Down with Spanx!

Thanks JJ!

Unfortunately starvin marvin's come for a visit today, so I haven't stopped eating! Also, am off to a friend's house for dinner and she's just texted to say she can't be bothered to cook and is ordering in a takeaway! Eeek!

Today looks like this so far:

Green day:

Brekkie:
1 banana
1 activia ff forest fruits yoghurt
1 alpen light (half HEB)

Lunch:
1 baked potato
Baked beans
Cheese (HEA)

Snack:
1 Alpen light bar (half HEB)
1 activia ff cherry yoghurt
1 apple

Dinner:
????? Probably indian, definitely at least 15 syns!!

Wish me luck for WI tomorrow - will need it after today!

indian curry....omg. I hope you enjoy whatever delights you are having without me! selfish, thats what you are! good luck with weigh in though...as sian says, im sure you will do well :D x

Don't worry too much. An Indian should have worked it's way through your system before you weigh in :sick0019: :rotflmao:

Awww, thanks all - but unfortunately, tonight turned into a chinese blowout of epic proportions! Spare ribs, yuk sung and chow mein... aaaagggghhhh! (It was yum though! Although to be honest, I feel a bit crap and bloated now!)

Let's see what the scales think tomorrow...if I dare to get on them! :eek:

Good luck hunnie x

What a rubbish WI day - after all that work this week, still only lost half a pound. That takeaway last night has got a lot to answer for. :mad:

I was really gutted this morning after WI. I had one of those 'sod it, if it's not coming off I might as well give up now' moments. :cry:

I didn't though. I watched a couple of Biggest Loser episodes I've got on V+ for inspiration and then made a huge quorn and veggie syn-free curry.

So, after losing only 2lbs in 3 weeks I need a new plan for this week - any suggestions?! I am determined to lose another 1st 4lbs before my holiday at the end of October...

Last edited:
I have been finding keeping a food diary quite cathartic, so although my week's mini-challenge is over, I thought I'd continue.

Saturday, Green day:

Brekkie:
1 banana
1 Activia ff cherry yoghurt

Lunch:
1 sweet and sour mugshot
6 ryvita crispbreads (HEB)
3 laughing cow extra light triangles (half HEA)

Dinner:
Quorn and veggie curry (Quorn chicken style pieces, chopped tomotoes, new potatoes, broccoli, green beans, courgettes, mushrooms, leeks, onion, curry powder, hot pepper sauce, fresh coriander, oxo cube)
Basmati rice

Snacks:
2 plums
1 Alpen light (half HEB)
1 choc and orange Kitkat (5.5 syns)

Sunday: EE day

Brunch:
1 banana
1 activia ff forest fruits yoghurt
1 choc and orange Alpen light (Half HEB)

Snack:
2 plums
1 choc and orange Alpen light (other half HEB)

Dinner:
Roasted ham
Baked potato
Cheese (HEA)
Huge salad
Strawberries
Pineapple
Mullerlight vanilla yoghurt

Snack:
Plums
Cadbury's flake (9 syns)

Last edited:
I have also bribed my son (with a possible £5 reward!) into eating five fruit and veg a day this week! Let's see how he gets on...

I was watching an old episode of 'You are what you eat' earlier (Can't stand Gillian McKeith, but think I am becoming addicted to diet and exercise shows!!!). Anyway, she analysed the food a family with two young boys was eating and it made me think long and hard about what I allow my son to eat.

Now, my son gets by no means as many cakes and sweets etc as those boys did, but there are probably very few days where he doesn't have a 'treat' of some kind. He also eats sugary breakfast cereals (I let him get away with it because it's the only way to get milk into him!) and is far too fond of pizza - so I'm now on a mission to improve his eating habits too!

heya spanx.

I love all my diet shows and I have the hots for Bob Harper BIG TIME! Anyways, I was going to say that prehaps the takeaway you had is what you needed to give your metabolism a thorough kick start. You may find you have a really good result next WI because of it. have you upped your water intake and gone through the usual steps like that? Im gonna be doing another fish week soon (once Im done with all the chicken and steak in the freezer!)

