do you stay or do you go???

maxine uk

as a fairly new consultant (8 weeks and loving it) i was wondering 2 things really
1... do or dont you stay to image therapy
2... if you weigh and leave what makes you decide that??
i know as a member i stayed (and still stay) to image therapy i had the mind set of im paying nearly a fiver and im going to get my monies worth :)
any ideas would be helpful
thank you in advance

maxine uk said:
as a fairly new consultant (8 weeks and loving it) i was wondering 2 things really
1... do or dont you stay to image therapy
2... if you weigh and leave what makes you decide that??
i know as a member i stayed (and still stay) to image therapy i had the mind set of im paying nearly a fiver and im going to get my monies worth :)
any ideas would be helpful
thank you in advance

Hi! And congratulations on both your achievements!! :)

I always stay to group! Reasons:
- I love it!
- I love my consultant, she makes me laugh and offers fab advice.
- I believe it is the reason I have lost the weight I have. (4st 9 lbs!)
- I have lots of new friends there to catch up with.
- I like being able to support others there.

Merry Christmas x

I never used to stay. I didn't want to be part of the 'fat fighters' cliche, couldn't see the point of sitting clapping people who I didn't know or care about, and as far as I was concerned, the only people who stayed to group were the oldies who had nothing better to do with their time.

After I joined this place, however, I decided to give group a try, and I think I've only weighed and left a couple of times in the last six months, when I've needed to be somewhere else. I always stay, regardless of whether I've gained or lost, and whether my WI buddy is there or not. It's made a massive difference to my motivation and my losses (though the past few weeks aren't exactly a shining example...) and of course, it's not actually full of oldies who have nothing better to do!

I think for me, my age, self-consciousness and my perceptions of 'weight loss clubs' were what stopped me wanting to stay.

I virtually never stay... my reasons are:

* I go on my own so find it hard to sit and wait for group to start as lots of people are in groups
* I get wound up by other people talking when consultant is
* Annoys me when people are lazy and ask silly questions when all the answers are in their handbook.
* I work early shifts so want to get home in an evening

I know I must sound like a right mardy bum, I'm not honestly.. just don't enjoy group x

I stay every week, even when it's a weight and go sesion for whatever reason..

You learn the "tricks of the trade" if you stay such as the other week someone had a bad week because she's 18 and enjoys going out with friends ( as any 18 year old does )..
someone else in group suggested she try extra dry martini and diet sprite instead of her usual drinks of white wine etc.. ( also substituting every 3rd glass with just diet sprite so her friends didn't think she was a lightweight etc.. )...
you get meal plan ideas as well and if something isn't going right for you then someone in group will always have a possible solution..

I always stay to group as you get lots of hints & tips. I love the atmosphere & I've made lots of friends. Also I've seen quite a few people hit target stop coming to class only to return months later having gained some of what they had lost & aiming for target again. I really don't want that to happen to me.

At our group we don't go round the class clapping everyone who has lost. Instead our C has a topic she talks about & we all ask questions.

I
At our group we don't go round the class clapping everyone who has lost. Instead our C has a topic she talks about & we all ask questions.

When I first went to group I was really dissapointed that IT was just a clapping session. I'd read so many items in SW mag where people had said the session was so motivational that they wouldn't miss it for the world - I'd expected something akin to what Michelle has in her group. I had a countdown membership & think I stayed the whole session as it was simply a bit of the old 'I've paid for it so I'll flippin well stay'. My dissapointment never waned. If my 'C' had done something like Michelle's I honestly think I would still be going - I was only a few pounds off target anyway but even as a 'free' target member, I still wouldn't have enjoyed the mostly disinterested clapping so decided to go it alone to finish off the job. Oh yes, I also agree with Louise24 - it was really rude & so annoying when other members had their own conversations over the 'C' or other members. I think the 'C' asking if anyone specifically wanted to ask for help from members or to share a good find or receipe etc & then go through a relevant topic with Q&A would be more of what I was expecting.

I don't stay to get my money's worth, i stay because i need to yet, it's very early days for me and i really need the support.

I stay to class all the time unless i have to go somewhere. I really enjoy class because we have a great laugh. Paula our consultant is brilliant and gets us motivated ... i love to hear what everyone else has been doing through the week and some of the tips are brilliant.

I stay to class all the time as I an committed 100% (read obsessive!) - it is a bit of a bugbear of mine that those who never stay (and there are some) just come in, throw away a fiver to get weighed and we never know if they lose, gain or STS.

I try not to be judgmental, but it is very difficult to stand by and not make comment, (or at least think privately) that someone is taking the pee!

Our consultant has been there and done it - I've seen her before pics (5.5st lost and now target) - she's a good laugh and we exchange emails/texts be they info, ideas or even the odd funny!

