Diary of losing my baby weight (now that my son is 5!)

I can totally agree with the garlic bread scenario, I love it to. It sounds a great idea writing down some goals, think it might be something I need to do as have not been on track much recently.

I can totally agree with the garlic bread scenario, I love it to. It sounds a great idea writing down some goals, think it might be something I need to do as have not been on track much recently.

I chickened out making the garlic bread in the end - hubby came home feeling cold and achey ( quite and acheivement when its 28 degrees!) and just wanted bovril on toast, so i just did a little bbq for me and the kids. I kinda figured doing a whole french stick as garlic bread for me, a 5 and a 6 year old might just be overdoing it. Hopefully hubby will be ok, his team is a couple of people down at the mo and he is trying to fill in the gaps single-handedly and its catching up with him. So the french stick lives on to see another day! - but there is always tomorrow....

Plus i had syns to have a skinny cow ice lolly - result!!!:D

Last edited:
I have to post on here cos, although it is monday morning here, I cannot log my weight on the sw website for another couple of hours, when it becomes monday there - its a pain sometimes, living in the future lol !!!

Anyway - here it is weight loss today of .....

4 1/2 lbs :happy036:

result !!!!!!

Has been all go today - hubby is off sick and has been in bed all day (demanding the odd slice of toast) The weather hasnt helped - we have had miniheatwave that is due to break today, so it is hot humid and windy, as if someone has left the hairdryer on. Also hubby reckons it is still cold in the mornings so we still have the heating coming on (in the mornings) - so cannot put the aircon on cause it runs through the same ducting - you can have it on heating or cooling, but cannot use them concurrently :( Am gonna switch the system over on 1st November, regardless!!! ;)

That was a really long paragraph where i should've just put 'its been hot today and we are waiting on a storm with no aircon', oh well, i clearly have too much time on my hands!!

1st we went to the gym for step class (i say 'we' but my youngest went to the creche, they have an hour's free childcare at 9am on weekdays - very handy

Home for a shower, then to playgroup - only 1 other mum there today, we had a crap toy clearout, it should inspire me to clear out my kids toys, mmm.... oneday...

Then my youngest had his first school orientation - I know i should have used the time for cleaning and a scrubbing or maybe some laundry, but instead i had a nice calm lunch (Steak sandwich and a salad) and sat and read my library book - all about Jack the Ripper - v interesting!!!, I only get out 1 book out at a time as dont get much time to read. Then had a catch up on minimins. And before i knew it, it was time to pick him up. He made a cool emu out of a paper plate and a polystyrene ball.

He starts school in January after the summer hols (everything is literally upside down here!) so i have been spending some time pondering what i should do once both kids are at school. I could just get a reception/office admin post or am thinking of going to college to do a book-keeping course, which i figure will be slightly better paid, and more likely that i can get something for just a couple of days a week. Plus i think that actually having a focus out side of just the house will do me good - and a bit of pin money will always come in handy.

Am gonna be sad when he starts school, but am secretly looking forward to being me again (oops here comes the guilt fairy for actually put that thought 'on paper')

Any hoo - back on topic!! Water has gone good today, have read alot about green tea so am thinking i will try and add a couple of cups per day, already had 1 at breakfast, as am missing the fruit juice in the morning.

Am gonna take 5 mins to plan my meals in a mo - its aldi trip tomorrow - didnt get there on sunday, went to visit a friend instead - got talked into going with 3 other girls to the races in the next town in 3 weeks time. Not sure that there will be much horse-racing, think it is just a jolly really! That gives me a goal to aim for anyway, hopefully can have 3 decent weight-losses between now and then. Am at 6 lb loss that the mo - would love to get to 14 lbs by then, but realistically 10 or even 12 lbs would be great ....

I am rambling i think, oh crap, and it's time to do teas - no rest for the wicked!!!

Congrats on your loss. It seems you found a way about things that suits you and that you can easily adapt if any changes occur.

Wow that is a lot of water, I couldn't do it hehe.
I find water so plain and boring. I add no added sugar squash to mine :D

No reason for feeling guilty when your children go off to school and you can be you. It is too easy to lose yourself when you become a wife/mum. Trust me I know. Took me 20 years to find myself lol.

But you might see that as you would sitting watching tv in the evening, that you said was your downfall. But you will be prepared. :)

You are doing great! :D

Congrats on your loss. It seems you found a way about things that suits you and that you can easily adapt if any changes occur.

