,

Charlie x

Hi Charlie!

Thank you, that's really good to know. I think most of my unhappiness with my figure stems from not being toned and it's good to know you've managed it without getting too sweaty!

Wii fit is def my way forward then, I will get it out and dust it off :)

Sounds like you've done really well on the plan. Any good advice for someone just starting out like me? Top tips or things to avoid? Do you use all your syns? I'm having a real debate with myself over this - I feel that if I'm eating more then I won't be losing, but at the smae time I accept that the plan is there for a reason and I should stick to it! What are your thoughts?

Claire x x

Mmm both of those sound yummy am going to have to try them!!

Oh thats bummer bout the anti bio, maybe just have a yoghurt and a snack inbetween meals and you should be set :)

Haha yeah they do sound alike dont they lol! Yeah im rubbish but i end up watching him play so much i think i can do it aswell lol i cant i suck at them lol!

Whoo get me making running sound appealing i do really enjoy it after the first few times, im going tomo after work now o/h doesnt finish work till 6 and as were travelling in together im stuck till 6 so i might as well go for a run :).

You dont sound whiney, id be worse than you lol i get so grumpy when im ill lol.

Oooh squash sounds interesting, sounds like it would be good exercise as well from what i can tell.

Well im hoping i will loose this week, managed just salad's today nothing naughty so hopefully should get somewhere, more veggies, ill be turning into a guinea pig soon lol!

Haha no i know what you mean some councillors really dont "look" the part makes you not feel massivley confident lol! mine was lovely and really good, but just not a massivly good advert herself lol !xx

Hi Charlie!

Thank you, that's really good to know. I think most of my unhappiness with my figure stems from not being toned and it's good to know you've managed it without getting too sweaty!

Wii fit is def my way forward then, I will get it out and dust it off :)

Sounds like you've done really well on the plan. Any good advice for someone just starting out like me? Top tips or things to avoid? Do you use all your syns? I'm having a real debate with myself over this - I feel that if I'm eating more then I won't be losing, but at the smae time I accept that the plan is there for a reason and I should stick to it! What are your thoughts?

Claire x x

Hi again :)

When I first started the plan, I felt guilty every time I 'synned' and had as little as possible - and I barely lost any weight at all. I spoke to my friend who had been doing SW for a while and she gave me a good telling off! As soon as I started having the recommended allowance of syns, the weight was dropping off.

Most days I try and aim for 10 syns, and if I go over it's no big deal as I'm still in the range, but some days I have an extra choccie and go for the full 15. I've found that the multipack treat size cadbury bars are a lifesaver, and average around 3.5 syns a treat! :) I often save my syns and have 2/3 a night with a cuppa!

I've found the longer I've been on the plan, I've come to realise that it's not how much you eat, just what you eat. I no longer feel guilty if I have a big bowl of pasta (even when my skinny housemate looks at it in disgust!) or two fat free yogurts, as long as I keep my eye on my syns!

Hope this helps,

Charlie

cupcake87 said:
Mmm both of those sound yummy am going to have to try them!!

Oh thats bummer bout the anti bio, maybe just have a yoghurt and a snack inbetween meals and you should be set :)

Haha yeah they do sound alike dont they lol! Yeah im rubbish but i end up watching him play so much i think i can do it aswell lol i cant i suck at them lol!

Whoo get me making running sound appealing i do really enjoy it after the first few times, im going tomo after work now o/h doesnt finish work till 6 and as were travelling in together im stuck till 6 so i might as well go for a run :).

You dont sound whiney, id be worse than you lol i get so grumpy when im ill lol.

Oooh squash sounds interesting, sounds like it would be good exercise as well from what i can tell.

Well im hoping i will loose this week, managed just salad's today nothing naughty so hopefully should get somewhere, more veggies, ill be turning into a guinea pig soon lol!

Haha no i know what you mean some councillors really dont "look" the part makes you not feel massivley confident lol! mine was lovely and really good, but just not a massivly good advert herself lol !xx

They are good, I find it's hard trying to think of ways to eat the stuff you should but with some variety. I'm trying very hard not to eat the same old thing everyday! Going for a veg omelette today for lunch, lots of mushrooms peppers and my cheese from my hexa - I'm such a cheese fiend, that's my major downfall so am trying not to have it everyday. Is there anything you have a real thing for that you find hard to leave alone?