There are some tremendous characters at group, and nights are better when they turn up! and I'm almost reluctant to add that it has become a part of my social diary! - I actually look forward to a and enjoy Image Therapy. I really care about people and their losses/struggles. It is one hell of a family, and while some people clearly take the pee (and don't commit) there are others and enough of them to make it worth the while.

Our consultant though does have some interesting FACTS & STATS and it is clear that those who stay to group rather than weigh-and-run lose a lot more on average per week. Not sure if they leave because of poor performance, or have poor performance because they leave though - saying that. some have never stayed in the 12 weeks or so I've been to group!

Next week is my last "paid for" week (apart from the one to be added for Club 10) so will be again paying the advance fee- this saves a few quid, but also commits me to group.

If I could not commit, or had to be somewhere else instead, I would not bother turning up to be weighed and leaving - but as I say that's just me:)

Seems to me there are a lot of people out there who need to find a different/better group, or at least need to really start taking the SW seriously as I hear people voice similar concerns at work.
Steve

I have had a little too much christmas spirit to write as eloquently as Steve but I stay to group for exactly the same reason! Today is my first proper day off plan and my last til next xmas! LOL! :D

I completely agree with everything he says! I always stay to group and it really helps me!

At first I wasn't going to stay to class. I'd dragged my sister to come with me when I joined but after that had to do it on my own.

I was horrid sitting there at first as it seemed really clicky. In fact it wasn't, it was just I was shy.

9months on i've missed 2weighings due to holiday and had to get weighed and go once. Its become a little social life. I enjoy seeing my new friends each week, catching up etc.
We had a fab christmas night out together.

Plus it really does keep me going.

wow thank you for the responses so far and some really great comments and ideas,
Steve i think you would make a fantastic consultant :)

Yes I stay every week.

• Why would I pay £4.95 to just weigh in?
  • I love my group and we have a laugh
  • My consultant is great and always has lots of good advice from the stories of people's weeks
  • It's a night out (oh dear....)

Though I too get annoyed at people asking stupid questions. And sometimes my consultant giving wrong advice (like jelly being syn free....and another time saying the sachets were 1/2 syn for both sachets.) and saying

I stay to class all the time as I an committed 100% (read obsessive!) - it is a bit of a bugbear of mine that those who never stay (and there are some) just come in, throw away a fiver to get weighed and we never know if they lose, gain or STS.

I try not to be judgmental, but it is very difficult to stand by and not make comment, (or at least think privately) that someone is taking the pee!

Steve, you sound very motivated and fair play to you for doing so well. However - I don't stop to group (and am committed 100%) but don't see how I am "taking the pee" by doing this?

I also don't see it as "throwing away a fiver" as if I didn't come to group to get weighed I would not be able to do this.

I guess everyone is different in what works for them, and you sound like you've got a good class to stay at, but not everyone / class is the same. :D

Steve

But the thing is, some of us don't really want others to know our result! Thats actually the bit I hate about sw! I am sorry, but my results are private to me, whatever they are, I don't want it announced and to have to explain it! I don't see how thats taking the pee, but just that I am a private person, and don't enjoy the 'happy clapping' at all. I don't personally feel the support from the group is why slimming clubs work for me, its the support of the C and the discipline of the weekly wi. I do enjoy sharing tips etc, but I honestly believe that the C should be doing most of the talking, with slimmers just chipping in with a few of their experiences, with no pressure on anyone to contribute (thats how ww works).

I haven't gained yet, but worry that when I do I won't stay because of it, because I won't want to have to explain it to the group. I also know that if I have a bad week, it will be very tempting to not go to class for this reason.

i have a member who doesnt want to know how much she weighs and only wants the "result" of her week know to her.. my social team are fantastic and take the possition they hold within the group very seriuos she feels very confident that she can stay to IT and know she is getting the support she needs.
i really asked the question to see if i can offer an even better and imformative meeting, and as i can only understand my own personal experiance of group meetings thats why i asked teh question
keep replying please its really interesting

But the thing is, some of us don't really want others to know our result! Thats actually the bit I hate about sw! I am sorry, but my results are private to me, whatever they are, I don't want it announced and to have to explain it! I don't see how thats taking the pee, but just that I am a private person, and don't enjoy the 'happy clapping' at all. I don't personally feel the support from the group is why slimming clubs work for me, its the support of the C and the discipline of the weekly wi. I do enjoy sharing tips etc, but I honestly believe that the C should be doing most of the talking, with slimmers just chipping in with a few of their experiences, with no pressure on anyone to contribute (thats how ww works).

My group is very guilty of the happy clappy bit, but we are all genuinely proud of each other every week so everyone has a big clap :p

Back