Wow that is a lot of water, I couldn't do it hehe.
I find water so plain and boring. I add no added sugar squash to mine :D

No reason for feeling guilty when your children go off to school and you can be you. It is too easy to lose yourself when you become a wife/mum. Trust me I know. Took me 20 years to find myself lol.

But you might see that as you would sitting watching tv in the evening, that you said was your downfall. But you will be prepared. :)

You are doing great! :D

Thanks Amanda Jane

The water does sound like a lot, but i have 3 600ml bottle and try to drink 1 by about 3, the next one by the time the kids are in bed around 7/8 and the final one by bed time. I usually put nas squash in 1 of the bottles, to make it a little easier to go down (as you say, it is very dull without it!), but i dont really have anything else to drink other than the odd cup of tea - so the water has just replaced the pepsi max, as i use to have nothing much else to drink. When i think about it, that was sooo unhealthy!!!

I am a little worried about the time when both kids are at school becoming a danger time for me, my youngest goes to pre-school 2 days a week and it has been known for the old me to spend 9 - 3 just sat eating!!! However, i am forming a plan and it will not come to that!!! - I will not let it come to that!!

You're right, I will be prepared

(.... hopefully)

Today has been a good day considering i am so tired - hubby was up all night on the loo - the en-suite may be convenient for him, not so convenient for me!!! And halfway through the night I had to change our bedsheets - no not for that reason! - he was so hot and sweaty, the sheets had gotten soggy, still yuk, but not quite as bad as for any other reason. He went to work this morning with the help of some imodium.

So slept in this morning, still managed to get eldest on the bus and went to pump. Upped my weights a fraction, have not been achey since i went back to pump, so think i can push it a little - will see how well i can walk tomorrow !!!

So by 10.45 this morning was exercised, showered and ready for the rest of the day - my plans for aldi shopping went out the window, i want to go tomorrow instead, when the new catologue stuff comes out (sad-o that i am lol).

Also havent planned the menu for the week - bad me!! but can do that this evening (and get out of doing the ironing yay :) - need an ironing fairy!!)

So was just me and the boy - had some quality time playing with him, then let him loose on the laptop so i could finish my library book (yep put off the ironing yet again!). He did some really cool artwork.

Foodwise went well, even with OH bringing home pizza for tea (he reckons kill or cure - my money is on kill lol!). I am thinking of the races and stayed on track, even though it meant eating on my own.

Food for today: ee
B - Weetbix and milk both H ex's
snack yogurt and banana
L - Beans egg m'room tomato, chocolate mini roll (6 syns - I was gonna have a yogurt, but then i thought bugger it!! so long as i account for it, i can have it - so i did!!!. Have to say, it was nice, but didnt last very long!!)

T - Pork chop, wm pasta, carrot, broccolli and green beans and 21g rf cheese (3 syns)
dessert yogurt and an apple

Snack skinny cow ice lolly (4 1/2 syns) for in front of the telly later.

Mixed day today. Shopping day, aldi first followed by the supermarket to pick up all the bits aldi doesnt stock. Overspent on the budget - by a long way. But I reckon it will last for 2 weeks (apart from the perishables)

Also OH has been signed off by the doc as he still has gastro issues - which basically means he is under my feet for the next 2 days!!! :sigh:.

Found out the date of the races is on a friday - which will prob mean i cant go :cry: OH is on call that day and the other blokes that could cover him are on holidays or on a course. He may be able to pick the kids up or he could be stuck over an hour away and he will not know until the last minute. And all the ladies i would ask to get the kids instead are going to the races on the bus i would be going on! I may be able to formulate a plan, am not giving up altogether, but I am prepared for the worst! This is the major downside to being far away from family. (and i miss them sometimes to, not just for the free babysitting lol!)

Foodwise went well Red day

B w'bix & milk A & B
L Scrambled egg on toast B
T Pork chop Cauli Broccolli Carrot grated cheese A ww Almond slice (3.5 syns)
snacks: Banana, yogurt, Aldi popcorn (2.5 syns) Skinny cow ice lolly (4.5 syns)

It doesn't look like i have eaten much today, but i had 3 eggs, and a shed load of veg. I had a hex A left and grated it over my veg and it was really yummy,(almost) like a cauliflower cheese my mum used to make.

