Dress sizes and weight loss

Thank you hun I am pretty chuffed with my loss so far.
I can lose weight fairly easily but I get bored after a little while and fall off the wagon!

I've also found that with smaller clothes sizes people tend to lose 1 stone and so 1 dress size but as you get bigger you need to lose more weight to drop a dress size, not sure why that is.

I think the reason I dropped 4 stone and had only dropped 1 size is I'm an apple shape (so big middle) and the weight I was losing was coming off other areas (legs, face, chest, arms but NOT my belly) so not affecting the size clothes I was wearing....hope that makes some sense

I think I loose weight fairly easily too but I've got soo much to lose it becomes a very depressing slog and i get bored..

And what you said about youe size loss makes total sense if you read my last post!

1 dress size to 1 stone seems to be the norm for the regular sizes 8-14ish.

I think we have to remember that it's allover weight not just the tum (sigh) and it's not until you get to "normal" (I HATE that word) that it's about waist to hip ratio and inches to sculpt and not lose.

As with regards to higher weighs to dress size (more than 1 stone per size) I think it's to do with how the fat is stored. Don't quote me but I read we store a lot more internal fat as you get heavier as.

Also as we get heavier we put on muscle as well as fat. Muscle is leaner than fat, not lighter, (show here 5 lbs of Fat vs. 5 lbs of Muscle - YouTube) so more muscle takes up less space per pound than fat does, and at say 300 pounds we need a lot of dense muscle to lug the fat, So we get heavier but not necessarily bigger.

Which would also explain why fitness people are much heavier than you would expect, thou slender.

Hope I havn't bored you with stuff you already knew, more voicing my own thoughts to myself...I need a blog.. lol

Last edited:
clothes sizes are so strange!!
lol
i started oct 25th size 22/24. i have lost 19lb and can get into a size 16

My sizes are all over the place :(
My stats currently are:
5'1"
83 kilo's
Some shops, I wear a M top/dress, others an L.
Jeans, is a real pain in the ass, sometimes a 14 fits, other times a 16 is too small or barely fits but 18 way way too large, I just don't get it.

clothes sizes are so strange!!
lol
i started oct 25th size 22/24. i have lost 19lb and can get into a size 16

Hi KimB, thanks for joining in.
I know, dress size is a total kicker!

I started this for rough estimates so I'm gratefull for all info!! Keep up the loss :D

My sizes are all over the place :(
My stats currently are:
5'1"
83 kilo's
Some shops, I wear a M top/dress, others an L.
Jeans, is a real pain in the ass, sometimes a 14 fits, other times a 16 is too small or barely fits but 18 way way too large, I just don't get it.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

The reason for my question was to get a rough estimate for myself and others but I did not expect solid facts since clothes shops vary so much,which is completly daft! A couple of posts have been made about m&s trousers so that could be a good general indicator.

You are loosing weight though so I'm sure you will find a size you are happy with!
Keep it up :)

You're only about a stone and a half from your goal weight and I hear the last stone is the one you have to work on most because it is really about toning up. Think of all that awsome muscle you are putting on which as I understand it in turn will burn fat more efficiantly not that you can possibly have much left! :jelous:

I personally think inches are probably more important when you are nearly there as muscle will look a lot sleeker than wobbly bits. Rock that DVD girl! :D

Bravo you!

Yep inches are definitely the most important thing for me now & hopefully the scales will catch up. This last stone & half is definitely proving tricky to shift but I refuse to give up

1 dress size to 1 stone seems to be the norm for the regular sizes 8-14ish.

Just to add total confusion but also to reenforce the important of inch loss, when I dropped from a size 14 to a 12 I actually only lost 1.5lbs.... :eek:

I'm 5"5 and before I started WW I weighed 20st and was wearing size 22 trousers, which I could not fasten (they did zip up though), I refused to go up to a size 24 (which were way to big around my thighs anyway) and size 22/24 tops. I am now 17st 12lbs and my size 22 trousers are getting too big, but I have not gone down a size yet and my tops are looser, but again no drop in size :(

Just to add total confusion but also to reenforce the important of inch loss, when I dropped from a size 14 to a 12 I actually only lost 1.5lbs.... :eek:

Wow you must have lost sooo much fat and put on loads of muscle. Super good for you health wise.
The video I posted above about the volume of a lb of fat vs a lb of muscle shows this.

Well done you!

I'm 5"5 and before I started WW I weighed 20st and was wearing size 22 trousers, which I could not fasten (they did zip up though), I refused to go up to a size 24 (which were way to big around my thighs anyway) and size 22/24 tops. I am now 17st 12lbs and my size 22 trousers are getting too big, but I have not gone down a size yet and my tops are looser, but again no drop in size :(

Hi there Clartylou.
Thank you for the info.

If you have a look back through the discussions on this post It would seem likely you are due to a drop a dress size pretty soon as it does seem to be around 2.5-3stone a size when around the 22 bracket compared to 1 stone a size when around the 12 bracket.

Even without the dress sizes you have still lost lots of weight, you much be dead pleased! But I'm reading also frustrated as it's not showing in your clothes size yet.

If you read sweet pink's posts she now finding it's inches lost over sizes or weight and I think every little bit is brilliant!

Keep it up :D

I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

The reason for my question was to get a rough estimate for myself and others but I did not expect solid facts since clothes shops vary so much,which is completly daft! A couple of posts have been made about m&s trousers so that could be a good general indicator.