My o/h 'liked' a pic of me on facebook this morning that someone had posted on my wall, it was from when I first met him 3 years ago and I was just around 10 stone - looking at the pic I do look really different at it's def motivated me more - that stone and a half feels so little as you put it on but it does make a massive difference when you look back. Def given me a little boost this morning, especially as he says he doesn't mind my weight change.

I hope your run is good tonight, the weather here doesn't look very appealing for running so I hope its better where you are! Yeah squash is supposed to be good, o/h is really sporty and plays a lot so he should be a good teacher if he can stay patient with me! :)

I really hope you lose, lots of salads is good - although I'd be starving. I always need a bit if cous cous or something with mine!!

Lol, my c def doesn't 'look the part' but I don't think I'd mind if she was good - I heard one lady say to her 'I don't know why I've put on, I've followed the plan?' and she said 'just forget about it and think positive next week'. Now obv I havent had the sw training but I'm not convinced that thinking positive is all there is to it!!! x x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

charliemm said:
Hi again :)

When I first started the plan, I felt guilty every time I 'synned' and had as little as possible - and I barely lost any weight at all. I spoke to my friend who had been doing SW for a while and she gave me a good telling off! As soon as I started having the recommended allowance of syns, the weight was dropping off.

Most days I try and aim for 10 syns, and if I go over it's no big deal as I'm still in the range, but some days I have an extra choccie and go for the full 15. I've found that the multipack treat size cadbury bars are a lifesaver, and average around 3.5 syns a treat! :) I often save my syns and have 2/3 a night with a cuppa!

I've found the longer I've been on the plan, I've come to realise that it's not how much you eat, just what you eat. I no longer feel guilty if I have a big bowl of pasta (even when my skinny housemate looks at it in disgust!) or two fat free yogurts, as long as I keep my eye on my syns!

Hope this helps,

Charlie

That's really helpful, thank you. I have definitely been being abit 'careful' with my syns but I will make sure I have my 10 a day this week and see if it helps. Think it is changing that mentality from watching how much you're eating to just knowing you're eating healthy choices.

I will definitely take your advice, thank you. And the cadburys bars sound fantastic - I'll be getting some of them for my chocolate fix!

Definitely know what you mean about the amount you eat though compared to what you eat - on my second day on the plan I had a big plate of veg pasta sauce and pasta and my skinny co-worker kept saying 'I can't believe you're going to eat all that' then ate a sausage roll, cheese sandwich and a pack of crisps! Them mid afternoon she had a cake. I know she doesn't need to watch what she's eating but it wound me up that she would judge me on portion size when she was eating about ten times more calories! Lol, rant over :)

x x x

Haha no i think there needs to be something more than thinking positive too.

Haha yeah i am reaaaally hoping the weather brightens up its horrid here!

Yeahi find that allways gives me a bit more incentive too ive taken to carrying round a pic from when i was a size 8 as incentive. . . i know i wont get to that again but it makes me think twice lol!

Salads do tend to fill me up, i did think about doing rice or pasta with it tho just to give me something extra but i think ill see.

Haha my main downfall is bread and butter . . . i absolutly love it i have to make sure we have wholemeal in all the time or i devour it within a few days, that and peanut butter, ive allways got a spoon shoved in the jar lol !

ooh omlette sounds yummy, i hadn't thought about making one in a while. . might do scrambled eggs for tea if the super speed soup i made last night isnt any good (havent tried it yet but i wish id brought some for lunch after seeing this weather!!!) mm im hungry now lol ! might have to go get a fruit salad so i dont eat my lunch before lunch time ( i end up having two lunches when i do that!)

How are the tablets treating you feeling better?
x

Feeling so much worse today but hoping that's a good sign? That maybe the antibiotics are kicking in or something, all
I've done is sleep!! Got a banging headache too so to be honest I'm feeling very sorry for myself!

I hope you got to do your run and enjoy it? I've just discovered that the no added sugar high juice I drink has syns! Gutted! I'll have to cut that right out!

