Dukan Live Chats in a Nutshell

Here are the key points from the live chat from Thursday 2nd August. [While working on this one, I spent a lot of time feeling like an extra from the film 'The Life of Brian'. You know, the bit where they're listening to the prophet and they start going "he's making it up, he's making it up as he goes along" He's Making It Up As He Goes Along - YouTube. Anyway, here's the deal:

- Swede is allowed in Cruise, but no more than 200g per week and if you have this, you cannot have carrots, artichokes nor beetroots in the same week. [EH??? Where did this come from?????
- It's best to use Dijon mustard, as the "à l'ancienne" (wholegrain) one contain some grains, although you can use it if you really have no choice.
- It's best not to have more than 8 crab sticks a day as they contain some carbs, but you can have one or two more even though it's not really recommended. [Nice and clear then]
- You can drink sugar free cordial if it is sugar free and doesn't contain more than one calorie per glass and no fruit juice at all
- Recommended cheap proteins: frozen fish, tuna in brine, prawns in brine, chicken slices, ham, tofu, Quorn mince

My favourite question of the chat: "I would like to know which alcohol I can drink if I'm going to lapse please" Just love the innocence of it. (Sid, was that you??)

i find the best wine for a lapse has got to be the one in the bottle with the highest percentage of alcohol ... lol xx ;)

• Key points from the live chat of Friday, the 3rd of August (a very, very lean chat):

- You can have up to 1 teaspoon of tinned tomatoes, passata or puree on PP days, providing they don't contain added fat or sugar. They're then unrestricted on PV days.
    - From the consolidation phase when you're allowed pasta, they advise you to soak it in skimmed milk before cooking it [No explanation given here, just do it, ok??]

My favourite question and answer of this chat?

Q: Hello, My weight hasn't dropped at all in the last two days. I've been chewing a lot of sugar free gum and eating a fair bit of tofu. Is this a problem? Is this why I'm not losing weight?
    A: I had a quick look at your weight curve and can see some fluctuation in your weightloss. The reason is also visible there - the lapses. Fries, pizza, cakes, bread, vegetables on PP days...

Words fail me, but I love it!

Next chat is tomorrow night, I'll report it as soon as I can.

i find the best wine for a lapse has got to be the one in the bottle with the highest percentage of alcohol ... lol xx ;)

Charly, you need to sign up as a Dukan live chat moderator!!

- You can drink sugar free cordial if it is sugar free and doesn't contain more than one calorie per glass and no fruit juice at all

Seeing as most cordials are made from fruit anyway this is a bit of a daft statement. Having said that, most of them are made from fruit concentrate, so its not full juice. The WW bottles and the Asda SF ones all say 'made from fruit concentrate 10%' so its hardly any juice at all. I wonder if these are still ok?

I'd give them a try and see DF. With such a low calorie count, it's hard to believe they can do damage but if you're drinking them and the weight loss stops or slows, just try cutting them out. I see the sugar free drinks as a real treat so have no intention of cutting them out just yet! Jx

I love the assumption it'd be the sugar free gum/ tofu not the pizza and chips!

I have been having the WW ones, and drinking the Asda ones at the moment. I'm wondering if thats what has caused my bloating as I have had a drink today, but i can't remember having oen yesterday. So I will see how it goes and then do an experimient one day LOL

I love the assumption it'd be the sugar free gum/ tofu not the pizza and chips!

:8855:Exactly!

I also love that they've clearly been submitting their diaries to the Dukan team, so why they think they can then lie about what they've eaten is beyond me! You've already told them what you ate! Don't try to pretend it was only tofu!!

Here are the key points from the live chat from Thursday 2nd August. [While working on this one, I spent a lot of time feeling like an extra from the film 'The Life of Brian'. You know, the bit where they're listening to the prophet and they start going "he's making it up, he's making it up as he goes along" He's Making It Up As He Goes Along - YouTube. Anyway, here's the deal:

- Swede is allowed in Cruise, but no more than 200g per week and if you have this, you cannot have carrots, artichokes nor beetroots in the same week. [EH??? Where did this come from?????
- It's best to use Dijon mustard, as the "à l'ancienne" (wholegrain) one contain some grains, although you can use it if you really have no choice.
- It's best not to have more than 8 crab sticks a day as they contain some carbs, but you can have one or two more even though it's not really recommended. [Nice and clear then]
- Recommended cheap proteins: frozen fish, tuna in brine, prawns in brine, chicken slices, ham, tofu, Quorn mince

My favourite question of the chat: "I would like to know which alcohol I can drink if I'm going to lapse please" Just love the innocence of it. (Sid, was that you??)

