do you stay or do you go???

me and my partner go together and dont stay for a few reasons. Our weigh in is at 7pm and by time it comes we are starving and need some tea! We used to stay when we first started but after a couple of months our consultant moved and since weve had a different one every week because they need a new one. So you dont know who you have or what to expect. And because of the problem with the consultant, a lot of the longer standing members have gone to new groups. So theres usually only a few people there if you do stay.

I usually stay as it's my night out and a chance to get to know more people in the area. The odd occasion I don't know it's usually if I'm tired, hungry and put on and don't Wang to listen to people who have done well, I know that sounds selfish and mean! It's those nights that I should stay but usually go home and cry!

As part of the social team I love going to group, I'm always one of the first to arrive and last to leave. The Consultant is brilliant, the members are great and if I ever can't get to group for any reason I get withdrawal symptoms lol.

I was made redundant from work last Christmas and thought I would have to give up group, I was gutted, however my consultant let me stay as part of the social team :) I've just rejoined as a member so feel even more part of the group now :D

I must say I also try to get to group early and help set-up and again help put stuff away and remove the chairs - our group is in the local church, so important to keep it right in case someone's keeping tabs;)

Actually, being there early, I usually become tea/coffee monitor - most welcome especially in the current freeze and our group never closed once over the recent bad weeks!

Maybe I do need to get a life:p

i love the idea of involving my members in as much of the group as possible, without "putting" too much on them,
as for the making money part well as a new consultant i certainly am not in it for the money..and hope it will never be that way, and to be honest im probably paying slimming world at the moment, saying that i LOVE it :)

You sound like a fab consultant Maxine. Some others could learn a lot from you. Keep it up!

I've recently rejoined SW and have chosen a different group - I've been to a few different ones over the years. It seems that there is tremendous variance between the consultants. I completely agree that ultimately the responsibility is mine to take control and develop a healthier lifestyle, but a good consultant can be a great enabler to that.

My new consultant is very refreshing. She's not too skinny (although has lost over 4 stone on SW), and she is upfront about how tough she finds it sometimes. This makes her very human and automatically non-judgmental, and able to relate to her members.

It's the clapping thing that intrigues me. If it's a big group the clapping just seems to take for ever! I wonder why consultants don't vary it a little. No doubt there is value in the 'round robin', but does it need to be every single week? Maybe one week just ask if anyone is particularly proud of their WI result and is happy to share why, or if anyone has learned anything significant this week they'd like to share... and so on. Maybe, just a cross-section of views rather than a complete round-robin?

The consultant could maybe ask the group which format worked best overall and why, and then develop the approach from there?

My new consultant is a confident speaker and can hold the attention of the group so the issue of talking over her doesn't really happen. I think it's a very tough aspect of the consultant's role as they are literally 'on stage' for that hour or so.

Well, long post but net net: for me, going to group gives me a discipline and means I can't fool myself about my real progress so for that reason alone it's worth going. The consultant's style and effectiveness can make a big difference, and the only thing I'd challenge is whether highlighting every single person in the group is the most effective thing to do all of the time.

Phew, glad i got that lot off my chest.

Back