Donkey's journey to deal with disordered eating and lose 6 stone!

Enjoyed my chicken sandwich earlier - I only eat gluten free bread because wheat is a problem so I freeze a loaf and it lasts forever, but I still very rarely eat it as I just got used to not having bread years ago plus gluten free, even Genius, the brand I use which is the closest to 'real' bread, has a tendency to have huge holes and fall apart. I generally have some rice cakes as an alternative, suggested in the coeliac sheet on the sw site but mostly I just don't have a Hexb. Same with Hexa - I have a lactose intolerance which is mild enough to sometimes have cottage cheese but I can't touch milk, cheese or ice cream without taking tablets beforehand, and I just don't like milk or cheese much. Ice cream in very small amounts (like on the mini twisters) is just about ok if I take tablets but again I rarely have a Hexa either! I use natural yoghurt and fromage frais but again take tablets which is a pain. Fortunately I don't like hot drinks so I don't miss milk in them!
Wondering if perhaps the lack of the Hexb especially is why I have been turning to syns to fill myself up more - the combination of carbs and protein in my sandwich seemed to do the trick today - I might need to experiment with it to see if it makes a difference.

Booked my train tickets to go to London on Sunday. Decided to go down early, around 8am, spend the day at my parents but come home very soon after my hospital appointment Monday to avoid a heavy meal in the evening before wi. My parents like their take aways and when people come round they often order Indian or Chinese or something. I haven't ordered in food since before starting sw - it's the longest I've gone in a VERY long time! When I was going through my phase of constant last suppers I would always order in, like several times a week - which led to my ballooning up quickly. Feel much better for the decent food, as does my bank account :D

It must be tricky having difficulty with both hexes! As a bread/cheese fiend I never struggle- green days are my fave for this reason- but it always surprises me when I read the Hexb list just how much choice there is- maybe you could re-read it for when you don't fancy holey bread?! Nuts can be tasty in savoury dishes or cooked fruit for a pudding? Xx

Mine usually goes on 1 tbsp oil if I'm not having my Alpen light bars.

It must be tricky having difficulty with both hexes! As a bread/cheese fiend I never struggle- green days are my fave for this reason- but it always surprises me when I read the Hexb list just how much choice there is- maybe you could re-read it for when you don't fancy holey bread?! Nuts can be tasty in savoury dishes or cooked fruit for a pudding? Xx

It's tricky only because I don't actually want or like any form of milk. If I drank hot drinks I'd probably want a milk substitute or if I liked the gluten free cereals. I'm just a bit picky really! Also not keen on nuts at all and peanuts alarmingly make my throat itch and constrict if I eat too many so I'm a bit wary! Saying that, I could probably deal with Nutella :giggle: A lot of people with chronic migraines have a lot of sensitivities to things so I'm thinking that's why, annoying as it is. Just realised that the genius bread I'm using, seeded (only because it was reduced, not a preference) isn't included in the Hexb list and the brown and white versions are only one slice each! Psh. Think I'm going to ignore that for now - if I want a sandwich, I want 2 slices! And at best at least if I have holey bread there's less of it! I did see some soups count as a B choice so when it gets chilly that's good to know! Same for cooked fruit, I find it more appealing in late Autumn/Winter.

Subscribing. After reading your first post i really felt compelled to read on to see how your doing.. Your doing fantastic by the way. Although i dont have an ed i can resignate with most of the feelings which you have described. I think this is due to me battling with m weigh since i was young too, truthfully i think most whom battle with their weigh have certain tendancies which you've described. I find it hard to eat breakfast and have to force myself. I hate milk but love cheese. I also dont drink hot drinks and get funny looks from people when i say no thanks i dont drink tea/coffee.

For snacks i tend to either eat a cold curly wurly (6 syns) as it takes longer from the fridge to eat. Slices of quiche and falafals. Do you like onion bahjis as the sw ones are aparently lovely and only 1/2 syn, worth a look.

Well done on the loss so far your doing fab never doubt yourself your one step further than you were before.

Sarah x

Subscribing. After reading your first post i really felt compelled to read on to see how your doing.. Your doing fantastic by the way. Although i dont have an ed i can resignate with most of the feelings which you have described. I think this is due to me battling with m weigh since i was young too, truthfully i think most whom battle with their weigh have certain tendancies which you've described. I find it hard to eat breakfast and have to force myself. I hate milk but love cheese. I also dont drink hot drinks and get funny looks from people when i say no thanks i dont drink tea/coffee.

For snacks i tend to either eat a cold curly wurly (6 syns) as it takes longer from the fridge to eat. Slices of quiche and falafals. Do you like onion bahjis as the sw ones are aparently lovely and only 1/2 syn, worth a look.

Well done on the loss so far your doing fab never doubt yourself your one step further than you were before.