Hope you're ok anyways chick, glad you aint letting a slow couple of weeks defeat you - thats something to celebrate in itself! xxxx

Thanks Karen - I can but hope that something gives me a kickstart after a few slow weeks! I know that I'm never one of those people who manages to lose weight quickly, but 2lbs in 3 weeks was really getting me down...

I have upped my water intake, but have also realised that I'd been drinking too much coffee. I gave coffee up completely about 2 years ago - we'd had a new coffee bar open at work and I was knocking back about 4 or 5 big coffees a day at work, and another couple from my tassimo! I went for a colonic and the woman said coffee is 'the devil's bean!' because of what it does to your metabolism and your body overall. When I gave it up, I had awful withdrawal symptoms, raging headaches and real mood swings! Anyway, I started having the odd cup or two a couple of months ago and it's been slowly increasing, so from today, it's back to the green tea - let's see if that helps!

I'm going to try and do more EE/Red days this week, eat fewer carbs and see if that helps too. Trouble is, I've only done one day and I'm already feeling carb-deprived!

Hi spanx..

I know its not carbs -but have you tried roasting veggies to have with your meals -much more satisfying than steamed veggies ;)
I stick to red days at the moment -so if I want to use a heB for my porridge and say I want wedges or potatoes for dinner -then at lunch time I will roast onions, carrots, swede, peppers in 1/4tsp oil and have that with fish/meat -you get that lovely warm filling effect that you get with spuddlies:p ...
Also I know its 4.5syns -but I make a yorkshire pudding ( 1/2 an 8" one) -and have that with roasts and veggies and then I find I can do without potatoes -which means I can use that heB somewhere else ;)
Hope that ramble makes sense :eek:
If you think of a challenge and you want company -give me a yell :D
Hope this week goes well and you get the result you deserve ;)

oohh just thought -those wraps I make are 5.5 syns and won't use your heB either lol

Last edited:
Thanks Karen - I can but hope that something gives me a kickstart after a few slow weeks! I know that I'm never one of those people who manages to lose weight quickly, but 2lbs in 3 weeks was really getting me down...

I have upped my water intake, but have also realised that I'd been drinking too much coffee. I gave coffee up completely about 2 years ago - we'd had a new coffee bar open at work and I was knocking back about 4 or 5 big coffees a day at work, and another couple from my tassimo! I went for a colonic and the woman said coffee is 'the devil's bean!' because of what it does to your metabolism and your body overall. When I gave it up, I had awful withdrawal symptoms, raging headaches and real mood swings! Anyway, I started having the odd cup or two a couple of months ago and it's been slowly increasing, so from today, it's back to the green tea - let's see if that helps!

I'm going to try and do more EE/Red days this week, eat fewer carbs and see if that helps too. Trouble is, I've only done one day and I'm already feeling carb-deprived!

Hiya hun,

I drink loads of coffee, expresso mostly. I know its meant to be bad for you as far as keeping you awake, but why else is it bad for you?

Thanks Capricorn - as usual, some really useful ideas there! I will pop on over to your thread and pinch the wrap recipe and also some of your lovely red recipes too!

I do like roasted veggies, but whenever I have tried to cook them, they either turn out burnt, or mushy... How long do you cook them for and on what temperature? And have you ever roasted courgette? Only I have a load of them in the fridge, as my Dad picked them on a friend's allotment!

Hi Patsy hun, according to my 'colonic woman', coffee dehydrates you and especially your skin - it can exacerbate wrinkles!!! The freshly ground stuff (and let's face it, is there really any other kind worth drinking?!) is really hard to digest, so if you've got a sluggish system, it makes it much worse...also it's very acidic and can irritate your intestines. When I went to see her (I suffer from IBS and have Crohn's in the family, so thought I'd get checked out!) she said the two best things I could do to help my sluggish system were to stop drinking coffee and fizzy drinks. I have to admit, that I felt much better when I did and, when I think about it, I have felt more tired and irritable since I took up coffee-drinking again! Unfortunately, think I've seen it as a bit of a chocolate and cake substitute, especially at work, but going to try and cut down again now!

