Dukanista's Diary: Part III!

Hey, congrats on the move, that's great news, although it does sound stressful! Can you PM me your address?

Jx

Yo! You ok out there? Have visions that you fell into a packing box and need help getting out....

Yo! You ok out there? Have visions that you fell into a packing box and need help getting out....

Joodle, she's trying to shower in a plastic bucket (or by using a plastic bucket ... not such good imagery ;)) before calling a plumber! Get on Facebook, will ya gal?! :D

P x

I'm on it...where are you all?!

Hope there's a Christmas romance around the corner I need to read that there is a good man is just around the corner joodle xxx

So do I Sid!

Hello my lovely ladies! Shower is temporarily fixed, but unfortunately I have fallen off the wagon with a big bump and put on all the weight I lost a few months back. Damn, it just creeps up on you so fast!

Partly because I've had to shelve the cycling to work for a bit - plenty of good excuses for stopping, of course - but they are just excuses.

Tried to get back on track with 2 pp days this week, but then someone brought cupcakes, and cookies, and then the department store was handing out free chocolates and champagne tonight, and, and... (Insert shameful face here).

But tomorrow is another day, so watch this space!

Cxx

Wow... Has it really been that long since I posted? And is anyone still here? I know a lot of us are on FB now, but I really miss the diary writing, to be honest...

Weightwise I'm unfortunately back to pre-dukan levels. I started dukan in 2012 and went from 60 to 55kg, and maintained around the 56 mark for about a year. Weight has crept back up to just under 60 and i need to get on the wagon.

I follow dukan-style eating most of the time, never really eat bread, pasta, rice etc. but slip up mainly on the sugar and the alcohol. I've started an experiment with intermittent fasting this week (eat stop eat, which is a 24 hour fast, once or twice a week, from dinner to dinner / breakfast to breakfast, or whatever you prefer). Loving it so far, but I'll have to see the overall result on Monday morning!

What I love so far is that
- fasting fives you a completely new perspective on food and hunger
- it is incredibly simple: no preparation, no buying complex or expensive products, no calorie counting
- it is part of our genetic makeup - something that humans were designed to do regularly
- you get to splurge on other days (although I haven't really felt the need to do so yet)
- it has many other proven health benefits besides weight loss

Please don't kick me out and make me go to another forum, though: I'm still a dukan girl at heart! And my 'off' days will be roughly dukan.

Miss you all,

Cxx

Completed a second fast day this week, and it definitely was a lot easier than the first one: I honestly think it's just down to habit, or 'unlearning' certain routines that we think we can't live without like 'I can't possibly survive without breakfast'!)

I had dinner on Thursday at 6, cycled home, and then fasted until 7pm on Friday evening. Both dinners were 'normal': roast chicken thighs, followed by yoghurt, mango and coconut on thurs, salmon, tomato and green beans with choc mint frozen yoghurt for dessert on Friday. And 4 squares of dark chocolate :) I also cycled to work and back Friday (28km total), so the return trip was at the end of the fast, and I felt completely fine. (I've been reading about the benefits of working out on an empty stomach - apparently you burn more fat and it has a bigger impact on your metabolism?)

I started the week around 59.8kg, and after yesterday's fast I'm on 57.5! More than 2k down! Of course that will go up by Monday, but I'm still hoping for a loss of 1-1.5k for the week, which would be fantastic!

Lessons learned:
* keeping busy is key: the time will go by much quicker
* drink lots of liquids (black coffee, green /herbal tea, coke zero, water...)
* throw in a sugar free effervescent multivitamin tablet during the day as an 'energy' boost
* sugar free gum and sweets are ok in moderation (but can also create hunger pangs)
* exercise during a fast can get rid of hunger pangs
* skipping breakfast and lunch is MUCH easier than sleeping on an empty stomach
* a complete fast (no calories) is actually easier than a 'low cal' fast (500cals) - fewer hunger pangs, less hassle: no calorie counting or meal planning

Goals:
* to get back to tw of 55kg (or possibly 54, to give myself a buffer)
* to get back into a regular exercise routine: cycling to work 3 times a week and fitting in some home strength training (yoga or resistance band work?)
* to maintain tw for 6 months straight
* to fit into my skinny clothes again (the ones I had altered after reaching tw the first time)
* to find a long-term eating plan that fits my lifestyle (including flexibility for holidays, special occasions, friends' visits...)