Have just had a funny memory 'pop' up in my head of when my sister tried to do cauliflower cheese and she put a whole cauliflower in the steamer without cutting it up first and cooked it for 10 minutes - 'surprisingly' it was still rock hard when we tried to eat it :8855: - oh well I guess you had to be there!!!:8855:

Not been on for a while, been busy, not doing much, just normal boring stuff, and when I did have 5 minutes to sit down, OH was on the PC. Have managed to get myself a head cold, so am feeling pretty yuk. I consoled myself last night with a couple of treat size milky way and managed to go 7 syns over my allowance! Not the end of the world, will just have to pull it in a bit over the weekend to compensate. The old me would've eaten the entire packet!

I was not all bad yesterday, I took my daughter to the cafe after school while my OH took my son to get his hair cut. I had a GREEN TEA!!! 'Ting' - that was the sound of my halo!!!

Have also notice how long the 'junk food' is lasting in our house at the mo, without my 'secret snacking' and with the OH's dicky belly. Although even the standard of junk food has improved, the kids now get aldi popcorn and museli bars and 2 pieces of fruit in their lunch boxes, so am determined to stick with this one cos i know i am improving my kids health too!

WI Today - 1/2 lb gain!!!

I over did it on the syn at the weekend, in fact I didnt count them. So only myself to blame. Had some fun with the the whole family on Sundays afternooon on the wii - Just Dance 3 - my OH boogieing away to the pointer sisters is one of the funniest things I have seen for a long time! My 6 year old really enjoyed herself, so will definately be getting my moneys worth out of this.

So for this week: Back on the water and the food diary

Food for today - B - Toast with Margarine (2 syns)
L - Omelette
T - Roast (didnt cook it yesterday)

Going to step in a mo and drinking 3 bottles of water plus green tea and water at step.

Thats the plan....

It was a good plan....

I went to cook the roast pork at about 4pm only to work out it would take 3.5 hours to cook so figured would cook it off and it would be ready for Tuesday so had gammon and veg instead. When it eventually came out the over it looked lovely - crackling mmm... anway had several bits of crackling then had a big bag of crisps and probably a litre of pepsi max :(

This morning i woke up feeling horrible. I can feel the crisps still hanging around in my belly and i feel really bloated. is my own fault and i have a full 6 days to undo the damage on the scales but can definately feel the results of my binge. I didnt count the syns, will try and stick to 10 per day this week and focus on free food, i know if i set my limit too low it will be counterproductive.

Also have a new mini goal - having a weekend away with the girls 17th November, have binned idea of going to the races

Am taking the dog to the vet to be desexed today, hope she will be ok :( Gonna do the gardening to keep my mind off of it.

Hiya Val - popping in to see you. How are things in Oz? :)

Will have a proper read through of your diary shortly :D

Was just randomly thinking could you get a home mincer so you could make your own extra lean mince from whole cuts of lean meat/chicken breasts etc? Then you could make your own syn free sausages/burgers and whatnot? Was pondering investing in one myself as it's getting tricky finding extra lean over here aswell now :eek:

HI Lochan that is a brilliant idea, although I dont think i would go as far as putting the meat into pig-gut skins or whatever it is that they put the meat into for sausages, I am thinking I would just roll the meat into sausage shapes and go from there. We have aldi here and their lean mince is fairly cheap. (I know it is not extra lean, but i always drain away the fat and find it does not give off much) I also make a mean burger for when we have bbq's !

I think a mincer would be great for chicken, we can get chicken mince here, but tbh I think you get even more fat off that than the mince, I guess you get all the skin minced up with it yuk! - so at least with a mincer you can just put breast portions in it, mmmm, may have to put it on my christmas list!!!

The wheels once again fell off my wagon this week - mainly cos i wasnt counting my syns, so I think I did really well only gaining 1lb. Actually I think that is very much an understatement! I think it is a bloody miracle!!!

Mind you, my old consultant used to say that a lot of people only focus on the bad stuff and lose sight of all the good things that they are doing, so the net result is that you are actually staying within your syns. Am not so sure about that, but I have still been sticking to the plan up until 7pm and as the heat is starting to rise here my main tea is meat or fish, a jacket potato and a massive salad. 1 day I had Pizza and chips, but if I think about it, I had about a quarter of a pizza, not many chips and I still had salad with it.

I have still been having water and green tea, and mainly choosing free food to snack on. (apart from the rainbow flavoured paddle pop ice lollys, which I havent had the courage to syn yet, as I have been having at least 2 per day!)

