Disciplining children

*Emsie* said:
Just wait till you have the third ;)
My youngest was late talker and then suddenly he started coming out with big words and sentences and hasn't shut up since!

Oh I'm not having any more. And that's guaranteed.
I was told there's no difference in having two to having one. Liars!!! Lol. I can see it if they are close in age and play together, but a four year age gap......
There won't be a third one 'popping' out of me.

Shirleen said:
Exclusion is simply shunting the problem into the parents IMO.

My response isn't to cause conflict, it's simply to show an opinion from the teachers side.

In my experience (as a teacher) exclusion is used as an absolute last resort. The situation needs to be pretty severe to warrant exclusion, no one wants it , particularly the school as it is seen to reflect badly. The majority of teachers (that I know) would rather die than admit that they can't get through to a child. It just gets to a point where everyone has to realise that there are sometimes 30 other children in a class who a teacher is responsible for, it's not feasible or fair to spend the majority of your day (which tends to be the case with pupils with behavioural issues) working with one child. The others need and deserve a look in too :)

I agree with Jenna - my head always says that 'exclusion' is the worst word in the world, worse than any swear words, as it means we've failed.

At first I was horrified at the exclusion/s but now I feel that it is actually a support for my child (though in a way that he wouldn't appreciate)
I feel it stops his behaviour escalating even further. When I was discussing his exclusion with him and the fact that when he was told if he didn't follow the request the next step would be exclusion and he replied to the teacher/s "I don't care" I said I was surprised to hear that he didn't care, he said that "He just wanted to get away from the *unrepeatable word*"
He was in a situation that he didn't want to be in and wouldn't or couldn't backdown and I wouldn't like to think what he may have done to get himself out of it if the situation had carried on but it seemed he was in a place that he wouldn't have backed down and followed the teachers requests!
The teachers had given him as much chance as they could and were absoloutely frazzled by his behaviourand he had caused diruption in his and other classes and interviews had been delayed etc, he is not entitled to one to one support or anything and I do feel they do the best they can with what resources they have, they also have to be able to justify the exclusions.
I'm sure there are exceptions but would hope that generally it is something only done in the interest of the child or other children in the school!

I agree with Jenna - my head always says that 'exclusion' is the worst word in the world, worse than any swear words, as it means we've failed.

I really dont think you should feel that way. Exclusion has helped my son. It's helped him to access more support as suddenly the Ed Psych realised the teachers needed more support and also for us in the end it helped us to get a statement and full time one to one. It also gave him time to calm down and reflect away from school and have some 1-1 with me.Kids acting out in an extreme way often means there is unmet need somewhere and its a case of addressing that. I sometimes feel I cant manage my son with 2 other kids so goodness only know how school were managing with my son plus another 28 kids in the class and trying to teach as well. You teacher's are only human!

Back