Dukan Live Chats in a Nutshell

These crazy live chats give me a good giggle on the train!! Any comments from me are at the frustration at the mentors of these chats inconsistencies not aimed at you :) xxx

Oh yes, I totally knew where you were coming from Jan, wasn't meaning that at all! Just would hate to think there's someone out there desperately trying to follow all the advice when it's clearly contradictory (and sometimes a wee bit mad...)!

CheeseGirl and Pauline, you guys crack me up! Perhaps a breadfruit and parsnip cake to hand out to your non-Dukan friends? (Or in fact, your non-Dukan enemies, unless you want your friends to disown you I guess...)

I didn't know swede wasn't allowed. thankfully never bought it I don't think LOL.

hilarious, even i would have guessed the answer to that

• And here are the key points from the live chat of Friday, the 27th of July.
You know you're in for a dodgy chat when the very first question is:

"Hi I am going into the consolidation stage, can I eat the following? 1. Rice 2. Crisps 3. Noodles 4. White bread 5. Cream 6. Cheese cakes or other cakes". Now, I'd sort of forgive a complete newbie who was about to start attack a question like this. But if you're going onto consolidation, doesn't it imply you've been through both attack and cruise? And that you have some basic understanding of the diet? Well, clearly not. Bless the moderator for patiently answering what is allowed on consolidation, rather than just screaming 'NO, NO, OF COURSE YOU CAN'T HAVE CRISPS AND CREAM AND CAKE, EXCEPT AT YOUR CELEBRATION MEAL. STOP ASKING RIDICULOUS QUESTIONS. NOW GO AND BUY THE BOOK. AND DON'T JUST BUY IT. READ IT!' Hmm. Maybe I won't sit by the phone waiting for the call asking me to become a Dukan moderator....

- On consolidation, your weight will fluctuate throughout the week. This is normal as you are in the process of consolidating it. As long as you stay the same Friday to Friday (i.e. the day after your PP day), you'll be ok.
- Plain Quorn is ok but not 'cooked' products like Quorn sausages which contain non-Dukan ingredients
- Don't abuse the diet by having extra PP days as your body can get used to them and won't react any more. If you're worried about stagnating, you're better off cutting out all tolerates for a few days.
- You can have your fruits, on condo, whenever you want, although probably best to avoid them just before bed
- The type of alternation you do with PP and PV days (i.e 1 day PP/1 day PV or 2 days PP/2 days PV will not affect your weight loss
- Xylitol is an acceptable sugar replacement

• Ok, here's the main points from today's chat, the 5th Sept 2012. What gems will they bless us with??

It's starting well with this fantastic comment "Hi Dukan team. I just started a new job, and not to seem weird on the first day, I ate 2 pieces of bread" [I don't even know where to start with the comments on that. But frankly, if you don't want to seem weird, this may not be the diet for you.....(Ref: thread started by Caro on things you only know if you're doing Dukan....) Am still shaking my head a bit with this one so will just leave it for you all to enjoy!]

More great comments, this time from someone asking if the yoghurt is stopping them from entering ketosis and therefore losing weight. The moderator very sweetly points out that it's more likely to be the alcohol that they have reported to have been drinking....

- Make sure your dairy products have up to 2% of fat and no more than 7% of sugar. [Has this 7% sugar thing been mentioned before? I can't remember it but that doesn't actually mean much!!]

Oh lawks, this live chat is brilliant, I'm just going to have to quote this next question
  • Suze15 : Can I cook my courgettes, tomatoes, onion in 1 Cal and how many squirts is ok?

• sevie : Hi Suze15, I'm really sorry but I did not comprehend your question, do you mind rephrasing it?

That really tickled me - obviously if you live in the UK you know what 1 cal is and why she's talking about squirts, but I totally see how someone who speaks English as a second language and doesn't actually live here might struggle to work out what it all means. Brilliant.

- The two slices of bread you're allowed in consolidation are supposed to weight 40-60g.
    - Someone has found a cheese with 1% fat in it which is permitted in unlimited quantities. Apparently it says on the package that it is whey from goat milk and salt. Per 100g it has 129 kcal, proteins 30g, carbs 0g, of which sugar 0g ,fat 1% of which trans 0.6g, fibre 0g and salt 2g.

I didn't know swede wasn't allowed. thankfully never bought it I don't think LOL.

DF, I think swede IS allowed, it's just parsnips that are too carby....