Anyway, I have been on this plan now for 2 months and only lost 4lbs and it is purely down to me. So this week I am gonna do my food diary religiously and get that halo shining again!

And I am gonna work out the syns on a paddle pop.

Thats my plan!

And am gonna go shopping too, am out of fruit.

And yogurt

Oh crap - I have just entered todays weight onto the sw website and it happily told me I have actually gained 1 1/2 lbs :( and my ice lollys are 5 1/2 syns :( :(

I guess it is better to have the knowledge than be ignorant of the facts, or is it that ignorance is bliss??!! *sigh*

OK - pull yourself together Val!!!

Now I know the syn value I can have it and account for it! Simple!

Am off to put the aircon on to max and get the wii out - have an extra 1/2 lb to sort out that I didn't realise I had!

Minimins just ate my post, the s0ds! lol

Mn wondering what those paddle pops are now - making me think of the old fashioned ice lollies we had here that come with two sticks so you could break it in half to make two lollies... probably nothing like what you're enjoying hehe. You can have 15 syns a day so 5.5 per lolly isn't too bad :)

Reckon I'm gonna put a mincer from Lakeland on my christmas list too - they've got a mini one for £30 that sounds like it should do the job, has a sausage and pasta nozzles too! I'm sure you'd be able to find a reasonably priced one somewhere in oz, amazon maybe?

I've gone a bit shaky on the syns front too lately - had a whole week offplan during my hols (feeling sorry for myself with a cold and * week :rolleyes:) but managed to pull off a good result this saturday then went and stuffed my face all day :eek: I'm getting a slimpod cd soon - it's like a mini hypnosis thing you listen to 10 minutes a day. A few people have been trying them on here and one of my mini friends has seen a big difference to their appetite and attitude to food (I'm astounded at the change in her actually!) so thought I'd have a try, you never know :)

How you getting on with the wii for exercise? I've dusted off the Biggest Loser since yesterday and started using that one and it's quite fun with recipes and stuff, though it tells me I should be having just under 2600 cals a day and in the same stroke has recommended I try and lose 21lbs in four weeks eating that much :eek::eek::eek:

Catch you again soon hun xxx

Cannot believe I just spent ages writing a response to your post and minimins chewed up mine too!!! Anyhow will do my responses in red ;)

Minimins just ate my post, the s0ds! lol Yeah Know how that feels :sigh:

Mn wondering what those paddle pops are now - making me think of the old fashioned ice lollies we had here that come with two sticks so you could break it in half to make two lollies... probably nothing like what you're enjoying hehe. You can have 15 syns a day so 5.5 per lolly isn't too bad :) I think they are the full fat version of the skinny cow ice lollies without the gooey bit. The rainbow ones are vanilla flavour but multi coloured. I bought them for the kids, but am finding I eat most of them :D

Reckon I'm gonna put a mincer from Lakeland on my christmas list too - they've got a mini one for £30 that sounds like it should do the job, has a sausage and pasta nozzles too! I'm sure you'd be able to find a reasonably priced one somewhere in oz, amazon maybe? Am gonna dust off my moulenex masterchef which is hidden in a cupboard somewhere, not sure if it minces, but worth checking it out before I part with cash!

I've gone a bit shaky on the syns front too lately - had a whole week offplan during my hols (feeling sorry for myself with a cold and * week :rolleyes:) but managed to pull off a good result this saturday then went and stuffed my face all day :eek: I'm getting a slimpod cd soon - it's like a mini hypnosis thing you listen to 10 minutes a day. A few people have been trying them on here and one of my mini friends has seen a big difference to their appetite and attitude to food (I'm astounded at the change in her actually!) so thought I'd have a try, you never know :) Always worth giving it a go, I have a cd to listen to before I go to sleep, but as me and OH sleep in the same room I've found it difficult. He is supportive of my diet, but he has to be at work by 7am so is very protective of his sleep! - I guess I need to invest in headphones!!

How you getting on with the wii for exercise? I've dusted off the Biggest Loser since yesterday and started using that one and it's quite fun with recipes and stuff, though it tells me I should be having just under 2600 cals a day and in the same stroke has recommended I try and lose 21lbs in four weeks eating that much :eek::eek::eek: OMG that is over 5lb per week - is that even safe??? Is the workout any good? I might add that one to my xmas list. I bought Just dance 3 the other week, thats good fun.

Catch you again soon hun xxx

Hope your having a good week xx

Back