Do you count calories?

LibbyW

Hi all
Not too many people posting on this board!

But I'm wondering....do you count calories. I know Irish Molly does but from what I've read in GL Diet for Dummies and Patrick Holford GL Cookbook it seems counting calories isn't required.

Bit confused really.

I think I'm set to loose 2 pounds this week so I'm happy. (haven't counted cals). Will be weighing in tomorrow morning so will post then.

Good luck to all.
Libby.

Hi Libby

I don't count calories - I use the GL diet made easy by Nigel Denby and that doesn't specify that you should count calories either. It does say not to have more than the amount you could hold in your cupped hands at one meal though. I am hoping I can avoid going down the calorie counting route as I think of this as a different way of eating rather a diet - when I count calories/points (WW) I find that I am obsessed with what I am going to eat next, whereas in the short time I've been GL'ing I having felt like that, which is good. Having said that, I think I may have to limit my portion sizes more as I feel either a gain or a STS this week :(.

Good luck with your WI tomorrow!

Lesley
x

Hi Lesley
Well I must have jinxed it yesterday. I weighed myself and was almost 2 pounds down.

Then today my official weigh in day I'm only 0.5 pounds down!!!!

I don't mind too much cause I reckon it is water retention or something and it should be gone by next Friday.

Anyway losing a half pound per week can't be bad in the long run!

So I'm off to change my profile thingie.

Heading to a wedding this weekend. Tomorrow I'll probably be off plan but will try to get back on straight away on Sunday (Monday!!!).

So have a good weekend and fingers crossed for a loss for you.

Libby

Well done on the loss this week and enjoy the wedding. Re the whole calorie thing! I find GL works best for me by firstly concentrating on the type of foods I eat. That is, that they are all GL friendly choices per Patrick Holford, Nigel Denby recommendations. Initially, I found that my portion sizes were a bit too big. Obviously my idea of a handful was way too much so I kept a tab on overall cals as a way of watching portion sizes. I used myfitnesspal to check the calorie content of portions of all GL type foods I like and keep this in mind when planning menus etc.
I agree that the calorie counting could become obsessive and you might end up saving cals for all the wrong foods. I don't operate it this way. I very much stick to GL foods in the green and orange range and almost never anything in the red. I have almost completely cut out bread/potato/pasta/rice and feel fantastic and never miss these foods either. BTW these were my absolute faves before I lost the weight.
I never ever feel like I am on a diet. GL is how I live my life. For me GL is a lifestyle and it will be for life. Of course, I have treats etc as life has to be about balance. Last night, I was at a friends and had two slices of very yummy and rich biscuit cake and some chocolate dipped strawbs and a couple of glasses of wine but I will be good today and tomorrow to pull up for my excess of last night.
We each have to find a way that works best for us and this is what has worked for me.
You are obviously doing the right thing for you as you are showing a loss. My motto is, if it ain't broke don't fix it!! Lots of luck for the coming week.

Hi Lesley
Well I must have jinxed it yesterday. I weighed myself and was almost 2 pounds down.

Then today my official weigh in day I'm only 0.5 pounds down!!!!

I don't mind too much cause I reckon it is water retention or something and it should be gone by next Friday.

Anyway losing a half pound per week can't be bad in the long run!

So I'm off to change my profile thingie.

Heading to a wedding this weekend. Tomorrow I'll probably be off plan but will try to get back on straight away on Sunday (Monday!!!).

So have a good weekend and fingers crossed for a loss for you.

Libby

Hi Libby

Congratulations on the loss! Well done. Isn't it annoying when the scales show such a change from one day to the next though. As predicted, I STS this week, which I'm fine with as I know I need to restrict the portion sizes a bit.

I hope you enjoyed the wedding and that you are back on plan!

Good luck for the coming week!

Lesley
x

Well done on the loss this week and enjoy the wedding. Re the whole calorie thing! I find GL works best for me by firstly concentrating on the type of foods I eat. That is, that they are all GL friendly choices per Patrick Holford, Nigel Denby recommendations. Initially, I found that my portion sizes were a bit too big. Obviously my idea of a handful was way too much so I kept a tab on overall cals as a way of watching portion sizes. I used myfitnesspal to check the calorie content of portions of all GL type foods I like and keep this in mind when planning menus etc.
I agree that the calorie counting could become obsessive and you might end up saving cals for all the wrong foods. I don't operate it this way. I very much stick to GL foods in the green and orange range and almost never anything in the red. I have almost completely cut out bread/potato/pasta/rice and feel fantastic and never miss these foods either. BTW these were my absolute faves before I lost the weight.
I never ever feel like I am on a diet. GL is how I live my life. For me GL is a lifestyle and it will be for life. Of course, I have treats etc as life has to be about balance. Last night, I was at a friends and had two slices of very yummy and rich biscuit cake and some chocolate dipped strawbs and a couple of glasses of wine but I will be good today and tomorrow to pull up for my excess of last night.
We each have to find a way that works best for us and this is what has worked for me.
You are obviously doing the right thing for you as you are showing a loss. My motto is, if it ain't broke don't fix it!! Lots of luck for the coming week.

This sounds a very sensible approach, thank you for sharing the information. It's interesting that you say you see GL as a lifestyle because that's how I felt when i switched from WW - I really couldn't imagine counting points for ever whereas with this plan, I feel like I am just making sensible choices and not stressing about it.

If I have another STS or gain on Friday, I may have to count calories for a while, maybe just until I can get my portion sizes right. I too have cut out pasta, rice, potatoes, noodles & bread and they were my favourite foods too! I must admit I don't really miss them at all either. I'm hoping my STS this week is just a little blip and not the start of another 6 week plateau!

Thanks again for the info.

Lesley
x

Back