Joodlebob, the thing about the spray would be understandable if this question did not pop up at least once a week on that chat. You'd think they'd have got it by now :)

You would think that...yes!

right hang on the 2 slices of bread wighing 40 - 60g that is for both slices yes???(and yes this is spoken in spanish accent like manwell out of fawlty towers) (sorry so blonde i know but conso prospect scaring the crap outta me)

And an average slice used to weigh about 30g...don't know if they still do LOL.

Thanks re swede, I actually still went ahead and bought one today. Whilst in Asda I actually stood and looked at the swede and turnip. I've always called them the other way round, so now I know. Thanks for info re parsnips. Rarely use them, only ever did when I did mash potato.

I use 1 cal equivalent that I bought in Aldi. I spray about 5 sprays around the pan....LOL.

DF, aldi one spray is the best, love the spray on it....I'm easily pleaded xxx

LOL Sid, our aldi was supposed to have it in a couple of months ago, they never got it. Usually 1.99 a tin. I popped in on the off chance last month and there they were all reduced to 79p. Bought four LOL !!!!

right hang on the 2 slices of bread wighing 40 - 60g that is for both slices yes???(and yes this is spoken in spanish accent like manwell out of fawlty towers) (sorry so blonde i know but conso prospect scaring the crap outta me)

Charly, it sounds to me like they mean both slices together should weigh max 60g, yes. Does anyone else know for definite? I do know they're small slices....

(Personally, I've struggled so much with bread that I'm still not having it daily on conso....)

• Here's the main points from the live chat on Thursday 6th Sept.
    - You can make jam from goji berries [recipe not given though]
    - You can have 3 cans of diet coke a day
    - You can have tofu on PP days

That's all that was new/interesting. By the way, all I'm doing here is summarising the main points as I see them from the live chat transcripts that appear on the UK Dukan site most days of the week. I haven't signed up or paid anything so worth a look if you're interested. I've just been summarising them as there's such a lot of daft questions and much repetition, so I thought it would help us to have that all cut out but the rest recorded. You can find the live chats at: Dukan Diet Official Site: Weight Loss Experts - Know How To Lose Weight They're usually on the right hand side of the page, you'll see them scrolling down until you hover over them.

Jx

Joodlebob, you a lawyer? Just reading your disclaimer there :D
I love you're doing this, I read the chats regularly but it's nice to be able to share our awe at the absurdity of some of the questions (and answers, for that matter). But for the sake of not seeming weird I'm off to eat 2 slices of bread now :)

Joodle said:
Charly, it sounds to me like they mean both slices together should weigh max 60g, yes. Does anyone else know for definite? I do know they're small slices....

(Personally, I've struggled so much with bread that I'm still not having it daily on conso....)

I always thought total 40-60g. Found that was 1 slice of my loaf, or 4 of a load my mum had without crusts!

Id rather not have it if its those crappy nimble sized slices! Can make Dukan more dense than that!

In the book it just says 2 slices of wholemeal bread. I can't see any mention of 40-60g. I'm going to ignore the weight limit and carry on eating my 2 slices of medium sliced wholemeal bread.

BREAD
I investigated the bread a long time ago. Yes it's 60 grammes in total - info added later for clarity in some non-print source. Yes the 2010 book says 2 slices - but it's based on French 'Pain complet', and what I remember from the bakers is quite a bit whiter (think crusty white load with added wheat bran), and a different shape so the slices are quite a bit smaller. I pursued this because my bread is normally home made stoneground wholemeal or rye, much denser than the industrial supermarket loaf, so I only ever had one slice of *my* bread *and* I had to be careful to slice it thin enough.

But if the two slices works for you then that's great and stick with it. I have a bit of an *issue* with bread portions because I like it too much so I've always had to keep an eye on it, so *ONE* it a good rule for me. As I got more confident (and kept losing in my first bout of conso) I 'diversified' into other bread items, so I would have one small roll, one bagel, one tortilla wrap, one pita bread (all WM) which all seem to fall into the 60-80g range, which made life a lot more interesting.

OATBRAN QUANTITIES
Another inconsistency that's been done to death and look like the chat moderators are not all singing from the UK hymn sheet. The original French instructions use *dessert spoons*, that's where the 2.5 for conso comes from afaik. but have a look at the weights they quote. I'm sure my huge TB is 15gr. And do you heap or not? Weighing at the start is helpful to find out what kind of spoon you are using.
Most people are best served by 1.5Attack - 2Cruise - 2Conso - 3Stab

Can't believe I've been on this site for over a week now, and only just found this thread!! It's hilarious!!!!

Many thanks Joodle for doing this, it's now going to be the highlight of my day!!

Back