Plan:
* 1-2 days' fasting per week (mon/fri are good)
* eating normally (dukan/ paleo principles) for the rest of the week, with the occasional splurge (but no bingeing to compensate for fasting)
* exercise 3-4 times per week
* keep this up for 6-8 weeks and then reevaluate.

Sorry for the mega post, but it's really helpful for me to record my thoughts and experiences at the start of a new plan. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Cx

I think I should also give some background on why I think I've put back the weight, in case anyone thinks that dukan doesn't work.

1. Exercise: I haven't been a regular gym member for almost 2 years, and although I try to cycle to work regularly, I haven't really had a routine in the last year, or done enough strength training (I was doing spinning, body pump and insanity at my best weight).
2. I stopped the pill in jan and went onto the mirena coil IUD, which might explain some of the steady weight gain (but the hormones should have settled after 6 months, so no more excuses!)
3. Although I claim to follow dukan guidelines, it's easy to forget about all the special occasions, holidays, celebration meals, friends' visits, festivals, Christmas, World Cup, etc when dukan goes out the window. When these happen one after the other, it's easy for the weight to creep up without noticing (I'm hoping that fasting might be a good, quick way to counteract the effects).

So, those are the main culprits, and I'm going to make a real effort to avoid falling into these trap again!

Cx

Lovely to see you back on here and I'm enjoying reading your posts. You've been missed.

I've never fasted and probably wouldn't but enjoyed reading about yours! How will exercise is fit in with fasting?

I can't see your list now that I'm posting but many of those points are much the same for all dieters, I think. Keeping busy is key!

Good luck x

Hi Jo,

I've missed you guys too!

Not sure about the exercise, to be honest. The first day I fasted, I felt a bit light-headed and don't think I could have done anything at all. But I think it was mostly in my head. I did another fast on Friday and decided to cycle to work and back as I felt fine. The exercise actually distracted me from any hunger and I've been reading that exercising in a fasted state is very effective and burns more fat. In theory. I guess I could just workout on the non fasting days, which is most of the week. Either way, it's important that i do keep active to keep my metabolism up and not flip into 'starvation mode'.

Aiming to fast again tomorrow (Monday is a good day after the weekend excess) but I will see how I feel in the morning. Crossing fingers for a good overall loss for the week...

Cx

Results just in... I'm down 1.5kg from last week! Woohoo!

I fasted Monday and Friday and ate 'normally' the rest of the week (I mostly eat dukan PV style but allow myself a few treats: cheese, fruit, nuts, chocolate, wine, the odd cocktail or too...). I went to a music festival yesterday, though,and had a bowl of churros (Spanish doughnuts) and chocolate, a huge steak roll, pint of cider and half a bottle of red wine!

Last meal was around 5pm last night and I'm fasting till the same time this evening. I will probably aim for 2 fast days again this week, but drop back to 1 when I get closer to tw.

Wishing you all a happy Monday and good news from the scales this morning!

Cx

Heading off to the pub now to end my 24 hour fast! Hooray! I was working at home most of the day so it felt more difficult, although definitely doable. Definitely easier being out and about and busy!

My day consisted of:
- black coffee with dukan caramel flavouring and lots of sweetener
- copious amounts of Chinese tea
- lots of water

I'll be interested to see if there is much loss on the scales tomorrow. I'd imagine that the initial loss is bigger, but after that it gets harder to see results? Anyway, as I'm doing this to see the health effects too, and not just weightloss, I'm telling myself that it doesn't matter so much :)

Hmm, yes, as expected, scales show only a 200g drop this morning - but that's not strictly speaking at the end of the fast, as I had dinner in between (wine, potato wedges and sticky toffee pudding were involved ?).

But woohoo! I managed the fast (#3) without any problems! Will see how I go for the rest of the week and probably plan another one for Friday. And then I've got guests staying over, so it's going to be a bit trickier but probably just requires some planning.

Working at home today so I really should pull out those yoga DVDs too...

