Down with Spanx!

Hi all! Good plan Karen - I'll try that next time - this time I failed dismally again! I did manage to avoid the huge basket of Snickers, Mars and KitKats (*pats self on back*) and had a banana and a satsuma instead - but I did eat quite a few sandwiches and somehow, a few crisps sneaked their way onto my plate too!! Oops!

Thanks Patsy - and I completely empathise with your holiday pics tale! I'm always the one hiding behind someone else in photos - or else avoiding them altogether! It makes me sad sometimes when I look at holiday photos and I'm either not in them, or I delete them off the camera straight away because they're so horrid!

I'd never be able to do a feature in SW magazine - they'd never find any 'before' photos!!!!

Jen - I just got a cheap pedometer off ebay. It's not completely accurate (for example I've discovered that I apparently take 30 or so steps just pulling down my trousers to go to the loo!!!), but it does give me an idea of how many steps I'm (not) taking!

One thing I'm really looking forward to when I get this weight off is not having to wash my t-shirts every day - my boobs are so huge that I'm always spilling my dinner over them!!! (sounds kinky!) My ex once asked me whether it was a sneaky way of saving some for later!!:8855:

Your doin great spanx - hmmmm I guess these pedometers are all a bit dodgy - still worth it for a general idea!

Ack no...the devil's sandpit strikes again. Work buffets are the worst. But good for you for getting the ped, flips flops and getting in the mindset for upping your exercise levels.

In terms of food choices, by being concious of what your eating will make a difference. Ok you had a few off plan items but without the conciousness you could have had loads.

We're real life women, living in real life worlds. It would be great if we lived in bubbles with no temptations - but real life isn't like that. We do our best and I think SW isn't about dieting - it's about changing our habbits that have built up over a lifetime and that level of change takes time.

So petal - you work those flip flops and that ped!

Q

Thanks Jen and Queenie! Queenie, I totally agree - and that's why SW is the only diet that has ever worked for me. I couldn't contemplate doing one of the VLCDs, I need real food! So I shall just have to be content with taking the scenic route!

I've noticed while mooching about on the forum, that people's weight is no indicator of clothes size - we really are all different aren't we?! I carry most of my weight on my boobs (which are big anyway!) and my stomach. So, at just over 16st and just under 5' 5", I wear a size 24-26 on top and a 22 on the bottom. It's so depressing not being able to shop in 'normal-size' shops!

Today I bought 2 pairs of cropped trousers in the sale in the next size down (and not from the 'plus' range - yay!) I'm determined that by the time I next go on my hols (October) they will fit comfortably! Thought I'd better get them now as I noticed all the shops are starting to sell autumn gear - I hate that, makes the summer seem even shorter! Another pet hate is shops that start selling their Christmas range in August...!

Feeling lazy tonight, so I had some McCain's Rustic chips for tea instead of making some SW ones. They were very nice and only 1 syn per 100g raw weight! I'd recommend them to anyone as a useful freezer stand-by.

I also spent a couple of hours on the forum earlier looking at the syn value threads - how fab are they?! I made my shopping list and bought some low-syn treats too - mini twister ice creams in the freezer and a box of mikado in the cupboard for when the choccy-craving monster calls!

So, following on from yesterday's musings about different shapes and sizes, today I found the tape measure and took my measurements. I then immediately wished I hadn't. It's appalling:

Bust (fullest part) 52.5"
Bust (underneath) 42"
Waist 47"
Hips 52"

How on earth have I let myself get like this?!

Anyway, after moping around for a bit and making myself feel even worse by googling to see what size clothes those measurements relate to (26-28!), I picked myself up and made some syn-free BBQ sauce (recipe in the recipe section) to go with the chicken I'd bought for tea. It smelt lovely until I added the onion - which ruined it. I love onion, but it was completely overpowering. So that went in the bin!

Treated myself to an orange kitkat tonight (hopefully that's 5.5 syns, like the original flavour!), which was absolutely yummy! I love SW - how many other diets encourage you to have a kitkat?!

I'm finding it quite tough to have my syns - keep thinking I'm being naughty! And believe me, that's usually no concern of mine!

Must also try harder to have my HEXs - almost managed it today! So far today, a green day, I've had:

Brekkie:
Apple
Banana
Shape yoghurt

Lunch:
Baked potato
Beans
Sprinkle low low cheese (about half HEA)

Mid afternoon:
Alpen light (Choc and orange - yum!) (Half HEB)

Tea:
Ainsley Harriet golden rice
Chicken (HEB)
Broccoli
Peas

I find it hard to cook in the week. My son has had his tea by the time I get home, or at least a substantial snack at after-school club, so he doesn't want a cooked tea. Hard to cook for yourself when you're tired after a day at work, so having things like AH rice in the cupboard very handy!