You are loosing weight though so I'm sure you will find a size you are happy with!
Keep it up :)

It's mainly because each shop has different measurements, and often the measurements charts they provide don't really work.
Especially Dorothy Perkins confuses me.
I have a pair of skinny jeans, bought last year, size 12 and they are saggy and loose (need a belt otherwise I'll moon my knickers) but right now, I'm wearing their stretch bootcut in size 16....(bought in december)which only fit now I've lost weight cause 2 months ago, I couldn't even close the button.
I'm also a size 12 in their basic tops.
Pretty much a solid 14 in jeans/pants when it comes to New Look, tops 12.

It's Especially Dorothy Perkins confuses me.
I have a pair of skinny jeans, bought last year, size 12 and they are saggy and loose (need a belt otherwise I'll moon my knickers) but right now, I'm wearing their stretch bootcut in size 16....(bought in december)which only fit now I've lost weight cause 2 months ago, I couldn't even close the button.

Hey Oerba_dia_Vanille, and thanks for the additional, very confusing info. From your post I am guessing... avoid Dorothy perkins if you want to leave the shop sane, got it. Lol :D

I guess some shops size up so people can buy a smaller size and feel good and buy more of their clothes... where as other shops seem to prefer to undercut so no one fits in and they remain more exclusive (I have a designer friend who advises me this goes on especially amongst designer labels).

It all seems bloody stupid to me. If a person feels they look good and they feel healthy then who cares what the size is?! Me personally, I just want to fit in something smaller!

And wouldn't it make faaar more sence for all the companys to standardise? So a 14 is a 14 a 20 is a 20. I genuinly think people would buy even MORE clothes if they knew the same size would fit from everywhere instead of all that tedious trying on in hot shop changing rooms.

Hey Oerba_dia_Vanille, and thanks for the additional, very confusing info. From your post I am guessing... avoid Dorothy perkins if you want to leave the shop sane, got it. Lol :D

I guess some shops size up so people can buy a smaller size and feel good and buy more of their clothes... where as other shops seem to prefer to undercut so no one fits in and they remain more exclusive (I have a designer friend who advises me this goes on especially amongst designer labels).

It all seems bloody stupid to me. If a person feels they look good and they feel healthy then who cares what the size is?! Me personally, I just want to fit in something smaller!

And wouldn't it make faaar more sence for all the companys to standardise? So a 14 is a 14 a 20 is a 20. I genuinly think people would buy even MORE clothes if they knew the same size would fit from everywhere instead of all that tedious trying on in hot shop changing rooms.

Haha lol, you're welcome ;)

Ahh yes, vanity sizing.
It's true, many shops do that!
I prefer them to be honest about sizing, if I'm a 16, what's wrong with that?
I don't need to be fooled into thinking I am smaller and I won't feel ashamed, and I'm sure most people feel the same way.

We don't have DP here, as I live in Holland.
So I have to order :(
I do quite like their jeans cause they are good quality and the right price, and most importantly, come in short sizes which we lack here in the Netherlands.
I'm only 5'1", and the regular jeans/pants length here seems to be between 80 and 83 cm, and I need 78 cm (28"?) or else I'll be walking or tripping on them :p
My guess is, that maybe they stopped vanity sizing as the skinnies are almost from 2 years ago, and this bootcut style very new.

Still confused here lol.

Haha lol, you're welcome ;)

I'm a 16, what's wrong with that?
I don't need to be fooled into thinking I am smaller and I won't feel ashamed, and I'm sure most people feel the same way.

Nothing at all, uk average after all... and I'm 5,9, my trousers are always too short! lol

19st 13lbs - size 24
High 18st - size 22
Currently 17st 12 and I'm a 18 in most tops, sometimes 20. Bottoms vary depending on style between a 20 and 22 sometimes i'm a comfortable 20, sometimes they fit but not comfortably enough for me to feel ok wearing them so it's a 22 still but they're a bit too big.

I'm 5'6" and weighed 214lb when I joined this site. Clothing wise I wear size 18/20on top and size 16 in jeans and 18 in trousers.

I am 5'5" 13.12 and size 18's are a little loose. I cant bear tight clothes though.

I think its a case of finding which shops pattern grade is closest to your shape.

I trained and worked in manufacturing and when we took orders to produce knitwear Next size 12 were different to the size 12 m&s required which were different to the size 12 we made for river Island. The shops gave us measurements to their specifications. That is the size we manufactured them in. Yet the same size 12 label would adorn the back neck of all these different sized garments.

Jilly thats interesting in relation to different stores stating their specific measurements. I am a size 14 when im a stone heavier or at current weight and in designer cuts need a 14 - 16 but everyone thinks Im smaller so who knows what size I really am :) I always pull a 14 off the shelf and if too big try a size smaller and if too small get the next size up but I think the size is more a starting point now. I dont think this issue can be resolved until they use standard measurements for each size xoxo

Jeans shopping I vary from a 10 to a 14 - in the same shop! I average out at about a 12 but I have some cloths that are a 10 and fit quiet well. I defiantly think there should be an industry standard or something so that one size in every shop will fit me!

At 14st 2lb, and 5' 7", I'm a size 18 on top and 16/18 bottom.

My problem is I carry loads of weight around my middle so my size 18 trousers fit around the waist but are baggy around the bum and hips! Another half stone off and I'll be able to get back into my size 16's ........:)

Back