Doctorwhogirl's Journey of Maintenance on Discovery! :)

Thanks girls I have found something. Isn't it terrible how much confidence is linked to weight?

Thanks for the support though. xx Heading out now x

Know the feeling re nothing looking or feeling quite right - i used to hate going shopping and literally everything i tried on just looked dreadful or ill fitting

Thanks ladies! :)

had a good enough niight now! No alcohol and avoided the chipper when everyone else was heading! Had a few things when I came home though so went into my weeklies by 3 more.

Anyway, I'm about to go off on a big rant again now so RANT WARNING!
:blahblah:

So this morning I woke and the whole weight thing was still on my mind, as it has been for the past month!
:rolleyes: The dresses not fitting was so frustrating. I had a good night in the end but it still breaks my heart that nothing is working like it used to. I still felt bloated and looked the same! I haven't gone on scales but they were the same a couple of days ago.

ANYWAY!

I had a good think. Something isn't working. Maybe propoints will but in my gut I feel like it won't/isn't.
So I thought to myself "let's dissect this right down and see what is going on". So I got on the laptop and decided to do a bit of research. I was on a mission! A weight loss mission! Now I know most of the stuff online is a big load of nonsense but I like to think that I'm intelligent enough to see past most of the rubbish!

So the first weight loss tool I came across was on myfitnesspal, which I use on occassion to check calories of things.
It was a BMR calculator. Now I'm sure most of you know what that is already and I had heard of it before. Basically it calculates the minimum amount of calories your body needs to just exist more or less.

So I worked out my BMR. It was lower than I thought it would be but fine. So according to lots of websites the amount of calories I should be eating to lose weight is around 1200 to 1300. I did lots of research lol!

NEXT STEP in my early morning research :p
Work out how many calories I am eating. From all I had read I had to count EVERYTHING! Now WW allows veg and fruit to be free and while I go easy on the fruit I do eat a LOT of vegetables. I was very curious to see how this would add up.

I spent a good hour entering my meals on my app and counting everything.
Ultimately it was coming out that I was overeating by an average of 200-350 or so calories a day which would lead to maintenance over the weeks! Or a loss of maybe 0.2 a week!

Now I'm a WW'er at heart but this was making sense to me despite some questions still in my head...
Firstly, what about the exercise? Then I realised that I've been exercising at a rate of at least 3-5 times a week for almost three years at a fairly high intensity. My old ww leader always said that your body gets used to exercise and you need to change it. So maybe my body is just used to expending that amount of calories and maybe I'm not burning off these extra ones I'm eating?

Secondly, it's bloody fruit and veg!?!?! They're good for me! So yes, I understand that they are brilliant, filling foods. And when I first started weightwatchers it was a brilliant incentive to eat them. I did used to eat them but not in a big way at all. Just randomly. Now I LOVE vegetables and load my plates with them. But they do have a calorie content, however small and maybe at this stagnant stage in my weight loss journey I need to start accounting for them. It doesn't mean I'm going to start weighing carrots but even if I estimate and account for them in terms of calories maybe it will help.

Now, after all that ranting! :p

What I have decided is that for the next while I will log my food using Myfitnessplan and try to stick the the allowance of 1200. So it's a move away from WW. Which upsets me! But I'm keeping my diary here if that's ok, because I love all you lot! :p

I know it seems like I'm hopping and changing but this is the first time I feel like maybe I have an answer! The few calories really add up and maybe that could be the difference. And when it gets moving I can get back to WW!?

I'd love to hear your ideas and I am so grateful for your support in the short while I've been here!

I'm still going to track food here and rant away! :)

Apologies for the awful, long and inevitably boring post! xxx

I track using both MFP and WW! (jaly92) - feel free to add me :) I eat by my allocated WW points but use mfp to make sure i'm not going overboard with the fruit etc!

Remember to take into account that your BMR is a LOT lower than what you actually burn and 1200 seems extremely low for your activity level. Calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) with your current exercise regime and make a 500calorie deficit per day (perhaps a 200cal deficit if you burn 300cal on average per day over the week through exercise)

Vegetables are extremely good for you and often it takes more energy to digest them (unless they're starchy such as pulses/parsnips etc) than you intake while eating them so fruit is more of a problem than veggies but being more aware of everything you eat is never a bad idea.

Varying your exercise regime always give your body a bit of a shock and stops workouts from getting repetitive and dull too :)

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to realise how bloody beautiful you are! Love the body you're in! ;) I know I definitely would if I had your looks my dear! x I can definitely understand/appreciate all of the frustration but your body may just need a little shock, if you're a ww'er at heart, why not try the Wendie plan and track it on mfp as well? xx

Take care of yourself Miss! :)

Doctorwho girl, I understand your frustration! maybe give the calorie counting a try. When is your next weigh in? It seems mad your sticking to it religiously!! don't think you can include your workouts as you were already doing them, it's a mystery why you are not losing! ESP as you had done it before and lost so much!

Thanks Jaly and karen, great advice there and lovely kind words!. From what I can tell eating the amount I'm eating is just not working and I've given it over a month and nothing. As I've said many times before I wouldn't mind if I was going off track but I literally have only been off track once and by about 7 points! Yet I've STS.

I've worked out my TDEE and it would recommend about 1500 calories but as I said eating that means I'm maintaining. Plus, asides from going to the gym etc... I do sit on my arse most of the time! I'm a teacher so when I go back to work I will be on my feet more so maybe I can have an extra 100/200 then.

