Dukan diet and one cheat day?

also depends what you drinking and what ingriedients are in there ...and in some cases what hidden nasties !!!!
True though i am a cheap date nowdays lol

This is taken from the Cambridge Diet forum.

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!
Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!

This is taken from the Cambridge Diet forum.

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!
Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!
Thats also a normal effect of anyone drink alchol ........Thats why its licenced for sale ...even if not in ketosis....remember never drink on an empty stomach and most people in ket can only manage a couple of drinks, wich then brings them out of ket ( sugar content in alcohol dependent )
no one is debating whether or not its a no no , everyone is an adult so makes there choice .....but drink means out of ket , which inturn means having to get back in, and all the related problems there , too many times leads the body to get confused

no one is debating whether or not its a no no , everyone is an adult so makes there choice .....but drink means out of ket , which inturn means having to get back in, and all the related problems there , too many times leads the body to get confused

This is why, when I first read about Dukan, I knew I wanted to try it - because he works from the assumption that we are all rational adults able to listen to information and make our own choices.

Too many diets and health professionals treat people (particularly women!) as dull-witted lazy children and/or untrustworthy sinners, berating us for enjoying food and drink, promising us pre-packaged sweeties if we are good at the end of the week, or holding out a lifetime of penance without cheese, or wine, or coffee.

Sorry - rant over.

this is true ....dukan does not say never , just not through his first two phase ( which some people like to "bend " )
I dont see the harm of absinance (sp) for phase 1 and 2 , but if people have to have that drink that bit of cake ect ....then they shouldnt then moan the diet isnt working how it should and nmaybe go and try WW or which ever that does dangle the cheat carrot.....

I went out drinking last night, and it didn't end well! I didn't even drink as much as I normally would. By the end of the night I couldn't stand or walk and was violently sick :| I'm now covered in thousands of bruises and feel like I'm dying :( Don't think I will be out drinking any time soon lol.

and if you were in ket you will be out of it now

Rachel: The description of your post-dissertation "bender" and the aftermath made me simultaneously smile and wince. I do remember (well, sort of remember) similar post-grad events.

I hope you won't be offended if I tell you I have printed your post out and pinned it to me wall to remind me not to drink (at least until I am comfortably in conso)

Rachel: The description of your post-dissertation "bender" and the aftermath made me simultaneously smile and wince. I do remember (well, sort of remember) similar post-grad events.

I hope you won't be offended if I tell you I have printed your post out and pinned it to me wall to remind me not to drink (at least until I am comfortably in conso)

LOL :giggle: I'm still ill today. I keep finding more bruises (I don't think there's any part of my body that doesn't contain bruises). After I said 'I wont be drinking for ages', I remembered It's my bf's birthday celebration thing on Saturday at his friends pub, an all day and nighter, I'm scared lol, I think he is too :D

Uh oh - how are you planning to navigate saturday night? Will you be sticking to water and diet coke?

If your BF is scared - why not give him a special, intimate "private party" at home (interpret that any way you like!) and skip the all-nighter with his mates.

Uh oh - how are you planning to navigate saturday night? Will you be sticking to water and diet coke?

I might have a few vodka and diet cokes, with loads of water inbetween.

If your BF is scared - why not give him a special, intimate "private party" at home (interpret that any way you like!) and skip the all-nighter with his mates.

We have enough intimate parties ;) no, only joking haha. He's just scared of what will happen to me haha, because he will be the one who has to put up with me if I'm a drunken mess (which I'm not going to be this time :D). There's gonna be a bbq too (which I probably wont be able to eat).

A bbq is fine on dukan - stick to steak, homemade burgers, chicken and salad! Easiest food ever :D

Saturday is another matter - you said you weren't going to be drinking again for some time, and here you are, making plans for just one week later to drink more. If you're serious about losing the weight on dukan you need to find a way to navigate these social occasions without drinking. The sugar ins alcohol is not dukan friendly, nor is the 'sod it i'll eat what i like' feeling you get when you're drunk. If you truly can't take booze of the menu for the forseeable future you might be better looking at a different diet.

A bbq is fine on dukan - stick to steak, homemade burgers, chicken and salad! Easiest food ever :D

Saturday is another matter - you said you weren't going to be drinking again for some time, and here you are, making plans for just one week later to drink more. If you're serious about losing the weight on dukan you need to find a way to navigate these social occasions without drinking. The sugar ins alcohol is not dukan friendly, nor is the 'sod it i'll eat what i like' feeling you get when you're drunk. If you truly can't take booze of the menu for the forseeable future you might be better looking at a different diet.

It's my bf's 25th birthday and I'm not going to be a party pooper (but i'm not going to be getting hammered). If it was just a typical social outing, I wouldn't be drinking alcohol (like usual), or I wouldn't go. I don't really eat anything that bad when drunk, i've never really been one for eating after a night out anyway. I'm commited to diets as I've lost a lot of weight before (nearly all of which I kept off). Also, I've lost 10lb on Dukan so far, so I think that's pretty good :)

Regarding the bbq's, I like to make my own :) But I'm guessing the food at the pub bbq (on bf's birthday) won't be Dukan style and I don't eat burgers or sausage anyway (unless I've made the burgers myself out of lean minced steak - I don't trust mystery meat ;) lol), so I wouldn't be eating it anyway.

And tbh I haven't drank for well over a month or so before starting Dukan, because of its calorific value. I know enough about nutrition ;) (i'm thinking of doing some further education on it) but sometimes you just have to let your hair down :D

sometimes you just have to let your hair down :D

I agree. That's why I chose to follow the Dukan diet because it holds out the promise of a life with parties at a definite point in the future. I have my first gala meal planned, and it starts with an ice-cold bone-dry gin martini with an olive.

But I have accepted that to reach that frosty glass of gorgeous oblivion - and to drink it while wearing the dress I want to wear, and the weight I want to be, well - I have to put some other transistory pleasures on hold. I have had to say no to some invitation, and, when I've said yes to others, nursed a glass of sparkling water through the evening. The people I care about, and who care about me understand what I am doing, and why.

but sometimes you just have to let your hair down :D

Yes that's how most of us ended up overweight in the first place! I have now realised that I don't have to drink or overeat to have fun!

Too true atropos, I've just had to turn down an invite to my cousins birthday as it involves dinner at a totally unsuitable restaurant and a night out drinking cocktails. I'd love to go but getting to my goal is more important to me right now. It basically boils down to what you want more: the wine/cake or a slinky waistline!

It basically boils down to what you want more: the wine/cake or a slinky waistline!

The fabulous thing about Dukan is you could have both - but if you are prepared to postpone the wine and cake until you have the slinky waistline.

Back