Can relate to your peanut butter thing, mine is nutella. I've had to ban it from the house coz it's just not possible to only have one spoonful! x x

Hi Claire
I am really lucky as our group is great and very welcoming. The leader of our group doesn't waste time doing the how much did you lose thing, she whizzes thru that and does one round of applause at the end (which is still very Little Britain!). She spends the image therapy time mostly talking about food/challenges/ideas/recipes which is brill. I travel a lot and have been to other groups and some are SO dull, boring and some downright unfriendly. I agree, try another group till you find people and a leader you like. Its worth it to get the support you need. Good luck x

Hahaha i have to admit Nutella just isnt allowed, the one time we had it i kept eating it all and having to secretly replace it so the o/h didnt know lol, i think he thought it was one jar when it was actually 3 or 4 lol oops!!

No way i had some no added sugar stuff last night and just assumed it was ok?! crap that sucks!

Yeah antibiotics allways make you feel crappy, but hopefully there killing all the nasty stuff to make you feel better.

Run was good, easier than i thought after 5 months of not doing it so quite happy, stupidly decided though when i got hom from it to put the wii on and do some boxing, wii fit was outta batt but i just used wii sports and managed to reaaallly pull a muscle in my arm. . . didnt feel quite so good after that lol !

Hope you feel better soon x

Oh no!! I pulled a muscle in my arm last time I did the boxing! Think I got a bit over enthusiastic! Poor you! Well done on the run though, I am massively impressed!

It's worth checking the food directory for squash (actually been meaning to thank you, I bought the food directory Monday after you mentioned it and it's amazing!!) I got o/h to buy some robinsons as that's fine but the asda high juice is not so good!
I usually drink water but am having to drink 4 litres a day at the mo so really need some variety!

Haha, love your nutella story! Thankfully my o/h hates it, he just buys it as a treat for me. I have been known to eat it out of the middle an try and leave more round the edges though so it doesn't look like I've been sat with a spoon and a tub!

Feeling a lot better this morning, very tired (but the antibiotics do cause drowsiness) but in much less pain so hopefully I'm on the mend. Yay!

Have got a friend coming over tonight for dinner as I haven't seen anyone for a couple of weeks and she said she'd come over and cook for me and keep me company as o/h is working til 10pm tonight. Iv just said we'll have jacket potatoes and salad though which is such a cop out but I just don't want her to come and cook me a lovely meal and then me go off plan!

Do you find eating out hard on sw? We've got tickets to a comedy show sat night if I'm feeling better and we're going for dinner first, but I think it's quite tough to stick to plan when you're out. Any bright ideas? We'd originally planned pizza express but even their legarra ww pizzas are 12.5 syns for half a pizza!! And I have never been known to eat 1/2 a pizza, especially one with a hole in the middle! I'd be starving!

Hope you're having a good day x x

Ahhh its good your starting to feel better! wow 4 litres i think id need more than just water too, i normally switch to fizzy water lol ! I find it hard to drink 2 ltrs a day (im terrible i never drink if i dont remind myself lol )

Jacket spuds isnt a cop out, and if you've not been feeling well you can allways say that thats all you fancy and you havent got much of an appetite and jacket spuds can be quite indulgent if you put the right stuff with it lol !

Plus gives you more time to catch up while there cooking rather than it being a lot of effort lol!

Umm ive only done it once or twice we hit the cinema, and did pizza hut, and i cant rememvber where i found it i think it was the food directory but their lasange wasn't a bad choice, and i think possibly pizza express would have some ok pasta or salad dishe's if you could bear it?! or i thnk this is allowed. . .i try not to use ALL my syns each day and by the end of the week i normally end up with a bulk load so i use them up one thing and if i go over am a bit careful for the rest of the week maybe which would give you more wiggle room?

Food directory is a god send isnt it! mines thumbed through so much ive even highlighted bits lol !

xx

Hope you're having a good weekend cupcake!

Ive slept for most of it but we did go out to a comedy club last night which was brilliant, had a great night but came out a lot later than expected and had kfc on the way home - oops!! I didn't even make a sensible choice, I was so hungry! I had a zinger burger and ate half a portion of chops plus corn and baked beans (which I know are free but it still made it a very piggy meal!) I reckon I had 30 syns. Oh dear!

Never mind, at least if I Sts this week I will know exactly why!

Don't feel very hungry today so I might just have to not eat much and hope I balance it out in some way!

Really wanted to go back to work tomorrow but don't think I'm well enough still, getting very bored of daytime tv now!

Hope your diet is going better than mine this weekend :). x x

That's really helpful, thank you. I have definitely been being abit 'careful' with my syns but I will make sure I have my 10 a day this week and see if it helps. Think it is changing that mentality from watching how much you're eating to just knowing you're eating healthy choices.

