Doggies

jennyc_uk

Silver Member
Me and the OH really really really really (etc) want a doggie. We've both always had dogs in our family and have missed not having one since moving in together 2 years ago - although we adore our cat who is very spoilt!!

We have always said it would be unfair for us to have a dog with us working full time but it's got to the stage where we are trying to find anyway round this issue. Does anyone else have dogs and work full time? How do they cope while you are out at work?

Thanks!!

It is quite feasible to have a dog and work. Everything depends on what the dog grows up with. In other words what is normal for your dog.

However you have to remember that he/she will need walking before you go to work and when you come home.

You have both always had dogs so fully understand what a huge commitment it is.

Will you get a rescue puppy.......there are so many little souls who need a good, loving home.

My SIL has a dog and they both work full time. Although her H works shifts (anything from 7-' - 10pm), so the dog can sometimes have company all days & sometimes be alone from about 7.30 - 4.

MIL goes in and walks the dog once or twice throughout the day on these types of days.

As much has he's exercised, I still have reservations over whether this is a good thing. He has little/no human company for near 9 hours a day.

I'm not wanting to cause arguments etc. Just personally, having seen it in action, I don't agree with it. I think it's too much for the dog, and has lead to allot of his boredom and extremely destructive behaviour.

I have a doggy and we both work full time. Our little one goes to relatives for the day. Failing that we can use a dog walker to come and take her out for an hour.
Some dogs need more stimulation than others so it's worth looking into it a bit.

Sadly, I don't think you'd be able to get a rescue dog -we looked into this and if the dog is left for more than 4 hours a day then they do not allow you to have one. I do think this is a shame though as, like Sue said, there are so many dogs out there which need a loving home. We thought about fibbing but didn't as they do also come and do checks once the dog is rehomed.

We wanted to rescue but were worried about the same thing as you jaylou

We know a local dog trainer who does a walking/home visit service as well

Many rescues will allow you to take a dog when working full time :) of course a few won't but don't be put off by those. Many have dogs ie 6 years old who are calmer and sometimes in rescue through no fault of their own, ie owners died etc etc, so most definately worth asking a few :Dxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Our dog, Sox, is quite happy to be left for long periods of time if we need to. Currently he's barely left for any longer than a couple of hours & that's usually less than once a week - but we have left him for over 8 hours depending on work or family emergencies. We got him from the RSPCA when he was around 4 years old, he was with an elderly man before us so he's used to being very laid back.

I'd definitely recommend looking into a dog walker/sitter for some company. It just breaks up the day for your pup. Perhaps a neighbour or friend/family member might be willing to look in on him/her if a dog sitter isn't an option.

Did you want a puppy or would you be willing to rescue an older dog? Sox has been an absolute treasure since we got him, we've had no behavioural problems at all with him. The reason I ask is because of things like toilet training, which might be difficult if you're not in much during the day. I wouldn't really recommend crating a dog for that amount of time either.

If you can show the centre you get him/her from that you've found ways to keep him/her entertained while you're out & you have a long term plan then they might be more willing to let you adopt. Obviously this isn't a 'spur of the moment' thing for you or your partner so that's in your favour too.

Good luck! & of course, remember to post photos of the little one when you get him/her! :D

Firstly, please contact rescues about getting a dog from them - with plans such as dog walkers or helpful nieghbours they may let you have one.

We have a dog and both work full time (now both on shift work).

Our dog has been used to being by himself from day 1 really (we got him when he was 12-13weeks old). We are lucky that when we are out he can go out in the lean-to and garden.

He is very laid back and enjoys being by himself - often sits out in the garden when we are in the house (probably cos its cooler outside).

I think the important factors to consider would be:
-the breed of dog
-the length of time alone
-shut in house, or can get out for a wee
-dog walker, friend/neighbour to let dog out

Hope the above is a bit helpful!

My SIL has a dog and they both work full time. Although her H works shifts (anything from 7-' - 10pm), so the dog can sometimes have company all days & sometimes be alone from about 7.30 - 4.

MIL goes in and walks the dog once or twice throughout the day on these types of days.

As much has he's exercised, I still have reservations over whether this is a good thing. He has little/no human company for near 9 hours a day.

I'm not wanting to cause arguments etc. Just personally, having seen it in action, I don't agree with it. I think it's too much for the dog, and has lead to allot of his boredom and extremely destructive behaviour.

I'm with you on this one. As an animal lover, I fear leaving a dog, especially a puppy for any length of time unacceptable. That's why I don't have cats or dogs at present. I find tropical fish less demanding (though more of a challenge with the water chemistry etc.)

In retirement, I'll have a menagerie though;)

I'm with you on this one. As an animal lover, I fear leaving a dog, especially a puppy for any length of time unacceptable. That's why I don't have cats or dogs at present. I find tropical fish less demanding (though more of a challenge with the water chemistry etc.)

In retirement, I'll have a menagerie though;)

Totally agree with you, we only ever had Goldfish when we both worked full time.
And even when I was at home full time, I had to be ready to accept the 100% commitment in having a dog.

I have a dog, cats, fish, birds and lord knows what else, but I work from home, so I can give them the attention they need (I currently have a little ginger one on my knee as I type). A good friend of mine though works full time hours and has a dog (long haired jack russell)w, and he seems a perfectly happy little chap. He was from a rescue centre, and was possibly around 2 when she got him, so had started to calm down a little. She lives in a terrace so has a fenced back yard, and installed a doggy door in her back door, so he can go outside to do his business when he likes.

As has been said, if the little one is well suited to you and your lifestyle, then I personally see no reason why you can't. Walkies in the morning, some toys or chews to entertain him during the day (possibly a dog walker), then walkies and play time in the evening. The rescue centre will be able to advise on who would be best suited to your situation. They can be a handful, but they can bring so much to your life.

Just a note, by no means am I a dog expert, just my opinions :)

I have a dog and work full time. I also have 2 cats too who deffinately rule the roost! They come and go as they please although I don't think much going actually goes on lol

I have a dog walker who comes and takes mol out....an hours walk in the afternoon and I take her for a quick round the block before work and before bed. Molly is a very happy dog....the vet said so when I took her for her jabs yesterday (why is it dogs always embarass the hell out of u at the vets??!!)

I have a spinger spaniel, who is left all day from 7:30am --> 5.30pm but he is walked for 20mins before work and an hour off lead in the evening. He is happy, healthy and just snoozes all day. I agree with ue, it's what the dog is used to, it's always been like that and he is perfectly adapted.

both hubby and my self work full time and we have had a dog for the last 3 years, we both work shifts so some days she is alone for about 7 hours (thats the longest it is likely to be.) we make sure she is walked before we go to work and the first one in takes her out.
she is a rescue dog they were quite happy to let us have her due to the shift work x

In all fairness, rescue dogs will be loving a good home and friendly owners. I think (though I may be wrong) it would be the puppy and weaning stage where the problems occur.

I know work colleagues often tell me they or their partner often return to carnage where puppy has chewed the sofa etc.:D

not quite, menagerie would be domesticated. You lot are wild:p

What "us lot" wild..................well just a bit :giggle:

Noah_ark-animated.gif

Thanks for all the advice ladies

Just as an update we are getting a 3 month old lab we have named Toby. We will be getting doggy daycare and doggy walkers as well as flexible working etc plus I'm going to take some puppy leave lol

Pick him up in 2 weeks can't wait!!

Attachments

• image-1814356819.jpg
    image-1814356819.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 40
He is lovely. They are a super breed of dog.
Now you need to get yourself off to the wellies thread lol !!!!

Back