On the plus side, the scales are still showing the .2k drop even a day after the fast, so although less immediate gratification, maybe the loss is 'permanent'? Crossing fingers...

I'm on 58.1 and REALLY hoping to see at least 0.5k off this week, taking me below 57.

Yesterday was quite good: muffin and mueller light for breakfast, light lunch (pork meatballs and curry cream cheese dip - extra light), and baked fish for dinner, 3 clementines for dessert. So up till dinner it was pretty much a pp day :)

What I'm noticing on non-fast days is that I drink more water, and eat less as I'm happy to skip or delay meals - not so conscious of eating at a particular meal time. Bonus!

:)

That certainly is a bonus if your body clock isn't requiring food as regularly as before. My appetite is totally regulated by the clock!

These experiments certainly are interesting. You mentioned health benefits too? Are you keeping tabs on the nutritional side of things on MFP too?

Got to turn off now as crossing the channel and don't want to fall foul of data roaming charges!

Yes, it is a very welcome, unexpected benefit, Jo.

It's Friday fast day and I'm enjoying my black coffee in bed now. I've actually been thinking about the health benefits of IF (besides weightloss) and wondering how to measure the results. I think most of the benefits that have been researched would require doing before and after blood tests and scans and so they're beyond me. But there might be others that I can 'feel' - but not after only 2 weeks, of course!

Anyway, I've been meaning to summarize the science / theory on this, mostly for my benefit but for whoever is interested :) Apologies in advance for the mega-post, but hey, some of you might have long commutes with nothing to read :)

Part of the appeal of IF for me is of course the paleo/primal connection: the fact that our modern lifestyles are largely inappropriate for our caveman genes. Our ancestors did not have food available 24/7, and fasting between meals, hunting on an empty stomach, etc. was a normal way of life. It's funny that going without food is now seen as such a terrible thing. Whether that's a reaction to marketing and consumer culture, or because we associate hunger with poverty, famine, etc, who knows. But mention 'skipping meals' to most people and they'll tell you what a bad idea it is.

More recently, the buzz is that IF can help improve overall health and longevity. This is a pretty tall claim, but studies do back it up (mostly on animals, but the human evidence seems to be growing now).

On the weightloss side, it obviously lets you cut your overall calorie intake, but also helps by shifting your body from burning sugar/carbs to burning fat as its primary fuel, and reducing cravings for sugar and snack foods - I've experienced the second one already.

The fat-burning benefits seem to come down to glycogen. It takes about six to eight hours for your body to metabolize your glycogen stores and after that you actually start to shift to burning fat. However if you are replenishing your glycogen by eating every few hours, you make it far more difficult for your body to actually use your fat stores as fuel.

Other researched health benefits of intermittent fasting include:

* Normalizing insulin and leptin sensitivity, which is key for optimal health (insulin resistance is a primary contributing factor to nearly all chronic disease, from diabetes to heart disease and even cancer)
* Improving biomarkers of disease
* Normalizing ghrelin levels, also known as "the hunger hormone"
* Reducing inflammation and lessening free radical damage
* Promoting growth hormone production, which plays an important part in health, fitness and slowing the aging process, promotes muscle growth, boosts fat loss by revving up your metabolism, etc.
* Lowering triglyceride levels
* Preserving memory functioning and learning (and has been shown to protect brain cells from changes associated with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease)
* Decreased blood sugar concentrations
* Decreased blood pressure
* Decreased heart rate
* Enhanced immune function
* Reduced body fat

Anyway, that's the science and I guess I always knew the evidence was out there, but fasting just sounded too difficult, painful, etc. I won't lie: it's not 'fun' to be hungry, but it's also waaaaay easier than I ever imagined. It's Friday morning now and I'm halfway through fast number 4 (I've been doing Monday/Friday fasts for 2 weeks) and all I have to do is skip breakfast and lunch and then eat something around 6. And then pray for a nice surprise on the scales on Monday!

A couple of references below for the really keen :)

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/08/24/intermittent-fasting.aspx

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fi.../28/intermittent-fasting-health-benefits.aspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25549805

Happy weekend everyone!

Cx

Back