I will definitely take your advice, thank you. And the cadburys bars sound fantastic - I'll be getting some of them for my chocolate fix!

Definitely know what you mean about the amount you eat though compared to what you eat - on my second day on the plan I had a big plate of veg pasta sauce and pasta and my skinny co-worker kept saying 'I can't believe you're going to eat all that' then ate a sausage roll, cheese sandwich and a pack of crisps! Them mid afternoon she had a cake. I know she doesn't need to watch what she's eating but it wound me up that she would judge me on portion size when she was eating about ten times more calories! Lol, rant over :)

x x x

It has always affected me when my skinnier friends comment on my portion sizes. Even now my flatmate can see I'm losing weight despite eating more than she does, but still comments. Today she couldn't believe I was hungry at 4pm, even though I'd only had a bowl of noodles at 12. I wish people were a little more sensitive when commenting on others' food habits!

Charlie x x x

Food directory is a god send isnt it! mines thumbed through so much ive even highlighted bits lol !

xx

I totally agree! It is my bible, I take it shopping and use it to make shopping lists and recipes. I've only just, rather naively, realised that there are little 'HE' symbols next to foods that you can use as healthy extras, and got rather excited! I am looking into buying the book on low syn/syn free snacks - have you had any experience with this?

Charlie xx

Morning!! Did you make it into work Claire?

Im sure the KFC will balance out, you probably have a store of syns left over so i shouldnt worry about it too much ! My weekend wasnt what i would call sucessfull lol ! Had a bit of a blitz yesterday, ended up eating, double decker and two caramel bunnys and a coconut macarrony thing plus a choccy digestive, mini milk, 6 gian buttons, yorkshire pud, treacle suace, bread and butter:eek: so ahem not feeling particularly proud of myself. . i did resist, a macdonalds and usa chicken though and i did go for a run so im kind of hoping to some degree it balance some of it out * fingers crossed* anyway lol!

I also naughtily have put of weigh in day again. .. reaaalllyyy got to do it tomo ! x

I totally agree! It is my bible, I take it shopping and use it to make shopping lists and recipes. I've only just, rather naively, realised that there are little 'HE' symbols next to foods that you can use as healthy extras, and got rather excited! I am looking into buying the book on low syn/syn free snacks - have you had any experience with this?

Charlie xx

nooo i havent didnt even know there was one. . youl have to let us know how you get on with it. . . sounds like a good one! x

cupcake87 said:
Morning!! Did you make it into work Claire?

Im sure the KFC will balance out, you probably have a store of syns left over so i shouldnt worry about it too much ! My weekend wasnt what i would call sucessfull lol ! Had a bit of a blitz yesterday, ended up eating, double decker and two caramel bunnys and a coconut macarrony thing plus a choccy digestive, mini milk, 6 gian buttons, yorkshire pud, treacle suace, bread and butter:eek: so ahem not feeling particularly proud of myself. . i did resist, a macdonalds and usa chicken though and i did go for a run so im kind of hoping to some degree it balance some of it out * fingers crossed* anyway lol!

I also naughtily have put of weigh in day again. .. reaaalllyyy got to do it tomo ! x

Morning!

Still off, went to Dr's this morning and have been subscribed more antibiotics as the infection is still there. Also am not allowed to drive on these tablets and so have been given a sick note for another week :-(

Am pleased to not have to rush back to work as don't feel well enough and dont have the energy but just want to feel better!!

Don't worry about what you ate over the weekend, weekends are really tough and its the hardest time to stick to anything. I keep planning 100% weeks in my head but in reality that's so hard to do. Do you fancy having a pact to have 100% days this week until Friday and see how we go?

I hope I have lost this week but after the kfc who knows! I don't know if I'm going to WI tonight, depends if the o/h will take me down as I obv can't drive there myself!

Am starting to feel desperate to do some
Exercise but am so exhausted all the time - tried to Hoover on saturday but felt all dizzy and my mum had to do it - pathetic! Have been doing sit ups but not sure if they help when you're not doing anything else!

Totally agree that the food directory is a bible - I did an online asda shop yesterday as am not able to drive and it was amazing coz I could really take time to look through the book as I was buying things, would highly recommend doing it that way!

Hope you're having a good day and it's warmer where you are than here, I'm frozen today! x x

Back