So, following on from yesterday's musings about different shapes and sizes, today I found the tape measure and took my measurements. I then immediately wished I hadn't. It's appalling:

Bust (fullest part) 52.5"
Bust (underneath) 42"
Waist 47"
Hips 52"

How on earth have I let myself get like this?!

Hey babes...could have written that post about myself. I do think we 'let' ourselves get like this. I think modern living does this too us, were constantly bombarded on all sides. Food can become a coping mechanism for stress, lives are so hectic it's hard to cook from scratch.

SW encourages so many good habbits.

I hope that you sliding down the dress sizes and that all your good work reaps dividends.

Q

I sometimes struggle with syns but try to have maybe 2 Pink & whites (2.5 syns each) great for a snack with a cuppa and a real sweet fix

Thanks Q - I'm feeling pretty good this week - seem to have found some willpower from somewhere! Part of my problem is I eat when I'm sad, happy, stressed or relaxed! :eek:

Jen - what are pink and whites? Marshmallows at a guess - no good for me, can't stand them! I did manage to have some Mikados last night while I was watching all the skinnies on Britain's Next Top Model - and managed to stop at 10! They're great as a low-syn treat, much more chocolatey than I expected!

Ah yes they are two wafers with marshmallow in the middle - curly wurlys at 6.5 syns are good - put mine in the freezer so they take longer to eat!!!

Loving reading your diary Spanx.....I think we're all kindred spirits. It's refreshing to hear others are in the same boat as I can relate so much to what you are saying and the feelings and reasons why you are on a weight loss journey. You've done fab so far..good luck with further loses. I'll enjoy reading about your journey (love your sense of humour btw) x

Thanks Q - I'm feeling pretty good this week - seem to have found some willpower from somewhere! Part of my problem is I eat when I'm sad, happy, stressed or relaxed! :eek:

i am exactly the same, i've been having icelollies in the evening (mini twisters 2.5 and mini calypso 3.5) also had some of those kelloggs fibre plus, they are very chocolatey but fill you up.

Spanx, you are doing a fine job girl.

Keep up the good work xx

Well done spanx, your doing great hun, keep up the good work! Oh, i love mikados, they are sooo moreish though arent they! xx

Evening girlies and thank you for your lovely comments!

I am feeling especially virtuous today because not only have I resisted 3 (yes, 3!) lots of homemade cakes at work, but I've also been out for a meal this evening and reckon I managed on about 10 syns, which seeing as I'd had none all day is a-ok! *polishes halo*

I've got some mini twisters in the freezer Choc - they're the fruity ones though, not the choccy ones, so I'm hoping they're the same syn-wise. Not that I'm going to get to eat any of them, seeing as they're my son's favourite ice-creams!

The fruit mini twisters are 2.5syns hun - worth it though, lovely and refreshing x x

Hi Jen - thanks for the info - will have to try and make sure I get at least one then!

Ilovelife - I'm not sure yet - bit too early to tell! But they are very comfy to wear and I've noticed that my calf and thigh muscles ache a bit by the end of the day, so I presume they're doing some good! I also think they've improved my posture when I'm walking. I'm a convert anyway!

coolios keep us posted on the experience :D I was toing with the idea of getting a pai. I just wanted personal experience to see if they are worth the pennies!

heya spanx, hope you are well hun.

Dopiaza... serves 4 (yeah right!)

2 large onions chopped
1 tsp ground ginger
3-4 garlic cloves peeled
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground corriander
1/2 (half) tsp chilli powder
400g tinned tomatoes (i used 2 tins)
2 tsp chicken bovril (i used a chicken oxo cube)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 cardamom pods
2 cloves
2 bay leaves
salt

blend 1 onion, garlic and ginger, heat in pan with a dash of water. cook for 5 mins

add turmeric, cumin, corriander, chilli powder and fry for 5 more mins

add tinned toms, 6 fl oz of water (170ml), bovril, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay leaves and salt and cook until thickened.

add other onion, bring to boil and simmer for 20 mins. remove bayleaves before serving.

OR.... you can whack it all in a pot at the same time with chopped chicken breast and leave for an hour! i removed cardamom and cloves as well as bay leaves as they are awful to bite into.

ENJOY!!

Back