Also I don't mind eating between 1200-1300 calories, that's fine. I also love a treat day after weigh in so those few calories I've "saved" could maybe go towards that?

Today's Food
Breakfast
Skimmed milk, tesco micro oats and honey (203)

Lunch
Mayo and ketchup with tuna, spring onion on 3 rice cakes
Salad with peppers, onion, tomato and kraft low fat dressing (295)

Dinner
quorn pieces, egg noodles, soy and oyster sauce, green isle frozen stir fry veg and mushrooms (304)
Melon and grape with natural yoghurt

Snacks (throughout day)
melon and grapes with natural yoghurt
Box raisins
Sugar free jelly
Dairylea dunkers
Tesco choc wafer (464)

Total: 1266
Exercise 50 minutes boxing and toning

So I figure I've burned a few extra calories in that but not going to eat them I don't think. I'll save them for a few treats.

My aim is to eat about 1250-1300 cals

doctorwhogirl said:
Today's Food
Breakfast
Skimmed milk, tesco micro oats and honey (203)

Lunch
Mayo and ketchup with tuna, spring onion on 3 rice cakes
Salad with peppers, onion, tomato and kraft low fat dressing (295)

Dinner
quorn pieces, egg noodles, soy and oyster sauce, green isle frozen stir fry veg and mushrooms (304)
Melon and grape with natural yoghurt

Snacks (throughout day)
melon and grapes with natural yoghurt
Box raisins
Sugar free jelly
Dairylea dunkers
Tesco choc wafer (464)

Total: 1266
Exercise 50 minutes boxing and toning

So I figure I've burned a few extra calories in that but not going to eat them I don't think. I'll save them for a few treats.

My aim is to eat about 1250-1300 cals

Sounds good, good luck

Good luck hun u just do whatever feels right for you xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi Hun,am glad you are keeping your diary with us :0) good luck with calorie counting,I hope it gives your body a wake up call :0) glad you had a nice night out and well done on resisting the chips!

Thanks ladies!!!

Feel a bit bloated tonight but under points/cals and very happy with how I ate today. Last day of hols, back to work tomorrow so just did a walk today, no big gym effort. Was having a lazy day!

Day one Calorie Counting

breakfast
Tesco Micro oats, skimmed milk, honey with ginger

lunch
Tuna mixed with extra light mayo and ketchup, mixed salad, tomato, scallion, onion, red pepper, kraft low fat garlic dressing
Weetabix Bar

Dinner (was stuffed after this! REALLY stuffed! Didn't even have room for my jelly! But then again I did have a massive amount of cabbage. 90 cals in the cabbage btw! :eek:)
150g roast chicken breast, gravy, 130g boiled potatoes, cabbage, carrots

Snacks
40g popcorn kernels airpopped and a special K bar

Total cals: 1243

Really really full today. Could have stopped at about a thousand cals but I know that's too low!

Exercise:30 minute walk- good pace but nothing to write home about! I nearly feel a walk isn't even exercise at this stage but I suppose I'm up and moving which is a good thing!

Hope everyone had a great day! Back to work tomorrow so just made my lunch...HATE making my lunch! :p

doctorwhogirl said:
Thanks ladies!!!

Feel a bit bloated tonight but under points/cals and very happy with how I ate today. Last day of hols, back to work tomorrow so just did a walk today, no big gym effort. Was having a lazy day!

Day one Calorie Counting

breakfast

lunch
Tuna mixed with extra light mayo and ketchup, mixed salad, tomato, scallion, onion, red pepper, kraft low fat garlic dressing
Weetabix Bar

Dinner (was stuffed after this! REALLY stuffed! Didn't even have room for my jelly! But then again I did have a massive amount of cabbage. 90 cals in the cabbage btw! :eek:)
150g roast chicken breast, gravy, 130g boiled potatoes, cabbage, carrots

Snacks
40g popcorn kernels airpopped and a special K bar

Total cals: 1243

Really really full today. Could have stopped at about a thousand cals but I know that's too low!

Exercise:30 minute walk- good pace but nothing to write home about! I nearly feel a walk isn't even exercise at this stage but I suppose I'm up and moving which is a good thing!

Hope everyone had a great day! Back to work tomorrow so just made my lunch...HATE making my lunch! :p

Ahh good I'm dying to see if you have any luck calorie counting with ww.

So am I karen! According to the cals I've been eating I'd only have been losing about 0.2/3 pounds a week so it makes sense I've stayed more or less the same really...

I feel really bloated though now tonight. Felt bit slimmer today but then this evening seemed to bloat? Despite a fairly low carb dinner. TOTM though so maybe that's the issue! Only 2 days in though so I doubt thursday's weigh in will see a big jump on the scales but maybe next week.

A pound a week is what MFP estimates so let's see. I'd be thrilled with that!

Day Three Calorie Counting (yesterday was actually day two!)

breakfast

lunch
Tuna mixed with extra light mayo and ketchup, mixed salad, tomato, scallion, onion, red pepper,
Sugar Free Jelly

After school
Melon and grape with 100g low fat natural yoghurt

Dinner
WW recipe Rosemary chicken burger on a WW wholegrain pitta with relish and light (15g) cheese, 150g ww oven chips and mixed vegetables

Snacks
Special K bar
WW recipe scone and jam (only 148 cals! :D)

Total cals: 1339 (-39)

Exercise: 45 minute Total body spin class

I'm going to be v busy for next few weeks! Missed being able to check everyone's diaries even today! Hope you're all well! xxxx

Back