DISCUSS: Is BMI 20 - 22 a realistic target?

I think everyone is different and will find their own comfortable weight.
I want to get to BMI twenty this time so I can finish on a healthy eating way of life and not feel like I,m on a permanent diet , I stopped last year at the weight I am now nearly but was still 'dieting' skipping meals and doing it all wrong as I wanted to be smaller! So I,m here till the end this time no matter how long it takes exercising daily this time so I hope this helps! My CDC is going to weigh me every 4-6 weeks when I reach goal just to help me not slip bk to my old ways.

N xxx

I've been slim many many moons ago, and I can honestly say, that being slim doesn't suit me. I am large framed, I'm 5ft 10, I have mahoosive J cup boobies and if I was a size 10/12 I'd look so top heavy. I was aiming for BMI 25, but I changed it, after looking at my lifestyle, looking at the weight I'd feel comfortable at, and to be quite honest, a little extra meat on my bones isn't such a bad thing, so long as I don't get into the state I'm in now. I think it all depends on the body frame and the individual. I'm personally aiming to get into a size 16 at the end of all this, once I'm there, I'll be happy and stop ssing and stressing about my weight.

I do think the main problem behind all this, is the super skinny celebrities we see in the papers, films, tv. Look at Victoria Beckham, now I just think she needs to eat something, she doesn't look healthy. But that's what we're told that the ideal woman is supposed to look like, like hell she is. Average size in the UK is size 16.

soontobegorgeous - surely there was a nicer way to say that? Isn't it the same as dissing someone for being fat? There will be people reading this who have achieved wonders by getting to BMI 20/21/22 .... just sounded a bit inconsiderate but maybe it is just me being sensitive on behalf of others.

IAWTC.

It means I agree with this comment

Gx

The reason i ask is i was researching my project (a new therapy for breast cancer) and i got bored, so was browsing the new topics. There was a new unreviewed paper on lower BMIs, and the debate in question was maintaining a BMI of 20-22 after losing a considerable amount of weight.

Now i didnt read it cos it was from an american journal and i only have free access to uk sites. They were basically hinting about "re-training" your BMI....

hehe!!!

Ha, sorry, I wrote about three different (proper, with actual words and sentences) responses before I gave up and went with the acronym!

Back