Oh my life, I'm LOLLING at my desk!!! :D :D :D

P x

• Key points from the live chat of Friday, the 3rd of August (a very, very lean chat):

- From the consolidation phase when you're allowed pasta, they advise you to soak it in skimmed milk before cooking it [No explanation given here, just do it, ok??]

WTF?! Excuse my French ;)

P x

Yeah, the pasta soaking had me going too. Found this on another site:

slimming secret of Dr Pierre Dukan

Make your own protein
pasta

During my diet, in the attack phase, pasta is not allowed.
However...
They become so from the 3rd phase onwards, the consolidation phase
which lasts 10 days for every two pounds lost (during this period, you will be
allowed pasta, two dishes a week each with 220g).

However, I know from
experience that it can happen that a dieter gives in and finds in a bowl of
pasta the gratification they need to make a fresh start. In both cases, this
secret of how to use pasta will be useful for you.

If possible choose
wholemeal pasta, it's denser, tastier and has a more distinct cereal taste.
Leave the pasta to soak for 3 minutes in some skimmed milk.

It'll absorb
the milk and you'll have an even denser, even more satiating pasta dish whose
slow sugars will be rebalanced by the protein contribution. After that, you can
mix in some tomato and a COVERING, or a light sprinkling of parmesan.

Never heard of anything like that before. I wonder if there is actually any merit to that?

soaked pasta??? never ever heard that b4!! suppose it would be ok for the creamier toppings but not too sure with the tomato sauces!! :p by the time i get to that phase someone else will hopefully have tried it so i will know xxx

Did anyone catch the thing about the flour - the gluten flour that's supposedly ok on Dukan since it's used to make seitan?? Never heard of it but am now wondering about it... on the chat they said you could use it in unlimited quantities I believe...

what what what!!!! what is this??? interested now! xx

Wheat gluten flour?

Here's the exact transcript of that part of the chat:

liviazig : Hi! I have some friends that are doing the Dukan diet and have the coach from Spain and US. They are using Gluten flour on their recipes and I was wondering if I can too and that quantity that is allowed. Thanks

Virginie : Hello liviazig! Gluten flour is the flour we used to make seitan and it is totally allowed. Have a nice day!"

This is apparently something called vital wheat gluten and I found some here:
Real Foods Organic Vital Wheat Gluten Flour Vegan, wheat free, Bulk Wholesale Online Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Of course I'm not sure what quantity is meant by "it is totally allowed" :) Would probs be nice to add some to duffins tho!

Thanks Anjuschka. I was always suspicious that you could go through cruise and conso and then in stabilisation just eat whatever you pleased with one little PP day a week as atonement. I guess, deep down, we all know that's not really possible. Not sure how they calculated the 440g of cooked starches though - seems very specific to say 440 rather than just a round number like 400g/500g or even a pound! How long have you been on stabilisation for now?

Hi Joodle I'm back from my hols!

Amazing read, your latest additions! I'd heard of the vital gluten flour (spanish recipes using it), but never pursued it. I have said it before and will say it again - I stick to the 2010 book, and what I learned via the internet ( from french sites) then and ignore most of the rest. Also if I go back to cruising now, I do have to be extra strict, and if I const/stab it I have figured out that I can be quiet relaxed and I never heard anyone refer to 'tolerateds' before in the context of the Stabilization phase.

As for me, been in Stab since last spring (2011) but struggling a bit since spring 2012... It would be fine (and it was for a long time) if I stuck to the relaxed consostab, but no, I have had too many extras recently, a week in Belgium, and recently a visit from my parents who brought among other things supplies of Belgian beer (or which DH drinks most)and goodies and a small Ballotin of Belgian choc just for me. And my DDs birthday party and birthday family Raclette meal. Still manage to eat healthily and sensibly with lots of fresh veg but I do find it harder to reign in snacking impulses and a tendency to sneak a biscuit or jam sandwich when stressed... I now have one week to catch up a bit before another week holiday at my in-laws (who are understanding sensible people but I don't want to impose a complete food regime on them so I'll just muddle through 'sans carbs'). Can I get back to target weight for my second TW anniversary? I'm not sure, and DH say he had not noticed the gain, but I must be three kilos over, and cruising now is a, harder and b, results are slower. So making it for mid-Sept after coming back from Scotland at the end of Aug is going to take a monumental effort I think.

Um... What's seitan? Not heard of that.

Thanks for putting this thread together, it's quite illuminating on the vagaries of the Dukan regime and youve got to laugh at some of the responses!

Like anjuschka im slowly discovering that stab isn't really eat all you like for the rest of your life ( well it couldn't be could it, that's what got us into trouble in the first place), it's more eat what you've learned keeps you on an even keel and be careful with the carbs and indulgences....

But that's ok, I can live with that.

Back