Had a little look at your diary , I am not an expert(!!!) but do you get enough veg at your lunches? Maybe a little salad with everything you having at work for your lunch would help?
Anyway you are doing very well, so many fatty pounds come off you already!!
Good luck and keep up a good work!!!

Thanks Kasia - I know my lunches are samey and with no veg, but I eat in the canteen at work and they put butter on the veg and dressings on the salad!!!

You're right though - I need to be eating more veg at lunch time - will try to take some to work with me for the rest of the week!

You know, I'm still really cross about that takeaway! It didn't even taste that nice! But what I'm really cross about is that I let myself sabotage my good work so easily. I could have told my friend that I didn't want a takeaway, eaten at home and met her later, or even suggested I cook something for her, but no, I told myself that I couldn't do anything about it and would therefore have to have a takeaway... And then it was such a let down, in more ways than one! Still, valuable lesson learned methinks!

Anyway, onto today's food diary. I have tried to have less carbs today and have also taken Bev's advice and am dropping bananas for a week. So, today looked like this:

Monday: EE day

Brekkie:
Pineapple
Strawberries
Muller light strawberry yoghurt

Lunch:
2 egg omelette with ham, mushroom and onion
Large salad
1 apple

Dinner:
3 sainsbury's BGTY cumberland sausages (1.5 syns)
200g McCains rustic oven chips (2 syns)
Large salad

Snack:
Strawberries
Pineapple
Mullerlight vanilla yoghurt

Hi Patsy hun, according to my 'colonic woman', coffee dehydrates you and especially your skin - it can exacerbate wrinkles!!! The freshly ground stuff (and let's face it, is there really any other kind worth drinking?!) is really hard to digest, so if you've got a sluggish system, it makes it much worse...also it's very acidic and can irritate your intestines. When I went to see her (I suffer from IBS and have Crohn's in the family, so thought I'd get checked out!) she said the two best things I could do to help my sluggish system were to stop drinking coffee and fizzy drinks. I have to admit, that I felt much better when I did and, when I think about it, I have felt more tired and irritable since I took up coffee-drinking again! Unfortunately, think I've seen it as a bit of a chocolate and cake substitute, especially at work, but going to try and cut down again now!

Gawd... I didnt know all that, I love it though:( and it is so true that I use it instead of chocolate. I will make a REALLY strong coffee (always black) and sit and enjoy it like I would chocolate. Plus I dont like tea without milk so drink black coffee instead of tea. But I will be keeping an eye on how much I drink from now on... thanks hun x

Well, another night out to contend with tonight, but I don't think I did too badly!

Tuesday: EE day

Brekkie:
1 apple
1 mullerlight raspberry and cranberry
1 Alpen light (Half HEX B)
2 plums

Lunch:
1 baked potato
Tuna
Salad
1 tbsp mayo (think it was light, but not sure, so going to say 4 syns)

Snack:
Plums

Dinner:
Chicken (skin removed)
A few chips (going to say 5 syns)
Salad, (including couscous, can't be absolutely sure what was in it, so allow 3 syns!)
1 tbsp coleslaw in light dressing (3 syns?)

Total syns for the day: About 15...

Total syns for week so far (4 days gone): 33

hey... 3 pounds over 2 weeks isn't that bad. I'm losing about 1 pound a week at the moment... it's not great, but at least it's going the right direction.

do you like fish? I've read from this forum somewhere that having "fishy weeks" help great losses. you might want to try if fish is your thing. what I always find useful is buying lots of fruit at the beginning of the week before I get into work, and munch on that during the week. My favourites are the ready-to-eat melon and grapes / fresh pineapples boxes. They are 2 for 3 quid at Sainsbury, perfect for lazy people like myself, and that really fills you up too so I sometimes don't even need my alpen light bar during the day.

Good luck :)

Back