Sarah x

Hi Sarah! Thank you so much! Ups and downs but on the whole it's going really well :)
It's like people think there's something wrong with you when you explain you don't drink hot drinks isn't it?! I was always told when I got older I'd start to drink them but it hasn't happened, tea and coffee especially, just the smell makes me gag!
I think you're right, I felt so so alone with my eating behaviour and relationship with food but being on here and going to group makes me see that a lot of people struggle with the same issues to differing extents. I still can't relate to people saying 'oh I don't want any more, I'm really full' and that kind of thing, especially with syns but I'm hoping my brain will rewire at some point :p Issues with weight when you're young definitely contribute - I wouldn't have been so hyper aware of my weight if I hadn't been told how fat I was from the age of 7/8! But that's why we're here right? :)

I do really like onion bhajis and I hadn't heard of them on sw before - definitely off to look that one up!

I've never cooked so much in my life! Curry on Tuesday, stuffed aubergines yesterday, paprika wedges (first time I've ever made my own chips/wedges, shamefully :p) today and chicken tikka marinating in the fridge to cook later! Added unexpected sw bonus, learning to cook!

I've never cooked so much in my life! Curry on Tuesday, stuffed aubergines yesterday, paprika wedges (first time I've ever made my own chips/wedges, shamefully :p) today and chicken tikka marinating in the fridge to cook later! Added unexpected sw bonus, learning to cook!

I was the same, never cooked til sw and now love cookin new recipes :)

image-3077246710.jpg

My culinary success of the day! Chicken tikka masala, cauliflower rice with peas, mango chutney and chives and cucumber in yoghurt.
It's DELICIOUS!!

Looks fit. How do you make the cauliflower rice? Keep meaning to try it.

It really was! Made enough for another meal but picked away at it because it tasted so good :p
All you do is grate cauliflower into a dish and stick it in the microwave with a tight cover. Some people in my group add water but I find there's moisture enough in it anyway. I deshell some peas and throw them in too. About 5 minutes should do it. It doesn't have the same consistency as rice or swell like it but it's less stodgy and takes up room!

It really was! Made enough for another meal but picked away at it because it tasted so good :p
All you do is grate cauliflower into a dish and stick it in the microwave with a tight cover. Some people in my group add water but I find there's moisture enough in it anyway. I deshell some peas and throw them in too. About 5 minutes should do it. It doesn't have the same consistency as rice or swell like it but it's less stodgy and takes up room!

Ahhhhh that's great, thanks for that.

Looks gorgeous! Will definitely try cauliflower rice, and your curry looks lovely and thick, is it a sw recipe? X

It's worth a try so long as you don't expect it to actually be anything like rice in taste or texture!
Yep it's a sw recipe, I'll write it out if you'd like it? Worked out really well for me :D

It's worth a try so long as you don't expect it to actually be anything like rice in taste or texture!
Yep it's a sw recipe, I'll write it out if you'd like it? Worked out really well for me :D

Haha I don't mind cauliflower so it might be good! Normally when I have rice it's with something extra tasty so may mask the oddness..
I'd love the recipe if you wouldn't mind. I keep experimenting but have yet to find a yummy curry recipe! X

Haha I don't mind cauliflower so it might be good! Normally when I have rice it's with something extra tasty so may mask the oddness..
I'd love the recipe if you wouldn't mind. I keep experimenting but have yet to find a yummy curry recipe! X

So chicken tikka masala , free on EE and red, 8 on green. Makes 4

Mix up a bowl of yoghurt, lime and 3 tablespoons of curry powder to make it creamy. You can add red colouring if you want, I don't bother because it all ends up the same colour anyway. Mix in 4 chopped chicken breasts and leave in the fridge to marinate for a couple of hours - overnight if you can.
Add a finely chopped/grated onion to a frying pan with a few crushed garlic cloves, ginger, red chilli, cinnamon, cumin and the excess marinade if there is some, fry it for a couple of minutes, then add 250ml of water and about 6 tablespoons of tomato puree. Bring it to the boil then let it simmer for about 15 minutes,
You're supposed to then put the meat on sticks and under the grill for about 15 minutes but that's messy so I put it in my george foreman grill and it works fine, just to cook it through, then stir it all into the sauce. Take it all off the heat and stir in around 5 spoons of fromage frais.

And there you have it! I like to stir in a bit of natural yoghurt if it's not as creamy for whatever reason but the fromage frais at the end does a pretty good job.

Sitting here trying to cram knowledge into my head about horrifically complicated economic type stuff in the USSR and Russia. My modules this year sucked! So I made myself a fat free quorn sausage sandwich with ketchup. It might be 2.30 but that can be my hexb for yesterday lol.

Hmm. I kind of fancy something that I can't quite put my finger on. It's either pepsi max for the fizz, chocolate or chinese takeaway.
There aren't any shops within walking distance open though, perhaps that's a good thing!

Hmm. I kind of fancy something that I can't quite put my finger on. It's either pepsi max for the fizz, chocolate or chinese takeaway.
There aren't any shops within walking distance open though, perhaps that's a good thing!

You need the fake away book so you can have a sw friendly takeaway or go for low syn options....beef in mushroom is 4.5 and have it with boiled rice, chicken in mushroom is 5.5. You can have the pop and the chocolate if you syn it.

Back